1967 Cutlass Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2015, 06:08 PM

1967 Cutlass Starting Issue

I got the car and it started wonderfully for winter time in Michigan. The problem is the key doesn't engage the starter. You have to turn the key on and touch two wires together. I don't know what part to replace. Any ideas?
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:15 PM

The part where the two wires are nit connected to something maybe?

Ign Switch to
Clutch or PRNDL safety switch to
junction near horn relay down to starter.

Trace the big purple wires to where they go or should go.

Look up Neutral Safety Switch to see what they look like.
Old December 28th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Where are the 2 wires you have to touch together?
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:38 PM

One is running straight to positive on the battery and the other to a connector with two wires going to it
Old December 29th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lucas Cowdrey
One is running straight to positive on the battery and the other to a connector with two wires going to it
There are only 30 or 40 connectors with two wires on that car, so maybe you could help us help you by being a tad more specific. Photos with wire colors would go a long way.

Getting back to basics, I ASSUME you are trying to tell us that the starter won't engage with the key and you have to jumper these wires to get the starter to turn, is that correct? If so, the starter circuit is quite simple. Power goes to the ignition switch. A purple wire comes out of the START terminal on the ignition switch and runs to the Neutral Safety Switch (if you have an automatic), and from there to the S terminal on the starter. If the two wire connector is the one from the NSS, it sounds like the problem is that either you aren't getting 12V from the ignition switch or the NSS is misaligned or bad. Any or these are pretty easy fixes.
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Oldsdruid

Young buck, you need to get a 1967 Chassis Service Manual- an original, the reprints are sometimes fuzzy. It will have color-coded wiring diagrams that MATCH THE CAR'S WIRE COLORS. Olds was one of the few to spend the extra money to print wiring charts in color.

Armed with that, a cheap test light and multimeter, and a decent set of tools, not much you shouldn't be able to fix on your Hairy more-door.

But you're finding out that most old cars are at least partly POS- Previous Owner's Stamp. It's not as bad on Oldsmobiles as on Chevy and Ford, but it still manages to worm its way into most any new owner's life.
Old January 9th, 2016, 05:42 AM

Thanks guys I'll try that stuff and see if it works if not I'll post pics right now I just wired up a push button to the wires