The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Road trip to South Dakota but no Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2018, 08:04 AM

Road trip to South Dakota but no Oldsmobile

The reason for this post is because of issue of not taking the Old's because of a bad Treadle Vac so my next best option is the Miata. Fun for me probably not so much for you guys. I was planning on doing a photo shoot as I went like I usually do but If there is not very much interest, and I can understand why I'll gust save it for the Miata guys... Your call.

My plan is to leave next Wednesday very early and try and make it to Brooking SD in hopeful two days. It most likely will end up taking three as I don't travel as ambitious as I once did. Or if I get wounder lust and get distracted and eat up a day just playing around in a place I didn't even know existed, you never know.

The purpose of this trip is to check in with my old car show buddy who moved back there a year or so ago. He wins his class awards almost every time he shows his car a 1948 4door Buick!... Nice Buick.

Well that's my plan as of today. Should you have a little time on your hands here is the link to one of my better road trips with the Old's. It was a great trip...... Tedd
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...beginning.html
Old September 12th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd, I always enjoy your road trips. You usually have a story that is maybe as good as the pictures. Keep it coming.
Old September 12th, 2018, 03:11 PM
MOTORHEAD

Have a nice trip TEDD

Warden took vacation and relatives , folks from california are here.. I will be stranded in minnesota for at least the next couple weeks

Old September 12th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Olds Fever

Enjoy your trip... Looking forward to your synopsis and picturesque scenery...
Old September 12th, 2018, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
Have a nice trip TEDD

Warden took vacation and relatives , folks from california are here.. I will be stranded in minnesota for at least the next couple weeks
Not to worry Brian there will be other trips. This guy is one of my best friends I'll be near Minnesota again..... See you then.... Tedd
Old September 15th, 2018, 03:59 PM
MOTORHEAD

Headed across the river

Football and Family
stop on over if you get down in my town

Old September 17th, 2018, 06:05 PM

Most hectic day ever!!!

I spent all of yesterday getting the Miata ready for Wednesday I mean everything, wax, polished (with a mechanical polisher) changed the oil vacuumed everything loaded the trunk with travel emergency safety stuff, you know the drill. It's show ready mostly because I will be showing it when I'm in SD.Then this morning I was going to make a quick trip to see my ex wife's mother at a rest home in Redding and guess what ? The Miata won't start, spins over over but will not fire, dead as a hammer. I didn't need this in my life at this time.... Stress,,,,time is short.

I did the usual test for fuel and spark, check for codes, nothing. I had the tow service take it to Chico to my mechanic . he is leaving for New York on Wednesday also but would try and fit me in between six other rigs that need to be finished before he leaves. It stumps him also, more stress. So the alternative is take it to Mazda because they may have the old tester that this obsolete car needs to diagnose issues, sound familiar. I get a appointment first thing tomorrow morning after begging and pleading to the service manager.... Then I get a phone call from my mechanic Steve car is running but he isn't sure why probably was a corroded wire plug but not for sure it's (5:15) Mazda closes at 5:30 and i need to make a decision do I need to cancel my appointment and have them look for a problem that isn't a problem now in the hopes they see something that Steve and I have missed or take a chance?... MORE STRESS. oh and for some reason Mazda's phone lines are now all full and I can't get through if I wanted..... I NEED A DRINK !.... Tedd
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:02 PM
MOTORHEAD

Cheers TEDD
Old September 17th, 2018, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I spent all of yesterday getting the Miata ready for Wednesday I mean everything, wax, polished (with a mechanical polisher) changed the oil vacuumed everything loaded the trunk with travel emergency safety stuff, you know the drill. It's show ready mostly because I will be showing it when I'm in SD.Then this morning I was going to make a quick trip to see my ex wife's mother at a rest home in Redding and guess what ? The Miata won't start, spins over over but will not fire, dead as a hammer. I didn't need this in my life at this time.... Stress,,,,time is short.

I did the usual test for fuel and spark, check for codes, nothing. I had the tow service take it to Chico to my mechanic . he is leaving for New York on Wednesday also but would try and fit me in between six other rigs that need to be finished before he leaves. It stumps him also, more stress. So the alternative is take it to Mazda because they may have the old tester that this obsolete car needs to diagnose issues, sound familiar. I get a appointment first thing tomorrow morning after begging and pleading to the service manager.... Then I get a phone call from my mechanic Steve car is running but he isn't sure why probably was a corroded wire plug but not for sure it's (5:15) Mazda closes at 5:30 and i need to make a decision do I need to cancel my appointment and have them look for a problem that isn't a problem now in the hopes they see something that Steve and I have missed or take a chance?... MORE STRESS. oh and for some reason Mazda's phone lines are now all full and I can't get through if I wanted..... I NEED A DRINK !.... Tedd
Sorry to hear about the car problems. Maybe you aren't destined to make that trip.........
Old September 18th, 2018, 06:52 AM

