The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Y*hoo email

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:45 AM
Oldsdruid

Y*hoo email

Anyone else find Y*hoo mail as infuriating to use as I do? Hands down the most aggravating email program I have ever tried to use.

I only check it about twice a month as that's where I direct all the "special offers", store rewards card stuff, etc so my primary mailbox doesn't get swamped with all that mess. True to form there are usually dozens of special offer emails from Sheetz, Big Lots, local newspapers, restaurants etc cluttering it up. It will also not allow me to open or delete anything until it has scanned EVERY email in the folder, new or old, so the few emails I actually want to read get delayed.

Last couple times it's been worse than normal- it won't change screens until EVERYTHING on the current page has loaded and switched pictures a couple times with advertisements. Look closely at those ad windows and what do I see? That SAME damned little "ad choices" arrow that is corrupting CO. It's like they intend to force you to acknowledge that garbage.

When are these people gonna learn that bombing people with these ad-bots is turning people away more than it's making them want to buy whatever's being advertised?
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:13 AM
Just the facts...

never had a problem, been using it for 8 years. i use firefox and adblock plus.

bill
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM

I switched from msn when "bing" appeared on eveyrthing that I touched on the damn thing, and yahoo is just as annoying...I use ad blocker which helps, but I am considering a change again.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM

I've been using it for almost 10 years as my only email address (other than work). No problems at all. I get hardly any spam in my inbox or my spam folder. I don't buy much on line and when I do and I start getting spam I mark it as spam and never have a problem with it again.

The only thing I find annoying is them changing the e-mail format ever two years or so.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:36 AM

Yep, adblock+, do-not-track, and firefox makes a huge difference in speed, neatness, and functionality.
Also, I am still using y*hoo mail 'classic', which seems to be more stable as I use it quite a bit with few issues.

They had tried to force me into their 'new' mail several times but so far I have always found a trap-door to get me back into 'classic'. I dread the time where all trap-doors might be closed, as I heard they soon want to make their mail look just like a phone or facecrap style, neither do I like, have, or want. That might be a time to find an alternative email, which will probably be or get just as bad.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:26 AM

I've been using yahoo for 5 years and haven't had any problems.

Rob, if you can find a trap-door that allows you into check out the new look and still go back to classic, I'd suggest to give it a try. I tried avoiding the new look for a while too until one day when I logged in and it automatically went to the new look. It is not as bad as I was expecting.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
Oldsdruid

Rob, I think their "new" email is the root of the problem as it was never this bad on the "classic". I also use FF with adblock and y*hoo still does this crap. If they force a FB or Iphone appearance format, the hell with them. I won't use it at all.

I hesitate to block all the special offer stuff because once in a while TimeLife or something like that will have something that interests me, and I've gotten some pretty good coupon deals from restaurants.

If it would let me go ahead and view the mail and start deleting stuff I don't want immediately after it opens, same as my primary email account does, it would be easier to deal with it. It's aggravating when it won't let anything else happen until it has scanned every email in the folder and loaded all those damn y*hoo proprietary ads every time it opens.

That m*tch.com thing they own is worrisome too- it's one of the more egregious ads they force on you. When that mess starts it loads an entire slideshow of pics before it will let anything else happen. Try turning it off and all it does is open m*tch.com in another window. I never knew there were so many desperate women (and guys, they send me that too WTF?!) in my area.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by car_designer
Rob, if you can find a trap-door that allows you into check out the new look and still go back to classic, I'd suggest to give it a try. I tried avoiding the new look for a while too until one day when I logged in and it automatically went to the new look.
From what I remember, I went to check mail and there was just one big button that said go to the 'new' mail, no other way around it there.
I did not click it. Instead i picked out a historical address from the past day's history and i got back to classic. I think if I had clicked the button, I woulda been f'ed.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Rob, I think their "new" email is the root of the problem as it was never this bad on the "classic". I also use FF with adblock and y*hoo still does this crap.
Really looks like the root cause.
Almost sounds like adblock is not doing its thing OR, the 'new' style works arounf adblock....

I hesitate to block all the special offer stuff because once in a while TimeLife or something like that will have something that interests me, and I've gotten some pretty good coupon deals from restaurants..
Now are these emails or ads? I get email offers from places I bought from before, like time life. I let their email ads through as they MIGHT have CHiPs on DVD soon.

It's aggravating when it won't let anything else happen until it has scanned every email in the folder and loaded all those damn y*hoo proprietary ads every time it opens.
Again, sounds like adblock is not working right or rthe new version goes around adblock.... Any way you can post a screenshot (and remove anything personal)?

That m*tch.com thing they own is worrisome too- it's one of the more egregious ads they force on you. When that mess starts it loads an entire slideshow of pics before it will let anything else happen. Try turning it off and all it does is open m*tch.com in another window. I never knew there were so many desperate women (and guys, they send me that too WTF?!) in my area.
Never had an ad do that anywhere since I turned to FF with AB+.
And as a sorry guy I am, I actually tried m*tch once and was completely turned off. 90% of their members are non paying and cannot even replay to a message. I think there was a class action suit against them for that.
Sorry sobs....
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Been using Yahoo for ten years as my primary e-mail - I've probably logged on every single one of those ~3,650 days, and I don't recall ever having had the problems you're describing.

I am currently using Chrome with ABPlus, but for many years I didn't use any blockers and it was fine.

My only problem now is that about a month ago, I realized that I had over 11,000 messages in my inbox, not to mention my folders, so I decided it was time to spring for $20 and get the POP server option, so I could download the whole mess and clear it out.
I've had the experience of losing several years of correspondence when a PINE server was shut down, so I'm always a bit worried that it could happen again (GeoCities, anyone?).
I've got the inbox cleaned out now, but I have yet to download all of my subfolders.

- Eric
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM

I've been using Yahoo mail for many years as well. I notice the ads reload often, but I haven't had too much trouble with it.
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:37 AM

i have a horrible time trying to get a email to open or delete
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM

I had to log in to Yahoo on saturday with my password 6 times..gets pretty damn annoying!
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
I had to log in to Yahoo on saturday with my password 6 times..gets pretty damn annoying!
Yes. The same thing has just started happening to me this week.
It takes you right back to the log-in screen you were just on, but doesn't tell you your login info was wrong.

I find that if I log in with a different browser, it works fine, then I can go back to my original browser after a while, and it's fine, too.

I imagine it's some sort of a cookie problem, but I don't know whether it's fixable on my end or not.

- Eric