The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Vintage boat or racing boat knowledge wanted

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2018, 04:09 PM

Vintage boat or racing boat knowledge wanted

The pictures worked!!! Not sure I understand what I done.

Anyway, I am looking for a place or forum that knows about modified boats in the 60's. Not sure if it would be racing boats or just boats that people just played with. These emblems are not made by Oldsmobile and looking for more information on them. The chrome section between the words appear to be a boat and I am told that people in the 60's went to junk yards and pulled Jetfire engines to put on boats. I even have a Jetfire engine that was found on a boat. I would just like to find someone from that boating era that may know something about these emblems. These things were professionally made so it had to be something a significant number of people would have had knowledge of back in the day. Any good tips on a place to look for information?

Old October 25th, 2018, 04:10 PM

Rats! the pictures are not right side up!
Old October 25th, 2018, 05:23 PM

Is the tag in original condition or was it restore? It is in excellent condition. I never heard of Jetfire engines being used in boats, but a very interesting concept.
Old October 25th, 2018, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Is the tag in original condition or was it restore? It is in excellent condition. I never heard of Jetfire engines being used in boats, but a very interesting concept.
These are as found and not restored. A member here found them and sent them to me. All I know is that Oldsmobile did not make them. The back side is brass and looks like the entire thing is brass with the chrome and red on the front.
Old October 27th, 2018, 07:50 PM

You dont think the image is a jet instead of a boat?

Don W
Old October 28th, 2018, 03:46 AM

Thumbs up Emblems

There is just such a place you can get info on older classic boats. It's called the antique & classic boat socitiy its located in clayton, ny up on the st. Lawerance river its great a wealth of info i was a member for 25 years . I had a engine building machine shop in upstate n.y. In the adirondack mountains & 90+ % of my engines were from the 1920's thru 1970's hope this helps.
Old October 28th, 2018, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Shifty Sidney
You dont think the image is a jet instead of a boat?

Don W
I guess it could be but I know some of these engines were found on racing boats so I was just assuming that it was a sleek hydroplane looking boat. I am only guessing but would sure love to know the history on them. Maybe even get vintage pictures of the application whatever it was.
Old October 28th, 2018, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by 56 BULB
There is just such a place you can get info on older classic boats. It's called the antique & classic boat socitiy its located in clayton, ny up on the st. Lawerance river its great a wealth of info i was a member for 25 years . I had a engine building machine shop in upstate n.y. In the adirondack mountains & 90+ % of my engines were from the 1920's thru 1970's hope this helps.
Thanks, I will check it out.
Old October 29th, 2018, 04:31 AM

I recently went to visit Thousand Islands NY. While there we went to visit the Antique &Classic boat Museum in Clayton. It was really a nice museum with fantastic old wood boats. They have a research center. Well worth the trip to see.
Rick