The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

WINTER WONDERLAND???

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Cutlass Lover

WINTER WONDERLAND???

Well here it is.... our first snow of the season. I. HATE. THIS. CRAP.!!!!! It's been coming down pretty steadily.... heavy and wet. Good thing is, it's not supposed to last. I think the weekend is supposed to be good. I want to start decorating for Christmas, so it better clear up!

I hate snow on my scarecrows!

I keep hearing sirens from Rt. 91 - people quickly forget how to drive in this stuff!! Anyone else in our wonderful state getting snowed on?

firstsnow2009004.jpg

firstsnow2009002.jpg

firstsnow2009001.jpg
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:56 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Yep Winter is here! No snow in Iowa yet! But its sure is cold!!
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:05 AM

Sandy,

Those pics of the snow remind me of that movie "Dr. Chicago" Makes me cold just looking at them.
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:41 AM

GutlassGal: I remember those 7 years I lived/worked in Ohio, and the cold/dreary skies/SNOW/slush. I've been back home since '80. Today will be 71 (again), sunny, no wind, dry here in Dallas. Going to go out and work on the Silver Bullet. Really nice pictures of the snow. I'll look at them, occassionally, and smile. Oh, forgot, down to 49 last night.
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Registered Olds fanatic

Snow settled a bit since Nov. 9th dumping. 22 inches, still got 14 on the level here. Sucks!! Can't drive 3 of my favorite cars....
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:51 AM

CG - those pics are beautiful! Is this your yard? How open and scenic - I love it...
I would be so happy to be there, watching it snow all day long. Enough snow on the scarecrows will simply make them into snowmen. Post some more pics when it gets thicker. I wish we got snow a little more often here in TX.
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Looks cool Sandy. Smile and have a hot toddy.
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Registered

Two Inches of Partly Cloudy

The snow is so pretty Sandy?

Do you have dump truck with bird feed come in the fall and drop off a supply for all those bird feeders you have???
And you complain about deer in your yard????
Just hang up a sign that says "Come and get it Bambi!".
I hope you don't have a salt lick too.

It's a beauteous day.
The snow on the ground, crisp clean air, sunshine glintering off the icy tree branches, puffy white clouds in a blue sky, the chuckling and gurgling of the icy water flowing down the brook on it's journey to the sea.

If you don't have to drive in it or clear it I love snow.

Work is a different story.
When I'm on an icy roof in the winter and start sliding down scratching and clawing at shingles with my fingernails to stop the death drop I don't like it so much.
I've been saved from falling and just ready to go over the edge with a death grip on a skilsaw plugged into an extension cord too many times, always tie a knot after you plug it in then wrap the extension cord around a sewer stack or chimney.
Safety equipment gets in the way and isn't any fun, manly men work without a net.
Luckily I wised up and I don't do that no mo' if I have don't have to.

Old November 27th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Sandy,
That's soooo nice. Glad the snow will be gone by the weekend. That will just add to the Christmassy feel of December. Yeah, I know, it's no fun to be out in the snow taking down the stuff that got put off till too late and putting the new stuff up. Look on the bright side. We got snow here too, but to make it more exciting, we also got freezing rain!! So now if you're not playing hockey with your car on the side roads, you can play "oh S%$* on the sidewalk trying to put out the icemelter. I hate it when we get freezing rain, cause I don't have a remote car starter, and the car is usually frozen shut. And I hate trying to scrape ice off the windsheild (PITA). The Bahamas is starting to look like my goal for retirement.. Then I would only have to worry about hurricanes and such.

