The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Irma

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Irma

Thoughts for those that may be in the path of Irma, be safe!
Old September 7th, 2017, 05:58 AM

Yes indeed. Hurricanes are definitely scary. Be safe.
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:59 AM

Sitting in LGA right now waiting for a plane to head down south. Going down with the FEMA task force to assist with the aftermath. Hope everyone out there can stay safe & have minimal issues but we are on our way just in case.
Old September 7th, 2017, 01:19 PM

Get out or keep your head down. HUGE storm, setting records. Good luck fellas.
Old September 7th, 2017, 02:36 PM
Old School Olds

Be safe everyone, after Harvey, Irma is not welcome at all. More devastation I'm afraid.
Zeeke, you be careful down there.
Old September 7th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Lansing built

Plain and simple! Get out of Florida. Take anything that is not easily replaced.

Pat
Old September 8th, 2017, 08:46 AM

Li'l Joey just got an upgrade to Class 4. Anything Irma leaves standing, Jose's going to come for.
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:36 AM
Phantom Phixer

Made my preparations yesterday . See post #1586....
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-today-40.html
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
Made my preparations yesterday . See post #1586....
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-today-40.html
Smart move Charlie. Be safe!
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:21 PM

God bless all in its path, be safe.
Old September 9th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My thoughts and prayers are with those who stay, and those who leave.

- Eric
Old September 9th, 2017, 03:58 PM

be safe, hopefully it will change course and minimal impact for folks in its path...
Old September 9th, 2017, 06:29 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Looks like the beginning of along night. Hope everyone stays safe.
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:18 AM

Was originally headed directly for us as a tropical storm in N GA but as she turned west our forecast has now dropped to more of a heavy rain high wind (top gust of 60 mph) kind of thing. The rain won't be any issue but we are surrounded on three sides by 70 foot tall trees. I have some real concerns about both my house and my shop. We will almost certainly lose power - always do in a heavy storm - but I have a generator that can run pretty much the whole hose.

Ironic thing is that Irma was my late, tiny, sweet Grandmothers name. She would be horrified to know that this storm has her name.
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:51 AM

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...172312192.html
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:00 AM

I can count at least three times in that article where that wife was disrespectful to the husband. Perhaps this country would not be in the state it is in if more men would not allow that sort of disrespect in their homes.

She insulted his work ethic, joked about "feigning compromise" just so she wouldn't get in an argument because she didn't care about his passion, then insulted him at the end of the article.

Women like this are why I'm not married.
Old September 14th, 2017, 04:39 AM

Back from deployment early due to my father passing away. Last 5 years he was wheelchair bound and, IMO, to "drugged up". Although it wasn't a real shock, you can't fully prepare yourself for these days. Ironically, his first car was a 51' Super 88 convertible in green. He had no pictures of it though. My grandmother sold it when he was deployed to Korea. Never did get a chance to put him in the Cutlass. I didn't think he was interested until I heard my brothers talking about my oldest fixing up his 56 Belle air & how my Dad would have loved to take a ride in it, just before I was deployed. Had I known I would have gotten him in the Olds.

Anyway, they flew us (NY Task Force 1) to Atlanta, GA to meet up with the team that was coming back from Harvey, then we drove to an Air force base about 2-1/2 hours south. There I was bumped from the team the next day with 11 other members due to space available on the plane and they found 6 of us a spot working with the top command (IST) in PR. They flew us 6 down on a C17 with about 70 other workers from the VA Task Force 1. Smoothest flight I've ever been on. NYTF-1 was on the next C17. My crew went to logistics to handle the moving of personnel and equipment. I was all over the north side of the island and in about 2 days no longer needed a GPS. Aside from power losses PR weathered the storm well and the people there are a resilient group. They used PR as the dispatch point for St. John's and St. Thomas & some of the PR Islands. Never went to either St. John's or St. Thomas but everyone that came back said they were devastated. There where K-9 teams from all over the country sent out as well. I think NYTF-1 is heading home soon. Not sure when the rest of the teams will demobilize. I'm not sure who covered FLA but once in PR we were not going back. Other teams could be there in less than 1/2 the time it would have taken us to get there. Losing a home in Sandy and working continuously through that storm drove me to give 120% at all times with this storm. Keep these people in your thoughts, it takes years to bounce back from this type of devastation.

