The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

So do you invite a "buyer " from Craigs list to your home?

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2017, 03:55 PM

So do you invite a "buyer " from Craigs list to your home?

We live in a very large city and are near the Mexican border..lots of folks from across the border "shop" here on a regular basis...the weekend garage sales in the various neighborhoods are flooded with Vans full of families from across the border...often the outcome is not good...lots of petty theft, etc...

Now to the main question...Craigs list is a huge internet draw for many folks...I've bought and sold a lot of things over the years but it's gotten pretty dangerous...lots of cases of home invasion robbery, etc when a "buyer" get's your address and comes to do more than shop. My Wife has absolutely forbidden anyone coming to the house from an ad on Craigs List. I'd guess others have an opinion on this.

The police department here and in several surrounding cities are offering a "safe zone" which is a few parking spots at the various police branch locations which are set aside for any person to person transactions...the police do not interfere or monitor but the locations are right in front of the police buldings within full view of the police on duty...I think that is a really good idea.

Curious how "trusting" other folks are...I'd taken to meeting a potential buyer or seller at a shopping center near us which is highly traveled and very busy all the time...I'm just not going to invite someone to come to my house when I have no idea who they really are.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...221-story.html
Old March 6th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Administrator

I've never had a problem, however I don't let them in the house. I do the transaction in my garage. I also live in a small town and have the 2 brothers (brother Smith and brother Wesson) security system. They also ride on a Colt.
Old March 6th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Olds Fever

I have dealt with Craig List buyers several times... Actually two of the buyers have become frequent buyers over the past couple of years and I have come to know them quite well...
HOWEVER, initially I only transact business in the "driveway"... No one goes into my house or garage (doors are always closed) when doing business... I also take note of type of vehicle and plate number... In some cases, I even have a second person with me... Another thing I do is I usually have my cell phone in my hand as if I am talking to someone and don't put it away until the buyer is out of the vehicle and approaching me... So far no problems...
Old March 6th, 2017, 05:20 PM
Lansing built

If it can be transported, I usually meet at a neutral site with a heavy public presence. Gas stations, grocery store parking lots and fast food places.

Not into firearms. I usually have a family member or friend sitting a little ways away with cell phone in hand.

Pat
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:05 PM

I've done transactions pretty much the same as CRUZN 66 and 1970 cs.

It's hard to judge some of the people out there these days. And there are a lot of criminals and drug addicts as well. So I'd recommend meeting in a nice public space like Walmart and parked within the view of the cameras, or at the police station.

Smith and Wesson makes a nice partner too.

We had a gun transaction go bad here two weeks ago. One of the kids trying to get the better end of the deal didn't fare so well. He thought the gun would be free if he pushed his weight around some. Unfortunately for him the seller wasn't a push over. The kid died as a result. The police ruled it a justified killing.

So caution is always recommended.
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I've never had a problem with having people from CL or the classified come over.
As others have said, I wouldn't invite them inside, or show them the inside of the garage (unless I decided I liked them), but it's never been a problem.

Of course, everyone in this state has a gun, too, so it's pretty much assumed that it would be unwise to be overly impolite.

- Eric
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:31 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have only sold one thing on Craigslist and the guy did come to my house after I spoke with him. He was a policeman in a nearby town and had his wife and two kids with him. If I live near the border like you do opos, no way I would have even let them know where my house is.
Old March 6th, 2017, 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=opos;996915]

The police department here and in several surrounding cities are offering a "safe zone" which is a few parking spots at the various police branch locations which are set aside for any person to person transactions...the police do not interfere or monitor but the locations are right in front of the police buldings within full view of the police on duty...I think that is a really good idea.

That's how I handle my transactions as well. Why fix what's not broke?

Originally Posted by Olds442redberet

We had a gun transaction go bad here two weeks ago. One of the kids trying to get the better end of the deal didn't fare so well. He thought the gun would be free if he pushed his weight around some. Unfortunately for him the seller wasn't a push over. The kid died as a result. The police ruled it a justified killing.

