The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

realoldspower has finished it seems

Old May 19th, 2019, 08:29 AM

realoldspower has finished it seems

Realoldspower.com, the barely managed, formerly popular, casual rowdy Olds racer site, seems to be down for good. They went to tapatalk, which most members ignored registering on, and it seems like the database is down again, anyway.

Maybe it will fight the action of the toilet drain and float back up like a stubborn doo doo, but it may be flushed for good this time.
Old May 19th, 2019, 09:00 AM
Old School Olds

Seems to be working for me.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/real...storation-f11/
Old May 19th, 2019, 09:02 AM
Old School Olds

It does seem that you have to have that tap-talk thing though.
Old May 19th, 2019, 10:04 AM

Ah hah. Maybe they finally enforced that.
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:39 PM
"me somebody" site member

Hopefully it doesn’t die. Not that I care about ROP per se, but if it goes completely, I can think of at least one worthless jerk over there who may try joining this site again out of sheer boredom. He’s been banned here more than once, last time I can recall he used his deceased girlfriend’s name as a handle to sneak back in (classy) and I heard he was bragging over there recently that he could re-join this site any time he wants to.

so like I said, long live ROP.
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Hopefully it doesn’t die. Not that I care about ROP per se, but if it goes completely, I can think of at least one worthless jerk over there who may try joining this site again out of sheer boredom. He’s been banned here more than once, last time I can recall he used his deceased girlfriend’s name as a handle to sneak back in (classy) and I heard he was bragging over there recently that he could re-join this site any time he wants to.

so like I said, long live ROP.

Let me guess,Does he polish stuff?
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:54 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, I bet that is him. What a pisshead.
Old May 19th, 2019, 04:05 PM

Wow I had just checked out ROP for the first time in a loooong time before my last post. Mostly out of morbid curiosity. Same ‘ol same ‘ol. But boy Tapatalk does suck. I left one forum I’d been on for 15 years (about sci-fy props) after they migrated to that platform.
Old May 20th, 2019, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Let me guess,Does he polish stuff?
He might polish....****.
Old May 20th, 2019, 01:12 PM

I only go to ROP to post about politics.....lol

Andy has a FB group now. He spends a lot more time on that and it's surprisingly tame (you kind of have to be on FB). He doesn't really bother me. I bought a great set of polished valve covers at a good price from him.
Old May 20th, 2019, 07:29 PM

I quit going to ROP after the tapatalk migration. I liked the folks there and the wealth of info, but I just couldn't tolerate tapatalk.
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I quit going to ROP after the tapatalk migration. I liked the folks there and the wealth of info, but I just couldn't tolerate tapatalk.
Same here. I visited once or twice after the change, then deleted the link.
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:23 PM

A wealth of info? I guess it depends on what kind of info you're interested in. It is an entertaining site, but not my kind of entertainment. It's a great site for troll lovers, trolls, instigators, whatever. But, hey...to each his own.
Old May 21st, 2019, 04:45 AM

I haven't been on ROP for years. Hopefully it doesn't die completely.
Old May 21st, 2019, 05:15 AM

A high point was the nice butt thread. All these old guys would put girls in thongs, I had to go find bare-assed women to move the standard correctly.
Old May 21st, 2019, 05:47 AM
delete

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I only go to ROP to post about politics.....lol

Andy has a FB group now. He spends a lot more time on that and it's surprisingly tame (you kind of have to be on FB). He doesn't really bother me. I bought a great set of polished valve covers at a good price from him.
Same. Not a bad guy just overly opinionated.

Re the knowledge over there, on the performance build side, there were some guys that knew a lot but the site as a whole definitely was left to die on the vine
Old May 21st, 2019, 06:38 AM

You just have to know how to take Andy. LOL I'm still a member there but don't post much at all anymore.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
You just have to know how to take (him).
Says the guy whose avatar equates the Confederate flag and all it represents with fighting terrorism.

Here's how I "take" those who intentionally try to inflame others these days...I do my best to ignore them. Sometimes I fail.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Says the guy whose avatar equates the Confederate flag and all it represents with fighting terrorism.

Here's how I "take" those who intentionally try to inflame others these days...I do my best to ignore them. Sometimes I fail.
And some people have no sense of humor. It's a Southern thing and I;m sure you wouldn't understand.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
It's a Southern thing and I;m sure you wouldn't understand.
That was my thought, too. I don't know of anyone that I grew up with in the South thinking the flag represents what folks in the north think it does.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:00 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Here is my take on the Confederate Flag. I grew up in Louisiana and my high school mascot was Johnny Reb and the school fight song was Dixie. I graduated in 1964. The band color guards carried the American Flag and the Confederate Flag. We never considered the flag to be racist but a thing of southern pride. Unfortunately there are groups who have made the Confederate Flag into a symbol of racism. Interesting my alma mater still has the Rebel as the school mascot and still plays Dixie when the football team scores. There are no Confederate Flags anywhere on the school. I can remember when the local TV station signed off at night they played Dixie. As a true southerner I used to get goosebumps when Dixie was played. I don't own a Confederate Flag since I would be labeled a racist by society which I am not. I will now step down from my soapbox.

