The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Tree Hugger v. Muscle car

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
It gets worse...
There was a HOA in Dallas somewhere that tells you what kind of car can actually be exposed ON your property! American trucks were not allowed outside the garage, for example. One guy had a $47K Ford pickup who was being harrassed as it was being kept on his own driveway...
Now THAT is commie!!
We should kill these people before they run the entire country.
American beliefs are not what they used to be. Are they going to call and complain when foreign tanks are rolling over their bird baths?
R.I.P. Old Glory.

Last edited by J-(Chicago); August 12th, 2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
We should kill these people before they run the entire country.
American beliefs are not what they used to be. Are they going to call and complain when foreign tanks are rolling over there bird baths?
R.I.P. Old Glory.
I think you could fight that pretty easily. I know a lot of states, including AZ, have made it easier to take HOA's to court. We have a standard court fee ($250) that you can pay to take them to small claims court. I know my association is pretty strapped for cash and they wouldn't want to drag something out in court, they'd at least try to come up with a compromise. I can't imagine a judge would hold up that rule...it's pretty ridiculous.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
So I guess you don't use Chinesium patch panels.
NOPE!!
I cleaned and POR15ed the little rot holes in the lower fenders... They are mostly covered by the rocker moldings.

Originally Posted by Joeypete
I guess in a small sense I'm a tree hugger too. Not to an extreme extent of course...
I don't want to be judged for owning an old car however. Most people are very fascinated by older cars thankfully...I get a lot of compliments actually.
Same here. I do not waste anything and I do use my recycle bin. I reuse whatever I can.
Problem in dallas, anything "old", no matter the condition, is deemed bad in general. There is no history here. I hate it and I do not mind being the rebel. I will not be changed.
However, Lady helps to break this from many, as they are facsinated with her.
Jus today I got some wonderful enthusiastic comments about her from a coworker who was telling his foriegn visitor about her...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 12th, 2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
We should kill these people before they run the entire country

Unfortunately J, the horse is already out of the barn on that one. Lunatic fringe figured out long ago that they could get their agendas passed by getting their people elected and then lining the pockets of the rest.
Old August 12th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

There is a similar attitude in some parts of the DC metro area. A full size Chevy pickup cannot be parked on the street, but a Suburban can.
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
olds..older..oldest

Horses vs. Horsepower

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yupper. After living on a 45 ft by 100 ft lot in SoCal, I bought a 55 acre farm in Northern VA. My wife thinks the farm is for her horses...
When we got our 7-acre piece of heaven here in Ontario,my dressage-horse-addicted wife started chirping about a stable....luckily,the local rules prohibit stock on less than 10 acres,but I can COVER the property with all the Oldsmobiles I want....owned,registered,licensed or not.[she does,unfortunately,ride with some very high-powered divorce lawyers]...so I may need to sneak them in gradually over the next few years!!!
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Captain of my ship

he who has the most horses wins
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:22 AM

[quote=derek nesdoly;101228],but I can COVER the property with all the Oldsmobiles I want....owned,registered,licensed or not.[
Guess I'm in the wrong part of Ontario.It works the other way for me.
I can keep all the horses I want but not cars.
Old August 18th, 2009, 11:12 AM
67 heavy metal

I was reading this and just had to post this from a camedian. "do you know if you stick you arm outside the window of a prius the car will start to turn" ha ha little sardine tin cans.
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:15 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I am a big tree hugger so is my family for the last 80 years we have owned and operated a plant nursery. There is money in it and it allows me to live. If I changed what we grew I could be rich least until the cops show up. I figure with all the plants i have sold I can burn all the gas I want until the day I die.
Larry
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:20 PM

I live near two VERY Liberal College towns in Oregon. I have Oregon State just to the west and the University of Oregon just to the south. Needless to say they just LOVE my 61 88 when I pull up next to one of their SMART CARS! I just look at them and say, "And I have 8 more at home', Then just walk away smiling!
Old August 21st, 2009, 09:47 PM

The HOA where I live isn't that bad but the one we were going to move to was.

Only white curtains in the windows, no street parking at all, yaad yaad yaad.

Where I'm at, you are allow to work on the cars from sun up to sun set, but the car must be driviable at sun set (or look like it, had 1/2 the Delta engine in the trunk at one point )

I have a neighbor that really breaks ***** about me working on the cars. I really got pissed off this past winter when the Alternator took a crap in 10* weather with a wind chill of -15* and I had to fix it. I also took a nice chunk out of my finger too trying to unstuck the battery terminal from the battery wrench. Damn that hurt and bled a lot too but she still deceided to say something to me
Old August 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM
Oldsdruid

I saw one of those damn smart cars for the first time today.

