The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

What do you like/dislike about where you live?

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2015, 04:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Fun71
Hmmm, I can think of a few things: Theakston, Morland, Robinson, Mackeson, Sam Smith, Fuller's, Young's.
But, to be fair, you can find a good glass of beer in the US these days, if you look for it.

A good pub, well...

- Eric
Old August 8th, 2015, 11:49 AM
jfb

two other things I dislike about my area 1. no fresh sword fish/I loved this in the southeast. 2. real Cuban food, only Hispanic or Italian food is close to me. my family is from the mediteranian area but I have a open mind for different food types.
Old August 12th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

We live in what the locals call the A-hole of America, nothing to do but retire if you make it that far by avoiding cancer. Nothing for kids to do but breed with any drifter that comes thru town and get them on welfare. Should of left back in the 80s when I had nothing to lose but the losers I hung with that I thought was the center of the world. This is Southern Indiana.
Old August 12th, 2015, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by s i 442
We live in what the locals call the A-hole of America, nothing to do but retire if you make it that far by avoiding cancer. Nothing for kids to do but breed with any drifter that comes thru town and get them on welfare. Should of left back in the 80s when I had nothing to lose but the losers I hung with that I thought was the center of the world. This is Southern Indiana.
Wow- I will never moan about living in London again!!
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:33 AM

Northern CT, the 4 letter word: SNOW.

Nothing much else needs to be said.
Old August 13th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by s i 442
Ha ha.

Sounds like northern Maine and New Hampshire, except that without the drifters, all the kids can do is breed with each other.

Never saw 30 year olds without any teeth until I got up there.

What with the heavily-English DNA, a lot of the faces like you might expect they used to look back in London in the middle ages, with scars, dental problems, boils, and just plain used-up-ness (oh, and the odor of unwashed clothes and wood smoke).

A boy learns a lot when he leaves the big city.

- Eric
Old August 13th, 2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Ha ha.

What with the heavily-English DNA, a lot of the faces like you might expect they used to look back in London in the middle ages, with scars, dental problems, boils, and just plain used-up-ness (oh, and the odor of unwashed clothes and wood smoke).

- Eric
Not so sure about the Middle Ages, sounds more like a typical Friday night out in the East End but now they use a veil to cover their faces, doesn't stop that smell though!!
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:08 PM

Did I mention I hate Phoenix summers?
You know it's hot when you're happy that it "cools down" to 104º.
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:12 PM

But it's a dry heat...........
Old August 13th, 2015, 07:40 PM

When I lived in AZ I learned there were two seasons... Summer and almost Summer.
Old August 14th, 2015, 03:45 AM

I dislike communism.
Old August 14th, 2015, 04:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Destructor
I dislike communism.
Now, now. You can't say you don't like it unless you've tried it.

Now open wiiiiide...

- Eric
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Gary

Its a very affortable here. No state income tax. Cheap gasoline prices. I am a native Houstonian so I am acclimated to the hot humid summers.
Old August 18th, 2015, 07:08 AM

You all still got the Katrina rats there?
Old August 22nd, 2015, 07:04 PM

Well no one said anything about Amish so apparently that's one thing youns "you guys "can be thankful for.
Railguy
Old August 24th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Oldsdruid

What, one of them two-horse buggies outrun ya? Two-horse buggy = Amish hotrod...
Old May 30th, 2016, 05:02 AM
car nut farmer

Ha ha.

Sounds like northern Maine and New Hampshire, except that without the drifters, all the kids can do is breed with each other.

- Eric

Gotta love rural America.
Old May 30th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Forward into the Past

I'm in central North Carolina, about half an hour from the Virginia line. The city where I live is more suburban than urban. The cost of living and the pace of life aren't too bad, but the heat and humidity are a little oppressive in the summertime, as is our benighted legislature year-round.
Old May 31st, 2018, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by 1968_Post
When I lived in AZ I learned there were two seasons... Summer and almost Summer.
Heres our seasons..

Well, not US Citisen, but what the..

- They tax us to death
- Too lousy immigrant policy
- EU ( Brits did the only right thing and left that sinking boat )
- Current trend on our foreign policy concerning our nations defence
- "Hate" living on city, i would leave on some rural area, but wife insisted. Thankfully we have plenty big yard even being few miles of city centrum

+ Not too many inhabitants even in largest cities
+ Vast areas of forests, lakes, areas where noone lives
+ Location of our country. When planning summer trips and looking Europe's map, everything is reachable on just few days ride on car

These come first to my mind.
Old May 31st, 2018, 05:32 AM

Wow is this an old tread. I appreciate where I live for the kids. Never thought I'd move here. I'm literally 250' into Long Island, NY. That's 250' past reasonable taxes, and by reasonable I mean 7k less. I pay 14K a year for a postage stamp 40X90 & a 1,200 square foot home. Then theres the NYC 1127 tax. Traffic sucks because it's way to congested and with Uber and hipster bike lanes traffic is locked. Takes me over an hour to drive 14 miles. Every time you sneeze the town is on your *** and you constantly get hammered with taxes with any improvements you do to your home. And that's not even cost of living, which is ridiculous here. What kept me here was my job, what keeps me here now are my kids. Great area for them with many activities. Friends that leave and go else where try to talk me into doing the same. 8 more years and I'm out. That's when the last one is out of high school. The thought that I make more than double of the average person and have nothing to show for it constantly hounds me. Other states, people make less, pay a lot less to live and live with 10 times the quality of life that I have. I work 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to make ends meet. I'v e thought of NH but now I hear they are in the top 3 for taxes in the nation per state. The top place for taxes in the nation, Nassau county, NY; yep where I live. My dream state would be Utah, Oregon (never been there) or New Hampshire. People in NH are amazingly civil. I've noticed the same in Utah once you are out of the rural areas and anyone I've met from Oregon I've gotten the same feel from. Longing for that America I grew up in, not this fast paced kill or be killed world I live in now. "You step on my back and I'll try to step on yours" The car world, for the most part still has old school roots. Sure there's people out there trying to get as much as they can, but for the most part, everyone is out to help each other and maybe make a few dollars for that next project.
Old May 31st, 2018, 12:57 PM

