The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

PICTURES NEEDED FOR THE 2010 All Oldsmobile Calendar

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2009 | 09:17 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

PICTURES NEEDED FOR THE 2010 All Oldsmobile Calendar

PICTURES NEEDED FOR THE 2010 All Oldsmobile Calendar!
Its that time again Oldsmobile fans!!!!!
I need your car pictures! I need to widen the picture pool to include all that want to submit a picture,So please post them up or Email them over to:
BIGJP455@msn.com
All submissions will be added to my calendar folder, I will then narrow them down to a more resonable number then randomly draw 12 race Oldsmobiles and 12 street type Oldsmobiles,There will be 2 Oldsmobiles per month and if the right picture comes thru Iam looking for a front cover picture and some snow bound Oldsmobiles for the winter months! Good luck and send them over!

How to Photograph Your Classic Car
Achieving good photographs of your classic car is not difficult.
The difference between good pictures and bland pictures is knowing a few simple tricks, and taking the time to do it well.
WASH THE CAR!
A clean car looks far better in a picture than a dirty one.
Take the time to clean and dry the car, to clean the windows, & dress the tires. Make sure that there aren't any water spots.
This is the single most important thing that you can do.

CHOOSE YOUR SETTING
Where you photograph your car will make a big impact on how the pictures look. Try to find a setting that will make your car stand out.
For example, a red car in a sea of green grass will jump out at you, whereas a white car against a light colored stone wall will get lost.
A dramatic setting will make your car look great, and will make
for a dramatic photo.

ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS
When shooting the car, look for things in the frame that are distracting you from the car. Is there a telephone pole growing out of the roof?
Is there an object in the background that draws your eye away from the subject? Patrol the area you are shooting for debris,
such as trash, leaves, or sticks.

UNCONVENTIONAL ANGLES
Avoid the temptation to just take the picture from eye level.
Try shooting up at a low angle, which will exaggerate the proportions a bit, and make your car seem more impressive.
Another trick is to use a step ladder and shoot down on the car, giving a sort of bird's eye view.

WIDE ANGLE LENSES
The use of a wide angle lens, or by zooming your camera's built in lens to its widest setting, is a great aid to car photography.
By using a wide angle and getting in close, you get a different perspective. The area closest to the camera will seem larger than normal, while the area furthest from the camera will seem farther away.
By using this technique when shooting automobiles, it can really make the car jump out of the frame.
A wide angle lens is also particularly useful at concours events and car shows, where there is not a lot of room to maneuver, and you want to get close to the car to eliminate people and other distractions.

POLARIZER
If your camera allows the use of filters, buy a polarizer. A polarizer is quite simply one of the most indispensable tools any photographer can have. A polarizer eliminates glare and reflections, increases color saturation, and can improve contrast.
Your car, with all its chrome, glass, and shiny paint, is like a magnet for reflections. By using a polarizer, you can control the reflections, either eliminating them completely, or using them to your artistic advantage.

WHEN TO SHOOT
While you can certainly shoot your car at any time, the best light is typically found just after sunrise, or just before sunset. As the sun "travels across the sky" the lighting direction changes relative to your subject. Not only does the lighting direction change throughout the day, but the color changes as well,
from cool before sunrise to warm just after sunrise to neutral at midday to warmer near sunset to cooler after sunset. Night shots of cars can also be very dramatic, particularly if you have the vehicle in a setting with interesting lighting (neon lights, gas station, lighted signs, etc.)

LIGHTS ON?
When you're shooting, try turning the parking lights on, maybe even the headlights if it's just before dusk, just to add a little drama to your photos.
The most important rule to remember when doing photography is that there are no rules! The best pictures are typically a result of experimenting. Film is relatively cheap (and digital photography is practically free!), so shoot lots of pictures to get a few really good photos.

Heres a very good example of a street type picture..................

GIRLS IN THE PICTURE ARE A PLUS!!!!!!!

And heres a good race car one......
Old September 20th, 2009 | 06:57 PM
is Fast Enough ...

glare2.jpg
Old September 20th, 2009 | 07:02 PM
Land Yacht Captain

That would be an awesome picture if it didn't have the glare from the sun.
Old September 20th, 2009 | 08:35 PM
car guy

Here are some of my favorites. I really like the last one but the blanket in the background kinda ruins it. Could you photo shop it out?

I also might have some good action shots in two weeks. Goodguys is comming to TX and I will be running the Street Challange autocross

Old September 20th, 2009 | 09:51 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Here are some of my favorites. I really like the last one but the blanket in the background kinda ruins it. Could you photo shop it out?

