Monroe SensaTrac woes, but loving my new Moog springs

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Monroe SensaTrac woes, but loving my new Moog springs

This is just a rant, my opinion based on my experience owning these shocks, don't take this as scientific at all. Redneck science gets challenged all the time, please don't challenge mine.

So, in the past 5,000 miles I blew out all four Monroe SensaTrac shocks (On worn out springs). Front drivers side was leaking and locked tight, front passengers was leaking and sagging, still gotta replace the back ones before they damage my new springs. The rear passengers side shock is leaking, rear drivers side seems to be the only good one.

BUT! It doesn't stop there, I ordered these shocks from Rock Auto, so I decided to get the replacement front ones local in case I had issues, so I don't' have to wait for it to ship back. So I went over to Oreily's, got two Monroe 5801's just like I had on there, one was bad out of the box, wouldn't rebound (Dead shock), so I took it back, got another, these two seem great.

However, I am rough on my car. I don't fly over train tracks at 40, hop speed bumps, or anything like that, but I do corner a bit hard, and sometimes jackrabbit off the line. I don't see why these shocks would fail completely after just 5,000 miles even WITH bad springs. I'm getting AC Delco's or something else for the rear when I replace them, ordering new shocks this Thursday when I get paid, or getting them locally.

So in short, I doubt I'll be buying from Monroe again, if their shocks can't handle being slung around corners with a full tank of fuel on bad springs, they won't survive me long on good springs either. Don't get me wrong, I love the way they rode and handled when they where new, the front ones are great for now, we'll see how that goes.

I do however love my new Moog springs (Front Moog 5030, rear Moog CC621). They ride smooth, are settling in well, the car isn't nearly as high as it was when they where first put on. It's softened out a lot too, rides like a couch, can't wait til I get the new rear shocks.

For the record, I don't feel Rock Auto is at fault with these shocks, so I won't be calling in the warranty, I know 5,000 miles doesn't seem like much for a year but I don't drive much outside the company van. I put 200+ miles five nights a week on the company van.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:36 PM
72 Olds CS

yeah ive never had monroes last for a long time, but they are inexpensive i havent bought any for a while just to soft for me. I have had very goodluck w ranchos (trucks) The set i have now have over 100k and are still firm and offer a controlled ride, well all except for one of them, that one rusted thru, i replaced w a house brand cuz that truck is rusted out as well and will be off the road in a few weeks
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:58 PM

Stay away from Monroe shocks.Put a set on a 2008 Ram 2500 and all 4 were blown out within 4 months.Vehicle was barely driveable they were so bad.Got the shocks warrantied and put a new set on.Same thing,customer was back within months with them all blown out again.
Old May 5th, 2015, 05:35 PM

I just went through this whole process of researching shocks for my Ford Explorer. Very frustrating reading reviews as one person's idea of a comfortable ride is another's being too soft or too firm. It's essentially trial and error as to what best works for you and your car. Anyway, was looking into what Rockauto categorizes as Performance shocks (an upgrade from OEM) and consensus among most was that the Sensa-Tracs were too soft and didn't last. Looked into comparable KYB's (Excel-G) and reports weren't very good on those, either. I don't do any off-roading, so eliminated the higher end shocks (i.e.; Bilsteins, Rancho 9000's, etc.). Just wanted a comfortable ride driving the streets. After much consideration, I went with Gabriel Max Controls...supposedly not too soft and not too firm. Don't have many miles on them, but like the ride so far.
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Thanks for the input, just goes to show "MADE IN THE U.S.A." don't mean a thing anymore. My job is to deliver windshields to installers for PGW, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the Chinese windshield will be nicer than the American one, but most of the time, the quality is the same. We've heard of the customers of the installers complaining about Chinese parts simply because they are Chinese, yet we have very few issues out of any of our glass, be it American or Chinese made.

My rotors are Chinese made Centric C-Tek's, they are great. Centric ONLY makes Chinese parts, but they've ONLY ever worked with the Chinese so they know how to get a good part I guess. They have the same mileage as the shocks, and they are like new. Drums are Wagner's, also great, don't remember who makes my calipers, but I could look. I guess I'll order some AC Delco shocks on Thursday, hope that goes well. Can't get good parts hardly at all any more, it's like they're hoping we give up so they don't have to make the spares anymore. I've never really had an issue with AC Delco parts, Chinese or not, so, again, I guess that's my best option. I'll let you know how that goes.