The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

shameless tv / movie promos

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2013, 10:14 AM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

shameless tv / movie promos

My wife and I don't watch network television. We don't even have cable. There are a few select shows we watch via download and unwind in the evenings viewing an uninterrupted 45 minute program sans idiotic commercials.
What is starting to creep in is the programs being sponsored by car manufacturers with Toyota being the worst. They are tending to feature new models in all their 'glory' with panoramic shots of the main characters rolling up in their latest shapeless turds, focussing on the the logo.
If that isn't bad enough they actually work in some dialogue referencing some new useless gadget the car features:

" No wonder your phone is dead - you aren't charging it."
" I am actually. It's laying on the new built in charging pad."

These are a few of the shows that we watch that are the worst offenders:

Royal Pains - 45 minute Toyota commercial
Warehouse 13 - Prius commercial
White Collar - 45 minute Ford Taurus commercial

To crown all of this, we go out to the movies fairly regularly. I never liked commercials being shown on the big screen but I tolerate it. Then the trailers for upcoming films start, which for movie buffs is half the fun of going to the movies. Then, right between trailers for Tom Cruise's Oblivion and Matt Damon's Elysium is a flippin 3 minute Toyota ad!! Every time. It's really starting to get on my nerves.

Rant over, Solo out.
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:20 AM

Rant Noted.... I here you..... X2
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Administrator

X3, however looking on the other side of the fence. Nothing in this world is free, someone must pay. The programming you watch finds it's way to you through a sponsor, a Toyota commercial. It's business my friend.
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:30 PM

Got to get through to the masses somehow.
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:02 PM

Burn Notice is notorious for car placement/ads, calling out the name of the car in the dialogue of the actors. More recently, back to back ads from the same advertiser...same ad, how annoying, and yes I know it pays for programming, but they have gone overboard, and if I'm hitting the remote to avoid it, then their ad is failing.
Old August 31st, 2013, 02:49 PM

It seems as if more regular broadcasting shows are doing this, with promos right in the show. (Ever watch Food Network or Bravo?) Us old guys remember when this was the norm in the 50s, 60s. (more the 50s I think)
It also happened with the naming of stadiums and arenas. I am surprised governments are not taking money and renaming colleges and high schools or museums.
How about the Smithsonian, brought to you by Disney.
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:12 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

Aren't some of the new Ford commercials combining bits of shows/movies into them ?.

Being I take pride in being somewhat of an anti-sheeple on most things ...

I'm kind of in the dark on whether or not they are using bits from stuff I could care less about seeing/watching.
Old August 31st, 2013, 03:36 PM

Every college football Bowl game has the curse.
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Burn Notice is notorious for car placement/ads, calling out the name of the car in the dialogue of the actors. More recently, back to back ads from the same advertiser...same ad, how annoying, and yes I know it pays for programming, but they have gone overboard, and if I'm hitting the remote to avoid it, then their ad is failing.
I forgot that one - love the show but for a while there it was a long Hyundai promo for Fiona's 300hp coupe. We all know that someone has to pay for the show but they should keep it out of the content of the program, yes?
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM

opposite end of the scale, Sci-Fi channel blacks out manufacturer emblems on cars in a lot of their cheesey movies.
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Did anybody else notice that the biggest corporations don't have commercials anymore they're hidden in the programs even in other commercials.When was the last time you saw a Harley-Davidson commercial? When was the last time you heard it mentioned in other media.Coca cola?Used to be a Coke commercial on every break.When I was in high school"70's"One of my teachers said the best commercial is the one you don't see.
railguy
Old September 10th, 2013, 12:18 AM

The Transformers movies are all 90 minute ads for GM. Plus they are horrible movies... unless you happen to be 12 years old.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
The Transformers movies are all 90 minute ads for GM. Plus they are horrible movies... unless you happen to be 12 years old.
Zackly.