BTW, about hurricanes: I think that if they name it with a girls name, Like Hurricane Sandra for example, they should redesignate it to HERRICANE. If they designate it with a boys nme, Like Hurricane Darryl for example, it should be redesignated to: (get ready) HIMMICANE. Question will ultimately be: Which one blows harder or has more wind?? I'm not gonna go there!!
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Sandy,

Those pics of the snow remind me of that movie "Dr. Chicago" Makes me cold just looking at them.
Jamesbo?? You gotta keep up with the times buddy. Dr. Chicago??? WTH? You're funny Don't you mean Dr. Zhivago? (Omar Shariff & Julie Cristie) Course that was so long ago -1965- that most of the guys and gals on this forum probably weren't even born then. I remember those winter scenes, but what really stood out was how long that movie was. It was such a popular show that it ran for over a year here. One show starting at 7:00. Those were the old days when you would go downtown. There was free parking, or the bus ride would only cost 15 cents. You'd have to go early for the popular shows and stand in lines like when XBOX put out OSDT, or you'd walk around to all the theatres and choose the one with the shortest line. Movies only cost around $1.50 back then, and the concessions were outrageous - like $2.50 for a LARGE buttered popcorn, and another $1.50 for a LARGE pop.
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Cutlassgal,

Please don't take this the wrong way.BUT,better that you get the snow then us. However I will take this as a reminder of whats to come.
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Registered

Dr. Chicago.
I get it now.
I remember that my older sister saw the movie and immediately bought the movie soundtrack album like ever movie she went to back then.
West Side Story was the worse, I couldn't stop singing "I Feel Pretty" for years.
I think it may have influenced the way people thought of me.

In auditions Sandy knew the words to that song perfectly and is being cast as Maria in my version, Arnold "The Pig" Ziffel is Tony.

That Dr. Chicago movie may have may have influenced my big sis', she lives way up in the mountains in Leadville CO where she has to have front end loaders and dump trucks come to clear her driveway.
My little sis' lives in way southern AZ so I have a choice of too hot or too cold to visit, as if they ever invite me.

Sidewalks?
Those fancified things are for city folk along with street lights.
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Jamesbo?? You gotta keep up with the times buddy. Dr. Chicago??? WTH? You're funny Don't you mean Dr. Zhivago? (Omar Shariff & Julie Cristie) Course that was so long ago -1965- that most of the guys and gals on this forum probably weren't even born then. I remember those winter scenes, but what really stood out was how long that movie was.
Whatever, Just watching the movie made me cold then as well as now.

Remember the movie "They Shoot Horses, don't they? That one made me exhausted.

Blue Vista,

When your on your way down the roof..................do you sing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Whatever, Just watching the movie made me cold then as well as now. Remember the movie "They Shoot Horses, don't they? That one made me exhausted. Blue Vista, When your on your way down the roof..................do you sing?
Jamesbo (heavy sigh)
Yubby dibby dibby dibby, yubby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby dibby bum....OMG my fingers are exhausted. Gotta go build some staircases and buy some damn geese..... (sigh, another heavy sigh )

Allan H, Good luck getting a grip sliding down a tin roof!!! Winter would be like a ski jump, summer would be instant rug burn
Old November 27th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Oldsdruid

What pretty scenes! for Christmas cards .

And that's the only way I like to see snow and ice, is in pictures!

I certainly don't like having to drive to work in it, or clean it up. Got by with having to use the truck's 4WD only once last year.

We live in a belt that 30 miles west gets snow, 30 miles east gets rain, and we get ice . And in 25 years of working rotating shift as "essential staff" I never missed an ice storm. I remember one storm was so bad that me and another guy had to take the plant's 4WD crewcab truck and go pick up about half of the oncoming crew before we could go home that Sunday morning, and one of them lived 30 miles from the plant. It would have been simpler to have told him to stay home and call in someone who lived closer. There was half an inch of glare ice on the roads and then two inches of sleet on top of that. I think that was the most nervous and terrified I've ever been behind the wheel. Snow I can handle. That stuff was nearly impossible to drive in. It was like driving on marbles.

Snow. Bah, fooey! Gimme 70 degrees and sunny any day of the year!
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Registered

Give me lots of money and I'll live anywhere, can always jet off to the tropics or my brother-in-law's house in Singapore.
My two nephews from there love the snow and run around in shirtsleeves playing in it when they visit, they hate the heat.

