The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2019, 06:20 AM

Well, I am sore too, Mike. You mentioned looking at old threads, I do that also. I just wonder what happens to someone who is so active on a site and then eventually disappears. A example is Lady and Rob and Erik who was restoring a Vista Cruiser, Gone!! Erik's Vista was never finished. This also happens on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts site, there was one fellow who made up a 20 page welding tutorial (that was really good...) He just disappeared PM's don't work, just gone! Sorry about your friend's Dad and his dog. Sounds like the lab has the same problem as Jack did, though we didn't wait that long.
Had a bunch of buddies come over and after getting a few 4x8 floor boards set in place for a surface we lifted up 25 sheets up the new stairs and then got about half of the floor set. Hard work, but it looks so cool. I'll get a pic when done.Today is supposed to be rainy which would be a great day to work some more in the barn, but I think I'll take it easy today. There is another thread on the site about what to do with your stuff before you are gone. Somber to think about...check it out if you haven't yet. Take care...
Old May 19th, 2019, 07:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out and cool. I'm afraid though it's getting to be time that Tiger can't come with me to the Awful house. He's never had a problem in the mornings but a couple years ago(or was it last year?) when someone called the cops and said there was a dog suffering in a hot car, it was 72* out, why put up with all that. If I could rig up some sort of personal air conditioner that doesn't require the engine to run all would be well.

Norm I grew up in Park Forest, about an hour south of Elgin, and I know what you're saying about the rust on cars. I know Vega's were a little worse than most. Did you know they were shipped on special train cars on their noses?

Greg I wonder too what happens to people. Some people you know what happens, like Sandy, others just vanish. Sometimes I'll look at their member page to see when the last time they were on the site was, some people sell their cars and say goodbye. Strange, really. There was this guy Don, posted a lot here and had a 65 Dynamic convertible. He was old and had health issues, and all of a sudden we noticed he didn't post anymore. We figured he was called home. Come to think of it, there was another guy from Milwaukee that posted a bunch and then vanished. He also had health problems.

Gonna go get a feeler gauge then put the plugs in the truck. Then I gotta look at one of the trailers, then I'll hit Walmart, then it will be time to wind down and prepare for the work week. I'm feeling a little better but still have to step lightly. I don't know if it's age or the extra 40 pounds but getting around is literally a pain these days. Gotta fix that.

Okay I'm off. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old May 19th, 2019, 08:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Sort of nice here this mawnin. Clear blue sky and gentle breeze but only around 44°. No matter, I'm watering the back lawn because I know it's parched from all the wind since Wednesday. I cut it yesterday and it looks absolutely fantastic. I still need to aerate it, but that will come after I soften up the sod a bit.

Norm - Good story about the Vega. I had a friend (Bruce) who owned one of those. I think his was a 71? Anywho it was a real turd. His was a 3 speed shift on the column IIRC and it had rust issues probably like your HS friends. Bruce didn't care though - to him it was a car and nothing else. No way in hell it would pick up chicks; they'd look at it and run screaming.... He did have a sister named Heather who was very very attractive. Anytime she was with us, everyone wanted to sit next to her in the back seat She'd ride with Bruce in that POS and I'm sure people wondered why. Anywho, Bruce never washed his car either. It just sat out in the elements. Somehow I doubt it ever had an oil change either. It leaked a horrendous amount and likely it just got a quart added every 2 weeks or so.

Greg - Sounds like you're having fun with the second floor. That will give you a huge amount of space up there. Are you going to use it as your bat cave??? Yes, I know Rob Young has been away from CO. He had a job change and was looking at buying land near John McNeel up in Oregon. He did a wonderful job restoring his 72 CS. I expect life got busy for him and maybe he found another love interest aside from his 72. Erik Turner is the guy who you're thinking about with the VC. Although Rob also was on the hunt for an elusive 70-72 VC with a 350/350 3 seat combo. Had to be turn key too. Hopefully both of those guys aren't letting rust or patina develop on their hobbies.

Marc - Cool (hahaha, literally). Quite a windy day yesterday wasn't it? You seem to have an eye for the unusual things. What kind of lawnmower do you have that it has a self starter. My self starter is attached to the end of a recoil spring and rope.. BTW, did you notice that all new lawnmowers have a feature called "Check oil" but never add or change? How weird is that? Sort of like the concept that cars never need oil changes during their lifespan? That's just insane. Are you also changing the plug? I found that when I did that the replacement didn't have nearly the same heat range as the OEM so I put the original back in. It showed really nice wear pattern on the tip so nothing that a few more years of cutting won't handle. I did adjust the rpm on mower up about 200 rpm just to get a somewhat better cut. Hahaha, maybe I can crater that engine. But on a different note, my Homelite weed whacker now needs a carb job. It won't respond properly to the trigger, and won't run unless it's on half choke. So that's on the to do list now.

