The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Snow comes to TX!

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Talking Snow comes to TX!

Well, it is our turn to be blanketed in white stuff. (Final pictures added in page 2!)
You guys in the NE were supposed to send it to Vancouver!

They were calling for light rain mixed with snow and "little or no snow accumulation" until after noon today. At 445am, I got up and looked outside - nothing. Good...
At 6am when i was getting ready to leave, looked outside and everything was covered with about 2" of wet snow.
Decided to come to work anyway, as we have meetings. Car was completely covered - luckily it came off with some sweeps of my hand. The roads and walks are soggy and slushy. Train was on time at least.
Here is what fell in just a couple hours:

II did not have time to find and get out my snow boots and winter socks. Sneakers suck in the slush - my feet were soaked when I got to work...
They expect us to get another 4" throughout the day. Tonight it is supposed to freeze - time to work from home.
This is the slushy, wet, make-a-snowman type snow. When I get home maybe I will make a humongous snowball, push it into my neighbor's yard, and immobilize it- I think they would like that.

Hey - Snowball fight!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0691.jpg (76.1 KB, 123 views)

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; February 14th, 2010 at 03:03 PM. Reason: add last pictures
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Cutlass Lover

Nothing like a good snow ball fight! You enjoy it, Rob!
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Yup, snow comes to Granbury.... Possibly 3-5 inches!!! OOOOOOOoooooh NOOOoooo- So much for global warming!!!
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Registered

Wow, you're inundated, may have to call Col. Preston of the Yukon to come down on his dogsled to help.
Do you have enough food and vaccine to hold out until he gets there?
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Cutlass Lover

You crack me up!!! I'm sure everyone made a mad dash to the grocery store!!!
Old February 11th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Do you have enough food and vaccine to hold out until he gets there?
Not likely. I need to go raid the supermarket on the way home, rent a dozen movies, fill the gas tank (only 3/4 full), buy / steal a cord of firewood, find a power generator, and fill the bathtub with drinking water.
The snow may last two days and it will be icy tomorrow AM.

Us Dallasites might not make it through this one alive...
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM

We call that a light dusting!
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yeah... what he said!!
Old February 11th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Lawton, OK is at the far northern edge of the snowfall. We are going to be about an inch. Right now it is only accumluating on the grass.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Yup, we had a good amount here in Lewisville. No school, even. 4-5" more on the way. I cleaned the car off before going out to get my lady friend. Surprisingly, although the roads were slushy, I encountered no ice.

--Ryan
Attached Images
PIC-0282.jpg (40.4 KB, 12 views)
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM

No school in Lewisville?? Wow... I have not heard of any closings around here.

Yes, the roads were very drivable. Of course all the slush created minor flooding on some streets.
My old Ford had no issue at all with it. It looked like a snowcone like your T-bird, except the side was covered too as it faced the wind. it felt funny driving in it. It comes down and towards you and flys right over the windshield! I am not used to this!
I bet the caddy is hidden in the driveway by now. Luckily the Ford is currently in covered parking now... Hopefully the trains are still running. Any ice on the overhead wiring and the system stalls.
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Registered Luser

2012 is closer than you think.....
Old February 11th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Cutlass Lover

It's really scary at night... when it's coming right at you and you can't tell where the road is - everything is just white. I told Nicole, don't turn on the high beams or you really can't see anything but snow!!
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM

Still coming down in Watauga. We are at approx 6 to 7 inches. My little one loves it as she now gets to go outside and play in the snow.

The bad part is we have been with out power since 8:15 this morning. Nothing new for us as it seems like everytime we have an out of the ordinary weather event we loose our power. This is the 3rd time this year with the last time lasting 4 days. That cost me almost $400.00 to replace all food in the refrigerator and freezer.
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:10 PM
car guy

Looks like we are going to set a record today Mr. Gore. Over 5-6" and counting as of now.

sheetmetal072.jpg

sheetmetal071.jpg
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Talking

Maine has missed the last few storms!
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:05 PM

Did someone say grass have not seen any of that for about 3 months.May see it again in april!
Old February 11th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ent72olds
2012 is closer than you think.....