Whatever, Just watching the movie made me cold then as well as now.

Remember the movie "They Shoot Horses, don't they? That one made me exhausted.

Blue Vista,

When your on your way down the roof..................do you sing?

I get that horse one.
Now I'm tired too.

I sing "Nearer My God to Thee" when I'm sliding.
If it's where two pitched roofs meet on a bias and I'm slipping down the sheet metal I sing "Peace in the Valley".

"Fiddler on the Roof"!

How did you know I grew up in Cleveland Heights Jamesbo??
I felt like James Dean in "Rebel withut a Cause" transferring from a Catholic school when we moved there when I was in second grade.
The German last name the same as one of Uncle Adolph's top guys didn't help either.

My best buds now and a lot were car guys in high school, Triumphs and MG's were big until I learned them and they got musclecars.
At least I got to ride in them?

Oi vay.

Any chopped liver recipes Jamesbo???
Old November 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM

NOBODY
Lives in Cleveland
Shaker Heights Chopped Chicken Liver

2 pounds chicken livers
1 cup rendered Smaltz [chicken fat]
2 cups medium-diced yellow onion (2 onions)
1/4cup Madeira wine
3 arge eggs, hard-cooked, peeled, and chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
1 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch cayenne pepper

Drain the livers and sauté them in 2 batches in 2 tablespoons of smaltz over medium-high heat, Don't overcook the livers or they will be dry.
Sauté the onions in 3 more tablespoons of smaltz
Pour in some Madeira and deglaze the pan
Put this into the bowl with the livers.
Add the chopped eggs, parsley, thyme, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and yes more smaltz.
Dump into Cuisinart and pulse
Serve with Sodie crackers
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Registered

Thanks Jamesbo!
Another one for the Classic Oldsmobile COokbook.
Shaker Heights?
It must be really fancy stuff or soul food.

Nobody lives in Cleveland? I didn't think anybody lived there???
I'm about 30 miles south in a different county, won't set foot down there if I can help it.

I heard they got their football team back but with their record I don't think those guys even show up for their games.

I love working at houses with chopped liver in the fridge, we investigate and ask permission before consuming first.
I usually have to babysit or let out their dog during the day but it's worth it.
My sister will do the Chopped Liver for me, it has more than two ingredients so my wife may have trouble, won't taste right if I do it, nothing ever does.

We're doing the mac and cheese and weenies and beans soon as we get rid of all this turkey.
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:19 PM

When I went to college there were all of these people there from "Cleveland" Ohio

Nope not a one from the city. Pepper Pike, Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, Chargin falls etc.

Ergo, I never met anyone who lives in Cleveland.

p.s. No, I don't live in Atlanta [the city]
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Well, up here in Michigan, we got 140" of snow last year. So far this year just a trace, and it as been mild for the last month, so I am in no hurry to shovel..er snow blow!
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Cutlass Lover

From snow to chopped liver!!!! OMG!! You guys just make me laugh!!

Yes Rob, that is some of our backyard. It is pretty out there. Larry - not his other brother Darryl - made the patio out there and did the walkway out of those different shaped paver stones all the way up to the back deck, and also made the flower beds around the trees. He's good at that stuff!! He also dug up out there and put the water garden in about 7 years ago. It's nice to sit out there and listen to the water. Very pretty in the summer. That's my sisters favorite place. She likes to sit out there and de-stress!

I do have a lot of birdfeeders! I like them!! Thus the reason my nephew got me a 30 lb. bag of birdseed for my birthday!! LOL!! Nothing prettier than a cardinal out there eating, his red self against the white snow! He looks beautiful! I do not have a salt lick for the friggin deer... I hate it when they eat my birdseed!

