The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Very Unusual Traffic Stop

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
That can't work in our state because the officer must present the ticket to the driver. No photo/mail tickets.
Ummm, you might want to read the thread before you respond. I was suggesting they send the FREE ICE CREAM CERTIFICATE in the mail, not a TICKET.
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
OK, I'll explain it to you as it's very simple.
Sez you. That's your opinion and you're welcome to it. I disagree that engagement with LEOs has to always have a negative tone. That's the narrow-mindedness I was talking about, partly ingrained into many people's DNA because of what they perceive. Again...were you there? If you can't acknowledge that he could have been contemplating a warning/citation initially then changed his mind, then it's more complicated than you think. We can talk generalities all day and still have different opinions. I simply don't agree with yours. Doesn't make us bad people.
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by starfire
Ummm, you might want to read the thread before you respond. I was suggesting they send the FREE ICE CREAM CERTIFICATE in the mail, not a TICKET.
I read it. You don't live in my state so you misunderstood. Of course, if they started randomly sending out ice cream certificates in the mail, that would get me worried.

It could be this guy's brother:

Old June 30th, 2011, 09:58 AM

This just in!!!!! Cop in new york leaves assault rifle on the trunk of his car and drives off...pedestrians had to flag him down when it fell off onto the street!!! Talk about gun control, HAHAHAHA...just making my point, these things happen everyday. If I left one of my handguns on the trunk of my car and drove off, I'd have my LTC revoked and probably pay some type of fine on top of it, and I'd probably lose that gun. But what happened to this cop?? Nothing so far, must be nice to be immune to justice...so who wants to step up and defend this ding-dong??

Last edited by 1965cutlassragtop; June 30th, 2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:04 AM

If you can't acknowledge that he could have been contemplating a warning/citation initially then changed his mind
I think the chance of this was less than zero. We cannot ascribe any kind of thoughts to the cop. We know nothing except the facts, so let's not start wondering what might or might not have been in his mind and then start defending him or criticizing him on that basis. That takes us nowhere.

Last edited by jaunty75; June 30th, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

He's not immune to justice, the average citizen is just over-vulnerable to "justice."
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
He's not immune to justice, the average citizen is just over-vulnerable to "justice."
nice switch-a-roo, i like it!!!
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Sorry, I just can't get into this "oh how nice" and feel good mood about cops pulling over innocent drivers to give then an ice cream ticket. As stated previously:
-It is a danger to the cop
-It is a danger and stressful to the driver
-It is a waste of tax payer money
-It might delay a cop getting to a real emergency
Old June 30th, 2011, 12:50 PM

I read it. You don't live in my state so you misunderstood. Of course, if they started randomly sending out ice cream certificates in the mail, that would get me worried.
What does me not living in your state have to do with it? Are you saying that in your state it is illegal for the police to send ice cream certificates in the mail? Because that is what you quoted me about. Sending ice cream certificates, not tickets.
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by starfire
What does me not living in your state have to do with it? Are you saying that in your state it is illegal for the police to send ice cream certificates in the mail? Because that is what you quoted me about. Sending ice cream certificates, not tickets.
If it's from a LEO, yes. It must be handed to you in person. Even an ice cream citation. But fat chance that would ever happen in the U.S.
Old June 30th, 2011, 09:17 PM

What I have observed in my half century plus on this planet, is that the people whom bitch about the law, are the ones breaking it.
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
What I have observed in my half century plus on this planet, is that the people whom bitch about the law, are the ones breaking it.
I'm sure Gandhi and Martin Luther King would agree with you.

- Eric
Old July 1st, 2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I'm sure Gandhi and Martin Luther King would agree with you.

- Eric
Yep, I'm sure when you are facing reckless driving/manslaughter charges, you will be able to throw that out there, and the court will immediately dismiss your case. I mean you are oppressed right?
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:02 AM

i'm sure you've never even been pulled over by a police officer in your life, right?

they don't issue gun licences to criminals, and i live in mass.....just the fact that i have the legal right to carry a concealed loaded weapon should say enough about my credibility and what my criminal record looks like. you don't have to be a criminal to bitch about the law, all you need is a set of eyeballs and an open mind to see that cops have a stack of "get out of jail free" cards and they take advantage of it everyday while we're getting the shaft. and i'm not bitching about the law, i'm bitching about how cops don't follow the law and get away with it while we get the fines. why do you think people have those blue stripe license plates?? it's so other cops know that the person driving that car either IS a cop, or is a family member of a cop....so what is the whole point of advertising that, can someone tell me?? allow me....it's so cops know who to give breaks to, and who is just a regular schmuck they can screw over.
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:15 AM

