The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.
View Poll Results: How much cash do you routinely carry?
$0 to $20 - "I've got a debit card."
22.11%
$20 to $100
29.47%
$100 to $500
29.47%
$500 to $1,000
11.58%
$1,000 to $2,000
2.11%
$2,000 to $5,000
3.16%
$5,000 to $10,000
1.05%
More than $10,000
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

A Poll: How Much Cash Do You Carry?

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2017, 04:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don' wanna talk about it.

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:28 PM

I carry $300 to $500 normally more if I'm looking for something special . I also carry a debit card and a derringer( old habits from having a gun shop for years). I have seldom paid with a check when purchasing a firearm or car part, that's just the way I roll for 68 years....Tedd
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Since this is the second page, and new viewers can't see the first page, I will repeat this post about the second question:

As I discussed above, the VBulletin system will only allow a single poll question at a time, but it would be interesting to know whether the amount of money one carries is related to one's age.

Therefore, I have posted four additional questions, one for each of the four major answer brackets from the original question:
1. People who carry $0-$20
2. People who carry $20-$100
3. People who carry $100-$500, and
4. People who carry $500 or more.

What is the point? Well, if the same people who answered the first question will go back and answer the new question that applies to them (depending on how much they carry), we will see how and whether one's age affects how much one carries, or, in other words, whether cranky old farts walk around with a lot of cash because they don't trust banks, and whether young greenhorn whippersnappers use those goldurn plastic card thingies for every darned thing in the world.
Or not.

No need for you to add anything else to these other threads (unless you want to), because the actual discussion is here in this thread.

When it looks like we've got a whole bunch of answers, I'll post a synopsis of the results (of course, anyone else who wants to can do the same if they want).

So, please, if you answered the first question, take a second to click the applicable link above and answer the second question that applies to you.

Thanks!

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:39 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Interesting poll👍
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Lansing built

I beg to differ that debit cards work every! There are a few places that are cash only business. It's been 25 years since I have been to a girly place with the brass poles. Are they taking debits or do they have square?

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; January 14th, 2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If they take square, then where is the "slider" located???

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 05:11 PM

I'm strictly a cash person with a credit card in my wallet as a back-up for emergencies.
I pull $100 out of the bank on Monday and usually go back for another $50 to $100 around Thursday. This covers fuel, lunches and minor purchases.
It is not uncommon for me to have several thousand available in the safe for any deal that may pop up. Cash is king! LOL
But lately with my oldest in College my hobby bank roll has been quite slim.
I have found having about $1000 in my PayPal account is also quite useful as well as safe. I bought a set of bucket seats last week with a PayPal transfer as the seller and I stood side by side in my warehouse. He dropped the seats off and I transferred the money to his account. After drinking a soda together we talked about cars for a a short while then we shook hands and went our separate ways. Well, he left and I went back to work. LOL

But no, I don't carry large amounts of money unless I am doing so for a specific purpose.

The most I've carried for myself is $10,000. That's when I bought my 442. I normally work with less than $5000.

I carried $50,000 in cash during my first deployment to Iraq. But that's another story. LOL
Old January 14th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So, so far we've got six people between the ages of 44 and 70 who say they routinely carry more than $500 (and no other responses - c'mon, gents!).

Thus far, my initial hypothesis, that car guys in general carry a bunch o' dough in case a deal pops up, has been shot down (with what is still a perfect bell curve with the 47 responses so far), but it seems it may be confirmed if confined to the older age group.

Keep clicking those boxes!

Thank you!

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I just bought a hood from a fella who drove from indiana. I had 6 bucks in my wallet and ran to my banks atm right down the road and got 100 bucks to pay for the hood. its that easy lol.
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:05 PM

For some reason im stuck on $120 when i go get money from my bank ATM. I use it mostly for food at work. If i were to find a car i want to buy i would carry the limit of what i would be willing to pay. Just found a 67 Furd Fairlane 500 i cant stop thinking about. Its one of the very few Fords i always said i would like to own. I may have to carry some cash over there and talk. But i really dont need another project now.
Im 62 soon to be 63
Old January 14th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Live in the country, work in town next to my bank. Any parts/car trips are usually planned, so I take it out of the bank when I need it.
Old January 14th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Phantom Phixer

Saw a bumper sticker once that said .
"Driver carries no cash . He's married ".
Old January 15th, 2017, 05:07 AM

Boy, I'm so average for my age! 66yo and carry $300 to 500. It actually bothers me if I get down under $200.
Old January 15th, 2017, 08:12 AM

You should have included in your poll B.M.and A.M.
Before Marriage and After Marriage.
Old January 15th, 2017, 08:19 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ha ha. Yeah.

Can only post one question at a time, though...

So far, 61 responses (44 answers to the age questions), the curve still has a bell shape, the vast majority carry somewhere between $20 and $500, and there isn't a strong age relationship, other than that nobody under 40 carries more than $500, and the only people who carry less than $20 are under 25.

- Eric
Old January 15th, 2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Ha ha. Yeah.

Can only post one question at a time, though...