I move most of my feeders further out and hang them in the big tree in the summer cause Larry has to duck his head when he's mowing the yard! Then I get out the hummingbird feeders! LOL!! I also hang a lot of wind chimes out there in the summer! I move my feeders up closer to the house in the winter so I don't have to shovel so far out to get to them!

I will post more pics throughout the winter, when we're really getting pounded, and I'm wishing I lived in Arizona!! We still have snow in the yard tonight, but it did get up to 36 today and a lot of it melted. The sun came out for a little while early, but it got gray and ugly again for most of the day.

Jamesbo... I love the way you talk! Sodie crackers! LOL!! And no, no one lives in Cleveland!!

Bluevista.... Did you drink the water when you lived in Cleveland Heights??? That would explain a lot!!!!
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Registered

Talking It is Chopped Liver

Funny.... I've never met anybody actually from Cleveland proper either Jamesbo????
I think it may be some sort of The Matrix thing going on.

I remember the birdseed Sandy, still too bad it wasn't a case of beer.
Ater seeing your cute yard and cute scarecrows and all that kind of cute type stuff I have to ask....

You do have a boo-hoo doll... don't you Sandra?

It's okay, just not my thing as you know but you can come out of the closet, or it should I say???
It's hidden in an old Hello Kitty box in the back corner I bet.
I'm tolerant of other people's beliefs and values and not a boo-hooaphobe.
Just admit it and get the weight off your shoulders.

Larry does a lot of cool stuff, just doesn't paint engines.
Laura just did all our outside Christmas lights, I was busy doing windows with my Ultimate Cloth and couldn't stop.

Nice work, tell the Beaver's friend good old Larry I need a sidewalk to my barn so my wife can get to the garbage a little easier in the winter, my barn is red like it should be and way back there in the pic.
Other brother Darryl can help, where's Darryl??

Speaking of The Beav'...
It's going on 30 years and I still can't get wife Laura to vacuum the house fully made-up, hair done at the beauty parlor, wearing a fancy poofy dress with the collar turned up, spike high heels and a frilly foo-foo kitchen apron of course...the Beaver's mom did.

"Gee Dad... why does Mom dress like that just to vacuum? Lumpy's mom doesn't and junk?"

The snow all melted here.
I was planning to have a surprise scarecrow snowball attack once I found out where Sandy lives using triangulation from her pics but now my hopes have sadly been dashed.
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:07 AM

I can't wait for the snow to come. I have my christmas lights up already and my new snowthrower is in the garage just waiting to throw some snow.

Bring it on............
Old November 28th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Captain of my ship

When it comes I am ready.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
car pieces & house 011.jpg (73.8 KB, 31 views)
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by wolfman98
When it comes I am ready.
Man, that's really roughing it.

I've seen overkill before but that's ridiculouth.

I have tractor envy now and feel emasculated with my little tractor.
Sandy's husband has a big tractor too.
I'm going to get me a bulldozer to plow my driveway now.
Old November 28th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Cutlass Lover

You are funny!!!!! "Boo-hooaphobe... mmm...mmm...mmm! Sorry to let you down, but I don't have a boo-hoo doll. Creepy things! I'll let Larry know about the sidewalk... I'm sure I'll get what Nicole calls "The Larry Look"!!! Not pleasant!! No he doesn't work on cars anymore... says he used to... that was before I came along. I have seen it though a few rare times. Now he works on machines!

He's still all freaked out thinkin we're gonna pull an engine in his garage!! LOL!! I love it!! *gasp*... *shudder*.... oil on the floor... *OMG - screams loudly*

I took the scarecrows out of the ground, and they are drying in the breezeway before I can put them back in their containers and put them back upstairs in the garage. I'm gettin ready to go out and lug a gazillion containers of Christmas decorations down. Up and down those 15 steps.... makes my back hurt... but keeps the trunk in good shape! I don't hang the outside lights. Larry is over at the shop now, but the lights will be waiting for him!!! He gets so frustrated when half the lights on the reindeers don't light up! He already said "I'm not decorating this year". I said "I am." So it may be all on me and half of it won't get put up!!! I hate un-folding all those reindeers and the lights are all tangled up... I wish I did have a Darryl to help me!!

