1969 Cutlass Convertible Pump Fluid Type?

Search this Thread

Old June 14th, 2020, 12:44 PM

1969 Cutlass Convertible Pump Fluid Type?

I have an issue where my convertible top didn’t want to go all the way down. It was close but always stayed up just a couple inches more than it used to. After reading the Fischer body manual I decided there was air in the system so I needed to bleed it and per the manual a 69 should use type A (red) transmission fluid. I got the required rubber plug, copper tube, hose and per the instructions a quart of type A transmission fluid a.k.a. Dextron III. Once I started and pulled the old plug I found the old fluid is clear. I am thinking it is break or power steering fluid. Has anybody run into this before? What do I need to do to empty out enough of the old fluid to put in the new type a fluid that I bought?

Regards,
Doug
Old June 14th, 2020, 02:01 PM

I think I answered my own question. I took a syringe with short tube and started taking some fluid out of the pump reservoir. There may have been a little water on the top because that was clear, but then the fluid below was dark and did have a red tint to it so I think it was type A fluid. I went ahead and followed the bleed procedure and everything seem to work OK.

Regards,
Doug
Old June 14th, 2020, 05:51 PM

Glad it worked out. I don't think brake fluid was used in that late of car but anyone could have changed it sometime in the last half century you never know. The fact that you think there was water at the top also points to transmission fluid. If it was brake fluid there would be no change of fluid color as brake fluid is hygroscopic and would mix(absorbe) with the brake fluid. You could also smell it and get a good idea if it was brake fluid or not.. good luck... Sorry I beat this to death..... Tedd