1970 brake proportion valve and brake lines

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2020 | 02:13 PM

1970 brake proportion valve and brake lines

Can someone post some pics of an original proportioning valve and brake line setup for a 1970 Cutlass S hardtop? Previous owner made some modifications and my new brake line kit is not working as I would have hoped.

Thanks
Old November 3rd, 2020 | 02:25 PM
Old(s) Fart

The factory disk brake cars did not use a proportioning valve in 1970. Olds used careful selection of the wheel cylinder sizes to balance front-to-back brake balance. Olds DID use a metering valve that mounted under the M/C that slightly delayed application of the front disks until the rear shoes contacted the drums. 1971 was the first year for the combination valve that most people call a "proportioning valve". Was this car originally a disk brake car or was it converted at some point?

This is how the metering valve is plumbed for the 1970 cars.

Old November 4th, 2020 | 02:45 PM

This is the only "valve" that was on the car. It was mounted on the top frame rail below brake booster. Car had front disc and rear drums when I got it.
Old November 4th, 2020 | 02:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jakaitis

This is the only "valve" that was on the car. It was mounted on the top frame rail below brake booster. Car had front disc and rear drums when I got it.
That is a distribution block, not a valve. This same distribution block was used on both drum and disc brake cars in 1970. I strongly suspect that this car was incorrectly converted to disc brakes by some previous owner. Ignore what was there before and just do it right. If you choose to use the 1970 style disc brake configuration, with a metering valve but no proportioning valve, then you need to ensure that you have the correctly sized rear wheel cylinders for a disc brake car. If you choose to use the 1971-up style disc brake configuration, get the combination valve that replaces that distribution block. I recommend the latter approach since it is less sensitive to the rear wheel cylinder size. It won't be optically correct for a 1970 car but the brakes will be more a little less sensitve. Either configuration will work. Your call.