So far, 61 responses (44 answers to the age questions), the curve still has a bell shape, the vast majority carry somewhere between $20 and $500, and there isn't a strong age relationship, other than that nobody under 40 carries more than $500, and the only people who carry less than $20 are under 25.

- Eric
I think if there were younger people on this board you would see $0-$20 a lot heavier and it would be more the younger you got.

i think another caveaut to this may be urban vs rural. deals dont usually pop up per se living in a big city. you typically search out said deals on CL or some other internet form. my days for example is getting on the expressway to work and the same coming home. I'm not on side roads often to see a yard sale or a car for sale that may pop up.

Last edited by 88 Cutty Classic; January 15th, 2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old January 15th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

All true.

It's common that when you start researching something, it points to a hundred new questions you would like to answer.

Unfortunately, the construction of this site makes getting into too much detail prohibitive.

... Unless you want to post a poll.

- Eric
Old January 15th, 2017, 09:32 AM

Voted $0-$20...55 Y.O. Credit Union debit card for day to day stuff and big bank credit card for online and major purchases. I like the protection the credit card gives you in most cases.

Most cash ever carried was $15k when I bought my current 442. Didn't like having that much cash with today's search and seizure laws. I've read nightmare stories about law abiding people having large sums of cash seized.

I called my bank a week ahead of time to tell them I was coming for the money and I wanted it in large bills. They gave me the majority of it in $20's. It was fricking ridiculous. Definitely looked like I was a crack dealer...lol

Last edited by Cincinnati Rick; January 15th, 2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:04 AM

I voted 0-20, after I quit smoking in 2012 I realized I could end the week with same amount of money I started off with on Monday. Luckily I left impulse buying behind in my 20's. Right around the time I got married.
Old January 15th, 2017, 10:31 AM
Administrator

I do use my credit card everyday in place of cash and pay it off at the end of the month. I get more back in rewards than I get in savings accounts, go figure. I still carry the cash in case I stumble across something that I want from a private individual.
Old January 15th, 2017, 05:00 PM
W30

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I'm one of the last people on earth without a debit card. Never saw a valid reason to have one. I do carry a visa and a mastercard which I can buy a small third world country with. If I need more cash I go to the bank. I guess being 58 y/o I'm just an old dog and low tech.
Im the same way, im 30.
Old January 15th, 2017, 07:28 PM

I typically carry at least one firearm, with one in the chamber obviously, and two full magazines. Oh wait, what was the question?
Old January 16th, 2017, 06:55 PM

Get paid every 2 weeks, start with $300 end digging for change.
As for how much while setting out for parts or tools, it depends on what I'm looking to pick up. If I bring more than 2K I usually ask a Law enforcement friend or 2 to come along since they can carry in and through NYC as well as across state lines. Always good to have insurance. The way I see it, if you own a home you get fire insurance and hope you never have to use it.
Old January 16th, 2017, 08:19 PM

This is good data, Eric.

I carry my "Christmas money" (around 200 in large bills) folded in a separate pocket of the wallet and spend it, if I need to, on cash only purchases. I weekly or so pull $195 dollars from an ATM at my Toyota plant (used to be 200, but I like having a few fives), and this funds breakfast and lunch at the plant five days a week and small purchases and pizza if I order one on the weekend.

I buy fuel, groceries, and any miscellaneous purchases through credit cards. I maintain some cash and will use the ATM to build up if I want. I bought a car a couple years ago for $4k cash, and had pulled $5k cash from the local credit union office a couple days before. I intend to maintain $10k cash in a secure location in the future.

I carry more cash when going places where cash is king. Swap meets, etc. I am currently in Japan, and I took along $2k in cash, 75% converted to yen, here, for a few weeks stay.
Old January 17th, 2017, 07:42 AM

I'm one of the last people on earth without a debit card. Never saw a valid reason to have one. I do carry a visa and a mastercard which I can buy a small third world country with. If I need more cash I go to the bank. I guess being 58 y/o I'm just an old dog and low tech.
I have no cards. I am 60 y/o. I am really a old dog with very little tech.
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

80 Responses so far. Pretty good.

I think I'll wait for 100, then post my (non-sophisticated entirely unscientific) analysis.

- Eric
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:25 AM
Bfg

My wife won't let me leave the house with more than a quarter in my pocket, I think she gives me that Incase I have to call her.
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:31 AM

Although I find this to be a very personal question which I was not going to respond to, I will. Right now, it's Monday, the start of the week. I put 10 bucks of gas in my 40mpg Mazda which will get me through the week. I keep another 30 bucks for a bite to eat, I don't always have lunch as my sweet wife, who is just as frugal, thank god, always has a big tasty dinner waiting for me when I come home. I dumped all my credit cards some time ago, if I don't have the cash, I will do without. That is the best advice I will give to some of you young kids, thank me later. I have a debit/atm card which I never use and it's only for an account that I keep 500 or less in. It does not matter if I have a little money or nothing. I like knowing that I only have a few dollars on me and I like to see how far I can drive for 5 dollars or what kind of lunch I can get with 4 dollars, don't forget to use the coupons, they save you much more than you may think. Now, some of you may know that I do have alot of old cars and make fast deals when I need to. In that case, I keep 300 in a tiny locked and chained safe under my seat so if I need to leave a deposit, I can do it. I think most people will be happy to hold a car until the next day for 300. If not, I don't want to deal with them anyway. Living on a budget this way feels good. We know we are saving for the future and the family, however, if for some reason, we need or want money for something, it's always there.

