Loose lower ball joint socket

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2019, 06:38 PM
1968 442 Convertible

Loose lower ball joint socket

Took my front suspension off. LH ball joint was slip fit in lower arm socket. No arm damage, cracks, etc. Joint has been replaced but is not Moog brand. Anyone else experience this issue? Is it the aftermarket joint or did the socket become worn maybe during the previous press and replace? I suppose I could shrink the socket with some carefully placed taps with a hammer. Maybe some shaft loctite? Is it even an issue if there is no lateral play?
Old April 24th, 2019, 08:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

If you mean the ball joint body is loose in the lower control arm, that does happen, especially if whoever replaced it didn't get it installed straight. I've tack welded new ones in with no I'll effects. Once assembled, the ball joint is in tension and can't come loose.
Old April 25th, 2019, 05:57 AM
Gary

My Vista Cruiser had a ball joint loose in a lower control arm, apparently due to accident damage.

The car aligned correctly and drove fine. I only discovered it when I wanted to put in new lower control arm bushings.
Old April 25th, 2019, 10:02 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

It can be "fixed" like Joe said. All depends on the severity of the miss-fit.
Another method is to evenly ***** punch the joint OD and the arm ID interference surfaces, offset and evenly spaced about 4-5 punches each. Then add a drop or two or red Loctite. Can stack punches two rows too.
I've also witnessed an old skooler heat the arm socket just hot enough to drift punch the outside wall of the arm socket evenly in 8 spots, ever so slightly, to tighten it up. I dont recommend that but it worked for an obsolete arm.
I have also witnessed someone speedy sleeve one then press it in as an assembly. Not sure I do that either...but it worked.
Or simply replace the arm. Safety first.
Old April 27th, 2019, 02:19 PM
1968 442 Convertible

Moog K5103 $20. Knurled at socket interface. Good old Moog! This company has never let me down.
Old April 27th, 2019, 03:09 PM
Administrator

The Moog replacements are a tiny bit larger to assure a good fit. I deleted my post above because I thought you were talking about the tapered end in the steering knuckle.
Old April 28th, 2019, 07:47 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Hey, Eric, you can't do that who do you think you are a moderator or somethin with a measly 32 thousand posts!...lol. Your brain works like mine. I call it refrigerator eyes. Look in it for something don't see it and its right in front in plain sight, if it was a snake you'd be bitten. Then the wife says angrily "its right in front of you"!

Bry593, Eric...Good info. I wasn't aware of the knurled BJs or ones with the slightly larger OD. Good good good. We have one of the best sites out there.
No testosterone laden BS with a bunch children or ornery people, well except for Joe(I jest sir)...just the facts mam, just the facts.
Old April 28th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
No testosterone laden BS with a bunch children or ornery people, well except for Joe(I jest sir)...j
Hey, I just play to my strengths...

You kids get off my lawn!