The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Pick a new-ish DD

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:07 AM

Pick a new-ish DD

About to pass down my current daily driver to my son, and need to find something new-ish for me. Practical side says just get a mid-size sedan like the Accord I'm replacing, but thinking about some nicer or sportier cars that have taken a big depreciation hit. Maybe a Caddy CTS for example. Any other good ideas based on the following?

Top of budget would be low $20's (less I spend leaves more for old cars and other vices)
Less than 40k miles so I get lots of life out of it
Sedan or coupe, don't need SUV or truck (wife just got new SUV)
Don't really want a Mustang/Camaro/Challenger - prefer old muscle over modern re-interpetations
Would like it new enough to have bluetooth for my phone
Prefer RWD over FWD, little need for AWD in Texas
Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:40 AM
Beer Connoisseur

I had a 2007 Cadillac STS V8 and never again. The materials used on the interior are worse than a KIA. Things like little ***** keep falling apart and everything looks cheap and has a cheap feeling to it. At about 17k miles passenger side window stop working, at about 23k miles had some issues with transmission, it started shifting really rough, at 32k miles problems with ECM would cause car to shake when started, at 35k ECM was replaced due to idle at 3000rpm. Luckily everything was covered by a warranty.

I bought a 2014 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid, fully loaded with nav, bluetooth, etc. for $24.5, brand new. I like it for a DD, plenty of power, very comfortable (it's no cadillac), get about 35 MPG on avg.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 09:29 AM

I would highly recommend the Chrysler 300c, I have a 2006 I purchased in 2009 for 17,000 with 50,000 miles. It currently has 230,000 and still goes strong. It is one fast car 0-60 5.3 sec and 1/4 mile in the 13's while driving in complete luxury. I average 22 MPG and besides routine maintenance I have replaced radiator and fuel pump.
Old April 24th, 2015, 03:24 AM
car nut farmer

If you can find an adult owned Dodge Magnum RT go for it. My son has one and I like it a lot, when I get to drive it. Superior quality, roomy, and the 5.7 really puts out.

Also the Chrysler 300 like nj67 said. My wife and I had one, true sport sedan.
Old April 24th, 2015, 06:22 AM

Thanks and had not thought of the 300 yet or even a Charger is possible. Buicks may be promisng too. On the other hand, could also go the small/sporty direction and look a Golf GTI. So many options and I see the merits of many different car styles, except maybe a Prius.....
Old April 24th, 2015, 08:20 AM
car guy

My daily commuter is a 6speed turbo Sonic. Nice little car for the money and after a year of combo city highway 34mpg. Easter night I ran up to OKC to pick up my new to me tig welder. Got mixed in with a group of cars that wanted to roll and for about 100 miles I was running 90-95 MPH. Very comfortable and stable smooth riding cars. I bought just because it was dirt cheap and great milage but I have been highly impressed so far.
Old April 24th, 2015, 09:10 AM
72 Olds CS

Avoid VW products unless you appreciate low quality and don't mind frequent CEL lights and trips to the dealer or working on your on car even tho it's under warranty. I've owned more than 20 VWs and while they are smart looking and handling they are so needy and their dealers rank so low in cust sat as well as VWOA being completely apathetic I will never own another one.
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Rocket Renegade!

All due respect, if VWs are that bad and you've owned more than 20 of them, doesn't that make you kind of a slow learner?
Old April 24th, 2015, 01:12 PM
72 Olds CS

lol no not at all, i owned many used ones and all had more than 80k miles and some years on them I loved the looks and handling. I just ASSumed that the used ones had water leaks and electrical issues and trim falling off along with a host of other annoyances because they were used,my bad.

When i bought a new one and from the 2500 mile mark the car started in w the same issues that my older used ones had the i quickly learned that the 4 dealers i dealt with under warrenty items could give a flying Flick about me or my car. Finally as a result of mutlple visits to one dealer for the same ignition issue i wrote a letter and EM to VWOA their response was quite telling... here it is in its entirety;

yup no response even tho they sent me new car deals nearly every month they must have lost my email and home address weird....

I owned that VW for 150000 miles and 10 years. in that time the CEL light came on more than 6 times for various issues. The number of times i have seen a CEL in the subsequent vehicle ive owned (multiple fords, a toyota, a volvo, a mazda) = zero a lemon...eh maybe, but my experience mirrors that of several relatives and friends who have had the misfortune of owning a VW product....a quick search of VWs on CL will net nearly every ad either says CEL light on or no CEL light on (indicating they got it out and are now selling it quick LOLBCOTI)

Its ok if you own one I enjoyed driving them they are fun, whats not fun is poor quality fit and finish, mutiple dealer trips for simple things and dealer and corporate apathy.
Old April 24th, 2015, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
all due respect, if vws are that bad and you've owned more than 20 of them, doesn't that make you kind of a slow learner?
RoFlmAO -
Old April 24th, 2015, 01:54 PM

I have owned Lexus vehicles for almost 20 years, I've put lots of miles on them, bought the first one used, 2nd one new. Has lots of power, and can cruise for hours at 90 mph. Between them (other than Oil Changes) I have put on a set of front disc pads on the current one (got that heavy Olds foot goin on) ......... that's it. I don't think I would ever buy anything else.

On a slight side note, I bought a 1994 Toyota 4wd PU new in 1994 with the same exact results (well, other than the radiator that got eaten up from Michigan Road Salt). One set of front pads. Still runs perfect and doesn't leak one drop of anything.

Last edited by RandyS; April 24th, 2015 at 01:57 PM.