The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Remember these ?

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2022, 09:42 PM

Remember these ?

When cleaning out some drawers the other day besides finding some old watches I found one of these, I asked my youngest daughter (33)
who was visiting at the time if she knew what it was ? she said is it some kind of key chain logo ? from some hippie band you used to listen to ? isn't that the Led Zeplin logo ? I laughed my *** off !

Old July 24th, 2022, 10:27 PM

That’s an adapter for a 45 RPM record to play on a traditional turntable.

45s have a big hole vs 33 1/3 LPs that have a small hole, and those adapters snapped into the 45 and the small hole fit the turntable’s post.

Some turntables had a spring loaded large disc with a small fixed post in the center. When 45s were put on the large disc centered the record. When an LP was put on, the large disc was pushed down and the fixed post centered the record.

Yeah, I’m old enough to remember these. But not so old that I don’t remember them. 😊

Last edited by Fun71; July 24th, 2022 at 10:34 PM.
Old July 25th, 2022, 04:19 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
That’s an adapter for a 45 RPM record to play on a traditional turntable.
^^Bingo^^ I went through many of those. Some were good plastic, some were even cardboard. Some came with the record (the cardboard variety) for some 45 records, some came with the record player, when you lost one you just bought a new one. They were changing times when 45's came out.
Old July 25th, 2022, 04:21 AM
same but different

My friend and I were talking about these yesterday. And, console stereos too. Good Times.
Old July 25th, 2022, 04:24 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by don71
My friend and I were talking about these yesterday. And, console stereos too. Good Times.
My part-time job in high school was delivering Magnavox console stereos/televisions to customer's homes, then setting them up. Good times.
Old July 25th, 2022, 06:16 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Norm, you may enjoy this picture. It is a Magnavox 1K8870, 8-Track Recorder & Player from the early '70s. I purchased it several years ago to press into service with other vintage hi-fi equipment. It's built by JVC and identical inside to the JVC Nivico 1250 and CHR250UB models.

Old July 25th, 2022, 06:28 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by tnswt
Norm, you may enjoy this picture. It is a Magnavox 1K8870, 8-Track Recorder & Player from the early '70s. I purchased it several years ago to press into service with other vintage hi-fi equipment. It's built by JVC and identical inside to the JVC Nivico 1250 and CHR250UB models.
Wow - memories. I may have owned that model? I could buy stuff for cost. I can't tell you how many automobile 8-track players I either owned/installed in my 1967 442 in the late 60s/early 70s or the number of home 8-track players. Seems we went through them like hotcakes - always eating tapes, always buying a new one. That unit is a true novelty though, since most 8-tracks were players with no recording function. Thanks for sharing.
Old July 25th, 2022, 07:48 AM

Led zep 1&2, nOS lol

Old July 25th, 2022, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
My part-time job in high school was delivering Magnavox console stereos/televisions to customer's homes, then setting them up. Good times.
When we were kids visiting my grand parents Gramps only had 2 rules don't touch the piano or the MAGNAVOX console !! he had 3 prize possessions, the piano the Magnavox and his 1957 Olds Rocket 88 2 door !!!
Old July 25th, 2022, 08:05 AM

Bought this to listen to 8 tracks in the garage $35
it opens up for sterofonic sound, lol

Last edited by Burd; July 25th, 2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old July 25th, 2022, 08:53 AM

^^Bingo^^ I went through many of those. Some were good plastic, some were even cardboard.
LOL, we used to make our own 45-adapters from cardboard when we didn't have a record player w/ an adapter. My parents also had a Magnavox console TV / Stereo Receiver / Record changer. It had a 25" color TV (tubes), 12" woofers and 3x9" horn tweeters. When mom and dad left the house, my older sisters would invite their friends over and they'd stack as many 45s on the turntable as would fit on the spindle adapter and crank the tunes. That turntable was clever, to sense the size of the record sitting on the spindle, before the mechanism would drop the record onto the platter, the tone arm would rise up and swing inward until it contacted the edge of the record to gauge its size, then after dropping the record onto the platter, would drop the needle onto the lead-in groove just inside of where it measured (there was even an adjustment in the mechanism for this offset). You could even mix the sizes of the records when placing them on the spindle, as long as the largest ones were on the bottom. After the TV died, I salvaged the speakers into my own home-built 12" 3-ways that I still have and use today (well, the 3x9 horns are still in use, the woofers eventually blew out after 4 years of abuse while I was in college). The 3x9 horns are crossed-over as mid-range and I added some Realistic super-tweeters for the highs. The AM/FM receiver chassis from that Magnavox console was later put in a box and I "donated" it to my frat house to use as an amp for speakers in the billiards room. HA! I was re-cycling electronics before it was a thing.

