The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

What kind of grill should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2017, 12:13 PM

What kind of grill should I buy?

BBQ, not for my Oldsmobile or my teeth.

Anyways, my wife and I are having our backyard pool and kitchen area redone. 30+ years of wear hasn't been kind to the pool or the cast iron grill in the patio kitchen.

I've owned a Weber grill for over 10 years. I use it to grill burgers, brats, steaks, chicken, etc. Of course, it can't be used to smoke meat at a low temp. I'm considering upgrading to a kamado grill. I've had my eye on the XL Kamado Joe. I like that it has more cooking area than my Weber or a classic KJ or Big Green Egg. Plus, the build quality seems superior to BGE.

So, what type of grill do you have? Why do you like it? What advice would you give me in purchasing a new grill?
Old October 19th, 2017, 06:04 PM

I to was in a similar position as you. I was a long time Weber user looking for an upgrade. My brother in law had a BGE and I had first had experience with it. After looking at the Kamado Joe line I decided the Big Joe was right for me. The new hinge setup on it is a night and day upgrade over the BGE. The multi level configuration for the the grates and stones was a big plus as well. I have had mine for about 6 months now and after some learning to operate it over the Weber mentality I am happy I bought it.
Old October 20th, 2017, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by jeffu231
After looking at the Kamado Joe line I decided the Big Joe was right for me. The new hinge setup on it is a night and day upgrade over the BGE.
I agree, that is one of many features that sets the KJ apart from the BGE. The BGE is a little cheaper though. If I wanted to save money and buy a kamado the Akorn can be bought for $350-$500.
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:41 AM

I do a lot of grilling for large family gatherings and I like the capacity of the Big Joe for that. At some point I might think about getting one of the little ones for when it is just the wife and I. It takes more coal to get the big one up to temp and if you are just doing one or two steaks it is a bit of overkill. I have been experimenting with cooking most all of a meal on it to offset that.

I built my own roll around table for it. I could not see paying the extra for the ones they have. So I bought the standalone. The Big Joe is a beast. If you go that route, make sure you have a sturdy place for it.
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by jeffu231
I do a lot of grilling for large family gatherings and I like the capacity of the Big Joe for that.
I seem to grill for large gatherings as well at least once a month. That's why I've been considering the Big Joe and the XL BGE.
Old October 21st, 2017, 05:53 PM

I'm still a Weber guy or multiple Weber guy. My last gas stand alone BBQ sat by it's self unused on the deck for so many years that the bottom rusted out. I now use just adjust Weber's to the crowd level, works for me... Tedd
Old October 21st, 2017, 08:20 PM
same but different

You have a nice entertaining space there. A big Joe would add a lot more grilling area and I think a good choice.

To echo others, I haven't gas grilled for quite some time, its there if I need it. I'm a weber guy as well, and would get another classic weber at any time. Considering cost, that would work well for me. But that Joe is a nice one. Let us know what you decide.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 05:21 AM

Thanks for the comments gents. I should know by the end of the week. I got a quote on a Big Joe and an XL BGE almost a month ago and I need to act on it soon. The crew removed the cast iron grill and it was so far deteriorated I told them to just sell it for scrap or dispose of it. We also plan to install a mini fridge in the area to the left of the grill under the counter. I will keep everyone posted.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 05:48 AM

I'd vote for the Big Green Egg
Old October 23rd, 2017, 02:15 PM
MOTORHEAD

smoke screen

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/s...ooker-smoker-2

have not tested this one yet
I burn mostly wood in weber 21
it will smoke pig cow deer elk
pay attention to temp / vents
Old October 23rd, 2017, 05:59 PM

Pellets

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I'd vote for the Big Green Egg
Wood pellet convection stoves are worth checking out.... versatile, ez 2 clean, wood fired taste,-- eggs rock - I own an ancient 70's Japanese kamodo grill

Last edited by delta7388; October 23rd, 2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 09:06 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I am a Weber guy. I have both gas and a kettle grill. I have a ring I bought years ago that goes on top of my kettle grill that has a rotisserie that goes on it. I have used it to smoke turkeys and pork tenderloins. I have the baskets I put on the sides so the heat is indirect. I learned a trick from my nephew who works for a BBQ chain. Use one of those propane week burners to start your charcoal. You can get a fire going in a hurry. Harbor Freight has them for about 20 bucks. Best charcoal lighter I have ever used.
Old October 24th, 2017, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by 11971four4two
have not tested this one yet
I burn mostly wood in weber 21
it will smoke pig cow deer elk
pay attention to temp / vents
My father has a smoker like that. It works pretty well and is a handy addition to a Weber kettle grill.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I learned a trick from my nephew who works for a BBQ chain. Use one of those propane week burners to start your charcoal. You can get a fire going in a hurry. Harbor Freight has them for about 20 bucks. Best charcoal lighter I have ever used.
Is this the one you are talking about?

https://www.harborfreight.com/propan...ers-91899.html

Seems like a good idea. I recently bought a brush clearing torch and I thought something like that (only smaller) would be a good way to start coals. I should go pick one of those up at HF.
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:56 AM
72Cutlass S

I saw this post late. I have a grill from American Cooking Equipment. It's heavy duty stainless construction and the burners have a lifetime guarantee. Just thought I would put it out there in case anyone else is looking for one.
Old December 5th, 2017, 06:13 AM

I never saw the American Cooking Equipment grills. That would have been one to consider.

FWIW, I got a Big Kamado Joe. It's sitting in a box on my back patio right now. The guy redoing our back yard is dragging his feet. Once it's installed I will post a pic. Thanks for the tips.
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:01 AM

Use a roofing torch. Gets charcoal to cooking in about 10 min.
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:07 AM

I actually just bought one of those torches to burn brush on my property. It works almost TOO well.

I bought a small propane torch to start my grill. Now all I have to do is kick this guy's butt to finish the job I paid him to do.
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:12 AM

This thread is making me hungry
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:16 AM

OHHHH YEAHHHH!

Old December 10th, 2017, 02:47 PM
W30

I really like my webber, even cooking, best grill ive had
Old December 10th, 2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Koda

Use a roofing torch. Gets charcoal to cooking in about 10 min.

A neighbor set his summer cottage on fire last fall burning weeds around it. Insurance company totaled the cottage, and it was torn down last week. They will be rebuilding in the spring.
Old December 13th, 2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by truckman5000
I really like my webber, even cooking, best grill ive had
I still own my Weber. I've had it over 10 years. We'll see what happens when I get my kamado installed. FWIW, the contractor redoing my backyard has finally started to get stuff done. Once the grill is in I will post a pic.

Originally Posted by Junkman
A neighbor set his summer cottage on fire last fall burning weeds around it. Insurance company totaled the cottage, and it was torn down last week. They will be rebuilding in the spring.
No way!

My wife actually doesn't like me using the brush torch. I singed our privacy fence.
Old January 4th, 2018, 10:18 AM

Here's an updated pic. Still no grill, but at least the guy is getting stuff done.