Mike - The junk yards here have leveled the playing field quite a bit. Not only do they put the cars up on old wheels, they also grade the rows before setting down new offerings. Of course before grading they also have to clean up all the junk peeps leave lying on the ground after using the caveman approach to removing them. Sounds like you should invest in a pressure washer of your own instead of relying on the car wash. Quarters?? You're kidding. We have to use either tokens or $1 coins here. The car wash on the corner is new; they have 14 bays and there's a timer on the machine that accepts payment so I can easily see how much time I have left. Oh, you'll love this - they also have a slot where I can put in a credit card for payment.... That will happen when I buy my first Jetson car and my son changes his name to Elroy.
Old May 19th, 2019, 08:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hmm, the site is acting funny this morning. It deleted some emoticons and also changed the format on my post when I previewed it. Good thing I've learned to copy before doing anything else. I had to delete the original and repost it. Hope that's not going to be a trend.
Old May 19th, 2019, 01:48 PM

Oh yeah Vegas really were a POS. Rusty bodies and oil burner engines. Motor trend Car of the Year for 1971?? Yep!!
Old May 19th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Running On Empty

This is a test, only a test - a test of the Emoticon display feature. Had this been a true Emergency & not a test, you would have been directed to some other known site in which you might be able to copy/paste Emoticons. Again, this is only a test.
Old May 19th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Running On Empty

Allan - Did Heather ever sit on your lap?
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Running On Empty

Greg - You should consider installing several additional load bearing posts under the second floor where you plan to put the shuffle board.

Old May 19th, 2019, 04:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:
It is a beautiful day here with sunshine but it was probably close to 90 today. We had severe thunderstorms with 1.2 inches of rain. We had lots of wind and lots of cancelled car shows. We had our monthly NTOC meeting today at a BBQ place outside of Waxahachie. It was probably a 100 mile roundtrip journey. I was going to take the Olds but my wife was having too much pain in her back so we took the Expedition. That was probably a good call.
I always thought the Vega GT was a cool looking little car. Too bad they rusted and never had a decent engine in them. Years ago (over 30 years I know) I saw a Vega run at the old Green Valley Raceway in Fort Worth. It was at Super Chevy Sunday. The thing had a highly modified big block Chevy in it and ran the quarter mile in less than 9 seconds.
Norm, that is quite a game room. Is that your house? If you have that and your man cave, life is not fair. Way cool.
Allan, thanks for letting us know what happened to Rob Young. He really did some outstanding work on his car. I saw that car at a car show a couple years ago but Rob was not around. Another guy local to me is Richard (Gearshead78). He is very talented and actually make my AC brackets for my 54. I had them mocked up in cardboard and he cut them in 1/4 inch steel and welded them up. Did a great job. I have seen him in the last year so I know he hasn't moved.
I watched some of the Mecum auction yesterday. I saw the black 1970 W30 with a 4-speed sell for $205,000. I also saw some very rare 1940 motorcycle sell for $500,000. I think it was Australian. Blew my mind.
That is all I have. Have a good evening guys.

Glenn
Old May 19th, 2019, 05:19 PM
Always room for one more

Norm that's beautiful. I hope that's yours.

Got the spark plugs put in the pickup today. Took me almost two hours. The steering shaft and some structure were in the way of the left side, and the right side took me about 15 minutes. Well, it's done now. I should get new leads but that is for another day.

Also took the dogmobile to the $7 all you can do carwash. You pay $7 to get in and then you wash as much as you want, and then there's vacuums, too. The low pressure pre rinse was stronger than the other high pressure. It did a little better but after being baked on all week those bugs weren't coming off. I'll have to work on that. The hood and the roof need to be repainted anyway but the bumper is new paint and I don't want it to be stained. I hated paying 7 bucks but I did take awhile and washed the whole car and vacuumed it out, so it's spiffy.

When I worked at an auto parts store when I was a kid, a guy from another store would call me and ask for pushrods for a Cosworth Vega. So I would call him and ask for a starter for a 64 Toronado. Don't know, he'd say. My book only goes back to 66. Jocularity.

Allan the junkyard I go to is the same way. But if it's been awhile that they've put down new stone, there are ridges from the forklifts, and if there's fresh stone it isn't always put down even. The lot usually has a little of both. Ya that other carwash had a thing for a credit card, too. I figure anyone who uses that will be paying for everyone for the rest of the day.

