The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

New year's resolutions ????

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2010 | 02:54 PM
...should get a life....

New year's resolutions ????

Beautiful hot, sunny New Year's Eve in the Land Down Under (at least it is in Sydney...up in Queensland the poor buggers are under water).
So what's it gonna be in 2011?
I'm hopeless at new years resolutions. Never finish anything I start. My 15 year house renovations are testament to that.
Started writing a book. Never finished it. A stack of songs...never finished them. Olds needs a new windshield brace. Bought one,..never fitted it.
No use resolving to finish anything 'cos I'll just let myself down.....again.
So this year I resolve to find something new to start, which I may or may not finish.

HAPPY NEW YEAR C.O'sters
Old December 30th, 2010 | 03:01 PM
" Hoo yah "

Nice... I wish I had enough funds to go make it back to Perth!! I had some adventures there I loved it when I visited years back. Happy New Years!

Kino
Old December 30th, 2010 | 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Col Wickham
Beautiful hot, sunny New Year's Eve in the Land Down Under (at least it is in Sydney...up in Queensland the poor buggers are under water).
So what's it gonna be in 2011?
I'm hopeless at new years resolutions. Never finish anything I start. My 15 year house renovations are testament to that.
Started writing a book. Never finished it. A stack of songs...never finished them. Olds needs a new windshield brace. Bought one,..never fitted it.
No use resolving to finish anything 'cos I'll just let myself down.....again.
So this year I resolve to find something new to start, which I may or may not finish.

HAPPY NEW YEAR C.O'sters
Col,

I thought you were old enough to know you can never finish a house, just doesn't happen. Been in the same place 39 years still isn't done. Never finish anything complete that way you never run out of things to do which leads to drinking beer and contemplating life which lead to................... Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR. I will have a toast to all you Aussi Olds nuts when the new year arrives here
Old December 30th, 2010 | 06:42 PM
Cutlass Lover

Colonel...... I just want to be happy and healthy in 2011. That's it. I never make resolutions. I'm not doing the "kraut and poke" for dinner this year either. It's supposed to bring luck, but it ain't worked in all these years, so..... Happy New Year to you, though!!
Old December 30th, 2010 | 06:52 PM
...should get a life....

What's so lucky about Kraut & poke Sandy?
Last time I poked a kraut it ended in a wild brawl outside the Bavarian Beer Keller.
Next year I will keep my posts politically correct
Old December 30th, 2010 | 06:53 PM
GM Enthusiast

"kraut and poke" sounds interesting Sandy. Where is that tradition from that it creates good luck, never heard that before.

No New Year's resolution here yet, just want it to be happy,healthy and with no layoffs!
Old December 30th, 2010 | 07:25 PM
Cutlass Lover

Colonel..... you just make me laugh, lol!

...Serve Pork & Sauerkraut on January 1st! According to Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, pork and sauerkraut will bring good luck to you and your family in the year ahead... if it's eaten on New Year's Day. Serve pork and sauerkraut with a large bowl of mashed potatoes.

That's about all I know of the tradition. Maybe it's because my dad was from Pa., but he and mom divorced when I was a year old, so I was never around him. I just know I was raised to eat poke and kraut on New Years day, lol, and it hasn't worked yet! A lot of people do make it on New Years day! Some people carry a piece of cabbage around, throw coins out the door at midnight. I guess there are a bunch of different things you're supposed to do or eat to bring good luck....

Here's another interesting article.....

