The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

E mail from my employer

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2012, 06:06 PM

E mail from my employer

Short and to the point, not looking good. Last time year and a half ago we got cut to 5 hours per day 5 days a week, with a 25% layoff that went on for 10 months.

To: Department Managers

Effective October 26 2012 production quotas will be reduced by 20%, all production personal shall be limited to 32 hours per week maximum. Scheduled work shall be 7:00 am to 3:30 pm Monday through Thursday until further notice.

Last edited by a64olz; October 27th, 2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: wrong date
Old October 27th, 2012, 06:35 PM

In a very similar situation myself so I feel you uncertainty. Came back from vacation to huge labor and office cuts and was told I would have to take on more work load. Sign of the times. Who says the economy is getting better
Old October 27th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Sorry to hear. That really sucks. How can folks make ends meet when this happens. Would be better to have everyone work (3) ten hour days at one job and then be able to work for at least 3 more days at a second job. Hope this ends fast; I know it's not easy with all the other costs rising.

Crap, I remember when I couldn't get time away from work. Was doing 15-17 hour days 6 days a week for months on end. $$ was great. The one day I got to stay home with my family, I spent almost all of it asleep.
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Administrator

IMHO, you may have reached a point to where I would explore options on the future of your current career vs a new start in something else. In the past when this type of information presents itself, I start looking at alternatives. I don't know what you do for a living, but in my case, a varied skill set always led to bigger and better things.

Good luck, hope everything works out!
Old October 28th, 2012, 07:00 AM

Sorry to hear the news. I hope and pray this economy gets better soon.

John
Old October 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM

I hear you my friend. My last pay change was a cut ( actually I kinda volunteered to take it to help the cause---we REALLY got hit hard when the Obama GM restructure took place) and don't know if I will ever get it back. Keep the chin up and stay positive. Any more I say this "Any day I am six feet north of the dirt, it's a good day".
I know personally I am working harder to get less---let's see what happens in November.
Old October 28th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Cutlass Lover

That sucks. We were cut to 32 hrs. a week back in 2008/2009 for about 6 months. It hurt. We've been back to 40 hrs. now for awhile, but work is slowing down again in the steel industry. I sure hope we get a 'change' on election day......
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:02 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I had a Dream last night..I was looking in the Obituaries and saw my name.It was dated November 7th 2012 ..Ronald F Roth Sr..AKA "The Dash Board Dude" .Suddenly age 55 ..Apparently from a High Fiving Accident.With a SMILE on his Face...Leaves behind 2 sons Ronny 26 and Evan 22 and a lot of Great Friends on Classic Oldsmobile.A Memorial tribute and celebration will take place when Mitt Romney is Inaugurated .. This and your Local News ,Weather and Sports at 11:00..

Last edited by rroth01; October 28th, 2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old October 28th, 2012, 03:44 PM

state of economy

i guess people buying foriegn cars and companies moving production to china didn't help our economy,who would've seen that coming?i used to belong to an organization called the patw(put americans to work) we were trying to raise awareness of the effects of purchasing foriegn made goods,this was in the late 70s early 80s,it has been defunct for quite some time.i feel your pain.jc
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
we were trying to raise awareness of the effects of purchasing foriegn made goods
I always thought that this is one of the coolest stories in quite a while.

A builder decided to try to build a house in America using nothing but materials made in the USA, from nails to the bathtub. He was able to. The story is from last May.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/MadeInAmeri...8#.UI3Hw2csHhs

I was interested to learn that there is apparently only one U.S. manufacturer of nails now. It's called Maze Nails, and it's located in Illinois. Keep this in mind the next time you're at Lowe's or Home Depot getting some.

http://www.mazenails.com/
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Sorry to hear about your notice, but at least you are still working. Use your reduced hours to look at other opportunities. I have been out of work since June, when my co dumped a couple dozen of us immediately. I am not in financial crisis, but the uncomfortable feeling is still strong.
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:39 PM

sorry to hear. i hear of both ways. either companies are cutting back or working there people to death 7 days a week and not hiring. i am glad to have a job but my next day off will be Thanksgiving day and the next one will be Christmas day. Companies are to scared to hire with so much uncertainty and other companies cut back because they can't compete with the lowball china prices.
Old October 28th, 2012, 05:45 PM
cld
the new guy

