The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Oldsmobile in PC World magazine

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2013 | 07:11 PM

Oldsmobile in PC World magazine

I subscribe to PC World, and I was reading through the latest issue when I came across this, quite unexpectedly, and it made my jaw drop.

Of all the ways they might have chosen to illustrate their point, they chose to have someone working on a car. Of all the cars they might have chosen, they chose an old Olds. This is, what, a '64 Cutlass, or maybe a '65?

Pretty cool, whatever it is. I wonder if the author or the illustrator, Taylor Callery, is an Olds buff and figured out a way to slip one in.

Old June 27th, 2013 | 07:40 PM

What an insult to Olds to associate it with ms windows...
Old June 28th, 2013 | 05:55 AM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
What an insult to Olds to associate it with ms windows...
Hahaha so true !!!
Old June 28th, 2013 | 08:02 AM

Good God, I just thought it was a cool illustration. No need to wet your pants over it.
Old June 28th, 2013 | 08:43 AM

It is a cool illustration. I right clicked and saved it, with W7.
Old June 28th, 2013 | 09:04 AM

That's exactly how I look at it. It's a cool illustration, regardless. Who cares whether the article it's associated with is about Windows or anything else.
Old June 28th, 2013 | 07:42 PM

As frustrated I am with windows 7 and the "ribboned" office, it is an insult.
Improvements are welcomed to software but when developers have to totally redesign the wheel to make experienced users feel like newbies (even after 7 months), it is a total insult.

However picking an Olds to use in the picture was probably just a random occurrence. Nice to see they are remembered (kind of).
Old June 29th, 2013 | 04:01 AM

Possibly it is the thought that the Oldsmobile is a discontinued item, and so will Windows be someday soon, if MS doesn't get its act together. Both were leaders in their field, until upper management lost sight of what they were doing right, and started doing things wrong. Never thought that I would see Oldsmobile be discontinued, and to loose Pontiac as well was a major mistake within GM. Can't argue with the bean counters, since they are not like the guys that built the brand for decades, knowing what the public wanted, and how to deliver that tastefully, and with class.
Old June 29th, 2013 | 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Junkman
Never thought that I would see Oldsmobile be discontinued, and to loose Pontiac as well was a major mistake within GM.
This is an argument based on sentiment, not economic reality given the shrinking size of the market owned by GM. We can argue until doomsday the mistakes GM made or didn't make that led to the demise of these brands, but lots of brands have disappeared over the history of automobile manufacturing, and the discontinuance of Olds and Pontiac might have happened regardless of how well GM ran its operation.

Everyone ridicules the "bean counters" just by use of the term, but someone has to count the beans, and if there aren't enough beans to pay the bills, the business goes under.
Old July 14th, 2013 | 02:53 PM

Windows 8 is awful. Really the hardest to use operating system Microsoft has come up with yet.