1964 Olds Cutlass holiday coupe resto

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2019, 06:44 PM

1964 Olds Cutlass holiday coupe resto

Hey Guys
Have a thought & question 1964 olds cutlass wire wheel GM#384924 the difference from the 1964 wire wheel cover to the 1965 cover is the center hub & the orientation of the center emblem! Since 1965 wire wheel covers are cheaper & plentiful. Why couldn't U remove the center hub/emblem & reorient it from 12&6 o'clock to 3&9 o'clock & bango it changes from a 65 to a 64
Ur thoughts thanks
alsmith787
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:41 PM

I don't understand what you're getting at.. How do you determine what is 12 o'clock on a hubcap?
Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cutlass Fan
I don't understand what you're getting at.. How do you determine what is 12 o'clock on a hubcap?
I'm gonna guess by the hole for the valve stem. Oh, and if that's the only difference, who's going to know that you changed it?

Last edited by 69 Ragtop; May 22nd, 2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old June 19th, 2019, 06:03 AM

64 Olds Cutlass 330 4v wire wheel cover

Thanks Guys for Ur input what I'm talking about is the spinner (ignore the wheel cover as a clock) imagine the center spinner as a clock a 64 Olds emblem is horizontal to the spinner/or pointing from 9 to 3 ---- a 65 is vertical to the spinner or 12 to 6
Now if U remove the emblem from the back of the spinner & turn it to the 9 to 3 doesn't that satisfy the OEM judging in a show/authenticity??
Old June 19th, 2019, 02:21 PM

If your putting something together to show and be judged oldspackrat (Scott) has a set that I believe is NOS for sale. He posted pictures of them over on facebook.
John
Old June 19th, 2019, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by alsmith787
Thanks Guys for Ur input what I'm talking about is the spinner (ignore the wheel cover as a clock) imagine the center spinner as a clock a 64 Olds emblem is horizontal to the spinner/or pointing from 9 to 3 ---- a 65 is vertical to the spinner or 12 to 6
Now if U remove the emblem from the back of the spinner & turn it to the 9 to 3 doesn't that satisfy the OEM judging in a show/authenticity??
I'm a Master Judge for the National Corvette Restorers Society (NCRS), having judged at the national level for over 30 years. One of the underlying NCRS principals is, "The benefit of the doubt always, always, always goes to the owner". Some Oldsmobile judge, throughout his/her travels, has looked at maybe 50 set of hubcaps - or 500 - and has noticed a recurrence of the orientation of which you speak. He/she may have deducted points for deviation from the "standard". This orientation may even have been written into a judging manual somewhere along the line. Many observed hubcaps may have even been changed to this orientation because of the way hubcaps are judged. The problem with this sort of "standard" is that it cannot be verified that every hubcap has been manufactured to this spec in every plant that manufactured hubcaps. The judging manual could mention the orientation, but should also mention that no points should be deducted for deviation since it cannot be proven that all hubcaps, when new, met this "standard". The benefit of the doubt...

Last edited by 69 Ragtop; June 19th, 2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old June 21st, 2019, 05:58 PM

64 Olds Cutlass 330 4v wire wheel cover

From the bottom of my heart 💓 & I mean it
***T H A N K. Y O U*** for Ur input much much appreciated 👍👍👏👏👍👍
Old June 23rd, 2019, 08:47 AM

Show category HELP picking CLASS - HELP

69 Ragtop
TY again 4Ur help w/wire wheels but I have another question I need help I have two Original matching numbers cars that I want to show. They are everyday drivers Not Museum in a bubble cars they are originals need help with the class I should put them in since I will be showing both 4the rest of the year AND I don't want them 2B competing with 1 another.
They R a ---> 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a police B code engine (not a 442) very rare it is dark aqua with white interior full console just about every option (actually it was Mom's car she drove till she was 70-Dad bought it 4Her New in 64)
The other car is a --> 1969 Hurst/Oldsmobile again a Original matching numbers & yes it is registered & has a Demmer registry it's engine-intake-heads-
Transmission-rear end R all correct numbered & even the SSll wheels are correctly numbered didn't know that anyway what class can I put EACH one in so I'm not competing with 1 another?
Thanks 4 the help
Old June 25th, 2019, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by alsmith787
69 Ragtop
TY again 4Ur help w/wire wheels but I have another question I need help I have two Original matching numbers cars that I want to show. They are everyday drivers Not Museum in a bubble cars they are originals need help with the class I should put them in since I will be showing both 4the rest of the year AND I don't want them 2B competing with 1 another.
They R a ---> 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass with a police B code engine (not a 442) very rare it is dark aqua with white interior full console just about every option (actually it was Mom's car she drove till she was 70-Dad bought it 4Her New in 64)
The other car is a --> 1969 Hurst/Oldsmobile again a Original matching numbers & yes it is registered & has a Demmer registry it's engine-intake-heads-
Transmission-rear end R all correct numbered & even the SSll wheels are correctly numbered didn't know that anyway what class can I put EACH one in so I'm not competing with 1 another?
Thanks 4 the help
Hi Ty. You have not said what type of show you're considering, and I don't know if you have shown cars before, so I'm going to give some basic info, some or all of which you probably already know. Showing cars can be a very rewarding experience, or it can be a massive disappointment, to the extent that you can be turned away at the gate at more formal shows because you didn't pre-register or you are not a member.

Every car show will have different classes. If you're talking about a local open show, your cars may or may not be in the same class. Some shows will be high-falutin' extravaganzas with Ferraris and Bugatis, and others will be casual affairs with the main event being an ice cream social or a church service. Some will focus on originality, others not so much. Some will focus on Oldsmobiles, others not so much.

If you're thinking about having your cars judged by the Oldsmobile Club of America (OCA), I will tell you this: You need to make your showing experience a JOURNEY, not a DESTINATION. This means that the more you prepare (and I'm not talking about just preparing the car, but learning about the organization and its judging process), the more rewarding your experience will be. If you just become a member, register and haul your car to the National Meet, you probably won't have a happy result. Here's an informative link, and I'm sure there are others on this forum: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...in-oca-133491/

All that said, you might consider starting a new thread with the question you have asked here - maybe even in the Newbie Forum, but wherever you feel it's appropriate. Add a few specifics like the type of shows you're interested in, describe your cars and what you want to accomplish, and see where your journey takes you.

Last edited by 69 Ragtop; June 25th, 2019 at 12:20 AM.