The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Nutty Squirrel

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2021, 07:53 PM

Nutty Squirrel

Funny story that could happen to nearly any of us.

https://chevroletforum.com/articles/...ust-four-days/

….
Old November 1st, 2021, 03:04 AM

Thats a level of hoarding like I've never seen
Old November 1st, 2021, 03:09 AM
Running On Empty

Industrious squirrel...
Old November 1st, 2021, 05:51 AM

I left my old plow truck out under some trees for about a month last summer. When I went out to it to put a new proof of insurance paper in I found a apparent mouse nest in the glove box ( made of napkins left in there), A bunch of acorns under the hood and between the inner and outer hood skins, and a wasp nest in the box.... Got stung by a wasp... Geez critters sure will take stuff over, but that Avalanche!! That is unreal!!
Old November 1st, 2021, 07:53 AM

We took 3- 5 gallon buckets of walnut shells (they had eaten the nuts) out of my 55 when it was being stripped down for it's first rebuild. Thought it was clean but found the muffler completely stuffed full when we started it up. Hard to put out the fire once it got started and made a hell of a mess in the garage when I turned the garden hose on it... Tedd
Old November 1st, 2021, 07:54 AM
Oldsdruid

That's a nice haul of walnuts. I don't like black walnuts that much meself, mainly because they're so much work to get the goodie out of the husk and shell, but you can make good money selling them. The trees my cousin and neighbor have are loaded.

My Grandma would go in the woods and gather them, then she used a hammer and a flat rock to crack them open. She'd sit for hours with a lap full of nuts, picking the nut meat out.

Damn a squirrel. I fight them every year over bird feeders.

I haven't seen one around here in several months. But let me fill the sunflower seed cage or put out a seed cake and I garondamntee there'll be hordes of them. And I will be waiting with the 10-22.

Hey, buzzard has to eat too!
Old November 1st, 2021, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
We took 3- 5 gallon buckets of walnut shells (they had eaten the nuts) out of my 55 when it was being stripped down for it's first rebuild. Thought it was clean but found the muffler completely stuffed full when we started it up. Hard to put out the fire once it got started and made a hell of a mess in the garage when I turned the garden hose on it... Tedd
Wow, that's nuts!!
Old November 1st, 2021, 06:39 PM

My OCC was hit a few years ago. Not quite 150 pounds, but enough on the intake that could have easily tangled the throttle. Lucky my daughter saw the culprit exiting the wheel well prompting me to take a look.
Old November 1st, 2021, 09:03 PM

I see a business opportunity here. Make a squirrel friendly storage box, let the lil dudes fill it up, then take their stash. Put an empty box back and repeat.
Old November 2nd, 2021, 07:40 AM
Oldsdruid

Free squirrel labor!🐿 I like that idea.

They'd figure a way to organize and protest or worse get in your attic and tear up your house. As stated, for something with a brain the size of a peanut the little bastiges are smart. I have seen them studying my bird feeders figuring out how to get around all the squirrel deterrents.

They worried the seed cake so bad last year I finally doused it with sriracha as the extension agent said squirrels can't stand spicy hot and it doesn't bother birds.

The squirrels broke the cage open, dumped the seed cake on the ground and had a party. The seed cake looked like a meat loaf with so much sriracha on it. They ate it all.

It's sad because the seed cake attracted woodpeckers, but since I refuse to intentionally feed a tree rat, now nobody gets seed cake. Blue jays would run the squirrels off but they only came twice a day where at least one squirrel was there all day.

Bushy tailed opportunists.😠
Old November 3rd, 2021, 08:48 AM

Squirrel repellent

310 Martini Cadet 218 Mashburn Bee
Old November 3rd, 2021, 01:53 PM

My in-laws' neighbor got tired of all the squirrels in his yard, so he wrapped the base of his large oak tree with plexiglass. He sat on his porch and every time a squirrel tried climbing the plexiglass, he killed it with a pellet gun. He and his wife ate a lot of squirrel that year until the cops shut down his operation.
Old May 31st, 2022, 04:59 AM

In a funny, somewhat related, squirrel induced malady, my son called me the other morning. He started his car (red Cutlass) only to have it stall. Restarted and it quickly stalled, cranked again, no start. He took a quick look under hood and found a squirrel had chewed through his rubber fuel line between the steel line and fuel pump. What’s interesting is that it’s not the first time, it happened a year or 2 back as well. I was busy so I made him a repair kit with some tools and a length of line so he could fix it after work.

It is curious that one of these little buggers would become obsessed with something like that. I remotely get the soy based insulation thing but gas filled fuel hose? The thing that I would expect but has only happened once is a mouse nest in the air cleaner. This car is always outside and has 68 style OAI. I would think those scoops, ducts and air cleaner rotunda would be very attractive but I guess not as much as fuel line.

​​​​​

Now for the added insult. He drove the car through the weekend only to pull into my house with car chugging & smoking. He grabbed a bike and headed to work. Knowing the likely culprit, I popped the Qjet off & disassembled it. Sure as you know what, a little piece of rubber fouled the needle seat. Problem solved, just funny how it ran fine for days before getting a little piece of crud stuck that makes trouble.

Last edited by bccan; June 1st, 2022 at 04:09 PM.