Old July 25th, 2022, 11:55 AM

Cool thread. I actually just passed on a Ford radio/cassette player I found in the salvage yard for my 86 Ford F250. I figured I will eventually get a modern stereo with Bluetooth and hide it under the seat once I upgrade the OE speakers.

Aside from the nostalgia, I'm surprised to see folks holding onto 8 track players. Magnetic tape was never an ideal storage medium (either 8 track or cassette). I've seen assorted 8 tracks and cassettes for sale at a local store and wondered how many of them would still be playable?
Old July 25th, 2022, 12:38 PM

Ahem. Those of us with decent turntables have machined adaptors.

This is not a picture of any of my tables, but it is the same model. You can see the adapter in its nest in the upper left hand corner.

I rarely play 45s, most of my vinyl are LPs. I did get fooled by the Cult's Sweet Soul Sister EP, as it has the 33 rpm small hole, so I played it at 33rpm.

It's actually a 12 inch record cut at 45 rpm (which is becoming more common these days). I played it starting at 33, and, since The Cult plays and sings high in the scales, it actually sounded Metal As F*&K, but I put it back where it was supposed to be.

Old July 25th, 2022, 01:08 PM

Still have my 1977 ghetto blaster.

Old July 25th, 2022, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

My first record player played one 45 & that was all. It could play nothing else.Never needed a center spindle adapter since it played one single 45.
Old July 25th, 2022, 03:45 PM

A couple of years back I had a friend up to our cabin at Eagle Lake and while enjoying a glass or two of an adult beverage I reached over and turned on the stereo to play a little Willie. He looked at me and asked if that is really an 8 track you just turned on, Yep,. Been playing that same tape for about 15 years now. This wouldn't be Eagle Lake if I wasn't listing to Willie. I do have a backup if that one takes a dump...Tedd
Old July 25th, 2022, 04:43 PM

I don't own any 45's my old Pioneer PL-115d played 33 1/3 & 45's it needs a new belt and probably a new new needle/ cartridge maybe some day I will drag it out fix it and spin some classic vinyl .If I had any 45's and I must have since I have the adapter they are long gone.
Funny my oldest sister had LP's( she's now 78) big Johnny Mathis and Julie London fan my middle sister
(now gone) must have been the 45 queen she had stacks of them she was in to Motown, Dianna Ross ETC..
and me I will listen to anything from big band to folk ( just no Rapp).

Last edited by solly; July 25th, 2022 at 04:55 PM.
Old July 25th, 2022, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

The countless nights I fell to sleep in my bedroom only to wake up the following morning with the needle ground down etching a groove in a record when the automatic record changer failed to drop down the next record or shut the record player off. Seriously, automatic record changers were a huge innovation in the early 60s - the absolute shiznitz baby.
Old July 25th, 2022, 05:07 PM

The countless nights I fell to sleep in my bedroom only to wake up the following morning with the needle ground down etching a groove in a record when the automatic record changer failed to drop down the next record or shut the record player off. Seriously, automatic record changers were a huge innovation in the early 60s - the absolute shiznitz baby.
Both my (older ) sisters had phonographs very similar to this with a record changer, my very first was a small component system from a company called Automatic Radio (Mitsubishi Electronics )

Old July 25th, 2022, 05:10 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by solly
Both my (older ) sisters had phonographs very similar to this with a record changer, my very first was a small component system from a company called Automatic Radio (Mitsubishi Electronics )
Solly, I had one (at least, maybe a couple) identical to the one in your image - they were revolutionary for their time - can you imagine; and, that's exactly the style I referred to (above) when the automatic record changer failed to drop the next record or turn the player off after the last record.
Old July 25th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Banned

How do you not know those? I am the last of seven and I am fifty five (I wanted to spell it because you will never see it spelled out again). My oldest brother was a juke box (look it up) mechanic. My first 45 was Grand Funk Railroad. We're (again sorry for correct spelling) an American Band. Clear yellow. Back in the day nobody could live without a stack of those adapters. Almost always yellow. Thanks for the flashback.
Old July 25th, 2022, 06:39 PM

I had to go look, who needs one, lol

Old July 25th, 2022, 09:23 PM

All good here.
Old July 25th, 2022, 09:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Koda

All good here.
Sweet. Technics were spot on.

Funny thing being the last of six brothers... You touch our turntable we touch you. I listened to what they did. They graduated to Harman Kardon.

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 25th, 2022 at 09:54 PM.
Old July 25th, 2022, 09:51 PM

I didn’t even remember I had one of those 45 RPM adapters until I saw Koda’s post with the Technics turntables and went and looked at mine, and there was a yellow plastic adapter.

