1972 Cutlass S field rescue/restoration

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2014, 04:28 PM

1972 Cutlass S field rescue/restoration

hi guys, first post and my first classic car as well. i have built many foxbody mustangs, but this will be my first classic car! i bought it from a friend, and honestly i would never have thought of an Oldsmobile as my first full build, i always envisioned a Gran Torino, but this thing is already pulling on my heart strings. i dont have the vin handy, but i will get it. we have already gutted the interior, nothing worth saving really, and got her fired right up. ordered new rear quarters, full floor pan, trunk floor and deck lid along with most of the interior. the color will be the original light blue with white stripes. i thought about paintmatching the bumpers, but it seems very un-popular. but will most definitely match the wheels. im currently torn, as it came with white vinyl, but i am not a big fan of it. also considering converting it to 4-wheel disc brakes, installed full-length headers, and dual exhaust, as if i keep it those are things i would personally want, but am afraid that it will impact the value. it also has factory AC. any and all opinions and comments are welcome! luckily my firned helping me with it all is a GM guru and has been doing body work for longer than i've been alive.

Old December 15th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome. Nice save and a great car for a build.
You can start a build thread for those who would like to follow along.
Count me in as one. Any more pics of the before the build?
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:30 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Welcome!. Great save....count me in on a build thread as well
Old December 15th, 2014, 05:33 PM

thanks, and these are the only other pictures i have for now. more work will commence after Christmas. next biggest thing will be steel and body work, then paint prep. need to clean to engine bay a good bit more as well, and replace a few minor things. i have spent countless time finding deals on parts, especially interior panels. and still not 100% on the rear spring rate to use. im using the Moog springs, and am going with the HD in the front as it will complement the 2" drop spindles that come in the brake kit nicely. im thinking the 116lb springs, and possibly cut a half coil if theres a bit too much rake. again, not trying to go crazy as i'd like to keep this as near a resto as possible, though its already seeming like a restomod. also going to need tires bad, as these tiny little 195/65 just arent going to cut it. i'd like to do some 15" crragars, but i will later on if i end up keeping it. which it is more and more seeming like i will

Old December 15th, 2014, 05:49 PM

nice

Very nice save, hope it wasnt in the field too long that will play havoc underneath, as far as changing things, exhaust etc, as long as it can be reversed dont sweat it too much. I put 4 wheel discs on my 69, put all thebits and pieces I changed in a sealed tub, anyway willbefollowing along
Old December 15th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Kjr442

I have one like this. Nice car to start with.
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:18 AM

It sat in that field for about 3 years, the frame was holding it out of the mud lol. The front bumper is bent due to it, and will need to be straightened or replaced. Which is why I had considered paint to match, as I've seen a few that look very clean that way. And i thought the door panels had black carpet, but upon further looking it may have been brown. Was that an option with white interior? And does anyone have a good Vin decoder?
Old December 16th, 2014, 03:24 AM

And my only disappointment with this car is that it only had the 2bbl 350. But, it seems to be the original motor so that is at least something.
Old December 21st, 2014, 05:44 AM

so this is the brake kit i was going to use, but i have now heard of disc brake clearance issues. so do you think i will have issues with my SSII's? also, anyone have any side mouldings?
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bansheeman6100
And i thought the door panels had black carpet, but upon further looking it may have been brown. Was that an option with white interior? And does anyone have a good Vin decoder?
They were black - yours are faded. You can get spray cans of carpet dye that will bring them back to black easily.

Your SSIIs are a later style (not the ones used in 1972) so if you want/need to change the wheels for your brakes/drop spindles, you're not veering from original/correct parts.

Terry
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:24 AM

Oh man, That's a great looking car.

I look forward to seeing more pictures of your build in the future.
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by vette442
They were black - yours are faded. You can get spray cans of carpet dye that will bring them back to black easily.

Your SSIIs are a later style (not the ones used in 1972) so if you want/need to change the wheels for your brakes/drop spindles, you're not veering from original/correct parts.