Last edited by redoldsman; May 22nd, 2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 04:01 PM

I used to really like ROP, there were several very knowledgeable people that seem to be gone now.... I haven't seen a topic worth reading or commenting on in the past year.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 05:10 PM

Well said, redoldsman. That is exactly the sentiment of everyone that I knew growing up.
Old May 22nd, 2019, 06:24 PM
72 Olds CS

yeah im a yankee but thats what i understood it to mean as well, but back then boys were boys and girls....well they were girls !!!
Old May 23rd, 2019, 03:09 AM

Redoldsman,

There are certain groups [like the KKK] that have used the cross a symbol of racism. Removing the Confederate flag [and statues] should be a non issue, Getting rid of them won't feed or educate a single soul.

But they're so easy to attack,so the REAL issues never come into focus
Old May 23rd, 2019, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
That was my thought, too. I don't know of anyone that I grew up with in the South thinking the flag represents what folks in the north think it does.
I shared these thoughts a few years ago when the Confederate flag and Dukes of Hazzard crap started.

Where red will it end? Will we outlaw Confederate blue from crayon boxes?! Be sure to eliminate gun metal blue!! Like it or not, the Confederate flag and the Civil War is part of our history. Just like the Holocaust, race riots, and all of the other crap schools are trying to hide. It’s part of who we are, and where we came from.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:11 AM

Yeah, I don't think I'm doing the tapatalk thing, even if the forum still works.

As for the rebel flag, my surname is Lee, and my great great grandfather was a Union captain, and his dad Henry, my 3-great granddad, was a cousin of a Confederate general named Lee. Apparently Henry left Virginia before the war sometime and settled in Vigo county Indiana, where we still are. Point being, it's relatives on both sides for most people.

The "rebel flag", correctly called the Southern Cross, is a beautiful flag. The rectangular version, mass printed on vinyl, used by people everywhere, was the flag of Forrest's Army of the Tennessee, with the blue being navy, and the Confederate Navy jack, with the blue being lighter. Square versions were used as the flags of various Armies, notably the Army of Northern Virginia. The Confederacy was literally a confederacy, and was totally unlike the Federalized USA these days, and states did their own thing. There were four Confederate national flags, the Bonnie Blue flag (one star on a blue flag) which was not used much, the First Confederate National Flag ("Stars and Bars") which was in the layout of the US flag, but two red stripes, one white stripe, and 7 white stars on the blue field. It was too similar to the US flag for battle ID, and represented that the Confederacy viewed themselves as the true successor to the USA.

The second Confederate national flag, the Stainless Banner, was a square southern cross in the top left corner of a white flag for the death of Stonewall Jackson. It looked all white when no wind, so a red stripe was added down the free end to fix that perception, and was the Third, and last, National Confederate Flag.

I had a nice cloth rebel flag get vandalized at my scout camp due to hateful people.

I think certain people push hard for that flag to be vilified to perpetuate their status as victims so they can get more preferential treatment. I certainly won't display one, because I don't want to incite violence I would either have to be hurt by, or be punished for using self defense against by a social justice jury. The ONLY place I would feel comfortable doing that would be if I made a replica of the Dukes' General Lee, and even then I would think it would get keyed by hateful people.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:03 AM

You can crush all of the General Lee cars,dynamite Stone Mountain level,remove every statue related to the Civil War,burn all Confederate flags and rename the entire interstate system for Martin Luther King and they wouldn't be satisfied,never. Chris McNair just passed away last week. He was a black gentleman who's daughter was killed in the 16th St. church bombing here in B'ham back then. My wife worked with Chris and I had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions. If there was ever a black man who had a reason to hate whites,he was him but he wasn't that way @ all. He was a gracious man who treated everybody with respect no matter color. I have been all over this country and if you think for one second that the South has a monopoly on racism,think again.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; May 23rd, 2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:07 AM

I actually recall seeing a model of the General Lee from Duke's of Hazard maybe 15 years back at a local hobby shop with the flag on the roof airbrushed out on the box cover and thinking WTF?! I googled it and apparently the flag decal was still contained in the kit, but the box art modified so as "not to offend".

Apparently Revell has done something similar in recent years with the box art on their HIndenberg model, going so far even as to make the hobbyist "construct" the swastikas on the stabilizers (see pic below).

I built that kit as a kid, had it displayed in my room, Swastikas and all, and never thought anything of it (neither did my parents; hell, my Dad bought the kit for me)..and I'm Jewish!

BUT if I saw someone with a T-shirt or bumper sticker with a Swastika on it juxtaposed with something along the lines of "fighting terrorism since 1920"...yeah I know, I just gotta go out and get me a sense of humor.

BTW, I always thought Lynyrd Skynyrd didn't need to get all riled up if they had just gotten Neil Young's sense of humor.

Old May 23rd, 2019, 08:50 AM

Old May 23rd, 2019, 09:04 AM

I'm going to close this thread.