i'm sure you've never even been pulled over by a police officer in your life, right?
Of course I have, but I don't blame them when I'm the guilty one. I take my lumps, pay my fines and get over it.
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM

and i did pay my fine.....so is it wrong to point out what the police officer did wrong in the process of giving me that fine?? if it had been a legal case of greater importance and greater consequences, it would have mattered BIG TIME. but because i was unrepresented and because it was just a speeding ticket, those points i made were swept under the rug, like i never said them. that is called GETTING F**KED!!! but if i had a lawyer by my side who was familiar with the court room proceedings and who was not able to be taken advantage of, i would not have had to pay that ticket. i'm not saying i wasn't wrong in speeding, but i will not ever get over the fact that the officer broke at least 3 laws in issueing me this ticket, but who was the only one punishable?? me, and that's the problem i am bitching about....
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yep, I'm sure when you are facing reckless driving/manslaughter charges, you will be able to throw that out there, and the court will immediately dismiss your case. I mean you are oppressed right?
Of course. Actually, when I did drive recklessly for a living (as a government employee), there was never any hint of the possibility of charges, even when I would have been considered to be completely in the wrong from a strictly legal perspective (having lights and sirens on doesn't legally protect you from charges if you cause an accident), in the many accidents I racked up. The police just made sure I was okay, then proceded to to cite the other drivers for failure to yield. I mean, I'm not criticizing the police here, heck, they were nice people and they were on my side, but the fact is that ragtop is right, the rules are very different depending on whether you are in the club or not.

So, yes, I have driven extremely recklessly in the past (ever go the wrong way down a four lane highway at rush hour at 60mph?), and yes, I did cause accidents (the accidents would not have happened if I had not been driving at double the speed limit while going through red lights), but no, there were no charges, so I guess that means my case was dismissed, and I didn't even have to bring up Gandhi - I just had to be a member of the club.

As for the inevitability of my facing charges in the future (you did say "when," not "if"), I would suggest that you are being melodramatic. In my half-century on this planet, I've calmed down, just a bit, and seldom drive over 90 anymore.

And as far as bitching about the law, that's called "democracy."
If you don't like the law, you bitch about it, and if enough people bitch about it, their elected officials take notice and change it, sort of like the now near-universal availability of carry permits in this country - the people wanted it, they bitched, their legislators listened, and the laws were changed.
Sometimes, if you think the law is morally wrong, you violate it on purpose, preferably with a lot of other people at the same time, to illustrate your point. That's called "civil disobedience."
I would suggest you stand on an overpass over any highway in this country with a stopwatch and check the speeds of the cars passing under you. You would find a near-universal violation of the sacrosanct speeding laws by people who believe them to be unjust and / or pointless. I see this as a sort of mass civil disobedience by people who feel oppressed by these laws and who bitch about them, but who are unlikely ever to be charged with reckless driving or vehicular manslaughter.

- Eric
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 1965cutlassragtop
i'm not saying i wasn't wrong in speeding...
I will.

If you were travelling at a speed that was safe for the road and traffic conditions and for the model, condition, and equipment of your vehicle, you weren't wrong.

- Eric
Old July 1st, 2011, 05:01 PM

MDchanic.....I like you! Speaking the truth! I bet u have many memories doing things u probably wouldn't have been able to do if u weren't "in the club". And I also agree with u based on the average speed of vehicles on any Massachusetts, new Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine freeway that I have ever driven on I would guess to be about 75-80mph. Speed limits are never posted over 65mph, and fluctuates to 55mph. So people definately are cruising right along out there. Personally, I don't bring my car up over 50mph on back roads or populated areas, but the highway is meant to serve as high speed travel routes with the right conditions for faster travel. If u drive a quality, relatively new vehicle, u are easily capable of driving 90-100mph with one hand on the wheel, the other holding a cigarette, as safe as your driving skill capacity and comfort level will allow. My father lives in rockland, ME...I owned a 2000 BMW M3 4 door. I would reach a certain highway once I got about 2 hours north, just coming into Maine, where it was miles between exits, and I would set that cruise control at 110mph solid, and just be on my way. Couldn't do that in a 1995 corolla though...that's a death wish for sure. And o course, there's always potential for danger when driving any motor vehicle....danger levels will vary upon the vehicle, road conditions, driver skill level. U know what your car is capable, how fast u can corner, how fast u can brake. But now I'm just stating the obvious, but some people are very naive to the legality compared to reality, and how things really go down out there.