Terry
Thanks, I already ordered all new panels, jut wanted to confirm. And really, they are not the original type? How is that so easily noticed, lol. And I'd prefer not to change wheels, for now atleast. So if the discs have an issue clearing I may just rebuild the brakes to stock.
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:48 AM

Also, would lower kick panel speakers have been an option or standard? I didn't think they even were an option but I have seen a few cars with them
Old December 21st, 2014, 10:40 PM

Kick panel speakers are aftermarket only; they were never offered from the factory or the dealer. Since they can easily be replaced, I wouldn't worry about them not being factory since anyone could put the originals back in if they wanted to (be sure to keep them!).
Old December 22nd, 2014, 05:48 AM

Yeah, thats what I've decided to do. I will end up having to replaced the dash before selling it anyways, after further inspection it looks like someone may have cut the opening for the radio slightly larger. I need to measure it to be for sure. And the real speakers in the package tray are 6x9 yeah? And dash is a shallow 4x10
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:44 AM

Cutting the radio opening was fairly common back in the 70s and 80s, but the aftermarket radios had faceplates to cover that all up. I have a vintage 80s aftermarket AM/FM/cassette radio with dial tuning in my car to dissuade would be thieves from ripping up my dash. In a convertible it's all out there in plain view so I don't use modern desireable equipment.
Old December 25th, 2014, 11:55 AM

well, the project has turned a little bit more towards a resto-mod, with my latest parts order, lol. decided to order the BMR stage 2 handling package, as i wanted to update the suspension more. decided against 4 wheel discs for now, and ordered parts to build the brakes to factory for now. i will do 4 wheel discs later if i upgrade to larger wheels, sticking to the 14's for now. ordered ceramic headers, header back thrush exhaust, body bushings, finished ordering the interior, some ignition, filters, fuel pump, carb rebuild kit, weatherstripping and window fuzzies, and a few other little odds and ends. for now im planning on repainting the valve covers gold with the motor, opposed to doing chrome covers. and if i keep the car long enough, i will more than likely do an eledbrock intake and 4bbl, possibly a cam and a turbo 400 as well. but for now, im leaving the rest as is. stereo wise, ive decided to do kick panel speakers, rear deck, and a new dash speaker with a modern deck in the dash, since it is already cut for it
Old January 1st, 2015, 07:47 AM

so, the project has taken a slight little turn, lol. ended up getting a good deal on a full BMR handling pack with control arms, springs, Bilsteins, etc and got a set of 255/45R18 Nittos for a killer deal of $215 with 9/32nds of tread remaining, so i will end up using a set of 18x9 wheels. so its gone from a resto-mod to a little bit of a pro-touring car
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:00 AM
Administrator

The plot thickens, I've found that resto/repair can sometimes be a seat of the pants ride with decision making processes related to what parts are available at the time. Nothing wrong with the direction things may take. Start a build thread and document your project so other may learn from your endeavers.
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:51 AM
1971 442 conv

so, the project has taken a slight little turn, lol. ended up getting a good deal on a full BMR handling pack with control arms, springs, Bilsteins, etc and got a set of 255/45R18 Nittos for a killer deal of $215 with 9/32nds of tread remaining, so i will end up using a set of 18x9 wheels. so its gone from a resto-mod to a little bit of a pro-touring car
What are you planning to do with the stock 14" wheels/tires?
Old January 1st, 2015, 07:15 PM

Looks like you have a lot going on. The one piece of advice I can give you would be to make a plan as to how you want to build your car and stick to it. It will make a end goal more reachable and confidence when some people criticize what you are doing. some guys are hardcore perfect restoration and think that everybody should be. I like to keep my cars as original as possible, but enjoy the variety that comes from us all having different tastes. Good luck with your build . I will be following along.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:03 AM

the tires are spoken for a Ford Falcon project, but they are WAY wrong for these cars at 195/75 anyways. the wheels will be up for sale or trade, pretty much as soon as someone needs them. just means i need to make up my mind on wheels soon lol. im between a torq thrust, maybe shelby daytona repro, a chevy mag/rallye style, or a basic 5-star. if anyone has 18s, post em up, i need help! and i had a general idea where the build was going, and still do, its just evolved a bit. but since most every part is not here or on the way, theres not much room left to change my mind anyways lol
Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:01 PM
Smash

