In a jam with control arms....literally

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2019, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Glad it all finally got done, the next time will be easier...
Old June 15th, 2019, 04:07 PM

The next time?!?
Old June 15th, 2019, 07:42 PM

Ahhh...the feeling of knowing that one more project is behind you😀...despite all the frustration and setbacks, nothing compares...
Old June 15th, 2019, 08:56 PM

You got that right! And now maybe I can drive interstate without the white knuckles. I've gotten to the point where I know every nut and bolt in the car. I've done the Engine, exhaust, transmission, rear end, interior, engine again, a little body work and paint, rebuilt a few Quadrajets, gas tank rehab with new sending unit, painted ghost stripes on the hood, ....uhhh, I think that's about it. Oh! And front and rear suspension
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:26 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Mac you have done a hell of a job on your car.
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
The next time?!?
Yes. You'll be surprised how time flies and the things you fixed 20 years ago need fixing again.
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Mac you have done a hell of a job on your car.
Thanks Copper. You might have had something to do with it through the two or three hundred texts you answered for me

Originally Posted by Fun71
Yes. You'll be surprised how time flies and the things you fixed 20 years ago need fixing again.
Okay, deal. If I'm alive in twenty years, I'll think about doing it again. Lol.
Old June 15th, 2019, 09:58 PM

Hey, I'm at that point with my car. A lot of the stuff I did back in 1990 needs to be done again - the seats need to be recovered, it needs new carpet due to fading in the sun, the convertible top needs to be replaced, and it needs some AC work. I did all of this before and I can't believe time has passed so quickly and it needs to be done again. Seems like it was just a few years ago.
Old June 16th, 2019, 04:23 PM

Well if this is cyclical then I'd better start building a small block to replace the 455
Old June 16th, 2019, 05:13 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

6 different engines in 13 years , 4 different gear swaps on the rear end, transmission #3 , 1 wreck , 2 full paint jobs 2 partials , 3 different front springs , 3 sets of front shocks , 5 different sets of rear shocks , the list goes LOL. I cant leave the car alone or stop changing stuff. I have only hurt 1 engine and had 1 wreck. all the other things where just thoughts I decided to pull the trigger on LOL . My active brain is a dangerous thing. I have only 400 miles on my new engine and im planning a 455 build. It never stops. Its a blessing and a curse.
Old June 16th, 2019, 05:15 PM

You got that right! And now maybe I can drive interstate without the white knuckles. I've gotten to the point where I know every nut and bolt in the car. I've done the Engine, exhaust, transmission, rear end, interior, engine again, a little body work and paint, rebuilt a few Quadrajets, gas tank rehab with new sending unit, painted ghost stripes on the hood, ....uhhh, I think that's about it. Oh! And front and rear suspension
What size tires are you running?
Old June 16th, 2019, 06:53 PM
Running On Empty

1948 Indian Chief?
Old June 17th, 2019, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
6 different engines in 13 years , 4 different gear swaps on the rear end, transmission #3 , 1 wreck , 2 full paint jobs 2 partials , 3 different front springs , 3 sets of front shocks , 5 different sets of rear shocks , the list goes LOL. I cant leave the car alone or stop changing stuff. I have only hurt 1 engine and had 1 wreck. all the other things where just thoughts I decided to pull the trigger on LOL . My active brain is a dangerous thing. I have only 400 miles on my new engine and im planning a 455 build. It never stops. Its a blessing and a curse.
You? A 455? That's awesome! You're going to tear up the track! If you go .030 over, I have the piston ring compressor / installer from Summit. 4.155" if memory serves.

Originally Posted by 72455
What size tires are you running?
235 60r15 in front, 275 60r15 in the rear. Makes it hard to carry a spare, lol.

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
1948 Indian Chief?
It's a Chief but I think it's a little earlier. I don't rightly remember. It's not mine. I wish it was!
Old June 17th, 2019, 05:52 AM
Joe Ralph

Okay, so yeah, those bushings crushed okay. It was very very tight but it got there. And that driver's eyelet looks better too. Much easier tightening that with weight on the wheels. That gave me room to get a ratcheting combination wrench on there.
Header bolts are in. It was just one of those things. The garage that did my alignment got one of the back header bolts in for me but couldn't get the other. This morning I walked out there and it went right in, on the first try!
And today, just when I was finishing up, I had a front shock puke all over the floor. These were the KYB Gas-adjust shocks; not cheap and just a couple years old. But to be fair, I had to grind the mounting forks down a little to get them to fit inside the LCAs so I must have overheated them (even though I was dipping them in water every few seconds).
Anyway, I'm done. And now it's raining (of course) but maybe tomorrow I can test it out. It is Father's Day after all
Thanks for all the help with this project. It certainly wasn't my favorite of everything I've done to this car but at least it was successful and the car is now road-worthy.