I also might have some good action shots in two weeks. Goodguys is comming to TX and I will be running the Street Challange autocross

Those last two are what Iam after!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can photoshop that blanket away forever........Can you email those in the high res originals?? BIGJP455@msn.com
Old September 21st, 2009 | 05:05 AM

When are the pictures due by?
I have several nice ones, but I would like to try to get some more "creative" ones. Got a long vacation coming up in Nov, also...
Old September 21st, 2009 | 10:16 AM

You will not see too many of these...good or bad...lol

High Hopes Car Show @ Bud 8-2-09 030.jpg
Old September 21st, 2009 | 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
I think that makes it an awesome picture

Here's some from me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_5220.jpg (71.5 KB, 25 views)
DSC_5380.jpg (85.9 KB, 23 views)
DSC_5535.jpg (107.4 KB, 22 views)
Old September 21st, 2009 | 08:40 PM

Went "shooting" today. My daughter took most of these. The camera was set to 7 mp, but the file size is 72 dpi. They look a little grainy blown up. I'm not a camera wizard, so I don't know if there was a better setting to use.
Help me narrow it down! I will email the full size ones to Jerr.
#1 (my favorite)

Old September 21st, 2009 | 08:46 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

BigJerr:

Are there any particular models you are looking for or not looking for. I have some really nice shots of my friends 54 Super 88 convertible which is on my signature page.
Old September 21st, 2009 | 09:08 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
I'll have to take some new pics ...

This is a fav of mine ...

Mikes442-C0002.jpg
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I'll have to take some new pics ...

This is a fav of mine ...
Mug, that picture might work...
I did not see anything in the rules that stated the car was supposed to be assembled.......

Originally Posted by MX442
Went "shooting" today. My daughter took most of these. Help me narrow it down! I will email the full size ones to Jerr.
I like 5, 8, 9, & 11. WHERE did you take those?? Wonderful settings. Love the creativity also...
If they are grainy, make sure you have the ISO set to 50 or 100 at most. Also set compression to low or medium. Not sure if this works on your camera though since they are alll different...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; September 22nd, 2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 05:48 AM

DSC06366.jpg

redlines-2.jpg
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 04:08 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Looking good guys! Awesome shots!!!!

Make sure to send them to my email in big original high res form tho! I have alot there all ready but havent sorted them yet.......Dont forget name and year model etc....

BIGJP455@msn.com
Old September 22nd, 2009 | 04:09 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by redoldsman
BigJerr:

Are there any particular models you are looking for or not looking for. I have some really nice shots of my friends 54 Super 88 convertible which is on my signature page.
As long as there yours to share......Copyrighted pics are a NO-NO!
Old September 27th, 2009 | 10:03 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Please email the full big high res pics,Attach as a file.......please let me crop them to fit........I have alot of good pictures that are unusable becauce of tight cropping or not high enough quality..........

Email BIGJP455@msn.com
Old September 29th, 2009 | 11:10 AM

BigJerr,
I just emailed mine to you!
Old September 29th, 2009 | 01:40 PM
Cutlass driver in Germany

How do you like mine? Taken in downtown Munich, at night. I guess I am the only Olds in your Calender with a German license plate.
Old September 29th, 2009 | 01:50 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old September 29th, 2009 | 01:54 PM

What do I have to do to get such large pics into my thread reply. I just don't find a way how to do so.

Thank you

Last edited by craftsmen22; September 29th, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old September 29th, 2009 | 06:53 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by craftsmen22
What do I have to do to get such large pics into my thread reply. I just don't find a way how to do so.

Thank you

PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES YOU WANT TO SUBMITT! Unless there hosted by a outside site and if you did post them they would be absoulutly HUGE!

EMAIL ME YOUR PICS!!!!!

Pics posted on this thread 90% of the time are useless for this project..........Lots of good to awsome pictures are being wasted with guys thinking the pics they are posting up are usable and unfortunalty they are not good enough to print in calendar size and are not coming back to see what I have posted............

I need the full size huge pics right off the camara.......Minumum of 1000x750 pixels.....Pictures that dont meet this go into a special folder its marked unusable.....

No cropping please Iam paying a printing company to fix this stuff and figure the layout..
No low resoulution pics,They dont work for this project
No copyrighted images of any kind.....track photos etc.......
Post up the pics your going to send no problems showing off some,Just keep in mind I need the full versions

Attach the pictures as a FILE instead of a picture and it will come thru in full page glory,not trying to be a azz or anything just letting ya know whats up.........Thanks for all who submitted there pics!

Email addy again is

BIGJP455@msn.com
Old September 29th, 2009 | 06:55 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

[IMG][/IMG]

VERY NICE AND EXCACTLY WHAT IAM LOOKING FOR!!!!!!
Old September 30th, 2009 | 05:21 AM

How do you like mine? Taken in downtown Munich, at night. I guess I am the only Olds in your Calender with a German license plate.
AWESOME picture! Very creative!
Cruising the dark streets of Germany, on train tracks nonetheless!
Old September 30th, 2009 | 06:03 AM

Hi Rob, thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. I just love my Cutlass.
Old September 30th, 2009 | 05:02 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Hi Rob, thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it. I just love my Cutlass.

that is one of the cooler pics I have recieved!