Last edited by 1965cutlassragtop; July 1st, 2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM

How absurd.
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:37 PM

MDchanic.....I like you! Speaking the truth! I bet u have many memories doing things u probably wouldn't have been able to do if u weren't "in the club". And I also agree with u based on the average speed of vehicles on any Massachusetts, new Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine freeway that I have ever driven on I would guess to be about 75-80mph. Speed limits are never posted over 65mph, and fluctuates to 55mph. So people definately are cruising right along out there. Personally, I don't bring my car up over 50mph on back roads or populated areas, but the highway is meant to serve as high speed travel routes with the right conditions for faster travel. If u drive a quality, relatively new vehicle, u are easily capable of driving 90-100mph with one hand on the wheel, the other holding a cigarette, as safe as your driving skill capacity and comfort level will allow. My father lives in rockland, ME...I owned a 2000 BMW M3 4 door. I would reach a certain highway once I got about 2 hours north, just coming into Maine, where it was miles between exits, and I would set that cruise control at 110mph solid, and just be on my way. Couldn't do that in a 1995 corolla though...that's a death wish for sure. And o course, there's always potential for danger when driving any motor vehicle....danger levels will vary upon the vehicle, road conditions, driver skill level. U know what your car is capable, how fast u can corner, how fast u can brake. But now I'm just stating the obvious, but some people are very naive to the legality compared to reality, and how things really go down out there.

Who are you to say what your car is capable of? Or what your skill level is?
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:17 PM

Yeah, and at a buck ten, when one of those mickey mouse michelins [std. on Acuras] blows out, you ain't gonna have time to put your head 'tween your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye, let alone anyone else around you!!
We were all young and stupid at one time, but 40 years ago, there was about 60 percent less traffic = less stupid people to get in the way!!
In Illinois, they now impound your car if you're over 30 over - hope they implement that throughout the US, as there's no reason for it!
And watch the senior remarks - there are some here that'd drive your socks off, at a track, legally!
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM

that "buck ten" was in a 2000 M3 Beamer, not an acura....ever drive one??? if you had, you wouldn't be contesting it's capabilities. also.....no "mickey mouse michelins" for me my friend.....my acura is also modified. 19"x8" alloy wheels, Nexen Z-rated 40 series tires, Eibach coilovers w/ sway bars, cold air intake, throttle body spacer, injector kit:-)

and c'mon...it's just common sense that a 2010 Mercedes S500 can handle much higher speeds than let's say a 1999 Toyota Corolla. doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out....u guys and your particulars!!!! gimme a break.....and i am pretty familiar with my car's limits....i wouldn't feel comfortable over 100-110mph in my acura, but definately 90mph NO PROBLEM!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Old July 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM

and yes, when i get a new car...i push it and test it's drivabilty. go to an open lot, industrial park, wherever is suitable. see how fast it will get to 60, see how well it stops, see how well it corners without braking traction.....these are things everyone should do with a new vehicle. you don't want to find these things out in an actual driving situation on the road.
Old July 8th, 2011, 03:53 PM

I agree a S550, SL550 or virtually any MB or BMW will handle better and be safer them 99% of the cars on the road. I saw this personally when my wife driving our SL was broadsided by a Ford Excursion doing 50mph. the front right wheel was buckled under, the motor shifted, the trans poked up a little in the console, but there was absolutely no intrusion into the passenger compartment the passenger door was dented and ripped on the outside but even so with just little effort it could still open half way.

However, what I have learned in my 40 years on the road (driving since I was 16) is that other people are lousy drivers. For one thing most people simply cannot judge another car's rate of speed and therefore how fast a gap will close. This also leads to things like people merging into high speed traffic and accelerating like they are in a school zone. I have seen people plodding (under the limit) along in the left lane and when I or someone else comes up from behind and decide to put a blinker on to switch lanes to go around they decide to suddenly move over. I always expect those silly manuevers so I try to observe, if I can, the driver's head and hands movements and always make sure there is an out for me.

So, no matter how good a car handles or however safe it is - there are too many Bozos out there. So, don't count on your skill so much. In addition at 60Mph you are traveling at 88ft/sec at 90 it is 132ft/sec how fast can u react? Did you test yourself? Also, I can't believe that you don't comprehend the very basic physics of biomechanics. Even if you car can prevent intrustion, and even if it is heavy enough to carry its mass forward (as opposed to being repelled) if the de-acceleration of your body is too swift then, even with airbags, your brain and other organs will bruise and rip internally. Not to mention in all this you might kill someone else. So, if you're alone on a lonely stretch of highway I say fine go for 110mph - the possible speeding ticket not withstanding. I mean that, but should you see another car I would hope you moderate ur speed. Because frankly I don't trust your driving ability one bit.