At least the sun is shining... even if it's only 35 right now! A beautiful day to put up Christmas stuff! Well, for at least starting to carry it all down and sort it all out!! We still have snow in the yard and on the roofs of the houses.

Wolfie.... you must be expecting a shitload of snow!! Keep it there so you can play on that tractor all winter!!!

Well, this ain't gettin it done, so, as one of my sisters would say, I have to get off of my dead a$$ on to my dying feet, and git-R-done!! TTYL!!
Old November 28th, 2009, 07:29 AM
GM Enthusiast

Other brother Darryl can help, where's Darryl??
Darrell's right here in the 40mph winds today, but at least it's around 50 here so no snow. I'm changing out the master cylinder in my Cutlass since it started leaking down the front of the booster.

I guess it was a good idea to put the "prettiest one away" for the winter Sandy!
Old November 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Sandy,

I'd mkae friends with Wolfman 98. That front end bucket would come in handy when ya had to fill those 4000 bird feeders.

It's also big enough to stand in when ya want to hand the lights reindeer etc from the eaves.
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Registered

Larry decorates those deer that come in your yard with lights Sandy??!

15 steps? Measure the ceiling height and see if it has enough for a lift if you really want a "Larry look".
I look at my wife like that and she just starts laughing, then she stares me down about two inches from my face and breaks me.
It's cruel and brutal.

Speaking of trunks, are you getting that mat for your trunk?... black is slimming you know.
I'm only kidding, The Prettiest One could wear anything, even horizontal stripes, those Chebby stripes do make her look taller.

No Boo-Hoo doll???
Boo-hoo.

Hello Kittys????
I have some nice ones in my vault, mint-in-package from McDonalds in Singapore.

I may just have to get a Boo-Hoo pouty doll now, I'll display it under one of my tires at shows.
I could get a few and rip the heads off and use them for Cornhole.

Look at this hideous thing if you can.

Pull the engine?
Now you're scaring me too Sandy.

I'll send Larry some garage floor cleaner and a big squeegee for Xmas.
Then He'll send me a big can of whoop-***.

Mr. Larry sir really doesn't want anything to do with car stuff does he?
A car must have smitten him in the past and left him feeling bitter and rejected.
He can't be forever brooding about it, no way to live.
You have to get right back up on that horse when it throws you, yep...yep..yep.
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Sandy,

BTW, about hurricanes: I think that if they name it with a girls name, Like Hurricane Sandra for example, they should redesignate it to HERRICANE. If they designate it with a boys nme, Like Hurricane Darryl for example, it should be redesignated to: (get ready) HIMMICANE. Question will ultimately be: Which one blows harder or has more wind?? I'm not gonna go there!!
Allan, Hurricanes have womens names because when they come they're wet and wild, but when they go they take your house and car with them.
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Snow? Oh yea I use to remember it as I am originally from New Jersey. Hated the stuff and had to drive my beater for the winter months.

Now here in Thailand we only have 2 seasons...hot and hotter. It now the hot season, highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s for the next 2 months.

Great place to take a vacation? I'm on a permanent vacation.
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista

15 steps? Measure the ceiling height and see if it has enough for a lift if you really want a "Larry look".
I look at my wife like that and she just starts laughing, then she stares me down about two inches from my face and breaks me.
It's cruel and brutal.

Speaking of trunks, are you getting that mat for your trunk?... black is slimming you know.
I'm only kidding, The Prettiest One could wear anything, even horizontal stripes, those Chebby stripes do make her look taller.

No Boo-Hoo doll???
Boo-hoo.

Hello Kittys????

I may just have to get a Boo-Hoo pouty doll now, I'll display it under one of my tires at shows.