At some point in your life you’ve probably had to tolerate pork and sauerkraut, or another similarly perplexing “good luck” meal, on the first of January. Read on for a little insight in to the wisdom behind several New Year’s culinary traditions.
Grapes - Natives of Spain are known to consume twelve grapes at midnight, each representative of the months of the year. In theory, in your third grape is sweet, you may anticipate good things in the month of March. This tradition reportedly originated in the early 1900's as a way for grape growers to make use of their surplus.
Pork - Perhaps the most universal “good luck” charm of the New Year, the fat-rich pig is symbolic of wealth, progress and prosperity. Around the world, including Portugal, Ireland, and Cuba, roast suckling pig is the standard New Year's dish.
Greens - Given their resemblance to money, folded green veggies, such as collards, cabbage, or kale are thought to bring wealth and fortune.
Fish - Believed to bring good luck in many regions, the tradition of eating fish on the New Year (especially those with silvery scales) dates back to the Middle Ages. According to German tradition, putting fish scales in one’s wallet will bring financial wealth.
Ring-shaped foods - The likes of doughnuts and bagels are believed to represent the cyclical nature of life, and of the year coming full circle. Italy, Poland, and the Netherlands enjoy doughnut-type pastries at the New Year. In Mexico, locals indulge in a ring-shaped cake adorned with candied fruit known as the rosca de reyes.
Legumes - Beans, peas and lentils, with their small, rounded appearance, resemble coins and are thought to bring financial prosperity. Brazilians typically feast on lentil soup for the New Year. Germans favor split pea soup with pork sausage. In the U.S., especially in the south, black-eyed peas are the lucky New Year’s food, a tradition that traces back to the Civil War when food was scarce and many survived on this hearty legume.
Noodles - With their long shape, the Japanese greet the New Year with buckwheat noodles to ensure a similarly long life.
Happy New Year!

Last edited by cutlassgal; December 30th, 2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old December 30th, 2010 | 07:30 PM
GM Enthusiast

..Serve Pork & Sauerkraut on January 1st! According to Pennsylvania Dutch tradition, pork and sauerkraut will bring good luck to you and your family in the year ahead... if it's eaten on New Year's Day. Serve pork and sauerkraut with a large bowl of mashed potatoes.
Never heard about that before, and my dad's side is Pennsylvania Dutch too. Learn something new everyday.

Happy New Year!
Old December 30th, 2010 | 08:30 PM
...should get a life....

Thanks for that Sandy. This year I resolve to eat a load of Calamari and Doughnuts. I imagine the cyclical nature of that particular diet should take me by the Coronary Care Clinic every couple of months.
Old December 31st, 2010 | 03:57 AM

I have always lived in PA and can't remember a New Years without Pork and Kraut. Dad made the Kraut so you never new each year how stong it would taste, nowdays we just buy it in the store. It really is best with mashed potatoes.
Old December 31st, 2010 | 04:12 AM

My resolution is to quit making resolutions...
I never seem to remember them past January anyway.

If I had to make one, i say to keep on track with my Olds projects, taking little bites each year so i can keep a resto time and a driving time.
I think my '86 should receive more attention, too. She has been long ignored but treated me so well during yesterday's 250 mile cruise.

Have a SAFE AND SANE New Year, y'all!!
Old December 31st, 2010 | 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
My resolution is to quit making resolutions...
I never seem to remember them past January anyway.

X2 On that, besides I'm tired of lying to myself.And to the CO family May next year be the best yet.

Last edited by bulldog; December 31st, 2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old December 31st, 2010 | 07:09 AM

I've never learned so much from a happy new year post. Sandy & Col, you guys are a riot! I appreciate the food for thought. My grandparents are from Germany, and settled on the NY side of the allegany mountains. We've done the sausage & saurkraut thing for years. I don't think I ever thought about it as a tradition, it's jst something we've always done.

My grand dad used to make the saurkraut, then my uncle, and at some point we just started buying it at the store. That was an experience in itself, we went though a few brands before we found one we liked. My friends who aen't saurkraut fans think that's funny.

....anyway, my New Years Resolution (which my girlfriend is quick to point out is more of a goal, whatever :P) Is to get my cutlass running, register it, and drive it at least 1 mile.
Old December 31st, 2010 | 08:21 AM

Black-eyed peas for New Year's Day in Texas, for Good Luck! And Albertson's is sold out, two days ago! I'm going crazy trying to find some. Always assume it works, as never have any bad luck ()!!! sure! Anyway, best of times to all of the great folks (guys and gals) on Classic Oldsmobile, my new found twice daily readable thread setter!!! Careful this evening, if you are out celebrating; designated driver would probably be best to have in the driver's seat.
Old December 31st, 2010 | 08:30 AM

I am waiting to see what Jamsbo is having for dinner and if we all will be invited over. Blue can provide comic relief, Sandy and Co can fire up the music, Wolfie, Rob, and the whole gang can add to the enjoyment of the evening. Rather have BBQ Poke, ribs, flank steak, etc.
Old December 31st, 2010 | 03:37 PM
Cutlass Lover

That sounds good to me Citcapp!
Old December 31st, 2010 | 04:27 PM
...should get a life....