Love Chicago for all the things to do and overall vibrancy... but can't stand the high taxes and gas prices. And high rent!
Old May 31st, 2018, 01:14 PM

" No matter where you go......................there you are"

North Atlanta, Ga

Bad, high property taxesm, crooked politician [kinda universal problem]
pollen in the spring makes my trophy blue 442 drop to look Exorcist pea green

Jack *** drivers on the crowded roads [ another universal problem]

Good, Not much cold weather, very little ice snow

If you don't like the weather, it'll change in a few days
Old May 31st, 2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by zeeke
Wow is this an old tread. I appreciate where I live for the kids. Never thought I'd move here. I'm literally 250' into Long Island, NY. That's 250' past reasonable taxes, and by reasonable I mean 7k less. I pay 14K a year for a postage stamp 40X90 & a 1,200 square foot home. Then theres the NYC 1127 tax. Traffic sucks because it's way to congested and with Uber and hipster bike lanes traffic is locked. Takes me over an hour to drive 14 miles. Every time you sneeze the town is on your *** and you constantly get hammered with taxes with any improvements you do to your home. And that's not even cost of living, which is ridiculous here. What kept me here was my job, what keeps me here now are my kids. Great area for them with many activities. Friends that leave and go else where try to talk me into doing the same. 8 more years and I'm out. That's when the last one is out of high school. The thought that I make more than double of the average person and have nothing to show for it constantly hounds me. Other states, people make less, pay a lot less to live and live with 10 times the quality of life that I have. I work 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to make ends meet. I'v e thought of NH but now I hear they are in the top 3 for taxes in the nation per state. The top place for taxes in the nation, Nassau county, NY; yep where I live. My dream state would be Utah, Oregon (never been there) or New Hampshire. People in NH are amazingly civil. I've noticed the same in Utah once you are out of the rural areas and anyone I've met from Oregon I've gotten the same feel from. Longing for that America I grew up in, not this fast paced kill or be killed world I live in now. "You step on my back and I'll try to step on yours" The car world, for the most part still has old school roots. Sure there's people out there trying to get as much as they can, but for the most part, everyone is out to help each other and maybe make a few dollars for that next project.

Suffolk Co. is no better!!!!
Old June 1st, 2018, 04:56 AM

Also live north of Atlanta and work in the city. I agree with Jamsbo's assessment but would add -

Long commute - my fault really since I wanted acreage this time and out of an HOA setting. 42 miles or about 45 minutes early in the AM (5:30) and anywhere from an hour and fifteen minutes to 2 hours at night depending on the morons playing bumper cars on the freeway. Got 4.5 acres on the edge of the woods and love it. My previous HOA would have had me arrested for doing the car work I do now

Love the generally mild temps but have a tough time adjusting to the high humidity.

Bad - My wife's not particularly happy here. We will not stay here when I retire.
Old June 1st, 2018, 07:27 AM

I really like the school system here. My kids do well and they have a lot to offer. That makes my wife happy. It makes up for the fact that I pay close to $12k a year in property/school taxes (which I hate)

Can't beat the view either:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0060.JPG (2.11 MB, 5 views)
Old June 1st, 2018, 11:48 AM

Been living in Connecticut all my life. Tax's, way too high. Roads are terrible. State income tax, one of the highest gas tax's. Snobby rude people. Those are the hates. Seasons to a point are kinda nice. Very beautiful state and we're near the ocean. When we retire I plan on going to NC or SC.
Old June 1st, 2018, 12:43 PM

Hey Zeeke, Here's Utah for you, I was born and raised in So. Cal. but thanks to our gutless chicken **** liberal politicians it turned into northern mexico. So the wife and I took a road trip to So. Utah and found these 23 acres across the Valley from Zion National Park. We have 2 horses so they have plenty of grazing land. We pay $2150 a year in property tax, no grafiti, crime is almost non-exsisitent and it's VERY quiet. Still only about 400 miles from the kids/grandkids.
Attached Images
000_0427.JPG (1.47 MB, 4 views)
F-250 081.JPG (1.33 MB, 4 views)
Old June 1st, 2018, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gascoop
Hey Zeeke, Here's Utah for you, I was born and raised in So. Cal. but thanks to our gutless chicken **** liberal politicians it turned into northern mexico. So the wife and I took a road trip to So. Utah and found these 23 acres across the Valley from Zion National Park. We have 2 horses so they have plenty of grazing land. We pay $2150 a year in property tax, no grafiti, crime is almost non-exsisitent and it's VERY quiet. Still only about 400 miles from the kids/grandkids.
Oh, how I envy you. I'd need a little further north though to hit Powder and Alta Mountains. What for? I don't know because by the time I ever get out there I won't be able to ski anymore.

Low crime rate because the local authorities are usually less than an arms width away; S&W, Remington, Ruger, Sig... Yep, my kind of living. Enjoy every day.
Old June 1st, 2018, 01:30 PM

Ha ha.

- Eric
Eric any difference in the Hudson Valley?