So caution is always recommended.
Here in liberal NY that would land you in prison. Had that happen to a friend of mine. His mistake is he went outside with the firearm. I'm sorry the man had to take a life, but It's good to know the authorities ruled it that way.
Old March 6th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I do transactions at gas stations , truck stops , or at the shop I work at. . Never at my house unless it's someone I know or have communicated with like a trusted forum member.
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:45 AM

I've sold lots of items on CL - mostly household goods (bikes, pet supplies old tools, etc) and it's been a surprising pleasure. Everyone I've met has been nice, friendly and non threatening. Some folks travel farther than I'd think for a bargain, and you have to consider they're probably just as concerned as you are going to some stranger's house. As others have said I don't let buyers into my home and transact everything in the front yard or driveway. That said, I've hired house-keepers, party servers, entertainers and even employees (I work from a home office) who are all inside my home from CL w/o issue - again these people are also taking risks entering a stranger's house. For all off my full time employees I conduct my interviews off site, like the library or Starbucks. People, especially women are weary of going on a job interview in someone's home, as they should be. I'll also conduct background checks with the assistance of low friends in high places (I've seen my fair share of mug shots). These days privacy is completely out the window anyway, and I do believe there should still be some trust in that people are inherently good. And this is coming from someone who grew up in NYC in the 70s.... Maybe I've been lucky and had a good run so far. My attitude would probably be very different if, and when, something goes south. My advice: do what makes you feel comfortable... if something doesn't feel right, don't do it.
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:04 AM

I have had only one encounter with a CL advertiser selling a 70 442 and that was his place of business. Nothing shady but missed the car by 2 grand. Nice guy. I only look at stuff on CL and have never pursued anything else.
Wayne
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:23 AM

I sold my 64 98 years ago on CL. The gent who bought it came to my house with a friend and test drove it before buying it.

I think it's a good idea to meet in a public place to transact business though. Too many crazy people out there.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:50 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Live in a small town so not much of a problem. However I have done all my transactions at my business. It is easier my business is on a main road and easy to get to. My house is way back in the country and is not easy to get to. Sold 3 cars only one from craig's other 2 because they were sitting in front with a for sale sign.
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:07 AM

I have not had any issues with Craigslist buyers or sellers but I do try to discern things on the phone when I talk to them. I ask their names, numbers and email. Then I
give them mine and try to be respectful. If they can't be respectful on the phone I don't deal with them. It is getting harder these days because a lot of common sense etiquette is just not there anymore. At my age I'm even having trouble understanding what they're saying. I've had some rough dudes but I don't treat them different and they don't expect to be treated different. If it's MF this or MF that I say it's sold sorry...
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:14 AM

CL buyers have to FIRST communicate with me via e-mail. I can usually get a little information on them by google-searching their e-mail address. I try to get their full name as well. Anyone that seems to be questionable is simply not communicated with.

If the e-mails go o.k., then I get a phone number from them, and give them a call. If everything is good at that point, then I arrange for them to have a test drive.

If they want to car, I insist on making a photocopy (my printer is also a scanner) of their drivers license. Also, REMOVE your old license plates before you allow the car to leave your possession.

Several years ago I let a car go without taking off the plates. The @$$hole drove the next day up to Dallas, and ran all sorts of toll stations. 1. I had entered all the sale information into the Texas DMV "sold vehicle" site, and did that just a few moments after he left. 2. I had a copy of his drivers license. 3. I still had to get the local news station "consumer advocates" involved, and it took over 2 years to get that crap sorted out!
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:18 AM

Good advice. I try to do that as well.
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:23 AM
Administrator

I find the email thing time consuming with long run on sentences from cell phones. Would rather do a phone call.
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by LeeA
Also, REMOVE your old license plates before you allow the car to leave your possession.

