The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.
View Poll Results: What size pics do you prefer?
Clickable thumbnail
17.86%
Large, full screen size
82.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

What size pics do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Registered Luser

Post What size pics do you prefer?

Just taking a little scientific poll here....when posting pics, I always do it in thumbnail form, which you can click on to enlarge. Many folks here post very large, screen size pics! Which do you prefer, and why? Reason I ask is, I may start using the larger pics moving forward....thanks for voting!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Gee Erik,
For the most part I find the larger ones are more convenient for 2 reasons:
1. They're easier to see (and my bifocals are getting older....)
2. Even the folks who aren't signed in can see them (but they can't see the thumbnails)

Anyway, that's my 2¢

EDIT: duh, I just came back to 'vote'. Sorry bout dat!

Last edited by Allan R; January 2nd, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:45 PM
Registered Luser

Good feedback Allan. I did not realize the fact that the thumbnails can't be seen by others when not signed in....
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Good feedback Allan. I did not realize the fact that the thumbnails can't be seen by others when not signed in....
Absolutely. What you should do sometime is NOT login to the site, just go through it like a visitor would. That's how I learned about that. Also, the headings change a bit when you view the site as a visitor. They don't see "New Posts". They see a listing of "Today's Posts" which may or may not be in updated time sequence. This is the site that just keeps giving.....
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:49 PM

How do you post larger pics? Do you have to go to one of the sites that store your pics?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM
GM Enthusiast

I like big ones too. Of course I am referring to pictures!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Originally Posted by johns59super88
Do you have to go to one of the sites that store your pics?
Generally yes ... there's a limit here as to the size(s) you can post.

Hosting them elsewhere can also provide a nice compromise to the thumbnails vs larger pic debate & the pros & cons of each pointed out above.

Most photo hosts give you the option to post thumbnails (which can be seen by everyone - even those not logged in) that can be clicked on & open up much LARGER pics.

This in theory should keep more people happy.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:01 PM
car guy

I hate clicking thumbnails if there is a bunch of pics.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by johns59super88
How do you post larger pics? Do you have to go to one of the sites that store your pics?
No. When you upload the pics the links will be shown in the "manage attachments' box. Just clik the link, right clik your mouse on the pic and choose 'copy IMG URL'. Then insert your cursor in the thread where you want the image and clik. Immediately choose the 'envelope' icon and clik it. Paste in the URL you captured just a second ago and paste it in. Then clik "ok". The image will be inserted full size in your post. Repeat as needed to enhance your thread. Note: Always use the "Preview" option to see how your post will look when you're manipulating images and text. Make sure it's where you want it to be for maximum effect.

Originally Posted by ThePackRat
Generally yes ... there's a limit here as to the size(s) you can post.
Hosting them elsewhere can also provide a nice compromise to the thumbnails vs larger pic debate & the pros & cons of each pointed out above.
Yes, there's a limit of 5 and the max size is 1024 X 768. BUT in regards to hosting them elsewhere? There's ALWAYS a catch. If you link your pics (as in copy the IMG URL from another site) and then post it to CO? True enough, you can post up to 20 images. BUT as soon as you delete or move those pics in your host site? The IMG link to CO will be broken and a placeholder will appear on the C.O. site. I've seen this many times.

That is why we suggest uploading just even 5 at a time to CO. The CO server will host them and they will be here for all to see as long as the CO servers are sponsored/maintained with IB.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:45 PM

I prefer to post external pics ~800x600.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:35 AM

LARGE PICTURES. With my old eyes I enjoy seeing large pictures that show the details well. I got in the habit of using photobucket when I started here years ago. But recognize if my account there goes away then the photos will too.

John
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:11 AM

I prefer large pics as well but sometimes I will post thumbnail size pics.

Sometimes I like making non members work to view a pic. Other times I like everyone who drops by the site to easily be able to view a pic.

The only problem I see is, pages with lots of pics take longer to load.