These are a few pictures of NYTF-1 assembled on the beach for a 9/11 ceremony. The team is made up of NYPD and FDNY EMS & Fire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3494.JPG (178.1 KB, 7 views)
IMG_3490.JPG (178.4 KB, 7 views)
IMG_3493.JPG (170.9 KB, 7 views)
IMG_3491.JPG (156.9 KB, 7 views)
IMG_3492.JPG (199.4 KB, 7 views)
Old September 14th, 2017, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
I can count at least three times in that article where that wife was disrespectful to the husband. Perhaps this country would not be in the state it is in if more men would not allow that sort of disrespect in their homes.

She insulted his work ethic, joked about "feigning compromise" just so she wouldn't get in an argument because she didn't care about his passion, then insulted him at the end of the article.

Women like this are why I'm not married.
Well, you're not wrong. But then ...
For Mai-Lee, it was the perfect plan. She’d get some points for feigning “compromise,” a skill the local couple, married since 2012, have been working on since stints on reality TV shows “Bridezilla” and “Marriage Bootcamp” on We TV.
http://heavy.com/entertainment/2014/...as-husbands/4/

Pretty sure I'd have drowned her and blamed the hurricane.
[/quote]
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:25 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by zeeke
Back from deployment early due to my father passing away. Last 5 years he was wheelchair bound and, IMO, to "drugged up". Although it wasn't a real shock, you can't fully prepare yourself for these days. Ironically, his first car was a 51' Super 88 convertible in green. He had no pictures of it though. My grandmother sold it when he was deployed to Korea. Never did get a chance to put him in the Cutlass. I didn't think he was interested until I heard my brothers talking about my oldest fixing up his 56 Belle air & how my Dad would have loved to take a ride in it, just before I was deployed. Had I known I would have gotten him in the Olds.

Anyway, they flew us (NY Task Force 1) to Atlanta, GA to meet up with the team that was coming back from Harvey, then we drove to an Air force base about 2-1/2 hours south. There I was bumped from the team the next day with 11 other members due to space available on the plane and they found 6 of us a spot working with the top command (IST) in PR. They flew us 6 down on a C17 with about 70 other workers from the VA Task Force 1. Smoothest flight I've ever been on. NYTF-1 was on the next C17. My crew went to logistics to handle the moving of personnel and equipment. I was all over the north side of the island and in about 2 days no longer needed a GPS. Aside from power losses PR weathered the storm well and the people there are a resilient group. They used PR as the dispatch point for St. John's and St. Thomas & some of the PR Islands. Never went to either St. John's or St. Thomas but everyone that came back said they were devastated. There where K-9 teams from all over the country sent out as well. I think NYTF-1 is heading home soon. Not sure when the rest of the teams will demobilize. I'm not sure who covered FLA but once in PR we were not going back. Other teams could be there in less than 1/2 the time it would have taken us to get there. Losing a home in Sandy and working continuously through that storm drove me to give 120% at all times with this storm. Keep these people in your thoughts, it takes years to bounce back from this type of devastation.

These are a few pictures of NYTF-1 assembled on the beach for a 9/11 ceremony. The team is made up of NYPD and FDNY EMS & Fire.
Thank you all for what you have done !
Old September 15th, 2017, 03:20 AM
Phantom Phixer

Peanut butter & jelly sandwich anyone ?

A picture in a supermarket one day after curfew was lifted in Orange County (Wed.)

Lots of peanut butter and jelly . NO bread!
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:38 PM

Looks like Soviet Russia.
Old September 17th, 2017, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Looks like Soviet Russia.
Not sure what that means? We stand at attention for our fallen sisters and brothers and I'm pretty sure the Russian flag is all red with a yellow star and cycle. I guess it real easy to forget when you're so far away in IN.
Old September 17th, 2017, 08:36 AM

I was referring to the empty shelves in the supermarket.......
Old September 17th, 2017, 09:41 AM

Oh, sorry Koda. Still dealing with the funeral services so I'm not thinking straight.
Old September 17th, 2017, 10:28 AM

You're forgiven, hoss. Think nothing of it.