The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Trailers

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2017, 03:39 PM
Always room for one more

Trailers

Hi everyone.

Wanted to know of anyone's experience with Big Tex trailers. I'm looking for either a bumper pull that will fit something very large or a gooseneck(that will fit something very large).

Don't know of anyone that has one and I've heard about 50/50 they are good or they are bad. Any real world experience with them?

Thanks everyone.

PS Very large=65 Cadillac Sedan DeVille or 80s Suburban, something along those lines.
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:22 AM
Once Olds Always Olds

I do not have any experience with Big Tex. I was like you some good some bad reviews, couldn't find a comfort level. I bought a Sure Trac 18' and I really like it. It pulls really well.
Old September 30th, 2017, 01:45 PM

Your profile says you're in Georgia so you are in luck. Douglas GA, south and east of Macon is home to at least 9 different trailer manufacturers. Just Google enclosed trailers Douglas GA and you will get all kinds of websites. I talked to a number of them and bought a 24 ft enclosed from Maxx Cargo. It was custom built to my specs and they were great to work with. Just used it for the first time last weekend to take my car back to the body shop and it pulled great. I'm very satisfied with it. Give them a cal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
20170917_094152.jpeg (1.05 MB, 11 views)
Old September 30th, 2017, 03:18 PM
Olds Fever

Are you looking for open or enclosed??? I have had a 18' open from Classic Trailers and a 24' enclosed Interstate in the past and both handled very well... I currently have a 2015 16' and a 2011 24' enclosed Well Cargo, both of which handle quite well... If you purchase an enclosed trailer be sure to include the left side access door (usually 48")... All of these trailers utilized the frame mount hitch...
Old October 5th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks guys. What I'm in need of is a fairly heavy duty goose neck flat bed. The reason I was asking about Big Tex is they are close to me and seem to be more reasonable than others. Of course you get what you pay for. Their website won't seem to load for some reason, perhaps that's a sign...
Old October 5th, 2017, 06:04 PM

I've had two different Big Tex trailers, both bumper pull.
I bought a 12 foot 35SV back in March, single axle utility trailer and sold it in May. Not because I didn't like it but the TV pilot I used it on, moved to Atlanta to shoot the first season because the Texas legislature couldn't get the bathroom bill figured out.
I've had a Big Tex 70CH tandem axle in the 14 foot size for about 16 years. I bought it to use to haul building supplies and construction trash when I was building houses and just figured it would be good if I needed to haul a car or truck. I wanted a 16 footer but the City of Dallas will let residents dump for free at the transfer station if you have a 15 foot or less trailer, bigger and you have to go to the main dump and it's rough on the deck there and really hard on my trucks. So I compromised with a shorter trailer that still hauls my cars safely and does all the other tasks I ask of it and lets me get in to the paved transfer station. I love this trailer. I bought it on a budget and got a wood deck which I've had to replace once completely and a couple of boards again last year. It pulls great, can't hardly tell it's there. It came with Loadstar trailer tires and they have been awesome and long wearing and electric trailer brakes that have given me no trouble. I didn't spring for bearing buddies back when I bought it but should have, although greasing the bearings is no big deal. I'd buy another Big Tex in a minute if I needed one. The Big Tex Trailer World is close by for me and when I needed a trailer immediately, they helped me out and had me hitched up and rolling back out in 20 minutes. I've hauled a 79 Trans Am, my 67 Cutlass to the muffler shop, a half ton Dodge 4X4, 98 Chevy Tahoe, 95 Jeep Cherokee sport, 76 Monte Carlo, and a mid 70s half ton Ford pick up with no problems and pulled vehicles back to Dallas from OKC and Houston.
The web site loaded fine for me.

Last edited by texxas; October 5th, 2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old December 5th, 2017, 04:48 AM
72Cutlass S

Go with the goose neck for sure. They tow like a dream compared to a bumper pull.