Awesome! Looks great Mac! I’m just now reassembling my control arms hehe - have to detour to mini van brakes ughh - then clean up the frame and start tossing it back together - if it would just stop raining when I’m not working that would be great
Old June 17th, 2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by 72442455
- have to detour to mini van brakes ughh - then clean up the frame and start tossing it back together - if it would just stop raining when I’m not working that would be great
Welcome to my world ..lol
Old June 17th, 2019, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by 72442455
Awesome! Looks great Mac! I’m just now reassembling my control arms hehe - have to detour to mini van brakes ughh - then clean up the frame and start tossing it back together - if it would just stop raining when I’m not working that would be great
Thanks man. But I feel your pain; it won't stop raining here either. I think I've driven it all of about 5 miles since I got it done. And I need brakes on my truck but I need a few days off, lol. Let me know if you have any questions when you start assembling but really, my biggest problem was installing the springs in these tubulars with the soft (ish) spring pads in the lowers. I couldn't just pry the spring into the hole and had to use spring compressors. That and I had a shock puke its fluid all over the floor when I was finalizing the last step of the rebuild. Sigh....
You should have an easier time with the stock arms. And do you have ramps? It made torquing the LCA bolts a lot easier. More room for the wrench.
Old June 23rd, 2019, 03:43 PM
Joe Ralph

Thanks man. But I feel your pain; it won't stop raining here either. I think I've driven it all of about 5 miles since I got it done. And I need brakes on my truck but I need a few days off, lol. Let me know if you have any questions when you start assembling but really, my biggest problem was installing the springs in these tubulars with the soft (ish) spring pads in the lowers. I couldn't just pry the spring into the hole and had to use spring compressors. That and I had a shock puke its fluid all over the floor when I was finalizing the last step of the rebuild. Sigh....
You should have an easier time with the stock arms. And do you have ramps? It made torquing the LCA bolts a lot easier. More room for the wrench.
Thanks Mac - had a good day today - lots of painting done - I pulled out the new front springs that have been sitting in a box since 2002 (ish) - I noticed that the spring ends are round and not flat - didn’t you encounter the same situation? How did you handle it?

No ramps - but I think I can borrow some from a friend - good idea - can’t wait until I’m at the torquing it back together stage lol
Old June 24th, 2019, 06:22 AM

Yeah man, I did have that problem with my springs, so I didn't use them. After fighting with Rockauto, they emailed me and said that I had ordered springs for a Canadian Cutlass. So I checked the listing and it didn't say a darn thing about them being Canadian, and I don't really think there is such a thing as Canadian springs. I ended up returning them and just rehabbed my old springs. Still not sure about that decision but they didn't sag when I took out the shocks and when all was said and done, I gained about a half-inch in height.
When I tried fitting those springs (that weren't flat on top) I never felt that I could get them located in the upper pocket correctly. Like, not at all!
Old June 24th, 2019, 06:35 AM
Joe Ralph

Yeah man, I did have that problem with my springs, so I didn't use them. After fighting with Rockauto, they emailed me and said that I had ordered springs for a Canadian Cutlass. So I checked the listing and it didn't say a darn thing about them being Canadian, and I don't really think there is such a thing as Canadian springs. I ended up returning them and just rehabbed my old springs. Still not sure about that decision but they didn't sag when I took out the shocks and when all was said and done, I gained about a half-inch in height.
When I tried fitting those springs (that weren't flat on top) I never felt that I could get them located in the upper pocket correctly. Like, not at all!
Argh! - well I can’t return 18 year old springs ... maybe I’ll use my original as well - Time to do some reading up on it - thanks for the reply
Old January 23rd, 2022, 01:22 PM

I have used the method that is in my 67 shop manual for 40 yrs with no problem what so ever. Its safe with no fear of a loaded spring letting loose. I could never figure out why removing the spindle was the chosen method, I tried that once and it is scary as hell. I made up my own version of the tool that it recommends by using a 5/8 all thread with coupling nuts to prevent stripping threads. I have installed taller springs this way with no problems. By removing the inner bushing bolts the A arm just swings outward allowing the unloaded spring to be removed. Support the raised front end with jack stands, remove the shocks, insert tool down thru the shock mounting hole, compress spring slightly and remove inner bushing bolts and then unscrew the upper coupling nut relaxing the spring. remove tool and the unloaded spring can be removed. To install insert spring, slide tool down thru shock hole and lower control arm and start threading the upper coupling nut till the inner bushing holes line up. These holes can be tweaked with a floor jack under the a frame using very little pressure. once the bolts are installed remove the tool.