The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Where are the oldsmobile?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:52 PM
Gary

Where are the oldsmobile?

Yesterday evening and today I attended two different car events. I had my car at both. The one I went to today is called NiftyFiftees which was about 45 miles one way from my house. Well to my surprise there was only 2 Olds on yesterday with mine being one of them and three today. I was talking with a lady today who has a 72 Cutlass Convertible and she told me she comes out most Saturday nights and very seldom see any Olds. Do any of you guys see this with few Olds at events you may attend in your areas? I am also including some pictures of some of the cars that were out this weekend since some of you love pictures lol. The quality of some may not be to great because there was a very bright sun.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:00 PM
Gary

some more

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:12 PM
Gary

some more

Old May 3rd, 2014, 08:18 PM
Gary

Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:04 PM
Administrator

We don't get many Oldsmobiles at car shows in N Texas either. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Old May 4th, 2014, 04:38 AM

No Oldsmobiles

Guys:
I see this all the time here in Central Ohio, all you see are the same old cars, Mustang, Chevelle, Camaro and Rat Rod. I would drive my 66 Cutlass to the cruises as we were starting the resto work, doing shake down runs for the disc conversions, P/S upgrades and some body work, even w/ some rust in the car and a few black eyes, when I would go to leave, there would be several guys around the car looking at it and eager to ask questions about it and the direction of the resto project. I told them we were doing a complete major body off frame restoration on the car and they were amazed. The major comment was "At least it's something different. The other finished cars are very nice, but how many of them can you handle before you get bored looking at them. The Oldsmobile line has always been a cut above the rest of the cruisers, someone posted a few weeks back that Oldsmobile owners are sometimes seen as snobs, I don't see it that way, I consider myself someone who is not willing to settle for a run of the mill classic muscle car. Hopefully you guys agree.
Thanks Ron
Old May 4th, 2014, 04:56 AM
Old School Olds

Nice pics Gary. Thanks for posting.
I agree Ron. Same old cars, can be boring.
I was driving through the park yesterday,
and heard a lady say 'look at that chevy 442.'
I had to holler back, it's an Oldsmobile.

People just don't see classic Oldsmobiles
around anymore and don't know what they are.
When I was driving the 69, I used to get 'nice chevelle.'
Old May 4th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Gary

Friday night there was this guy who came up to me says he has been trying to see my car for the past year. He had pictures of his phone from last year when my car was parked in a local hardware parking lot. He said he had been dying to see the car because all he ever see is Chevelle's and Camaro's. Needless to say that he asked if he could just sit in the drivers seat and I just laughed and let him. He just kept on saying "wow" like a kid with a new toy. Some people I found were very eager to talk about my car in that one person told me that she just doesn't see any 442 and always wanted one.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; May 4th, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:03 PM

It's been that way forever in northern California also. Last Saturday I was at a show ,probably 150 cars and my car was the only Oldsmobile there. Yet everyone there keeps saying I use to have one just like it. Where did they all go?...Tedd
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:09 PM

I hope the guy sitting on this car is the owner. I sure wouldn't want anyone sitting on any part of my car, myself included Here, it looks like he's going to crush the grille.

Old May 5th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I hope the guy sitting on this car is the owner. I sure wouldn't want anyone sitting on any part of my car, myself included Here, it looks like he's going to crush the grille.

Yes that was the owner, I talked with him said he had the car about 38yrs. But like you there is no way I sit on my car. I guess since I have just begun to take my car out to the shows, I was very surprised not to find hardly any Olds. Between the 2 events I went to there had to be at least 500 cars with only 5 being Olds. I went to the Advance Auto Parts the other day and one of the clerks in there asked if my car was a Camaro? I shook my head and laughed and said no its an Oldsmobile.
Old May 5th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
It's been that way forever in northern California also. Last Saturday I was at a show ,probably 150 cars and my car was the only Oldsmobile there. Yet everyone there keeps saying I use to have one just like it. Where did they all go?...Tedd
It's like that everywhere I go. Last year car show in Golden Gate Park San Francisco, about 450 cars and only 4 Oldsmobiles. That's all you see is Chevelle's, Mustang's, Camaro's, Nova's.
I swear there is more 32 Fords now than Ford ever produced.
That's exactly why I bought the Cutlass.
We like it so much that we'll be selling our 69 Chevelle this summer to buy a 66/67 Cutlass Convertible.
Old May 5th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Lansing built

Up here in the Lansing area, much different about 25% or some times stronger on the Olds presence.

You can still pull up to the lights and look around and spot 2 or 3. I am sure that will change in about another five years when the last years run out their useful life.

Pat
Old May 22nd, 2014, 11:57 AM
Olds Wagonmaster

I've been to a few car shows lately in the Southeastern Louisiana area and I'm always on the lookout for Olds.

There might be one or two out of 100+ cars at local cruise ins.

The last show I went to, if you count my car that I didn't register and parked outside the flagging, there were 2 Olds out of well over 200 cars. Then again, that was at the time I was there..

Cruising the Coast is usually a little different, but still there are WAY many more Chevys and Fords than Olds. =/