Several years ago I let a car go without taking off the plates. The @$$hole drove the next day up to Dallas, and ran all sorts of toll stations. 1. I had entered all the sale information into the Texas DMV "sold vehicle" site, and did that just a few moments after he left. 2. I had a copy of his drivers license. 3. I still had to get the local news station "consumer advocates" involved, and it took over 2 years to get that crap sorted out!
Good advice. That sounds like it was a PITA!
Old March 7th, 2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Good advice. That sounds like it was a PITA!

YES!!! I had a notebook, where I took the names of the people I talked with at the Dallas transit authority. I'd think I had it straightened out, then 2 months later I'd get another bill from them, with more late fees added to it!

I had the print out from the DMV, SHOWING the date the transaction happened (the day BEFORE the tolls were charged), the buyer's name, drivers license number, plate number, etc... I mailed copies of that form, along with copies of the buyer's D.L., to Dallas - still more bills.

It was easier to harass me, than it was to find the person who actually owed them money.

I contacted one of the local news station's consumer advocates, but never heard anything from them. A week or so later I contacted a different one - also no reply. I ended up sending the information to all 4 local stations - never got any sort of acknowledgement from any of them.

A few weeks after sending the last station my situation, I get a letter from Dallas, saying if I paid something like $3, they'd forget about whole thing. Grudgingly, I figured paying $3 was worth it, to put an end to the mess, and wrote the check.

Turned out that the buyer NEVER put the title in his name. It was sold awhile later to somebody I never heard of. I'm sure they forged my signature on the fresh paperwork.
Old March 7th, 2017, 10:56 AM

Years ago I sold a motorcycle to a schmuk at work. Left the plate on it. A year later he asked me if I would buy it back. I said no and he told me it's still in my name and he had been riding it around all that time. He was in a hurry to sell it so I kept saying no till he practically gave it to me. Got a bill of sale in case he had done something stupid. Applied for a new title and sold it again for a huge profit. That will teach em. Kept the plate next time and from every vehicle I've sold since.
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:40 AM

Back on topic

i don't like any strangers in my house if I can help it. I don't disclose all my security options either. CO members and Oldsmobile club members I do give more access based on their reputation on the site. Craigslist sales are in the driveway or away from home
Old March 7th, 2017, 02:00 PM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

I sold my 64 98 years ago on CL.
Wow,CL has been around a long time!

I've done business in my garage and at my kitchen table. I'm always carrying some iron on premise and I'm upfront with folks. Depends on the situation, what you are selling and your familiarity with the buyer. If in doubt, head to the bank or at least bring along a trusted friend.

Old March 7th, 2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by btw
Wow,CL has been around a long time!

I've done business in my garage and at my kitchen table. I'm always carrying some iron on premise and I'm upfront with folks. Depends on the situation, what you are selling and your familiarity with the buyer. If in doubt, head to the bank or at least bring along a trusted friend.

That is a good approach​​​​​​.
​I live in South central LA and I don t send anyone to my house, I do business at the corner were we have burger joint, and especially not in the night.

As for experience, I have met some shady people on C.L. I've met a car thief selling car parts who was interested in knowing where I lived. I've sold and bought cars to snakes, (long stories).. and the cake goes to some lady who took off with my 1000$ deposit for a 63 riviera I was GOING to buy, sold the car, and she's a well known figure in the kustom car scene in southern California, she's even on TV right now.. in the end dont put your self in risk to seal a deal.
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Old School Olds

I'll carry it if I feel the need. Snub nose 38. Fits in the front pocket
of my jeans nicely. Welcome to Tejas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3053.JPG (354.6 KB, 15 views)
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:04 PM

Dang guys lol. All I got is this
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Old School Olds

And you live in LA? You may need a bigger Caliber.
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
And you live in LA? You may need a bigger Caliber.
Hahahhahaha. For real, or atat least use two fingers instead of one.
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:36 PM

Use what you brought

It's a big enough caliber if you stick it in their eye. I got a few pointers from a guy who spent some time in a Mexican prison.
Old March 7th, 2017, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
It's a big enough caliber if you stick it in their eye. I got a few pointers from a guy who spent some time in a Mexican prison.
I'm new to Oldsmobile but glad to see Olds guys are tuff.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:17 PM