Originally Posted by rroth01
I had a Dream last night..I was looking in the Obituaries and saw my name.It was dated November 7th 2012 ..Ronald F Roth Sr..AKA "The Dash Board Dude" .Suddenly age 55 ..Apparently from a High Fiving Accident.With a SMILE on his Face...Leaves behind 2 sons Ronny 26 and Evan 22 and a lot of Great Friends on Classic Oldsmobile.A Memorial tribute and celebration will take place when Mitt Romney is Inaugurated .. This and your Local News ,Weather and Sports at 11:00..
You can't leave us to suffer alone

in all seriousness, I feel the pain here - most of the 18-24 demographic (me included) are unemployed or underemployed. Let's hope some of the manufacturing and trades jobs come back as it gets more expensive to make things over in China.
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:05 PM
GM Enthusiast

I was laid off back in July. Cutbacks due to a few reasons, but Obamacare was the main one. So I can understand and empathize with a lot of us on here with our current situations. Hopefully things will get better soon, we can hope, right? And I am certainly not better off than I was 4 years ago.
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Cutlass Lover

Who is, Darryl?? I know we're not supposed to get political, but I just don't understand it. We're surrounded by signs on our street, and I'd really love to ask one of our neighbors to tell me what's been done for them? We are no better off after 4 years either. We paid $21,000.00 in taxes last April! We have a small business and employ 5 guys. We pay health care, workers comp, uniforms, etc... Larry busts his a$$ and for what? To pay those kind of taxes each year? We're so far in debt from buying the building and such. We have assets in the machines yeah, but we have no money, ya know??

Larry puts ads in the paper for experienced machinists, and gets no one coming in to apply. No one wants to learn a trade anymore. They just want a paycheck, and they don't want to work for it.....

I'm so tired of seeing these guys around here, in the battlground state of Ohio, that I could scream, lol! We can't afford 4 more years. If that offends anyone, I'm sorry. I just know what hasn't been done to help us. We got no help whatsoever from the small business people when we bought the building. We have the bank saying "you need to show more profit", then we have the gubment standing there with their hands out! Really makes ya want to get up and go to work. Not!

I'm sorry to hear you and Rob are not working. I didn't know. I hope things get better for both of you. Hopefully we will see an improvement in the next few months.... nuff said.
Old October 28th, 2012, 07:05 PM
cld
the new guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Who is, Darryl?? I know we're not supposed to get political, but I just don't understand it. We're surrounded by signs on our street, and I'd really love to ask one of our neighbors to tell me what's been done for them? We are no better off after 4 years either. We paid $21,000.00 in taxes last April! We have a small business and employ 5 guys. We pay health care, workers comp, uniforms, etc... Larry busts his a$$ and for what? To pay those kind of taxes each year? We're so far in debt from buying the building and such. We have assets in the machines yeah, but we have no money, ya know??

Larry puts ads in the paper for experienced machinists, and gets no one coming in to apply. No one wants to learn a trade anymore. They just want a paycheck, and they don't want to work for it.....

I'm so tired of seeing these guys around here, in the battlground state of Ohio, that I could scream, lol! We can't afford 4 more years. If that offends anyone, I'm sorry. I just know what hasn't been done to help us. We got no help whatsoever from the small business people when we bought the building. We have the bank saying "you need to show more profit", then we have the gubment standing there with their hands out! Really makes ya want to get up and go to work. Not!

I'm sorry to hear you and Rob are not working. I didn't know. I hope things get better for both of you. Hopefully we will see an improvement in the next few months.... nuff said.
Have you tried advertising on craigslist? I see a lot of employers on there now trying to find workers, since fewer people are reading the paper and using it to find jobs.
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:03 AM

Does anyone think buying up companies and raping all the profits from them re-saleing and walking away leaving them in bankruptcy is the way out and then hide your money outside the U.S to avoid paying taxes.