What about the last ten "end of the worlds" I've been through?
Every single time I give away everything I own and then go wait for the big spaceship to come and nothing ever happens??

Get a hundred credit cards and run them up to the max Erik.
Do like Wimpy, "If you let me have a hamburger today I'll gladly pay you in 2013".
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by FTW65W29
The bad part is we have been with out power since 8:15 this morning. Nothing new for us as it seems like everytime we have an out of the ordinary weather event we loose our power. This is the 3rd time this year with the last time lasting 4 days. That cost me almost $400.00 to replace all food in the refrigerator and freezer.
That sux for sure - hope you guys are keeping warm somehow.
I only lose power during warm sunny days...
At least this time you can just move all the freezer food outside into nature's ice box. Should stay cold there.
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:15 PM

Well, it hovered around the freezing mark all day, so much of the snow melted as it fell. If it did not, we might have ended up with a foot of it.
There was about 4" on the ground when I got off work. Thankfully the roads were drivable. My old car got to drive through another 'blizzard'!

When I got home, my yard was a winter wonderland!

It reminded me of valentines day 2005, when 4" of snow fell.

As you can see, it is still coming down hard. The flakes were so big and wet, you could practically hear them hit with a 'whump'... It was falling off of everything in small clumps.

Pond is covered...

In fact this winter has been so wet that moss is taking over the patio!

No trudging to the workshop today...

NOW this much snow here is strange. However, when i got home, there was something else that was VERY STRANGE!
Up in the sky - on the ground - all around........ My neighbor even called me to inquire about it. What was it????
Attached Images
IMG_0704.jpg (34.6 KB, 120 views)
IMG_0735.jpg (99.5 KB, 119 views)
IMG_0764.jpg (87.6 KB, 119 views)
IMG_0773.jpg (99.0 KB, 115 views)
IMG_0786.jpg (74.3 KB, 114 views)
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Cutlass Lover

....Every single time I give away everything I own and then go wait for the big spaceship to come and nothing ever happens??

They've probably read some of our "Flying monkey, Benny Hill video, Captain Kangaroo hi-jacking the Prettiest One, You'll love my nuts" threads, and figured there isn't any intelligent life here!!! Oh well.... their loss!! LOL!!
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:22 PM

Cool! it was supposed to snow here in Tucson but never happened...just up in the mountains I'll get my fair share of the white stuff when I move back to New England! haha
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joeypete
I'll get my fair share of the white stuff when I move back to New England! haha
With all that they are getting up there, some of it may still be around by time you get there!
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Cutlass Lover

Nice pics Rob! I like your yard! Yep... we know all about the big wet flakes! LOL!! I remember that big Valentines Day storm here.... we were buried! I rode to work with Larry that day. No way I was driving in it! Piles of snow everywhere from the plows... burrrr... gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. The florist did make it to work with the flowers Larry got me, though!! That was an ugly storm...
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Joeypete
Cool! it was supposed to snow here in Tucson but never happened...just up in the mountains I'll get my fair share of the white stuff when I move back to New England! haha

Snow in Tucson?? Say it isn't so! I love Tucson... I'll change places with you!! I loved the botanical gardens in Tucson. Could have spent the whole day there! Someday I'll live out there somewhere!!!
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
It's really scary at night... when it's coming right at you and you can't tell where the road is - everything is just white. I told Nicole, don't turn on the high beams or you really can't see anything but snow!!
Up here in the Frozen North we have day time running lights which is the power goes through a resistor to make the headlights dimmer...sooo when it is snowing harder you shut off your headlights (with your park lights on) and you can see better...similar idea to stopping the car and shutting off the lights and getting out and look around and you can see much farther than with the lights on...if that makes sense to you
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:48 AM

so, how's this whole global warming thing working out for y'all?
Old February 12th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Blk71SX
so, how's this whole global warming thing working out for y'all?
Well if you live in parts of canada and the North West Territories you would be enjoying above average temperatures maybe it's just up to you guys down there to make up the difference
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:46 AM

Talking Record Dallas snowfall!

Well, this one is for the record book they say - 12.5" of snow within 24 hours. It snowed nonstop from 4am 2-11 to 4am 2-12.