1966DodgeA100Custom360.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1934oilfront.jpg (39.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Jaybird; January 3rd, 2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:20 AM
Cutlass Lover

I like the bigger ones too, so I voted for them. My pics are on photobucket and I copy them over to the thread and paste. They are always big. I don't know how to make thumbnails anyhow, lol.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:50 AM

Given the number of times I've seen people on here complain about their inability to post pics to the site using the "manage attachment" feature either because the file sizes are too large or the photos are in the wrong format or who knows what, and given the number of times I've seen one of the moderators go through the same old "photo posting 101" message, I'm surprised that CO even bothers to offer to host photos any more.

Putting your photos on something like photobucket or picasa, which is what I use, is so much easier it isn't funny. Yes, as Allan says, if you do this and then remove your photos from the hosting site, the link to the photos here will be broken. However, this is a very minor concern in my opinion. Places like picasa give you SO much free storage space that you basically have no reason to ever delete your photos.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:55 AM

Now, having said the above, I find that people who do use a hosting site sometimes leave their photos in too large a format. They're so large you have to use the scroll bars on the edges of the screen to see the whole thing. This is just as bad as having to click thumbnails, and there's a simple solution. RESIZE your photos before uploading them to picasa or wherever.

I use Image Resizer for Windows.

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

It's free, it's very simple and easy to use, it resides in the right-click pop-up menu whenever you click on a jpg file, you can choose from pre-set sizes or choose your own custom size, and you can choose to resize the original photo or make a new, resized copy. I couldn't recommend it more highly, I've done so many times, and there is now no reason for anyone to ever post an over-sized photo to this site again!
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:25 AM

I almost always use imageshack.com to upload my pics and then post them here with image tags so they are full size. I've never had to resize a pic after uploading to imageshack. They are automatically resized for forum use
Old January 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM

Hmm, I never knew how to do the full-sized pics hosted here. Very interesting, thanks Allan. The car's 30 this year, so here's in celebration of that.

Attached Images
2013.jpg (84.6 KB, 85 views)
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
"Car"mudgeon

I like the (Large) normal pics that are within the screen without having to scroll sideways over the click-able thumbnails as well.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM

I have been using Picasa for a couple of years, and usually copy the url here, but i used up all of my storage space there with car photos, and I am now transferring them to Windows. With a url you can post a ton from a car event and view as a slideshow, so much more convenient.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:29 AM

I like the big pics but I don't know how to post them, can someone explain ? Send me a pm if you can. Thanks.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by DENT
I like the big pics but I don't know how to post them, can someone explain ? Send me a pm if you can. Thanks.
Henry? Go back to link 9 https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post492581
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:19 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Large full screen size for me please.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:19 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Or just create a photo album in Google+ and include a link so people can view hi-res photos. In two years when Picasa, and the outdated Photobucket, and other copycat sites are gone, you will already be light years ahead in posting your photos and videos.
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Du , guess I should read the whole thread. Thanks Allan.
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Registered Luser

Well Allan, I can fix a car, but apparently, can't figure out how to post the full size pics...I used your directions, but not happening........I gotta be doing something wrong! But what.....?javascript:void(0);....when I right click on the pic, I don't get the "copy IMG URL" option....I keep trying , but somehow, it comes up as a thumbnail...
Attached Images
toro engine 1 002.jpg (66.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ent72olds; January 4th, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:03 PM

when I right click on the pic, I don't get the "copy IMG URL" option....
What site are you trying to use? Some of them, and I believe photobucket is one, specifically prevent you from copying an image location because they consider this "stealing" the pic even though you're just linking to it. So if you right click on a photobucket image, you don't get the usual "save image as" or "copy image location" or "copy image URL" that you usually get. In this case, I would just use something other than photobucket.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What site are you trying to use? Some of them, and I believe photobucket is one, specifically prevent you from copying an image location because they consider this "stealing" the pic even though you're just linking to it. So if you right click on a photobucket image, you don't get the usual "save image as" or "copy image location" or "copy image URL" that you usually get. In this case, I would just use something other than photobucket.
Actually, the pics I'm using are my own in "My Pictures". I did try to do a pic from my photobucket acct, but as you said, I didn't get the options.....I'm starting to feel like a horses ***....
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Actually, the pics I'm using are my own in "My Pictures".
You can't link to a photo that is not on a web server somewhere. Your own computer is not a web server. All you can do with photos on your computer is upload them to CO the old-fashioned way using the "manage attachments" feature, and then those photos become a permanent part of this site.

