The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Oldsmobiles waiting

Old July 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
robert

Oldsmobiles waiting

I have some car's that I have collected over time to work on. My problem, Is after all the time it took to attain my cars,tools,knowledge and place to work on them, life has taken it's toll on me. I am not a whiner, Life, Marriage,Divorce and Death, been there as I'am sure alot of you too.. Help me get my project going.
I want to know what were some of your thoughts to push over the hump to get the start on your project. All suggestions appreciated.

Robert

1967 442 H/T 455 auto
1969 442 convertible matching #'s
1969 442 convertible 455 auto
1971 442 convertible 455 matching #'s
1975 442 350 32Kmiles matching #'s
1975 W-30 Black 1 owner 70Kmiles matching #'s
1994 Corvette vert 2 owner 66Kmiles original
1999 Corvette vert 2 owner 30Kmiles original
Old July 18th, 2010, 02:59 PM

I would love to have a place to work on my car. Doing stuff outside isn't cutting it. Ever since I broke my leg a year ago I've been on a tear trying to get things done on my 66 Cutlass. I think that whole experience just left me thinking that life is passing me by and I needed to get off my butt and do something. You have a bunch of life situations there that you can relate to. Just dwell on the positive and maybe that will help motivate you to live your dream. You have quite the stable there, might as well enjoy them.
Old July 18th, 2010, 03:04 PM

I would say pick one and start on it. Maybe pick the one that needs the least amount of work so you can complete it and get to drive it.

Then you can move on to the next one.

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; July 18th, 2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old July 18th, 2010, 03:10 PM

1st

Ya gotta get in shape

I take a wood rasp to my knuckles and then soak both hands in sum gasoline.
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rml442
I have some car's that I have collected over time to work on. My problem, Is after all the time it took to attain my cars,tools,knowledge and place to work on them, life has taken it's toll on me. I am not a whiner, Life, Marriage,Divorce and Death, been there as I'am sure alot of you too.. Help me get my project going.
I want to know what were some of your thoughts to push over the hump to get the start on your project. All suggestions appreciated.

Robert
I can absolutely sympathize with you. Two divorces, three marriages, starting my own business, selling my own business, buying a farm with an old log house that's more of a project than the cars...

I finally made a rule to do at least one thing on one project car every evening after work. No, that's not always possible, but it's a start and you'll be amazed at the progress. Not having a permanent workspace is a pain, because you waste more time setting up and picking up than you do working on the car, but it's what you have right now. Once a project starts to progress and you see the progress, you'll be amazed at how much better it makes you feel.
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Working on my car gives me a reprieve from life's struggles. I look forward to the time I am able to spend under the hood (even when the car is fighting me ).

Call it therapeutic or whatever, but it gives me satisfaction when I am able to complete a project. That alone motivates me to start other projects with that sense of fullfillment.

I suppose, like most things, starting a project is the hardest. We like to come up with excuses/reasons on why we can't do something instead of just doing it.

just my .02

d1
Old July 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I would say pick one and start on it. Maybe pick the one that needs the least amount of work so you can complete it and get to drive it.
My thoughts exactly. I have had my Cutlass for 17 years and it was my driver for several years. The brakes are out and I can't drive it. I have a disk brake conversion for the front and of course that is going to be a front end rebuild when I do the brakes. I have Vista Cruiser brakes for the rear which will involver swapping the rear, adding boxed control arms and a sway bar. Then the rear main and front pump seal are leaking so I need to yank the engine and transmission. Then while I have it out, I have a cam, headers and Edelbrock Performer RPM to add. Do I just change those or go all the way through it. It runs perfect and only has 85,000 miles. So it has been off the road for 4 years. I think it all comes down to priorities and I need to move the priority up on my Cutlass.
Old July 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by defiant1
Call it therapeutic or whatever, but it gives me satisfaction when I am able to complete a project. That alone motivates me to start other projects with that sense of fullfillment.
Yep, it's the instant gratification. By day I work on NASA and Air Force projects that won't fly for years, if not decades. Being able to take something that doesn't work and make it work within a day or so is very fulfilling.
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:00 PM