Pull the engine?

A car must have smitten him in the past and left him feeling bitter and rejected.
What's with those "boo-hoo" dolls? I see them at car shows around here and haven't figured out what they have to do with a car. Now I think one of those "realistic" blow up dolls in the back seat would have more in common with a car, wouldn't you?.
Old November 28th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 442much
Allan, Hurricanes have womens names because when they come they're wet and wild, but when they go they take your house and car with them.
Har,har...that's funny!
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Cutlass Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442much

Now that's funny right there, and I don't care who you are!!

Last edited by cutlassgal; November 28th, 2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Redgoat's fault
Old November 28th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Registered

They hide damage and rust holes behind those Boo-Hoo dolls at car shows and cruises.

That's why the boo-hoo deal.
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Cutlass Lover

15 steps? Measure the ceiling height and see if it has enough for a lift if you really want a "Larry look". I look at my wife like that and she just starts laughing, then she stares me down about two inches from my face and breaks me.
It's cruel and brutal.

Speaking of trunks, are you getting that mat for your trunk?... black is slimming you know. I'm only kidding, The Prettiest One could wear anything, even horizontal stripes, those Chebby stripes do make her look taller.

No Boo-Hoo doll???
Boo-hoo.

Hello Kittys????

Pull the engine?

You are funny!!!! Measure the ceiling height.... you really want to get me in trouble don't ya???? LOL! Don't make me have Laura kick your butt!!

I don't know if I will get that black trunk mat yet, but I am going to get that 2 pc. set at least. She needs something in there! She thanks you for complimenting her! She loves that!!! I started her today and let her run about a half hour or so, while I was carrying storage containers past her for 2 hours. My back and arms hurt! I did make a lot of progress today!

I got Santa and the sled and 5 of the reindeer set up, (sorry...animated, not real ones!) plus various yard signs and decorations... hopefully I can get more done tomorrow before it rains like they're saying it's going to. I am tired!

I'm gonna have to get one of those boo-hoo dolls so it can do the crying for me as the prettiest one gets passed up in favor of a 442... razzlefrazzle..... What is the deal with those dolls anyhow? I don't understand the whole meaning of them? Are they supposed to look cute or something? I just don't get it. I guess I'll wait for Allen R to explain it to me! LOL!!

No sir... Mr. Larry doesn't care much about cars. He doesn't even get close to the Cutlass... he knows better! LOL! He tells me "I bought it for you, and what you do with it is up to you. It's your car". That's right... she's mine... all mine!!!! I have to post a pic of the sign and a picture frame I ordered for myself... they came today. Soooo cool!! Of course the sign won't count for you, since you're gonna make her engine look soooo beautiful!!!
Old November 28th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Cutlass Lover

They hide damage and rust holes behind those Boo-Hoo dolls at car shows and cruises.

That's why the boo-hoo deal.

That's their purpose??? For real??? I see quite a few of them at shows. They must be hiding a lot of things!!!!
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Oldsdruid

I wish whoever came up with them would un-come up with them. The things are creepy, but every Tri-Five Chevy in every show or cruise night around here will invariably have one leaned up against the bumper.

My Pontiac bud can't stand them either, so what does his father-in-law who has a red 57 Chevy (and doesn't know Tim hates them) get him for Crimmus last year? A boohoo doll dressed up in striped Pointer overalls and engineer cap.

Ray sez "thought you might like a crybaby to set out with the Chief at them Ponna-ack shows. They like 'em real good at the cruise-ins!"

The Chief (64 Tri-Power Grand Prix) did not leave his garage last year! Tim sez "I hope Ray forgets he gave me the damn thing."
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM

What do you complain...

Old November 29th, 2009, 01:01 PM

You'd better cut down on the winter hate talk. Here are some global warming protesters......and some of them looked pissed off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
globalwarmingprotest.jpg (92.3 KB, 14 views)

Quick Reply: WINTER WONDERLAND???