The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Moving to Oklahoma need some advice

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Moving to Oklahoma need some advice

Just sold my house and we are planning on looking around Ok in the next week or so. Looking for a smaller town within an hour of Muskogee or Ok City for medical purposes. Would like maybe 2 acres/ish with a well preferably, with a good car scene, convenient for grocery shopping, etc...
Old September 30th, 2018, 07:31 PM
same but different

Eric, Wish I could tell you what you need to know but wish you the best with your plans. I've traveled the 69 highway corridor many times. We've learned a lot from our various stops along the route. I like the muskogee area and the south if you'r an outdoorsman for Lake Eufaula. That s all I got.
Old September 30th, 2018, 09:38 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Eric:
I have to say I am surprised. Brain Lacy lives in Spiro, OK and is a member of NTOC. I know you have mete him at NTOC Zone Shows. Brian is a great guy and would be glad to help you out. I will send you a PM with his contact info in case you don't have a NTOC roster.
Old October 1st, 2018, 04:55 AM
Administrator

I've been talking with Bryan and yes he is a wealth of info. I plan on visiting with him when he gets back from the state fair get together. Janice and I have a few houses in the Poteau area to be looked at which is very close to him.
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:37 AM

Eric that's a nice area to search for a new place. That actually is not that far from our place in Royse City. About the same distance from Granbury. Hopefully the property taxes are less up there. Next year were selling this house partially because our property taxes went crazy because of the housing boom out here in Hunt county. And I want to downsize, take care of less and have the option to retire next year without any expenses for the usual-less property taxes, insurance, utilities, car parts etc. No mortgage, car payments, no CC debt-notta and spend more time at church. Good luck.
Old October 1st, 2018, 06:37 AM

Small world! Twice the week before I was up in the area - once to attend an uncle's funeral at Ft. Gibson, then to Spiro to see Bryan. The drive going northeast from McAlester towards Spiro/Ft. Smith highlighted a lot of pretty country - good luck with your move.
Old October 1st, 2018, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by therobski
Eric that's a nice area to search for a new place. That actually is not that far from our place in Royse City. About the same distance from Granbury. Hopefully the property taxes are less up there. Next year were selling this house partially because our property taxes went crazy because of the housing boom out here in Hunt county. And I want to downsize, take care of less and have the option to retire next year without any expenses for the usual-less property taxes, insurance, utilities, car parts etc. No mortgage, car payments, no CC debt-notta and spend more time at church. Good luck.
That's where I'm at... But I've been retired for almost 5 years now. Taxes are high all over Texas, Ok seems to be a lot less, the income tax is not an issue.

Originally Posted by costpenn
Small world! Twice the week before I was up in the area - once to attend an uncle's funeral at Ft. Gibson, then to Spiro to see Bryan. The drive going northeast from McAlester towards Spiro/Ft. Smith highlighted a lot of pretty country - good luck with your move.
Bryan said the prettiest part of the state is the east side, I'll find out sometime next week.
Old October 1st, 2018, 05:25 PM

there is a town 25 minutes west of Muskogee called Morris. it is a small town with a handful of businesses. however it is 5 minutes from Okmulgee that has everything. prices on homes are very cheap. most of the towns homes are built in the 80's or newer as the majority of the town was wiped out by a massive tornado in 1984. they have a very good school system. it is a growing town with lots of potential.
Old October 1st, 2018, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Schools are not an issue anymore. Thanks, I'll check it out. Sallisaw has a few promising contenders also.
Old October 1st, 2018, 09:09 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Eric, I realize schools are not an issue with you anymore. However when you get ready to sell one of these days if you are in a crappy school district it will affect your property value. Just a thought.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 06:11 AM

You must have a very good reason to move but for the life of me I cannot reason why anyone would move from Grandbury to Oklahoma tornado ally. My brother lives in Grandbury and couldn't pry him away with a tractor, great and fun city. Dig yourself a good underground storm shelter because you never know when you will need one.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Eric, I realize schools are not an issue with you anymore. However when you get ready to sell one of these days if you are in a crappy school district it will affect your property value. Just a thought.
Hopefully this is the last move, good thought on the schools.

