The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Sometimes my gray hair is beneficial!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2021, 06:59 AM

Sometimes my gray hair is beneficial!!!

My youngest stepdaughter weighs maybe 90 pounds. She normally orders her meals from the kids menu, that’s usually the right amount of food for her. Occasionally, servers make a stink about her ordering from the kids menu because she isn’t 10 or under. My argument, who cares the age?! If the meal cost “X” amount, why does the age of the consumer matter?!

My wife and stepdaughter went for breakfast this morning, my stepdaughter wanted something off the senior menu. Once again, the server made a issue that senior meals are for 55 or older. So I said fine, I’ll have what she order, she can order what I wanted. Problem solved.

I’ll be 49 next month, I’m not sure if I won this particular battle. The server didn’t question my age at all!! Sigh.
Old July 31st, 2021, 07:01 AM

I hope you tipped accordingly.
Old July 31st, 2021, 07:38 AM
Oldsdruid

I started going gray in my 30s. By the time I was 45 there was enough that I often got senior discount without having to ask for it.

Went in a Wendy's late one afternoon and the teenage girl rang up the discount. My cousin's middle son was working there and says "what are you doing?" "Giving him senior discount." Stephen the punk says "lemme tell you something, he ain't nowhere close to 55!" Shaddap boy, you're busting up my game...

He goes home and tells his mama about my senior discount scam I had going. So natcherly she calls to rib me about it. I said Dell, if you'd leave that box of Miss Clairol on the shelf you'd get away with it too! She told me to do anatomically impossible things to myself...😦

It made my mama mad for anyone to suggest she was a senior citizen- until she figured out it came with a discount! When I'd take her to town to do her little bit of business, she always wanted to stop at Mickey D. She'd march up to the counter "senior coffee please!".

Yeah, I'll take a senior discount in a second!🙂 Bad thing is, at 3 months shy of 65, I now qualify for it!

Last edited by rocketraider; July 31st, 2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old July 31st, 2021, 10:58 AM
'70 4-Speed W Machine

Speaking of grey hair. Has anyone seen the 29-year old Olympian participating in Track and Field in Tokyo this year with the premature grey hair? I know there are all colors for sure, but the premature grey sticks out above all the rest. He's pretty darn fast too, came in second in the heat I saw him participate in.
Old July 31st, 2021, 12:20 PM

We were traveling last year and had to get a room for the night I usually send my wife in to register. Now I admit to being a very lucky man I will be 68 in Feb. my wife will be 67 in April and she could easily pass for a woman in very early 40's ( my children marvel at her youthful appearance) so when the desk clerk asked her if she wanted the senior discount she was extremely offended !! I asked her if the clerk asked before or after she provided her driver license for I.D. she said after, I said there you go dear its only because she saw your age in your I.D.
She may have been offended but besides being youthful in appearance she is also very frugal and gladly accepted the senior discount !!!!!
Funny thing now that I am easily past the senior discount parameters I rarely use it !! I forget about it all the time.

Last edited by solly; July 31st, 2021 at 12:24 PM.
Old July 31st, 2021, 03:12 PM

I may be repeating myself, my wife LOVES to tell this story. 🙄

About a year ago, I get a call from a friend. He needs his transmission repaired for his race car in time for the following weekend. I make arrangements to meet him about 50 miles away (the halfway point between our towns). I leave after work on a Monday, i arrive with about 20 minutes to kill. I decided to get something to eat, I go to Dairy Queen.

Fast forward to Thursday. I have the transmission fixed, I once again leave work to deliver the trans. Once again, I have about 20 minutes to spare, once again I go to the same Dairy Queen, and order the exact same thing. Except this time, the meal is 4 bucks more. I’m a little surprised, but didn’t make a big deal about it.

Once I got home, I compared receipts. The first time I got my dinner, the clerk gave me the senior citizen discount.

As I mentioned, my wife loves to share this story. She thinks it’s hilarious. It doesn’t help that she is a few years younger than me, and looks even younger than she is.

Occasionally, people ask if I’m the original owner of my Olds. That really chaps my ***, my Olds is older than I am!!!
Old July 31st, 2021, 10:54 PM
Banned

Ha ha ha. People used to ask me all the time if It bought my 442 new. Um do the math. 442 was sold in 1970. I was born in 67. Yup I bought it new ..🙄🤔😂🤣

I traded my wagon and paper bike and rubber bands and my wooden skateboard with clay wheels. It was such a good deal. In kindergarten I was Killin it!!

Last edited by no1oldsfan; July 31st, 2021 at 10:56 PM.
Old August 1st, 2021, 08:55 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by solly
Funny thing now that I am easily past the senior discount parameters I rarely use it !! I forget about it all the time.
That's what they're gambling on! That geezers will forget they can get a senior discount, and they make mo' money!

It's elder abuse, I say!! 👴👵
Old August 2nd, 2021, 12:00 PM

My gray hair gets me out of tickets from young cops ( slow down, stop for stop signs sir ) Have a nice day~
Old August 2nd, 2021, 06:36 PM

I’ve never been offended by folks eating from the kid’s menu nor the senior’s menu. I have found it offensive when folks ask for a military or police discount that are not (and never been) public servants.