The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

What cell phone do you have????

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2010, 01:24 PM

What cell phone do you have????

I am ready to upgrade my cell phone and need some input on a replacement. I have Verizon service, so no iphone. I am looking at the Droid X and Droid 2. Any feedback on thses two phones??
Old October 10th, 2010, 01:51 PM
car guy

I have the same free-be that came with my plan 4 years ago. Its dials out and recieves calls. Everything I need it for.
Old October 10th, 2010, 02:03 PM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

In a previous life I had a cell phone, blackberry and pager on me all at the same time. I am glad to say I am completely wireless-less. My wife has the "free" pay as you go from Verizon. It's a samsung I think.

Adam
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM

I have a pay-as-you-go. I pay $100 and that's good for about a year for my phone. It can call out and receive calls. That's all I need. I pay for the wife's phone and also the phone for the boys...who text more than talk. Their phones take pictures, and other things that I don't even know. We're with Virgin Mobile and I have an LG phone. I think the boys have Samsung.
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:03 PM

I have the Droid that slides open with a "real" keyboard. I like that feature, and it is nice to be able to go on the internet or use the gps to get "un-lost."
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Cutlass Lover

Larry just got us new phones. I'm still trying to figure mine out, lol! He got a droid I think, and he got me the Motorola Back flip so I can text. Before these, we both had the LG Shine's from Motorola. Our plan is thru AT&T.
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:19 PM
BobsW32

I have the Droid HTC incredible...... Was a steep learning curve for me as I came from a phone but I love it now that I have learned to navigate it
Old October 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM

Got a Black Berry Curve, Don't really care much for it too.
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:52 AM

I have the blackberry bold, and either I am techno-challenged or it is a pos. It seem to change settings and etc on its own,I had to acually pull the battery and reset it to get the ringtones back. I think I saw where Verizon is dealing to have the i-phone by the end of year.
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Registered

They won't let us have phones in our cells here.
Have to use the pay phone out in the hallway.
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:33 PM

I have a good old fashioned 1st gen iPhone with T-Mobile. (Yep I'm an Uber l33t Hackz0r ) An unlocked one won't even help you with Verizon though wrong cellular bands.

There has been a rumor ever since the iPhone 4's came out, that Verizon will be getting them soon... any day now I'm sure...

Last edited by Coltonis; October 11th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM

There is the rumor that V will get the iPhone, BUT. There have been many rumors for the last 2 years and none have panned out. The rumor on the rumor is that Apple (Steve Jobs) started the rumor to slow down sales of the droid......the logic being that if people think V will get an iPhone they will wait. Now it could also be Apple allowed that rumor because yes in fact V will get an iPhone in 11.

However, one has to be very careful. V's network is not the same technology as AT&T and so a V iPhone will have limitations as of today. For instance with V's current network data will be slower and you will not be able to run data and voice at the same time as u can do with AT&T. Now, on the other hand if V put their version of the iPhone on their upcoming 4G/LTE based network then that will exceed AT&T. However, there you have problem of whether LTE wireless is available where you are and travel. Incidentally 4G/LTE is simply the wireless technology and protocols for the RF signals and the way the network deals with the signals through the hardwire pieces of the network.

AT&T will have LTE in late 2011.

iPhone on LTE will (in my opinion) certainly be blazing and should really trample droid, but again it is not here yet.

You said you have Verizon, but you can switch (and take ur number) you know.

If you want to know more details let me know.........I work for AT&T
Old October 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM

I have a Droid Eris....biggest POS ever. got it in June took a little while to learn. It acts like an older computer......slow...
You ever press the mouse buttons and nothing happens...
then you get impatience and do it again.....and again...
then it catches up and has no clue what to do and freezes up...
Thats a Droid
I was on the phone with HTC for 2.5 hrs trying to get it to sync with Outlook....even they gave up....wtf
Old October 11th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Oldsdruid

There's times I wish I didn't even have one. I have the most basic service plan available- no voicemail, no text, no nothing but a phone, and I leave it turned off more than it stays on.

Then today the plant insists they need my cell # in case they need to contact one of us for an emergency callout, and I'm thinking if they have it, I have no escape at all- I'm basically available and on call 24/7/365, and that sucks rhinoceros *** IMHO. I think they were genuinely stunned when I told them there was no VM etc on my plan, and unless the company was going to pay for it, it would stay that way. The only reason I ever got it in the first place was after my mama's health got bad and I figured she might need to get hold of me.

I'm one of these folks who does not want to be connected 100% of the time, and if I don't recognize a # on caller ID, I'll ignore the hell out of it. Unavailable or out of area? Fuhgeddaboutit- I ain't answering it.
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM

If you get an Android OS phone, stick with Samsung units. My Army buddy's soon to be wife, is the reverse logistics director for Chicago and she's told me Samsung has the least amount of recalls and repairs.

Motorola does the Droid units for Verizon IIRC. Verizon also offers the Samsung Fascinate with the Android OS. This phone operates just like an iPhone. My brother just got it. He had the 1st Droid and said it was a POS after a few months. Of course, he works in construction and maybe he beat the hell out of it.

I have a Samsung Moment Android OS phone and I love it. No complaints, and I've had it for well over 10 months now. Realistically I'd be seriously hating life without my Google maps 411 directory features that are free. Kinda like Blackberries Free411 app's. Buddy got the new 4G HTC offering from Sprint and mine was able to download files 4x faster still on 3G.

I've also had Blackberries and they were the original smartphones and great 4-10 years ago, but they are now outdated next to the Android OS offerings. Windows mobile has always been crap as well.

Last edited by Aceshigh; October 11th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM

I had Verizon, but now I have AT&T and a shiny new iPhone I got back in March.

I got tired of $300 and $400 cell phone bills.

I like all the things my iPhone can do, but IDK if I want to keep it after the two years (expense talking)
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:51 AM

I have a Motorola Razor through Verizon. It is ok. The flip conduit started to go out on it after 8 months and I had to get a replacement through the 1 year warranty.