Originally Posted by edzolz
You must have a very good reason to move but for the life of me I cannot reason why anyone would move from Grandbury to Oklahoma tornado ally. My brother lives in Grandbury and couldn't pry him away with a tractor, great and fun city. Dig yourself a good underground storm shelter because you never know when you will need one.
Granbury has tornados, in the recent past one missed our neighborhood by less than 5 miles. Hail storms are the biggest threat hear in Mayberry. Granbury is nice, but its getting really crowded and traffic sux. The city does not have the infrastructure to absorb the growth. Property taxes not only here but throughout Texas are extremely high by comparison. Water is getting so high that if you water your lawn you need a part time job. Income tax is not an issue. The lake is no longer a constant level. Property values are too high and I figured now was the time to cash in before the drop.
And lastly yes, a storm shelter is a must although Texas has way more tornadoes compared to OK. We/I mainly (she's going with it with some apprehension), figured as a couple we need a new adventure. I have not hunted in many years, there is some great fishing there, and the eastern side is very pretty. Lastly I can buy a nice house with 2-10 acres for what a starter home here costs. Economically it's a great idea on paper.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 11:04 AM

Did you check out real estate near Guthrie, OK? I'm closer to Edmond and OKC is just a stone's throw away but Guthrie is definitely a small town which should have good real estate worth looking at.
​​
Old October 2nd, 2018, 03:27 PM
Administrator

I found a few I like, however the wife wasn't as fond of them. I like the looks of Guthrie. We'll be exploring next week.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:55 PM

speaking of property taxes, they are very reasonable in morris. I own a rental property that is about 1800 sq ft.3 bdr 2 bath sitting on 6 acres right in the heart of town with a detached garage and 2 barns. property taxes are only 650 per year.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 03:44 AM

Gotta keep the wife happy. Let us know if you find any gems.
Old October 13th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Administrator

The wife fell in love with an 1800ish sq ft home on a bit more than a half acre that's currently under construction in Poteau with a great view of Cavanal Hill. About 20 min's from Bryan. Could not find a house with acreage that she liked. It does however have an extra large garage that will suite me. Its in a small neighborhood, maybe 20 homes. This is probably the better idea as we won't be spending tons of time and effort in yard work and more time enjoying life. Hopefully we'll get settled in about 3 weeks.

I also just realized that Ok. does not have 93 octane, so I'll have to redo my tune.
Old October 13th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Old School Olds

[QUOTE=oldcutlass I also just realized that Ok. does not have 93 octane, so I'll have to redo my tune.[/QUOTE]
Spoiler

Old October 13th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Spoiler

If I drank beer that might have been an issue...
Old October 13th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Eric:

Good thoughts on not spending all your time maintaining a place. If you wife like the house and is happy that goes a long way. Besides you will have a new house with a warranty. Congrats.
Old October 15th, 2018, 06:19 AM

Good to hear that you found a place. One good thing about OK is that we have 100% gasoline available. As far as I know, it isn't even available in TX.
Old October 15th, 2018, 12:26 PM
Administrator

There are some places that sell non ethanol spread around Texas, but not 91or 93 octane other than racing fuel that I've seen. The car runs fine on ethanol so that's never been an issue, just the octane level as I've got around 10.5:1 +/- compression. I think I can tune it for lower octane for the street.

Now we're trying to figure out how to get our worldly possessions to the new place that are currently stored in a 10x15 unit. Looking like Uhaul is the most economical.
Old October 15th, 2018, 07:26 PM

Well good luck with the move. I moved from central Texas last December, to Lubbock Tx. Moving the contents of the house was a piece of cake, my garage was a nightmare.
Including the house was two 26 foot Uhauls and 3 heavy loads on my car trailer after hauling 4 cars on it. Ill soon be 65 and i finally know im in the last place ill ever live. No more moving for me.
Again good luck
Steve
Old October 15th, 2018, 08:37 PM
72 Cutlass Ponca City OK

I'm in Ponca City. You get a lot for your money around here but please be aware that with low taxes you get what you pay for. We make 224000 barrels of gasoline and diesel a day. And we are planning on a 95 octane future by 2024.
Old October 18th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Can a Texan handle being an effin'g Okie?
Old October 18th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by steverw
Well good luck with the move. I moved from central Texas last December, to Lubbock Tx. Moving the contents of the house was a piece of cake, my garage was a nightmare.
Including the house was two 26 foot Uhauls and 3 heavy loads on my car trailer after hauling 4 cars on it. Ill soon be 65 and i finally know im in the last place ill ever live. No more moving for me.
Again good luck
Steve
I hear ya there... I got rid of most of the big stuff. Tools and garage stuff are down to the minimum requirements of what I need, but still a lot to move. At 60, I don't think I have any moves left in me.