The story on this turntable is a coworker gave it to me in the early 90s. He had bought a CD player and said he didn’t need a turntable any more as it was old tech, so he gave it to me along with a stack of vinyl. Anyone have any thoughts on this model?

Old July 25th, 2022, 11:36 PM
H/o

I remember this stuff as well. Damn your making me feel old.
Old July 26th, 2022, 08:06 AM
Running On Empty

Technics turntables...coworker gave it to me in the early 90s. Anyone have any thoughts on this model?
Admittedly, I had to look it up. What's very interesting about this vintage Technics SL-L25 is it has linear tracking - which, I have never seen before on a turntable. I guess they go for ~$150 in good used working condition. I use Reverb with some regularity to buy/sell audio equipment.
https://reverb.com/item/52658845-tec...0-s-black-grey
Old July 26th, 2022, 08:34 AM

I like Reverb.

Turntable features get debated with some regularity on audio websites. The P Mount cartridge system, as opposed to normal, linear versus traditional arms, manual vs semi-auto vs auto turntables, etc. At this point in my life, I like fully manual, high feature turntables like those 1200s above. I did design Stereo Rack Version 1 to put them 5 feet off the ground so the needle is under my nose to see in dim light, and I do use the cueing lever.

I do have some accessories that are effectively tonearm lifters that I will install as it is bad to be under an enthusiastic woman when a record ends without some means to have it lift the tonearm.
Old July 26th, 2022, 08:54 AM
Running On Empty

I was once an audiophile freak in my younger years. What remains is a host of vintage/collector tape/vinyl. I have one very simple turntable - a BD-1600 GLi Pro w/ a DAK 2800-PC Pre-Amp Interface Mixer. Absolutely nothing professional/studio quality - it gets the job one.
Old July 26th, 2022, 11:07 AM

Well it took a lot of digging on the internet but I finally found it, this is the first home stereo system I bought .I had plenty cassettes to play on my Craig power booster in my car but nothing for in the house, I was still living at home so I needed something small for my room, it was from a company called Automatic Radio, they were a old company known for small radio's in the 30's and they made car radios,

they were not well known for this kind of system. It was not a high quality system but got the job done for my small room, I bought it at Polk Brothers.
Old July 26th, 2022, 12:12 PM

Hi,

I remember and still have 45 records but actually thought of toy guns when I saw the image as similar discs.

Regards,
Jim
Old July 29th, 2022, 04:23 AM

I saw these for sale at my local video store. They had 30 or 40 for $.99 each. What a buy! If your classic Olds still has an 8 track player they are still out there!

Old July 29th, 2022, 04:41 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Or one may want to consider this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25561360633...EAAOSw4rNiwsnj
Old July 29th, 2022, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I saw these for sale at my local video store. They had 30 or 40 for $.99 each. What a buy! If your classic Olds still has an 8 track player they are still out there! you still have a video store !! when you said they are still out there I wondered if you meant the 8 track or the video store !!!!

Old July 30th, 2022, 02:33 AM
H/o

Originally Posted by Olds64
I saw these for sale at my local video store. They had 30 or 40 for $.99 each. What a buy! If your classic Olds still has an 8 track player they are still out there!

The 8 tracks were the worst because they would change tracks right in the middle of a song.
Old July 30th, 2022, 05:48 AM

and no rewind
Old July 30th, 2022, 07:41 AM

Old sprinklers

Old July 30th, 2022, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by H/o
The 8 tracks were the worst because they would change tracks right in the middle of a song.
The one in my 70 Supreme would change tracks when I hit a bump in the road. That is one main reason why I tossed it back in 1980. I can to this day remember the loud, solid THUMP when it hit the bottom of the trash can. Put gauges in the 8 track housing and never missed it.
Old July 30th, 2022, 12:37 PM

The one in my 70 Supreme would change tracks when I hit a bump in the road. That is one main reason why I tossed it back in 1980. I can to this day remember the loud, solid THUMP when it hit the bottom of the trash can. Put gauges in the 8 track housing and never missed it.
Mine would switch tracks in the middle of IN-A-GOD-A-DA-VIDA unforgivable !!!!!!
Old August 1st, 2022, 04:36 AM

Solly, I meant that used 8 tracks are still able to be found.

There's a regional chain of video stores in the midwest, Vintage Stock.

https://vintagestock.com/

They carry used & new DVDs, BluRays, records, music, etc. Not quite what a Blockbuster was, but similar. I do think you can rent the movies at Vintage Stock if you want to.

Quick Reply: Remember these ?