All I could think about was one of them Cozy Coupe kid cars.

Ridiculous looking piece of schit if you ask me.

"What kind of car? A damn penguin car, ahright?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgByS...eature=related
Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:38 AM
Captain of my ship

Funny

them damn penguin cars are a hazard to the people inside. Did y'all see the crash testing they did on those where they were using mid-size cars and this stupid smart car was sent flying. imagine if one of them crossed the path of my 69-98 on the highway , could take me all day to peel it off the bumper
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:56 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Redog
You know that's 100% true.

A Hybrid is worse for the environment than a diesal truck!

Hybrid emit more greenhouse gases and the battery pack are going to be a problem in a few years when they go bad.

I really shouldn't talk, I've had cars with batteries. Anybody remember Tyco R/C cars and Stomper 4x4's
RIGTH ON , REDOG!
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Redog
but she still deceided to say something to me
I hope you responded appropriately to her. It could at least helped you to vent some steam!

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I saw one of those damn smart cars for the first time today.
All I could think about was one of them Cozy Coupe kid cars.
Ain't that the truth!

Originally Posted by wolfman98
imagine if one of them crossed the path of my 69-98 on the highway , could take me all day to peel it off the bumper
Would look just like a bug on a windshield...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; August 23rd, 2009 at 06:46 AM.
Old August 25th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I'm glad there isn't a home owner's association in my neighborhood. Too bad your neighbor is a commie!
Now I know what HOA means! My neighborhood don't have one but the crabby old lady put up a$6000.00 vinyl fence because I brought home another junk car according to her. I parked it right about 6 inches from the property line too! I love it!
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM

I have never had anyone every tell me to trade my car or get rid of it. I usually get a thumbs up (my finger of choice yes I know it's not really a finger). I'm all for saving the planet, but everything in moderation.
Old August 26th, 2009, 06:31 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by wolfman98
them damn penguin cars are a hazard to the people inside. Did y'all see the crash testing they did on those where they were using mid-size cars and this stupid smart car was sent flying. imagine if one of them crossed the path of my 69-98 on the highway , could take me all day to peel it off the bumper

It would look like the yugo that I saw get hit by a 68 cadallic fleetwood.
Not pretty
The caddy had a couple of busted lights and paint scrapes. The yugo a crushed beer can on Sat. night.
Larry
Old August 27th, 2009, 04:38 AM

Smart car?

I don't think so.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
smart car.jpg (64.8 KB, 51 views)
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:12 AM

Holy cow!

I hope that was staged.
Old August 27th, 2009, 06:18 AM

Ouch, thats gotta hurt. I don't think many cars would have survived that, at the very least a smart car or should I say dumb car
Old August 27th, 2009, 07:12 AM

Hooooooeeeeee!

Great thread! Keep it going! I live in the country those "smart" cars come from! Going to try to approximate what I get all the time:
Q: What does it use?
A: gas!

And yes, I'm about as green as most of my neighbors & Germany is really environmentally conscious. HOWEVER, I drive less than 3000 mi a year with the Olds! That's supposed to be a sin or something??? DON'T THINK SO!!!
BTW: I enjoy every second of those 3000 miles!

Ralph
Old August 27th, 2009, 01:53 PM

I use CFB's in my house, recylce my oil, can, bottles, paper religiously and make sure that I'm not a problem with the enviroment.

So I think I'm entitled to drive around a fun car getting 8 MPG and running on leaded gas, esp since I only drove the car about 2000 miles a year, if that.

(My wife actually said that)
Old August 27th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Captain of my ship

X2 or is it 3 or 4

Same here anyway. The way I see it if I recycle everything that I am allowed , use CFB's in every socket , even do my own compost , always turn off lights etc. etc. I am doing my part so I deserve to cruise in my Olds in the summer. 1 more week for parts and maybe it will be running , though I have had her fired up and it runs good. The old man always used to say there are only 2 kinds of people , the ones who are part of the problem and those who aren't. That pretty much aplies to everything don't it.
Old August 27th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by rocketraider
And the Pious crowd wonders why people think they're loony. I haven't met one yet who wasn't holier than thou. A guy over on AACA.org forums preaches the gospel of Pious constantly and has really alienated the old car crowd over there. Just this week he told me I was delusional for being unwilling to accept the hybrid car as savior of the planet, when the real issue was I told him I didn't want it legislated down my throat.

When you told her it was none of her business, she should have stopped right then and there and gone about her own. But people like that constantly think they have to judge others' choices in life. Indeed, they think they have the RIGHT to do so...