BTTTT
Old September 30th, 2009 | 09:41 PM

I'll throw my hat in the ring

The first one's my fav, #3 and #4, Yes that is the top of the stairs that Rocky ran up in the Rocky movies, too bad that truck was in the pic
Attached Images
DSCN0861.jpg (57.8 KB, 9 views)
DSCN0850.jpg (77.9 KB, 7 views)
DSCF0014-2.jpg (64.1 KB, 9 views)
DSCF0015.jpg (81.6 KB, 10 views)
redog burnout.jpg (68.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Redog; September 30th, 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old October 1st, 2009 | 04:39 AM

can you take pics from the gallery? you have my permission if needed...65cutty
Old October 1st, 2009 | 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
that is one of the cooler pics I have recieved!
X2... Lots can be said about this one. The colors and clarity is outstanding. The blurred background focuses your attention on the car.
Also note how he is calmly checking the rearview mirror, watching out for the cop he just raced away from!
I love creative photography! I sure miss Germany also.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; October 1st, 2009 at 06:53 AM.
Old October 1st, 2009 | 12:12 PM

Hi Rob,

where have you been in Germany? Let me know if I can get you something, just to remember Germany. This picture was taken by my semi professional friend with a Canon 200mm 1,8 Lens at almost night time. I would be thrilled to be part in the Olds calendar.
Old October 1st, 2009 | 05:16 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I'm posting pics of a very interesting collection...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post111900

If you are interested in any I could send you pic via e-mail ...

carmuseum118.jpg
Old October 1st, 2009 | 05:34 PM
is Fast Enough ...

carmuseum125.jpg
Old October 1st, 2009 | 06:26 PM

When is the deadline for the pics? I may be able to get something but will it be in time?
Old October 1st, 2009 | 06:44 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Mugzilla........those are some super cool pics,Not what Iam looking for but cool neverless.......

Iam looking for artsy pictures for the front cover of the calendar.......I played around with the Germany picture for the cover and came up with this......Sorry I got rid of your head! LOL!

Attached Images
1COVER.jpg (77.1 KB, 176 views)
Old October 1st, 2009 | 06:45 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by Diego
When is the deadline for the pics? I may be able to get something but will it be in time?
2-3 weeks,,,,,, shooting for a print date in late October.......
Old October 1st, 2009 | 06:55 PM

Dude, the font on that pic from Europe . . . sorry, not workin' for me.

I am having my car shipping from Dad's, so my historic town may be a nice backdrop. Will see what I can do!
Old October 1st, 2009 | 07:39 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by Diego
Dude, the font on that pic from Europe . . . sorry, not workin' for me.

I am having my car shipping from Dad's, so my historic town may be a nice backdrop. Will see what I can do!
Just messing.........I got 5 minutes in that tops.......Send your pics as soon as you can get them..........
Old October 2nd, 2009 | 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I'm posting pics of a very interesting collection...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post111900
Hmmm... Nice shots...
Just like how BigJerr is publishing a calendar, I think it would be cool if someone did a small book of "junkyard jewels" - just pictures and captions...
I have seen SO MANY cool-looking (yet sad) pictures of abandoned / junked cars on this forum... There is just something about them - nostalgic, emotional, and lots of mystery...
"Old Cars Weekly" had one per issue called "weathered wheels" but they were just newspaper grade - I enjoyed them though.
Old October 2nd, 2009 | 06:14 AM

Hi Rob,
where have you been in Germany?
Tom,
I was there for just a few days way back in 2005 on a big Europe tour.
We did the cruise down the Rhine River, visited Rothenberg, toured the Romantic Rd, and the Castle of Neuschwanstein.
We ate at a small cafe and had the best wienerschnitzel (sp) and beer!

Let me know if I can get you something, just to remember Germany.
Well, not that you mention it, a round trip air ticket to there would be VERY nice! Thanks! A keg of their great beer would be great - or maybe a coo-coo clock that actually keeps accurate time...
(Just kidding of course...)
My coworker visits Friesing often and he brings me back chocolate. I have been trying to convince my manager to send me there, but no luck.
I see myself in Europe in the next couple of years as I want to take the Glacier Express in Switzerland. Germany and Paris are on the Agenda too.
I will holler at ya if I will be in your area - a cruise in the Olds along the German backstreets would be a real treat!
Old October 3rd, 2009 | 12:42 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Hmmm... Nice shots...
Just like how BigJerr is publishing a calendar, I think it would be cool if someone did a small book of "junkyard jewels" - just pictures and captions...
I have seen SO MANY cool-looking (yet sad) pictures of abandoned / junked cars on this forum... There is just something about them - nostalgic, emotional, and lots of mystery...
"Old Cars Weekly" had one per issue called "weathered wheels" but they were just newspaper grade - I enjoyed them though.
I have done a couple videos of wrecked muscle cars.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-AeG...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNcvz...e=channel_page
Old October 3rd, 2009 | 01:16 AM
EKi

Here's a nice picture I took this summer. I have this as my desktop background now

DSC09211-1.jpg

Quick Reply: PICTURES NEEDED FOR THE 2010 All Oldsmobile Calendar