This should have been my posts as I am closing in on 1yr since I bought basically the same car. Not all my fault business had a banner year money wise but left me with no time. Space was also a problem as the Cutlass moved into bay two of my two car detached. Bay one packed. JDeere, Honda Forman, two motorcycles, snowblower, log splitter, generator etc
Well that's about to change cause this year the car gets worked. I'm Putting roof on tomorrow of my new 12X20 storage shed,
make a couple doors & all this stuff is now out of my way. Wheel the 455 motor that's been on a stand a while & a wrenching I will go. Sorry went on a little this is your thread, but I feel your excitement when reading your posts. I'm getting it back with my reborn garage space. Even got one of those tacky Olds neon signs.
I follow your build & will start posting mine very soon.
Good luck with yours one last Smash opinion If your keeping it do whatever you want. As the one post said simply hang onto old parts and put the back on if value takes a hit. My opinion (the purists say otherwise) beauty is in the eye of the dude doing the building. If your worried about resale a big fat burnout in front of the local high school usually gets it sold. Kids don't care fast & loud that's it. Maybe go to the rich kid high school. Nice job so far sorry to interrupt.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:10 PM

thanks, and good luck with yours! few things: decided on the Torq thrust wheels in 18x9, and my buddy picked up the steel today from the depot and they sent Supreme fenders, so have to send them back and re-order now. so in the meantime we will tear off the body, do the pans, frame, etc
Old January 10th, 2015, 08:26 AM

hey guys, slight turn of events. the company screwed me out of the suspension kit as it was on backorder, then tried to change the price up on me. needless to say, they will get no more of my business. anyways, for the front end i am between using this kit thn buying rubber for the rear control arms as well, or going poly bushings all the way around and going with Moog front end parts. the Moog are of course a great deal more expensive, and im thinking this kit is too good of a deal. any feedback? will also be boxing the rear control arms

http://www.jegs.com/i/Right+Stuff/965/CSK7001/10002/-1
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:26 AM
1971 442 conv

so, the project has taken a slight little turn, lol. ended up getting a good deal on a full BMR handling pack with control arms, springs, Bilsteins, etc
Can you post a link to the BMR KIT? A coworker is doing a Chevelle resto mod.
Old January 10th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Texas442
Can you post a link to the BMR KIT? A coworker is doing a Chevelle resto mod.
It can be had on jegs or summit, though there are no deals on them. Current price is around $2300 or so
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:31 PM

Another rescued '72. More pics as your project progresses...
Old January 14th, 2015, 07:57 AM

Yes sir, will do. We got the front clip off and disassembled last week, body will be coming off shortly next. Got delayed a bit, transmission in my truck took a **** and had to pull it and having a bench rebuild done. So once that fiasco is over, back to work.

And anyone have experience with the rightstuff suspension parts? It's that, moog, or O'Reilly house brand. I'm also torn between poly and rubber bushings go for the body and control arms. I'd like a bit more handing and less body roll, so I'm leaning towards poly

Last edited by Bansheeman6100; January 14th, 2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old January 14th, 2015, 02:06 PM

banshee, I used a lot of stuff from thecright stuffcibwas pleased with all of it. I purchased my suspension bits at a few places but nothing. Wrong with moog but I went with rubber as opposed to poly I also converted to 4 wheel disc, but you wont get 14s on there unless you get the special kit , I know it is a moot point for your build now.

