The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Pay attention and wear your saftey glasses

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2011, 08:03 AM
car guy

Pay attention and wear your saftey glasses

I thought I would share a little story from over the weekend that was a wake up call to me.

I was having to raise a self and add a new one in the babies' to be closet. I needed some simple 1 x 4 cut to go in the side of the wall to hold the new rod. Now before I finish the story you should all know I am always wearing saftey glasses doing anything in the shop. Its the one time you don't wear them that gets you in trouble.

OK back to the story..... The night before I had moved my saw. It has about a 1 foot long clamp that sticks out away from the saw and hold the lumber tight but just slides up to remove when you don't need it. I had layed it across the very front edge of the saw when I moved it.

So I had to cut these two pieces. I turned on the saw lined up the laser and pulled down on the handle. The saw will cut a piece of 2 x 4 as fast as you can pull the handle so the 1 x 4 was nothing. Well I found out it cuts aluminum just as fast. It cut through the aluminum and found the steal screw of the clamp as fast as I pulled the handle down.

The terrible noise came from the saw. and I let got but the only thing that saved me was my position in relation to the saw. Two teeth came flying off. I felt something touch my face and my arm to the inside of my elbow. My arm started to bleed from one small nick and and went over to a mirror to see a single drop of blood was on the side of my temple about an inch from my left eye.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Glad to hear you're ok...the day before my wedding (many moons ago) I was mowing the lawn and rock kicked up and nailed me square in the eye...red and puffy for the pics! could have been worse but you bet your a$$ I wear safety glasses every time I mow the lawn now!
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Cutlass Lover

Wow Richard..... glad it wasn't a worse accident!! It's so easy to get distracted, or forget something. Accidents happen fast!
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM

Glad Lady Luck was with you then. Accidents always seem to be the time you DONT use PPE. They also seem to happen during "easy" projects.
Good wake up call - be more careful an learn from the unfortunate. I try to do the same.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:44 AM

When I took the AutoBody shop course at the local JC to "fix up" the Silver Bullet (4 1/2 year project!), first thing instructor stressed in classroom setting was "S-A-F-E-T-Y". I guess in one ear, and out the other, as the old saying goes. At home, in front of the garage, w/o safety glasses (right next to me on the shelf) was using a small pneumatic grinder on a quick job; the grinding disk was not secure, and flew off, at what? 5,000 RPM? Went across the side of my face and just glazed my eyeball! Red ain't the word, but no actual cut. Lucky is the word! Never, ever do anything without them, anymore.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM

That was a lucky miss. Take it from a old one-eyed guy. You don't want the loss. I only have one to loose and I had a close call with a grinder last year. now I wear a safety shield and safety glasses with grinding or cutting. Stuff can get by the glasses. Use safety goggles or at least safety glasses with the side flap option at a minimum. Add the face shield when using the grinder wouldn't what you to loose a nose either
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:36 PM

Glad you are OK
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I thought I would share a little story from over the weekend that was a wake up call to me.

I was having to raise a self and add a new one in the babies' to be closet. I needed some simple 1 x 4 cut to go in the side of the wall to hold the new rod. Now before I finish the story you should all know I am always wearing saftey glasses doing anything in the shop. Its the one time you don't wear them that gets you in trouble.

OK back to the story..... The night before I had moved my saw. It has about a 1 foot long clamp that sticks out away from the saw and hold the lumber tight but just slides up to remove when you don't need it. I had layed it across the very front edge of the saw when I moved it.

So I had to cut these two pieces. I turned on the saw lined up the laser and pulled down on the handle. The saw will cut a piece of 2 x 4 as fast as you can pull the handle so the 1 x 4 was nothing. Well I found out it cuts aluminum just as fast. It cut through the aluminum and found the steal screw of the clamp as fast as I pulled the handle down.

The terrible noise came from the saw. and I let got but the only thing that saved me was my position in relation to the saw. Two teeth came flying off. I felt something touch my face and my arm to the inside of my elbow. My arm started to bleed from one small nick and and went over to a mirror to see a single drop of blood was on the side of my temple about an inch from my left eye.
I am a carpenter (Contractor). I very well know about the safety guards, clamps etc. on all the new saws. Well they are a hinderance, and can, as you have found, become more of a problem than a safety thing. Do I install them on my saws? 35 years, and not even a knick without them. (I see some wood to knock on!) You just need to be carefull while using them. I do wear glasses though. (permanent) I also do not like lasers. Not accurate enough for me. They always change from day to day after being moved alot.

Last edited by ziff396; May 9th, 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:44 PM

I often use a wire brush on a die grinder,always wear safety glasses,I have pulled many brush wires out of my skin and clothing.
Old May 10th, 2011, 05:49 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Glad you were not hurt real bad.

Thanks for the reminder,I have been wanting to buy some new saftey glasses,mine are scratched pretty bad.
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:26 PM
GM Enthusiast

Always a good reminder Richard.

One thing I have seen in my neighborhood is people using weed wackers to edge their lawns without wearing safety goggles. Can't believe people would do that! I always wear my glasses when edging and I know I have had crap come up and hit me on the glasses on more than one occasion.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:40 PM

I wear safety glasses to the dirt track races. Keeps the dirt and dust out.
Old May 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM

My 12 year old already wears them in the shop and even helps remind at times to put them back on when i go back to grinding. I learned a long time ago when a wire wheel on a bench grinder came apart and lodging pieces deep in my eye. Not a pleasant time at the hospital on that one. At least my young supervisor is around to remind me there on top of my head and not on my face lol. Glad to here you didn't get hurt to bad
Old May 11th, 2011, 05:16 AM

Ouch

Richard,

Glad you're Ok. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 11th, 2011 at 05:17 AM. Reason: spalling
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:48 AM

25 yrs ago, a friend of mine was removing a "spring style" fuel line clip from a gas tank.
It popped off, hit him in the face, and he said "his eye started to water".
Lost all the retinal fluid within minutes.
Ended up losing the lens, 5 years getting a new one.

Believe me when I say it changed the course of his whole life.

Hope all is good Richard.

Jim

Last edited by Warhead; May 19th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old May 19th, 2011, 09:32 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Warhead
25 yrs ago, a friend of mine was removing a "spring style" fuel line clip from a gas tank.
It popped off, hit him in the face, and he said "his eye started to water".
Lost all the retinal fluid within minutes.
Ended up losing the lens, 5 years getting a new one.

Believe me when I say it changed the course of his whole life.

Hope all is good Richard.

Jim
All is fine with me I was not hurt other than 2 nicks that didn't even need a bandaid. I just wanted to remind everyone else not to do such a boneheaded move