$2000 to replace all Bushings?!?

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2016, 07:51 AM

$2000 to replace all Bushings?!?

I bought this Bushings kit -------> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...132r/overview/

and was quoted $2000 to install it for labor by a shop. I realize it's time consuming but $2000 sounds pretty steep. I would do it myself but right now due to my situation, my hands are tied. Does that estimate seem ridiculously high or about right? I'm in the Los Angeles area.
Old July 16th, 2016, 08:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sammicurr86
I bought this Bushings kit -------> https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...132r/overview/

and was quoted $2000 to install it for labor by a shop. I realize it's time consuming but $2000 sounds pretty steep. I would do it myself but right now due to my situation, my hands are tied. Does that estimate seem ridiculously high or about right? I'm in the Los Angeles area.
Personally I'd call that high be a factor of two or three. A competent shop should be able to knock this out in well under eight hours. At $75/hr, that/s a LOT less than $2K.

Part of your problem is that few shops do this work anymore. Most simply get replacement control arms with the bushings already installed. I think that quote is a message that they are not interested.
Old July 16th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Lets compare, a 900 sq ft house in LA is about $250k, the same house here in Texas is probably 1/3 that cost. I'm sure the same applies to labor.
Old July 16th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Lets compare, a 900 sq ft house in LA is about $250k, the same house here in Texas is probably 1/3 that cost. I'm sure the same applies to labor.
$75/hr is not unreasonable for L.A. shop labor rates. Even if you double that, you don't get to $2K.
Old July 16th, 2016, 10:16 AM

Get another couple of quotes from reputable shops then you will get the drift of the rates in your area. Everyone wants to get rich quick, so keep your mouth shut and in 10 words or less tell them want you want done.
Old July 16th, 2016, 10:24 AM
Shoveling Snow

If you've ever replace bushings it is a bit of work. West coast price I would think would be a bit on the high side compared to Wisconsin.
Old July 16th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
If you've ever replace bushings it is a bit of work. West coast price I would think would be a bit on the high side compared to Wisconsin.
I've done bushings and ball joints on close to a dozen cars, most recently my wife's 1985 D88. The hardest part is getting the upper shock nuts off (typically I have to use a torch) and ensuring the top of the spring is properly installed in the pocket in the frame. It really isn't that hard.
Old July 16th, 2016, 01:42 PM

Do it yourself.

If the only tool in your toolbox is a checkbook, you are in the wrong hobby.
Old July 16th, 2016, 01:46 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by My442
Do it yourself.

If the only tool in your toolbox is a checkbook, you are in the wrong hobby.
I've had people say this to me, and I've considered it one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Old July 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Actually the saying goes "If the only tool in your toolbox is an empty checkbook, your in the wrong hobby"
Old July 16th, 2016, 01:56 PM
344879M363895

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Actually the saying goes "If the only tool in your toolbox is an empty checkbook, your in the wrong hobby"
Now I'll totally agree with that one. 100%.
Old July 16th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think they are telling you they don't want to fool with it but if they do you are going to pay through the nose.
Old July 16th, 2016, 09:19 PM

Do you know how to do it? Do you have the skills to do it? Do you have a shop press? These are rear control arm bushings? Its pretty easy to do, buy a press at Harbor Freight, I know its Chinese but I have one and it has worked for me doing 4 cars bushings and ball joints with no problems. Where are you located?
Old July 17th, 2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
I've had people say this to me, and I've considered it one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
Thanks for your opinion.

Since you don't add any value with your comments, you should keep them private.

Making them explicit showcases your ignorance.
Old July 17th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks for your opinion.

The reality is that the car hobby encompasses a wide range of people. There are those of us who view cars as 1:1 scale model kits and enjoy building them. There are others who prefer to drive and show them and don't mind paying others to work on them. Neither way is right or wrong, and this isn't helping answer the OP's question.
Old July 17th, 2016, 10:39 AM
344879M363895

Thanks for your opinion.

I don't get how your comment was helping the OP in any way. If they had considered doing it themselves, they wouldn't have posted about a shop doing it for them.

And making it sound like them or anyone else who offers to pay for services is "in the wrong hobby" due to the fact that they possibly don't have any "tool" but money, is just crazy. As far as I know, there are many restoration and repair shops who think many of their customers are in the right hobby.

Maybe they do the parts on the project that they have the most knowledge about. Nothing wrong with paying for some and doing some, or even paying for it all. The "hobby" is different to everyone and that adds some variety. That's a good thing.
Old July 17th, 2016, 06:03 PM

It's not that I can't do it, it's just my current situation hinders me from doing so. Regardless, I'll probably get the upper control arm bushings done by a trusty local then do the rest myself when I can. Thanks for chiming in gents.
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:34 AM

Let us know how the install goes. I'm sure you can find a local shop to do it cheaper.
Old July 18th, 2016, 06:03 AM
72Cutlass S

This is one of the best ways I have seen if you don't have a huge tool collection.
Old July 18th, 2016, 06:12 AM

Thanks for sharing that Gary, that is awesome.
Old July 18th, 2016, 07:17 AM

Thanks Gary, the guy in that "You Tube" came up with a simple way to do that job. My dad came up with a simple solution years ago about replacing broken axles on early model ,especially Fords.He found some "thin wall conduit ,that he could tap over the short piece
of the axel back near the differential , and remove it without ever taking the differential out. That way he could replace the broken axel in a tenth the time that it took the conventional
way. Made him extra money to help feed all 8 children soon after the Depression years.
Great video, Thanks
Old September 11th, 2016, 09:31 AM

FWIW you are always going to pay a premium when you bring your own parts to a shop. Its no different than trying to bring your own beer to the bar.

Also working on old stuff is a real PITA for most shops. Its rusty, its probably been screwed with before by someone who may, or may not have had any idea what they where doing, there is no flat rate manual etc.

hell I went to replace bushings on my 04 Jeep GC and one of them wouldn't go in right, and ended up making the arm un-usable.

my guess is that they don't want to screw with it, and gave you a price high enough to make it worth their effort (this is also highly dependent on how you acted when talking to them about it).
Old September 11th, 2016, 11:05 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Krom
FWIW you are always going to pay a premium when you bring your own parts to a shop. Its no different than trying to bring your own beer to the bar.

Also working on old stuff is a real PITA for most shops. Its rusty, its probably been screwed with before by someone who may, or may not have had any idea what they where doing, there is no flat rate manual etc.

hell I went to replace bushings on my 04 Jeep GC and one of them wouldn't go in right, and ended up making the arm un-usable.

my guess is that they don't want to screw with it, and gave you a price high enough to make it worth their effort (this is also highly dependent on how you acted when talking to them about it).
100% correct in every detail!.
Book repair time is ok with new stuff, if the mechanic is familiar with the job.
But years of rust and grime means fasteners might well round off or break, there could be an oily mess to work in, and if it's not a job the shop does often then that could also lengthen the time it takes to do the job.

Last year we warned a diesel Range Rover owner that his engine might not have a simple blown head gasket as he had self diagnosed, quoted him a steep price to discourage him, he had us doo the work anyway, then had a hissy fit when it turned out the engine had a cracked cylinder block.

Getting a quote like you did tells me they weren't interested, and were covering themselves for the job going wrong, not because of poor workmanship, but because the car is old and they don't know if something might break and take time to sort out.

Roger.