Talking

I'm going to pick the little beast up this morning and head for Redding for a test run ( about 160 miles round trip) if it runs like it should I'm out of here at 4;00 am. tomorrow. I need to getaway for sanity reasons. I can always hitchhike home if all goes badly...... Tedd
Old September 18th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Hookers under Hood

I hope everything works out Tedd, You've always been crazy, so that keeps ya' from going insane haha. Your no stranger to danger running the old stuff that many miles either !
Have a great trip and keep ur' thumb up just in case !
Cheers
Eric
Old September 18th, 2018, 05:19 PM

Tedd, if all else fails would you consider renting a car? I've done this several times when I didn't think I had anything in the driveway sound enough for a long trip. I've rented cars through Costco Travel with unlimited mileage. Then I have no stress over "is the car up to a long trip?" and can just relax to enjoy the trip. Just a thought. John
Old September 18th, 2018, 06:06 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I think the Miata is telling you to take the Olds.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 06:51 AM

Lost a day, broke down 1000 miles from home

Well problems above have returned to haunt me. The little car puked and quit in a place called Little America Nevada, lost part of a day there and most of the morning the next day. It was electrical and drove thee different mechanics in two different shops nuts trying to diagnose and find the issue. Turned out to be the shorted main relay and of all things the fuse to for the airbag which runs through the ignition system. Total of about 18 dollars in cost+ 300 in labor and two tow chargers 400 bucks. Back on the road like a speeding bullet, no one drives slow around here 85- 90 is common and I'm right there with them.

No pictures to speak of so far, way behind in time but have made it to friends house in South Dakota. More to follow...... Lost in the fifties ....Tedd
Old September 23rd, 2018, 05:48 PM
Hookers under Hood

Electrical gremlins are always a bugger to figure out. Good to hear you made it to your friends house safe and sound. Hope the rest of your trip goes well !

Cheers'
Eric
Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:47 PM

Google maps doesn't show a place called "Little America", Nevada. It DOES show a place by that name in southwestern Wyoming, right on I-80. Is that what you meant?
Old September 24th, 2018, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Google maps doesn't show a place called "Little America", Nevada. It DOES show a place by that name in southwestern Wyoming, right on I-80. Is that what you meant?
Yep Jaunty, I was two states off, and too tired to think last night.

Today we are going metal detecting and car looking for rat rod building material for Bob's future car project. Weather looks like it could rain but it has been good enough to go out side so far. Sorry I'm short on pictures but will have some on the recap..... More to come..... Tedd
Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:10 PM
MOTORHEAD

52 where in the *** are you

Tedd
What goes on??
Where are You??

All the best
Old October 3rd, 2018, 08:14 AM

Back home Brian. I did a two day run from South Dakota to Northern California , about 1980 miles total on the return trip. Though I enjoyed my visit with my friends I was pretty much shot in the energy department while I was there. It's doubtful I'll try pushing that hard again. 15-16 hours in the cockpit of a miata at 85-90 is a bit much for this old man. The car did fine after the transplant of the relay and fuse, Oh ya, I hit a chuckhole and blistered a side wall so I needed a tire also, something that also ate up time.

I saw about as many Miatas as I would have seen 55 Oldsmobile's, that is none.I guess there not as popular in the mid west as in California or I was traveling so fast that everything was a blur.

Pictures were a mess and not worth keeping, sorry I usually get a good gallery to show but this time not so much.

I have some personal issues in my life going on now and I might not be on CO for a while. I'll see you guys when my life isn't so hectic. I promise I'll do better next time...... Tedd
Old October 3rd, 2018, 11:13 AM

16 hours driving 85-90 is a bit much for this man, and I'm not that old, so don't feel wimpy.
Old October 4th, 2018, 08:16 PM
MOTORHEAD

TEDD
Glad you are home
Safe

I will call on the telephone in the next week or so
brian
Old October 4th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Tedd:
I don't know how you drove that many miles in that timeframe. I know you are slightly (only slightly) younger than I am and I don't think I could do it. I hope you are able to get the issues you mentioned resolved and back on here soon. We will miss you.
Old October 5th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Olds Fever

Good to hear you are home safe... Wishing you the best in dealing with your personal life issues...
Old October 5th, 2018, 03:22 PM
same but different

Best wishes Ted, thanks for the telling us all about it .