I'm sure most are

I'm not tough, avoid risks, careful but fortunate. Wouldn't hurt a fly unless necessary.
Old March 8th, 2017, 05:31 AM
car nut farmer

I've sold 5 vehicles on CL. Have conducted business in my front yard on all occasions except one, that in my farm shop. Always during the day and would never let anyone in my house. It helps I live on a highly traveled road and open home site.
Old March 9th, 2017, 08:53 PM

never..no way is anyone coming to my house..no freakin way..kansas city is a jungle..no way no how

i meet at QT..i control the whole situation..if they balk..i dont care..
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:05 AM

I sold my 64 98 years ago on CL. The gent who bought it came to my house with a friend and test drove it before buying it.

I think it's a good idea to meet in a public place to transact business though. Too many crazy people out there.
In this day and age, the "safe place" seems like the way to go.

That said, what good is it if the transaction involves a test drive? The prospective buyer, possibly with you in the car, leaves whatever protection is provided by the "safe place" behind in the rear view mirror.

In so doing they leave you at their mercy, do they not?

Last edited by D. Yaros; March 10th, 2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:38 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
In so doing they leave you at their mercy, do they not?
How paranoid can you be and still live?

There comes a point where you've just got to confidently move forward and accept that most things you do in life have a small chance of complications.

If someone really wants to kidnap me and my lousy used car, I'll give him a chance to try.

Of course, I pick up hitchhikers, too.

- Eric
Old March 10th, 2017, 01:11 PM
72 Olds CS

ive sold a few bikes, everyone wants to test ride em, I never let them, I say i will take you for a ride, or you can give me the cash and test ride it and if its not what i say i will give the cash back to you, one guy walked, one guy had me take him for a ride everyone else has been OK w that and bought the bike(s)
Old March 10th, 2017, 01:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
ive sold a few bikes, everyone wants to test ride em, I never let them, I say i will take you for a ride, or you can give me the cash and test ride it and if its not what i say i will give the cash back to you, one guy walked, one guy had me take him for a ride everyone else has been OK w that and bought the bike(s)
I agree with that.

I have allowed a buyer to test ride a bike, but only because he seemed to be (and was) an older, sober, responsible sort of guy, but I agree that it's a risk you should avoid taking. In that (and similar) cases, I also trade keys, so that if he gets mine, I get his (no deal if the ol' lady's going to sit in the car with the engine running).

On the flip side, when I was a kid, I bought one bike in the way you described (pay, then ride) and there was another where the owner wouldn't let me. Needless to say, the one I didn't ride had problems, which I was able to fix, but which would have lowered the price.

- Eric
Old May 19th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Smash

If your an avid gun collector sure invite him in ask he to stay for dinner even. Mecasa Sucasa
Old May 19th, 2018, 02:01 PM

I sold my Cadillac to a buyer who paid me in full, trusted me to drive it to his business with the title, and then he drove me back home. I couldn't believe he was that trusting. He rightly read me as honest. If someone makes you feel uncomfortable, they're up to something. I think we can all read people, but sometimes take chances when the person seems honest. You still must cover yourself. It's a risk for both buyer and seller. I did the above transaction in my driveway. I've bought from people at public places. I understand they might be nervous.
Old May 19th, 2018, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by opos
I'm just not going to invite someone to come to my house when I have no idea who they really are.
Or how they taste. CL can be seen as a meal delivery service from a certain perspective.
Old May 20th, 2018, 08:55 AM

I say depends on where you live and who you are dealing with. Most people I've purchased parts from had me meet them somewhere open, unless from this site. After meeting me they opened up and most times invited me to follow them back to there home to look at other parts. On the rare occasion they've giving me parts in advance because I didn't have enough money to cover what I didn't know they had trusting me to send them payment later. And yes I've always sent out payment.

In the car world, once people know what you are about they usually open up. But I blame no one for being cautious.

Quick Reply: So do you invite a "buyer " from Craigs list to your home?