Originally Posted by bigrbandit
I'm in Ponca City. You get a lot for your money around here but please be aware that with low taxes you get what you pay for. We make 224000 barrels of gasoline and diesel a day. And we are planning on a 95 octane future by 2024.
Bring on the 95as long as its not 15% ethanol. I was talking of property taxes, sales and income tax are another thing. I've found the area quite clean along the roadways. However, I will admit some roadways need repair.

Originally Posted by Koda
Can a Texan handle being an effin'g Okie?
The effin'g Okies are pretty friendly folks. I don't see any issues. I've lived and travelled all over the US and mostly everyone in between the 2 coasts are very nice. Life is what you make it.
Old October 18th, 2018, 02:50 PM
MOTORHEAD

Originally Posted by Olds64
Did you check out real estate near Guthrie, OK? I'm closer to Edmond and OKC is just a stone's throw away but Guthrie is definitely a small town which should have good real estate worth looking at.
​​
edmond is where i broke down
wow people were more than friendly

At this point I wish I was less close to "big city"

Have fun shopping for the new shop
and house too
Old October 27th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Got the car up to Oklahoma, thank you Bryan and Angela L. for letting me use a bit of their shop to store it until the house is finished. My oil leak is growing, lossed 2 qts of oil and the new Napa power booster I installed a while back crapped out. Other than that it was a great trip. It was the farthest one way trip the car went since I got it. Around 7 hours with stops and 340 miles. Glad I got new tires.
Old October 27th, 2018, 06:50 AM

Sounds like you have some wrenching to do when you get settled.. My oil leak is around the crank seal on the timing cover and it's probably because I did not install an oil slinger. I am going to try and change it out soon with removing the engine!! Lots of luck with that right??
Old October 27th, 2018, 06:57 AM
Administrator

I don't think that's my issue. It seems the leak is on the passenger side. I'll find out when I get under it.
Old November 5th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Well after spending the last 2 weeks in hotel rooms, we are going to move our vast estate in a 26' Uhaul to the new house on Thursday and hope to close on Friday. Really looking forward to sleeping in our own bed. Then I'll limp the car from Bryans to its new home and get it back to road worthiness by spring.

The house a couple of weeks ago

The view from the front porch, Cavanal Hill (officially Cavanal Mountain), is billed as the "tallest hill in the world" because the elevation of its summit is 1,999 feet (609 m), one foot short of being a mountain.

Old November 5th, 2018, 06:52 PM

Wow congratulations, that is a really beautiful area. I hope i turns out to be the best move you ever made.
Good luck
Steve
Old November 5th, 2018, 08:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Very nice Eric. You and your wife will enjoy having a brand new home. That is some really pretty country. Enjoy.
Old November 5th, 2018, 09:33 PM
MOTORHEAD

Super nice

Get the bar b situated
and then make it HOME

Old November 6th, 2018, 04:25 AM

EXCELLENT! I'm sure your Olds will like the new garage... and your wife will love it too.
Old November 16th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Wow, its been an interesting adventure so far. Finally got mostly moved in and down to the last few boxes in the garage. I hope to limp the car home next weekend from Bryan's so I can start to correct the issues in time for the spring.

We also got the internet installed today after an almosr 3 week battle with Windstream and hopefully Direct TV next wednesday.
Old November 17th, 2018, 07:30 AM
72 Olds CS

Looks like a nice area Eric good luck to you and your wife!
Old November 18th, 2018, 04:38 AM

Post some pics of your Olds in OK when you get a chance. You won't have to worry about hooligans and thieves like you did in TX, we're more civilized here in OK.
Old November 25th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Administrator

As soon as I get it home from Brians I will post some pictures. Got some of the layers of dirt from the 4 trips back and forth from Texas off of Janices Mustang at the local wash it yourself...
Old November 25th, 2018, 02:17 PM

Eric,

Windstream [ at teals in the Ga mountains] sucks

Quick Reply: Moving to Oklahoma need some advice