Last edited by coltsneckbob; July 8th, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old July 8th, 2011, 04:15 PM

Healthy, alive, able to drive = GOOD
Ice cream = GOOD
Free Ice cream = VERY GOOD

Good cops = GOOD
Bad cops = BAD
Being randomly pulled over = NO BIG DEAL
Driving at insane speeds = NO GOOD you guys need a race track or a very large hamster wheel

Damn I want some ice cream now.
Old July 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Good points, I definately don't make a habit of driving at those speeds often, I actually mostly drive very safely cuz I understand there are other factors involved in collisions beside what's under my control. I try to drive defensively, and anticipate what other drivers are going to do, then proceed accordingly. I have some banana split sundae ice cream in the freezer anyway...And I absolutely only pick certain circumstances to drive at that speed. And really, it's hardly ever....I'm just arguing the point of cops do whatever they want, shouldn't be stopping pedestrians if they havn't broke the law.
Old July 8th, 2011, 09:09 PM

I'm just arguing the point of cops do whatever they want, shouldn't be stopping pedestrians if they havn't broke the law.
On that point I whole heartedly agree.
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by coltsneckbob
However, what I have learned in my 40 years on the road (driving since I was 16) is that other people are lousy drivers. For one thing most people simply cannot judge another car's rate of speed and therefore how fast a gap will close. This also leads to things like people merging into high speed traffic and accelerating like they are in a school zone. I have seen people plodding (under the limit) along in the left lane and when I or someone else comes up from behind and decide to put a blinker on to switch lanes to go around they decide to suddenly move over. I always expect those silly manuevers so I try to observe, if I can, the driver's head and hands movements and always make sure there is an out for me.

i just want to point out that there are points and observations in ths paragraph that show you ARE more aware then other drivers, you probably have not CAUSED many accidents in your 40 years of driving because of your awareness. that is the point i was making about knowing your own skill level and driving to a point where you feel comfortable.....like if you didn't have a "safe out", then you probably would resist making whatever move you were contiplating. there are some drivers out there that are oblivious to what's going on around them. for example, the senior citizen comment....and i don't mean 50, 60 year olds who are still competant and aware of what's going on around them. i'm talking about the 70, 80, even 90 year old drivers who DON"T KNOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON anymore. like blatently backing out of a parking spot and not realizing there is someone right behind them BEEPING and they just ram right into them, then get out of the car asking "what happened"....and they don't even know what day it is!!!! those people need to be off the streets. the other day i was coming down a main road with a 50mph speed limit.....tiny old lady could barely see over the steering wheel, trying to pull out of an establishment into my lane. she looks right over towards me, then just pulls right out and probably didn't even have her foot on the gas, just let the car idle out into the road, i slammed on my brakes, then she proceeds up to about 20mph down the road. SHE PROBABLY DIDN"T EVEN SEE ME COMING!!! those are the senior citizens i mention, no offense to the ones who are perfectly capable. i think people's doctors should have an influence on the DMV's decision to issue a license, and that includes ALL AGES!!

Last edited by 1965cutlassragtop; July 9th, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old July 9th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Well, OK.

Just some additional comments
-Age may be some indicator of skill, but far from reliable when you speak of older folks. The reason is because experience can offset a lot. I know of some 50 and 60 year olds (my wife for one and my friend's wife) with whom neither me nor my friend like to have drive us. Then there is my Mom who at 85 is a very skilled and alert driver. My grandfather drove until 90 with no accidents, but gave it up when he felt his eyesight wasn't good enough (though he passed the DMV vision test). For some reason wife and friend's wife have become extremely timid drivers (in additional to losing the sense of judging speed). However, to my mind a better corollary exists between youth and bad driving. There you have lack or experience, way to too much distraction and sense of immortality combined with a false notion of having quick reflexes.

For the record I consider myself NEVER to have caused an accident (knock on wood). I have never hit another car other then a very slow (<5 Mph) bumper bump - however I was 20 and my excuse was the girl in the shorty shorts walking down the street - so technically she caused it. I did slide into a tree on a snowy day - but there I was avoiding a dumbassed woman sliding out of her hilly driveway - and I got caught on frozen tire tracks that steered me into a small tree.....I hit the tree at less then 20 mph as I was going very slowly myself.
-I am reluctant to impose too many physical requirements on drivers. I mean obviously they must meet the criteria of a visual test and have a method of capably working the steering, blinker, brakes and gas, but drawing the line beyond those simple things is difficult. I think that we live in a free society and with that comes various pleasures, rights, privledges and yes risk. So yes those incompetent drivers are people we need to be alert for. I suppose I could accept that if a driver has too many accidents (any type of accident) where it is demonstrated were due to some physical (or even mental) impairment or handicap then the state should limit or withdraw driving privledges...........heck don't we do this with drunk drivers.

Last edited by coltsneckbob; July 9th, 2011 at 09:35 AM.