I wanted to just kind of emphasize what bigin was saying, get an idea of what your end game is going to be and bewsre of mission creep, where the project judt gets bigger and bigger its also known as the maws ( might as well) which come even if you have the goal line established as some things just make good sense to repair or renovate while you have the thing apart.

I heard tell a guy in jersey ended up doing a full blown body off resto just because he pulled his car into the shop to put air in his tire,

While he was doing that he thought might as well change the valve stem, then as the wheel is off might as well look at the brakes, etc etc

Ya never know

Anyway enjoy your build and post pics so we can too
Old January 15th, 2015, 06:23 AM

thanks for the heads up! i just got off the phone with them, and theor parts are manufactoshore, which i expected, but they all carry lifetime warranties which is atleast a plus. i've heard horror stories about BJ issues and TRE issues in these cars, and really didnt want to do them again in a year or so. but at therightstuff's front suspension kit price of $128 for me, its hard to say no. but if i decide to go with the poly bushings, i will have to purchase those still as well
Old January 27th, 2015, 04:46 PM

Looks like a great project!
Old February 5th, 2015, 07:20 PM

latest update and some newer pictures! have now decided against the 18's, in lieu of going with a more classic muscle route. going to do a staggered 225/70/15 and 275/60/15. leaning toward a set of SSI re-pops, but also considering some TT2's. also snagged a low-mileage 200R4 today for $200, so that will get some freshening up and be swapped in instead of building the TH350. this is going to be a drivers car, and daily driven a good bit, and when i saw the deal on the OD 200R4 i had to snap it up. yes, i know things keep changing as the project evolves, but its still moving forward!

20150104_132343.jpg
20150104_132325.jpg
20150125_172719.jpg
20150125_172712.jpg
20150125_172737.jpg
20150131_144944.jpg
Old February 6th, 2015, 04:34 AM
Smash

Let me know how you address that rot bottom of the windshield. There has to be a better replacement solution for the cowl vent than that factory mesh, and it also can't be that 3 piece plastic crap from Parts place. Custom chrome might be sweet, not sure how available. Anyway Got the same issue on a smaller scale. Love the undertaking, people have parted out a whole lot less.
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:47 AM

I have the piece where the rear window sits that is in good shape already cut out of a car, if interested pm me for pics and price
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:03 AM

most recent progress as of yesterday. goal is still looking likr MAy according to my buddy doing most of the body work, we will see! also picked up a Edelbrock 1405 in a partial trade deal yesterday, so now i will be looking for a Edelbrock intake to match. it will be better for mileage, power, tuning, as well as make the linkage setup for my 200-R4 transmission easier to rig up

20150212_153256.jpg
20150212_153338.jpg
20150212_190616.jpg[/URL]
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Your moving right along.
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If you're planning to change this to a W29 looking car, it's also the time to remove the stainless rocker clips and weld them up. Also look for the FE2 upgrade (boxed control arms, body braces and rear sway bar). Since it's all apart I'm guessing you're also looking to completely replace the fuel and brake lines front to rear?
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:09 AM

I just ordered new Moog springs, center lunk, idler arm, tierod inner and outer, upper and lower balljoints, swaybar endings and bushings, front and rear control arms bushings, and a rear control arm box kit. The only thing I'm considering doing W29ish would be a rear bumper, as im doing dual exhaust and I like the inset bumper cutouts for tips. We will see where my dual kit lays the tips out, and if it's near enough to get it to line up with the 442 rear bumper I'll order it. Otherwise, I will stick with a basic Cutlass bumper. I need to order both bumpers anyways. I'm also not a fan of the lower trim and was already planning on Deleting it. I will be using the wheel well trim and the center trim though. It will be the original viking blue with white stripes on hood and decklid. Still debating on the vinyl top. I will install one at some point, but more than likely not right away.
Old February 13th, 2015, 01:15 PM

I love this thread! You build it your way don't worry about those who disagree. Just make it mechanical safe for you and others going down the road.

Quick Reply: 1972 Cutlass S field rescue/restoration