Well Happy New Year guys & gals. It's 11.11am and I've just leapt out of bed. having a diet coke for breakfast & trying real hard to focus on the computer screen after a big one last night. (Nothing different so far,....that's how I start every Saturday)
Gonna be 104deg here today so it'll be air-con on, lay on lounge, watch DVDs.
Enjoy your parties up there folks. Stay safe.....and here's to a fabulous 2011.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-New-Year.html
Old January 1st, 2011 | 07:34 AM

Happy new year from TX, too!
I just got up and made coffee, put some pumpkin pie cream liquore in it.
It is sunny and 32* out but wil warm up later.

I had a few drinks last night and tried to watch Pirates of the carribean 3, but the stupid disk was bad and it kept freezing up to the point it was unwatchable. I prefer VHS tapes...
No plans for today - just be lazy!
Old January 1st, 2011 | 08:11 AM

I'm not gonna make any New Years resolution. I'd forget 'em by tomorrow anywho.

I'm cook'in up sum black eyed peas, collard greens [w/ pot likker] and corn bread. I'm gonna pile the peas with Chow chow.

I love Saurkraut and poke

But cha gotta eat dem Green fer $$$$$$$

Sandy,

I sure you know "Pensylvanian Dutch" ain't got nutt'in to do with Dutch. It's really "Deutsch" but sum body couldn't figger it out.
Old January 1st, 2011 | 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I sure you know "Pensylvanian Dutch"
I had some of that last night, too. Prolly gained a few pounds from it, as well.
Old January 1st, 2011 | 08:33 AM

Good morning guys & gal

Welcome to 2011, Sunny and in mid 20's. Gonna go hit whitey around on temp greens gotta do something to cold in the garage and I'm bored to death can only watch so much TV. The wifey is off with the girls spending $$$$$$$$$$. Now if I was at Col's place I could go cruising today

What say Sandy turn on some tunes close yours eyes and look out the window see those camels and kangaroos as we cruise by. My O My what a ride. Step on it you can keep up with an old 57 can't you.....................
Old January 1st, 2011 | 02:22 PM
...should get a life....

Originally Posted by citcapp
Welcome to 2011, Sunny and in mid 20's. Gonna go hit whitey around on temp greens gotta do something to cold in the garage and I'm bored to death can only watch so much TV. The wifey is off with the girls spending $$$$$$$$$$. Now if I was at Col's place I could go cruising today

What say Sandy turn on some tunes close yours eyes and look out the window see those camels and kangaroos as we cruise by. My O My what a ride. Step on it you can keep up with an old 57 can't you.....................
Exactly what I'll be doing after I finish off the lawns Pat. 88F and cloudless so ideal cruising weather. Today is the reason I love convertibles.
There are kangaroos 10 minutes from here. I see them every morning on the way to work. If I see any camels I'll panic. It'll mean I've taken a wrong turn somewhere and ended up 5,000 km away to the north-west.
Can't begin to imagine what that would cost in fuel. 250km per tank @ $80. That's $3,200 there & back! No camel is worth that ..... not even the pretty ones
Old January 2nd, 2011 | 08:03 AM

Maintain air in your spare...

This is a resolution we all should do and keep at it...
The spares are often overlooked and forgotten about - until we need them!

We went for a cruise yesterday evening to the lake in my '86, went to a local place to eat and came back out to a flat tire. I had not maintained the little compact spare well, but it at least had enough air in it to get us home.

Whether you do 10k miles a year or 200, never forget or ignore your spare - it will keep you out of a bind for sure.
Old January 2nd, 2011 | 11:18 AM

I resolve to move the hell out of NJ this year! Someplace warmer and without the snowy winters!

Its been a week since the storm and I just finished shoveling the rest of the way to the garage.