Last edited by Herbie; January 17th, 2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:36 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Herbie
Although I find this to be a very personal question which I was not going to respond to, I will.
Hey, I didn't ask you to post your personal details -- All I asked you to do was click a button (okay, two buttons...).

I'm actually surprised at how many people went beyond that, though it does add to to idea of what people routinely do.

I'd be interested in geographic details, but that's too hard to get using this platform (I'd have to have you type in a ZIP code when clicking your button of choice, and there's absolutely no provision for that).

Thank you to all who've responded. Just another 19 clicks needed...

- Eric
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:41 AM

Hey!

Off-topic question? Is there any max. threshold at US you can lift from your bank account per day, no matter how high you try to set the max lift.amount??

Just checked, its 2400$ here. Remember when i bought my Cutlass, i had to lift 3 days in a row cash to pay for it
And max amount to lift per try atleast 2 years ago was 400$, so to get that 2400$ per day i had to lift 6 separate times to get the max. daily lift amount Due to works i didnt have time to visit bank to lift it all at once.

Last edited by Inline; January 17th, 2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:45 AM

I don't carry cash. I'm afraid someone might mug me and take all of it (I'm only 7ft tall and 320 lbs).

FWIW, I don't use my debit card. I try to avoid it, a credit card is more secure. Plus, I get money back on all my purchases.

The most cash I carried at once was $3200 to buy a 93 Buick Lesabre years ago. I did have an $84,000 bank check once that I used to pay off my house after returning from Afghanistan. That's not the same though.

Last edited by Olds64; January 17th, 2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Oh yeah!
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't think there's a nationwide limit, but each bank sets a limit, and I believe individual machines also have limits.

In my case, my account will let me take out $200 at a time, up to $400 a day.

I had an account at a different bank a few years ago that would let me take out $400 at a time, $1,200 per day.

Of course, that's so long as the machine has cash, the network is working, there's not a power failure, etc., etc...

- Eric
Old January 17th, 2017, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Hey, I didn't ask you to post your personal details -- All I asked you to do was click a button (okay, two buttons...).

I'm actually surprised at how many people went beyond that, though it does add to to idea of what people routinely do.

I'd be interested in geographic details, but that's too hard to get using this platform (I'd have to have you type in a ZIP code when clicking your button of choice, and there's absolutely no provision for that).

Thank you to all who've responded. Just another 19 clicks needed...

- Eric
Ah, yes Eric, by asking a question like this, you kind of did ask us for personal details, maybe without you even knowing it. In any event, you asked a question and we are giving you an answer. It's ok. It can be interesting to hear how other people spend their money.
Old January 17th, 2017, 09:07 AM

Cash

$100-300 cash is walking around money.
Old January 24th, 2017, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Inline
Hey!

Off-topic question? Is there any max. threshold at US you can lift from your bank account per day, no matter how high you try to set the max lift.amount??

Just checked, its 2400$ here. Remember when i bought my Cutlass, i had to lift 3 days in a row cash to pay for it
And max amount to lift per try atleast 2 years ago was 400$, so to get that 2400$ per day i had to lift 6 separate times to get the max. daily lift amount Due to works i didnt have time to visit bank to lift it all at once.

It depends entirely on your banks withdrawal policies at to the amount. If you go outside of your "normal transactions", under the new banking regulations, they must report it to the IRS. Drawing out $2400 each day for 3 days, is going to get you reported. Under the old regulations, a $10,000 withdrawal would trigger the provision, however, that threshold has been lowered to $5000. Most of these new regulations are an attempt by our government to "stop crime" and "money laundering". George Orwell got it right, he just got the date wrong.
Old January 31st, 2017, 03:26 AM
car nut farmer

I carry around a few hundred every day. I'm 54
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:22 AM

This credit card thing amazes me, kids will pop out their card at the convenience store and buy a coke candy bar, maybe a buck and a half spent. Probably cost them that much in fees, what happened to using cash anymore?.... Tedd
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:50 AM
Administrator

It doesn't cost the user fees, it's the retailer that absorbs them.
Old January 31st, 2017, 09:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

It doesn't cost the user fees, it's the retailer that absorbs them.
Also, don't confuse a debit card with a credit card. I use my debit card almost exclusively (though not for purchases under about $5).
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:03 AM

I use my debit card but have them run it through as credit so I don't get any fees plus I don't have to enter a PIN. I have no idea why that makes a difference but it does with my Credit Union.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
(though not for purchases under about $5).
Haha, I went to Staples the other day to buy some chalk to mark the cuts on my carpet I was installing. I had to put 99 cents on my debit card...

Quick Reply: A Poll: How Much Cash Do You Carry?