What I would suggest, is to make the commitment to do ''whatever is necessary" in order to get one done. What I mean by that, is making a promise to yourself not to be detoured by any obstacles put in your path. For example, if you are in a relationship, spouse, girlfriend, communicate that this is a need you have, and enlist her support in helping meet that need. Sometimes, the obstacle is a financial one, and there are ways around that, bartering, exchange of goods and services, etc. The first step is always the most difficult, make the commitment!

Les
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:17 PM
GM Enthusiast

Working on my car gives me a reprieve from life's struggles. I look forward to the time I am able to spend under the hood (even when the car is fighting me ).

I suppose, like most things, starting a project is the hardest. We like to come up with excuses/reasons on why we can't do something instead of just doing it.
x2

Well said. Good luck with your projects, can you post some pictures of the ones you have?
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:02 PM

Getting focused can be the most difficult thing. I had too many projects and could not get very far on one without doing a little work on the next. I got focused by deciding on which car was the "keeper" and sold off 3 cars and a bunch of parts to finance the keeper. That was the hardest part for me....downsizing and getting realistic! Once I stayed with the goal working on only one car at a time, the project path became much clearer. BTW The "keeper" is pictured.
Old July 18th, 2010, 09:32 PM

Pick some small, realistic goals to do so as to not get overwhelmed by the 'big picture'. Like others have said, once you start to achieve the small goals you set and begin to make some progress, you'll be inspired to keep at it, 'chipping' away. Good luck and keep us posted with you progress (you'll get a LOT of encouragement from us here!).
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:45 AM
robert

To all that gave their thought's to me, I thank you. I have come to the realization that life is indeed short. I need to enjoy what working on the cars can bring to me. I believe it could help me find the answers to other questions I'm sometimes pondering.
Thanks again, Pictures on the way.
Old July 19th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Great, glad to see you are going to move forward with at least one of your projects. Keep us posted on your project. Good luck
Old July 19th, 2010, 01:28 PM

QUOTE=joe_padavano;Two divorces, three marriages
Hey! I resemble that remark, damn tough going through those practice wives, I only lost 4 cars on the first practice session. The good thing about not having cars complete is that they don't get top value when the lawyers divide your stuff. Pick a car you want to see and as Joe said try to do something to it everyday, works for me.
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:53 AM
NôôB

Originally Posted by a64olz
Hey! I resemble that remark, damn tough going through those practice wives, I only lost 4 cars on the first practice session. The good thing about not having cars complete is that they don't get top value when the lawyers divide your stuff. Pick a car you want to see and as Joe said try to do something to it everyday, works for me.
lol if/when i get married i will havea prenupt on my car/s. but maybe that would just be me
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
NôôB

o and my suggestion would be to take your favorite one and take your time with that one and work on another one that would be easy to fix. Then when you get the easy one fixed move onto the next one, my opinion on this one is cause if you get frustrated with one of the 2 cars your working on you can just slide over to the other one and relax on it and visa versa...

but thats me and to each there own, cheers and good luck, jealous of the cars so on and so forth

Sick
Old July 20th, 2010, 10:00 PM

good luck .I can empathise .I use this new found car enthusiasm to take the stress outta life .In fact I took the stress right out.My darling left 6 weeks ? ago cos I did nothing else--I had changed !!!!
Oh well the dogs are good company,the carpets need vacuuming and the cars are progressing .Oh yeah and ol mum gets an extra dinner time visit.!
oh shyt -here we go again,last one killed off by golf, hunting, fishing .I take a hobby around home and the next one leaves .

Buddy, do what you want on whichever car turns ya wheels, stand back n say aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss and grab a beer.

Go hard

mike