By uploading your photos to picasa or whatever, you are putting them on a server which allows anyone with the link to see them. But more importantly, the photos are permanently a part of THAT server. They're not on your computer (at least not as far as the WWW universe is concerned), and they're not on CO.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by jaunty75
You can't link to a photo that is not on a web server somewhere. Your own computer is not a web server. All you can do with photos on your computer is upload them to CO the old-fashioned way using the "manage attachments" feature, and then those photos become a permanent part of this site.

By uploading your photos to picasa or whatever, you are putting them on a server which allows anyone with the link to see them. But more importantly, the photos are permanently a part of THAT server. They're not on your computer (at least not as far as the WWW universe is concerned), and they're not on CO.
OK, I now understand that. Can I still load the large pics from my computer, or am I limited do to the restrictions on size?
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:30 PM

Can I still load the large pics from my computer, or am I limited do to the restrictions on size?
This likely depends on the particular site you're uploading to. But in my experience, none of the site restricts the size of photo you're uploading as long as you keep the size "reasonable." People use all kinds of settings when taking pictures, and it's very easy to take photos that are so large in terms of dimensions that they could easily be enlarged to cover the side of a barn. That's too large.

The best thing to do is what I suggested above. Whatever size photos are your originals, RESIZE them, right on your computer, using a program like the one I mentioned above. Choose a size somewhere in the 1024 by 768 range. That will result in a photo that is about 150 kb in size, which is a very quick upload. Then upload the resized photos to your site of choice, and when you link to them here, they will be large enough to view comfortably but not so large that portions of the image scroll off the side or the bottom.
Old January 4th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Registered Luser

OK, I will try that. I resize all my images anyway, since thats the only way I can fit them on this site.....
Old January 4th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Registered Luser

Let's see if this works......
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Registered Luser

OK, i think I've got it......

Lee's car from '11 Nats....

I wonder if he still has it?

Thank you all!.....good night!
Old January 4th, 2013, 05:02 PM

Very nice!
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Congrats on figuring that out. I see I'm late to the party.
I think Lee did sell that car last year. I know it was for sale, but lost track of it.
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Registered Luser

ok, last one....now I have to figure out how to do it from an I-Pad...

Ok it is gone....guess deleting it works.....

Last edited by ent72olds; January 4th, 2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Allan R
Congrats on figuring that out. I see I'm late to the party.
I think Lee did sell that car last year. I know it was for sale, but lost track of it.
Thanks Allan! So, I'm using image shack....pretty much anything, whether it be a pic I took myself, or something off the web, I need to load it into my imageshack, then take from there and insert here! Got it....thanks for the help everyone! Allan got me started, Jaunty got me there!
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Erik, just remember that if you move your pic to a different folder in Image shack, or delete the pic there, the picture on C.O. will also be deleted. The URL you are posting here looks for the location on Image shack. As long as you do that, your pics here will stay on the site until something happens to break that link.

BTW, looks like the girls really like riding in the vert!
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Registered Luser

Well that doesn't sound to good....moving forward with the Vista Project, I was going to load pics there, then post full size here. Are you saying that I should also save them on my computer also? Forgive me for being Stuuu-peed....
Old January 4th, 2013, 08:33 PM

Are you saying that I should also save them on my computer also? Forgive me for being Stuuu-peed....
First, glad to see you got the hang of the picture posting.

Second, I say yes. I keep EVERY photo I have ever taken with any of my cameras on my computer's hard drive regardless of whether or not I've uploaded them to a website. I have them going back to the first digital camera I owned in about 2002. (One of my future projects is scanning into the computer all of the pre-digital prints we've got in photo albums dating to the 1970s and that are slowly yellowing.)

Hard drive space is CHEAP, so there's no reason not to keep everything. Spend $100 and get a 1 TB hard drive, and it'll take you the rest of your life to fill it up. You'll never know how many times I've been pleased to be able to hunt up an image I took at some family event years ago.

Quick Reply: What size pics do you prefer?