The only bad thing is busybodies like that will now go na-na-na-ing to their legislators trying to get classic/antique plates outlawed. Stupid ****** can't fathom that these cars are rarely daily drivers and as such emit roughly the same pollution as their eco-mobiles in the grand scheme of things.
Glenn I do not mean to break your heart, but Kathy Metta , does drive one of these crapboxes. This was back in Oct of 2008
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Ouch, thats gotta hurt. I don't think many cars would have survived that, at the very least a smart car or should I say dumb car
Proposed smart car ad copy insertion:

"BUT WAIT - THERE'S MORE!!
In the event of being involved in a fatal accident, the smart car compresses easily and encapulates the driver for easy, casketless burial in a standard-sized funeral hole!
Just think - we save you money at gas pump, AND at the cemetery!
The smart car - by Ronco!"
Old August 28th, 2009, 11:48 AM

Good one Rob, Could also add casket for two fits in one hole
Old August 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Registered car nut

Clean air, decent MPG those are good things, things I am willing to try for.
When I can afford it a Gear Vendors O/D will go in the 65. The better the MPG the more I'll be able to drive and enjoy it !

I will have it running as well as can be and have no problem smog checking it. I don't have to in Washington state but I will. I want to know its not a gross polluter. I had a 67 El Camino powered by a 69 427 that blew as clean as a 81 Camaro. Not great but not bad. Worth the effort IMO

We don't have to be on the opposite side of the fence as the self righteous "greenies" but its sure hard not to come out swinging when someone is a *** to you.
Old August 28th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I don't think so.
If anyone is old enough to remember John Wayne's movie, "McQ"(Jamesbo should)....looks like his firebird....
Old August 28th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

i have a bumper sticker on my delta

it says:

this car cancels 5 prius's
Old August 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Senior Moment Member

Don't worry guys. Soon enough the present administration will let us know what we can drive and when. If they don't get a grip on the dollar tanking in relation to other currencies oil will be $300 a barrel and gas will be $10 a gallon. Oil is denominated in dollars. The less a dollar is worth the more it takes of them to buy that barrel. That's why the price will rise. Because we are running such high deficits and printing money like mad it is a simple fact of supply and demand. Too many dollars makes them worth less. Just like any other commodity.
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Don't worry guys. Soon enough the present administration will let us know what we can drive and when. If they don't get a grip on the dollar tanking in relation to other currencies oil will be $300 a barrel and gas will be $10 a gallon. Oil is denominated in dollars. The less a dollar is worth the more it takes of them to buy that barrel. That's why the price will rise. Because we are running such high deficits and printing money like mad it is a simple fact of supply and demand. Too many dollars makes them worth less. Just like any other commodity.
A shrinking dollar would increase the cost of oil but the bright spot in supply and demand is that when people start driving more and more fuel efficient cars the demand for oil will go down as will the price. When the administration announced that they were going to persue more sustainable energy the price for oil dropped cause stock in oil futures was in doubt so that also helped to drop the price. I figure the more they drive their "smart" cars the more I will be able to drive my Olds.
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Senior Moment Member

Good point but the dollar market will determine what the price of oil is. Right now we have a 24 year low demand and a 24 year high supply of oil. (No kidding) It should be $10 a barrel. Why is it $74. Look at a dollar chart. It is getting crushed because of the rampant debt issued and forecast by this banana republic psuedo-dictator wannabe. (That's a long one!)
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Captain of my ship

I guess it will be a wait and see market , last year it was a lot higher then the bottom dropped out then now it's picked up with the markets and the lower dollar.The U.S. dollar will pick up again when the economy turns around , but that may not be until next year. We all just have to wait and see.
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:50 AM

When I can afford it a Gear Vendors O/D will go in the 65.
I've heard alot of good things about Gear Venodors units. I would consider getting one for my 71 98 in the future as well. Talk about an ultimate highway crusier!
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:06 AM

What the auto industry should make is a tow speed rear end like they had on some cars in the thirtys. My borther had a 39 ford with a Ruxall (not sure if I spelled the correctly) two speed rear end. Was a neat car. Shifted with a pull up **** on the side of the floor shifter.
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:08 AM

Pat, I've heard of those as well. Were they aftermarket units back in the day or were they factory installed?
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM
67 heavy metal

I went online today and found this http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090831/...nm/india420934

I will take the old stuff any day to begin with but not good when these clown cars are eating up elements and metals.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:36 AM
Official Tire Kicker

Most of the Prius's that I see out here in SOCAL have Obama stickers on them. I think the dealers are putting the stickers on to increase sales. HAHA Pulled up beside one the other day and had to gun the engine out of the light to give them some real exhaust fumes!

Quick Reply: Tree Hugger v. Muscle car