The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Mustard

Old November 23rd, 2018, 05:56 PM
Oldsdruid

Mustard

Know there's a lot of folks on here who like good food and just wondering what some of your favorite mustards are?

Sauer's (CF Sauer Co, Richmond VA) is my favorite for a yellow, followed by Heinz. Not too big on French's- it has always struck me as a mediocre mustard. Too bright-tasting.

For a strong yellow I like Irish/Scottish style and Chinese style. Browns, Gulden is good. But my favorite has become Stadium Mustard from Cleveland. The stuff is just good! and unfortunately hard to find here in VA/NC unless you order a case of it online.

And I might add the only mayonnaise I will eat is Duke's. Blue Plate is the only other brand that comes close, but the rest is definition of nasty in a jar.

Anyone have a favorite locally-made mustard?
Old November 23rd, 2018, 08:03 PM

Brown mustard is more to my taste than yellow.. Yellow is ok on soft pretzels or dogs. I just picked up a jar of McCutcheon's horseradish mustard. Its is a brown mustard and pretty good. I love McCutcheons elderberry and blackraspberry jelly so I tried the mustard. Very happy with it. I'm not sure where McCutcheon's is available. I get it at a local farm market or a local butcher shop. I don't think I ever saw it at a supermarket.
Old November 24th, 2018, 04:47 AM

I just googled McCutcheon's. You can get it on line. Made in Md.
Old November 24th, 2018, 07:01 AM

Zatarian's
Old November 24th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Always room for one more

I went to a mustard museum once, in Mt. Horab, Wisconsin.
Old November 24th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Guldens or any deli brown mustard for sandwiches, brats, etc. Yellows are pretty similar across the board. Chinese mustard mixed with sweet and sour or duck sauce for dipping egg roll and such. I am pretty particular of sauerkraut and dill pickles. Classen seems to match my taste. Hellmans for mayo.
Old November 25th, 2018, 12:08 AM

I usually use honey mustard. It has a lower sodium content than most. My doctor said to minimize the sodium due to the elevated blood pressure. Whole Foods has a store brand (365) that is "organic" and theoretically has fewer poisons in it. The sodium is 35mg. for every 5 grams of mustard.
Old November 25th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Oh no, not again...

I prefer the German mustards; Loewensenf, scharf, Thomy Senf, scharf, or in a pinch, Kuhne hot mustard. The rest, well, doesn't do well on Knackwurst or Bratwurst or even on the European style of wieners. However, hotdogs can only be made with French's yellow death.
Old November 28th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Oldsdruid

Claussen makes good pickles and kraut, but being in Southern Vajenya Mt. Olive is the go-to here for pickles. Made in Mt. Olive NC at the corner of Cucumber and Vine!

Sometimes I can find Gedney pickles at Big Lots. I understand they're the same to Upper Midwest as Mt Olive is to here, and very tasty. Big Lots also gets European-made pickles sometimes and while the Polish and German pickles are very tasty, more of a sweet and dill flavor than just dill as we're used to, they don't seem to have much of a snap or crunch when you bite into them.

Buddy bought a kraut cutter at an auction about a year ago. I was hoping to have had some homemade kraut by now but it's still apart from where he started cleaning it. My Aunt Merle made kraut from her own cabbage and it was some good!
Old November 28th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Oldsdruid

While I'm thinking about it- anyone know what chow-chow is? Best stuff in the world to put on a bowl of beans or cabbage, or even a hotdog! It's kinda like hotdog relish but generally a little spicier. Cabbage, red peppers, spices, vinegar and sugar. I think it's more of a Southern thing since I've never seen it anywhere outside the South. Golding Farms Mrs. Campbell's and Hiatt's are two very good brands. As picky as Mama was about her table condiments, she rarely made her own chow-chow after finding Mrs. Campbell's.
Old November 28th, 2018, 11:49 AM

I can't tolerate spicy foods so I stick to French's yellow mustard.
Old December 6th, 2018, 06:11 PM
MOTORHEAD

mendocino mustard

<a href="http://www.mendocinomustard.com/">http://www.mendocinomustard.com/</a><br /><br /><a href="https://northcoastbrewing.com/brewery-taproom/">https://northcoastbrewing.com/brewery-taproom/</a><br />When I was in fort bragg california I went to a cool brewery / place to eat<br />They had killer mustard , which I raved about. Before long I found that they used the brew in the mustard and just down the road there was "the factory"<br />I bought a few cases of "samples" and tried to get it in local stores to no avail<br />All who tried it did like it<br /><br />I should call and order some!
Old December 7th, 2018, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
When I was in fort bragg california
Were you at Ft. Irwin, CA or Ft. Bragg, NC?

Old December 7th, 2018, 12:11 PM
MOTORHEAD

California

Originally Posted by Olds64
Were you at Ft. Irwin, CA or Ft. Bragg, NC?
Hi have not been to either of those..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Bragg,_California

Old December 7th, 2018, 12:31 PM

WHAT!

Old December 7th, 2018, 12:36 PM
MOTORHEAD

Wink

Originally Posted by Olds64
WHAT!