The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Seriously Thinking About Running a Tow Truck business

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2013, 01:17 PM

Seriously Thinking About Running a Tow Truck business

I feel like I知 at the point to where I need a change of direction in life. I知 currently employed at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago and have been for the last 17 years. It is THE BEST job I have had in my life!!! I知 starting to notice change in our department that will have some effect on me in the future. I知 sure some of you have trained a new employee and eventually down the line that person becomes your boss. Well, that is the direction I feel that our department is heading. I know that I can稚 get t rich working here so I would like to venture out on my own. I致e been involved with cars my entire life and I have always wanted to own and operate my own Tow Trucking Company for years. I知 currently about to do an internship with a local towing yard to learn the business. Are there any tow truck owners/ drivers out there on this forum?? I would like to hear about your experiences with the business before I take a big leap into the unknown.
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:46 PM

You should do it. I've also considered starting a small business. I don't know anything about the towing business but I'm sure it has potential. Good luck.
Old July 21st, 2013, 02:03 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My grandfather did it in the '40s and '50s.

If the business in Chicago is anything like the business in New York, you should be good with a baseball bat before you start, as that is the preferred decision-making tool when two tow trucks arrive on the scene at the same time.

- Eric
Old July 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM

If I ran such a business it would be for owner-requested tows only, for my own safety and sanity.
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:08 PM

If I ran such a business it would be for owner-requested tows only, for my own safety and sanity.
That's a good point Rob.

I needed a tow in my Olds about a year ago (the HEI module died) and I called my insurance company to arrange it. When the service rep said I would have to wait 2+ hours I told him "NO WAY!" The service rep pulled some strings and a tow truck arrived in about 30 minutes. I get a call 2 hours later from another tow company and he says he's out at the location where I broke down tyring to find me. I told him I had already been towed and the car was at home in my garage.

I felt sorry for the guy. You would think the insurance company would have cancelled the first tow company they contacted.
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:13 PM

Consider a light service business (jumps, lock outs and tire changes) first and then work up to a tow truck. I have several friends who work for AAA and there is usually more profit in the light service vs. Towing.
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Totally correct! I would like to do consent towing only. I want to really help people.Not f*&k them around. That's the real reason I would like to jump into this business.
Originally Posted by 501Paratrooper
Consider a light service business (jumps, lock outs and tire changes) first and then work up to a tow truck. I have several friends who work for AAA and there is usually more profit in the light service vs. Towing.
Hmmmm. This is a pretty good idea. I can virtually do this right now.
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:31 PM

Watch an episode of Lizard Lick Towing and get back to us!
Old July 21st, 2013, 05:14 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

You can also get a lot of buisness if you get on the idot roster for towing companies . I know certain areas call certain tow companies based on location in relation to the interstate. When I crashed my cutlass a local mom n pop shop tow truck came by to scoop me up in minutes after the trooper got on the scene.
Old July 21st, 2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by plee3 64Olds
I would like to do consent towing only. I want to really help people.Not f*&k them around.
Let's be honest, though. Isn't this where the big money is? I imagine most of these people deserve to be f*&ked, anyway, as they've parked somewhere illegally, haven't they? Why are we feeling sorry for them?

Having said this, though, I've always wondered why any tow company would want to be the one that tows your car when you've parked it somewhere you shouldn't. Right or wrong, you spend all your time dealing with people who are very irate. I assume the tow companies take on the business because the towing fee is high enough to hurt so as to deter the perpetrator from doing it again, while at the same time (I'm guessing) the tow company gets to keep most or all of that high fee. Those fees can be hundreds of dollars per tow. That's hard to pass up.

I realize that a service like this IS needed as we can't have people parking in front of fire hydrants, illegally in private spaces, etc., so these tow companies provide a necessary service. But as I said, I can't imagine that providing it is very pleasant way to spend one's day.
Old July 21st, 2013, 06:16 PM

I would go with owner-requested tows only... I know a guy that does this and he tells me his rollback never gets a chance to cool down....
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:03 PM

A few things to consider. are you the sole provider, do you have a family, what about health care, how much start up capital do you have, what are your monthly overhead costs going to be, how much insurance will you be required to carry to protect yourself and your personal assets, who will handle bookkeeping and filing quarterly tax returns (yep you have to pre pay your fed and maybe state taxes in advance), Think of these and about 2 dozen more. Hope you dont want any time off for the near future. Good luck.
Final thought, that weekly paycheck is no longer a sure thing. Oh, and all the maintenance and repair costs that never end. One thing for sure, it dosnt end 24/7/365
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:18 PM

Woodie has a good point; however, there are many things you wouldn't have to deal with if you were a small business owner.

You wouldn't have to deal with:
a lousy boss
corporate America BS
being denied a raise or pay you want
having to unexpectedley work overtime
your work being unappreciated

The list goes on and on. The worst thing that could happen is your business fails. So what, big deal? It will fail from the start if you never try.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:38 PM

Lousy boss? better treat your clients like they were your boss, because they can be much more demanding.
Corporate America? Bet most all your suppliers and or vendors will be part of corporate America, as well as you on a smaller scale.
Being denied a raise or pay? Hope you get your accounts receivable in time to pay the bills, hope no checks get returned, hope no cc are disputed.
Having to work unexpected or overtime? Well that one dosen't ever need debated, if you ain't willing / able to put the extra time in..forget about it.
Work being unappreciated? Tis not anyone more critical or demanding than the customer/end user.
But, hell, it's only your time and money and life.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:30 PM

A friend of mine ran a towing business for a while. He had some regulars but the hours got to him. He would get too many late night calls.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 455man
A friend of mine ran a towing business for a while. He had some regulars but the hours got to him. He would get too many late night calls.
But vehicles ALWAYS seem to die:
Before dawn
After 5pm, usually after dark
Never close to home
on weekends
on holidays
in the boondocks
or with a combination of above.

The latter is one that has gotten me the two time in my life I called a tow truck. Both times electronic ignition failed, different vehicles.
I had to wait for an hour but they got me home. I was thankful they did what they did for sure, especially the 80 mile tow that was on a Friday night in the boondocks.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:56 PM
Justin

My work deals with a local tow company that the owner / operator worked for the dealer ship before he started the company up . He gives the dealer ship a good rate for each tow and in return the dealer ship passes on free towing with 200.00 or more spent .
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by plee3 64Olds
I feel like I’m at the point to where I need a change of direction in life. I’m currently employed at the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago and have been for the last 17 years. It is THE BEST job I have had in my life!!! Are there any tow truck owners/ drivers out there on this forum?? I would like to hear about your experiences with the business before I take a big leap into the unknown.
First let me say that is my favorite museum anywhere, I imagine working there is really cool. Secondly I was tow truck driver for about 5 years and worked for the company doing other jobs for 3 years. I was strictly a repo man. I loved it best job I ever had as far as fun and exciting. I worked as a private contractor. I still own my tow truck. Insurance is a huge expense and it is dangerous, not just repo-ing but any towing. People aren't looking for you when you're trying to hook up a break down on the side of the road, mix in drunk drivers and distracted drivers messing with the phone, bad weather and the usual jackasses, you're taking your life in your hands every time you go out. If I was going to tow again, I'd do reposession work only, no break downs. It was getting paid to steal cars, like I said fun and exciting, at least to me. Boring when you're not finding them and exciting when you have two accounts at the same house.(I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when that husband and wife went out side in the morning) I made good money but it was hard work. Good luck, whatever you decide.