I have about 7" in my yard, only because a lot melted as it was not too cold out.
I was snowed in - literally!

Yard was even fuller. I am wondering how the yaupon hollies will recover after being bent to the ground....

I have to say it IS very beautiful though. More pics to come!
Attached Images
IMG_0914.jpg (74.8 KB, 95 views)
IMG_0910.jpg (83.5 KB, 96 views)
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:57 AM

This has to be gone before I get to Dallas on Sunday, Please remove it for me Rob
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:01 AM

He is going to need a bigger shovel.
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Hmmmmmm sidepipes on a four door. Even rarer than our little snow storm.
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Cutlass Lover

Wow Rob! That's a lot of snow for y'all!!! Your shrubs and things should be ok - the snow acts like an insulator, as long as branches don't break from the weight. We had a snow here in April a few years back - I don't have any pics on my laptop to show ya, but the tulips were bent clear to the ground, daffodils, hyacinths, bleeding hearts.... everything was out in full bloom... I was so upset! But everything sprang back up when it melted. Mother nature has a way of taking care of things, I guess. The ones that broke, I just picked and brought in the house and enjoyed them! I'll have to look for that disk and load the pics on here to show ya. It was sad!!
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:43 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Hmmmmmm sidepipes on a four door. Even rarer than our little snow storm.
I thought they were a nice touch when I picked up that car. It also came with a 455 sitting on a stand. It was a real hot rod for someone. I've got some 14 x 9 reverse Cragars mounted on N50 Protracs sitting behind the shed. Now if I could find some air shocks and some of those yellow Lakewood traction bars that look like ladder bars hanging down I could have one sweet ride.
Old February 12th, 2010, 08:56 AM

[quote=Lady72nRob71;148537]Well, this one is for the record book they say - 12.5" of snow within 24 hours. It snowed nonstop from 4am 2-11 to 4am 2-12.

Welcome to the club! You get to be cold and miserable, just like your northern freinds
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
This has to be gone before I get to Dallas on Sunday, Please remove it for me Rob
I think you will still see some snow but the roads are fine. I still have 3" in the yard...

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
He is going to need a bigger shovel.
Today I shoveled the snow away from the caddy so we can get it out and do our holiday drive. (Roads to wet for taking th Olds).
It took about 15 shovels full and I was tired after that. That wet stuff is heavy! I feel the pain of you guys up north...
When i was out my neighbor started a snowball fight, so that was fun...
I got him, through the trees, at that!
Old February 13th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Rob, you did a great job with the pictures. You mentioned shoveling the snow. Do you actually have a snow shovel? I read where this is an all time record snow fall for Dallas. I also heard there was snow in 49 states with Hawaii being the exception. How is the global warming working for you Al Gore?
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Rob, you did a great job with the pictures. You mentioned shoveling the snow. Do you actually have a snow shovel? I read where this is an all time record snow fall for Dallas. I also heard there was snow in 49 states with Hawaii being the exception. How is the global warming working for you Al Gore?
Many thanks - I have not had time to post some more good pictures i got.
I have a flat shovel for scraping dirt - not even sure where I got it... This was the first time it even saw snow.
I had to shovel the snor banks way fromthe red car so we can get it out and I don't have to step in it. That was all the shovelling I was gonna do.
The guy across the street was from up north and they were shoveling their sidewalks. They asked my neighbors if they were gonna do theirs.
My answer would be NO!
"This is Texas - we don't snow shovel here!"
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Eating yellow snow???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOu-8MOtbU
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I had to shovel the snor banks way fromthe red car so we can get it out and I don't have to step in it. That was all the shovelling I was gonna do.
The guy across the street was from up north and they were shoveling their sidewalks. They asked my neighbors if they were gonna do theirs.
My answer would be NO!
"This is Texas - we don't snow shovel here!"
We don't shovel either. Sidewalks at most. If its on the road we just drive on it. A few years ago I made the mistake of shovel the snow off the driveway. We had 4 inchs of ice under 6 inchs of snow. I only did the end close to the road, but it was enough that I couldn't get the car out of the drive way.

Quick Reply: Snow comes to TX!