Okay off to bed. Overtime in the morning, it's going to be a busy week. I'm up for doing the inspection thing Thursday and Friday. Joy. Have a good night everyone.
Old May 19th, 2019, 05:24 PM
Running On Empty

Glenn & Mike - Absolutely no way is that barn man-cave image mine. But what a gorgeous man-cave, eh?
Old May 19th, 2019, 11:04 PM

Glenn, that Crocker that sold for $500k, was an American bike, manufactured in L.A. Ah yes, the "Vega". I knew a guy who bought a '72 Vega GT new, he had it rustproofed, within three years the front fenders were flapping in the wind. It smoked like no car that I had ever seen before. Chevy replaced the engine block three times, due to the block cracking. Block #3 cracked as well, but they welded it, rather than replacing it. By that time it had 28,000 miles on it, and he traded it towards a '75 F-150. We always said that the "GT" stood for "Got Taken".
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:36 AM

Norm, no my 2nd floor looks nothing like that! Will be basically just for storage. I'm not sure why there wasn't a proper floor there before,only the logs. My neighbor says he remembers putting bales of hay up there as a kid so it must have had some sort of floor boards across the logs, I dunno...
Another grey cloudy day here in the 50-60's. I'm not in too big a hurry to get the pontoon or Cutlass out if the weather stays like this.I have no help today to put down more 4x8 sheets so I think I may dig a new campfire spot over by the barn. I got a used steel campfire ring but I want to mostly bury it so it's out of the ground about 4-5" so you can see the fire when sitting around it. Last one we had I just set on the ground and you couldn't see the fire unless it was a blaze. Speaking of help, my neighbors and old friends (since high school - believe it or not...) have been just amazing. None of us are spring chickens anymore! My buddy who came up and helped the most is a Xray tech and I'm sure isn't used to man handling 4x8 sheets. We had a good conversation in the evening about his 1970 Cutlass Supreme 4 door hardtop he paid $1200. for back in '73. We all thought that was alot to pay as all our other cars were 65-67's or so and cost from $50-150!! I would like to by a nice 3 year old car now for $1200!
Ok enough rambling... Have a good one guys!
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:40 AM
Running On Empty

My Mom came from a family of 14 (Southwest, WI) - mostly all dairy farmers, they have all passed now, Mom was the last to pass. I worked on several of her brother's farms during the summer months. Tons of stories, but relative to true working pole barns, it always appeared to me things weren't quite 'fair'. After cutting, raking & bailing hay for a couple weeks, why did it seem I was always the guy in the loft stacking bails! I remember the first time they taught me how to hook up that long 15'-20' leather pulley/clutch belt from the tractors (mostly JD Model A & B) to various pieces of equipment e.g. augers, barn cleaners, bail elevators, etc. - I was amazed how that thing worked.

My 1st car (1967 4-4-2) purchased in 1969 (16 yrs of age) cost me a fortune - $1695.00
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Beautimus start to the day even though I slept in a bit. I blame it on the Gabapentin. I had to get up around 4:00 am to take some for my foot pain. Sucks to be old and need meds. Right now I have the water going again in the back yard and it's showing great results.

I had been looking for some bezels for my SSII wheels and found some here on CO. A guy had 25 of them for sale and they all looked like they'd just been taken out of the OEM box. They've all been machine polished and the clips look 100% perfect. They're being shipped today and I can hardly wait to get them and install. Shout out to Scott Blackford in NJ.

Somehow I screwed up the carb rebuild on my Homelite trimmer. No problem with the disassembly and cleaning. Must have put one of the gaskets on the wrong way though because it just pours gas out when I prime it. Gotta take it apart and try again.

Dan - Funny stuff. GT. Didn't think of that one but it sure works....

Mike - There was an episode of American Pickers where the guys were talking with an amphicar owner. He was allegedly the guru of the Amphi world and knew most everything about production and mechanical. Can't remember his name though. Did you see that episode, or do you even watch that show?

Marc - You enjoy your family free weekend, or did you miss them?

I think I'll go and buy a new flag today. Time to replace the one that's up there. It's almost 3 years old and looking very faded.
Old May 20th, 2019, 01:28 PM

Got back fro de hills yesterday and decided to get a head start on the week

Mowed grass for 3 hours straight

Got up dis mawn'in and went to smack whitey 45'43

Norm one thing I've noticed about us folks that done stacked hay. We never go on hay rides

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 20th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Running On Empty

40f/40b
Old May 20th, 2019, 02:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

36/34
Old May 20th, 2019, 03:57 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Twas a good day until towards the end when the lead said we were going to be working 4-430 for the rest of the week. No exceptions. We have countless tires and they need to get out. So that means canceling my chiro appointments both days, and it also means Tiger stays by himself an extra two hours every day. He'll probably be okay but the whole thing sucks. And if Mr. Annoying gets out of it then I'm gonna hit the roof.

Beautiful out and hot. I could just sit out on the porch all evening. But I have to get to bed. Maybe I could sleep outside tonight.

Allan I'm sure I know the guy that was on the show, but I don't watch it. If he was in a wheelchair in Colorado, that guy's a *****. If he's from Canada(Orillia?) then that's Gord, If he's from Florida it's probably Dave the Wave. Now, if the show is a few years old, the ultimate guy that forgot more than anyone would ever know was Hugh Gordon. Hugh died a couple years ago but he's the only one who knew everything, literally, about the Amphicar.

Norm you wouldn't happen to still have data plate information on that 67 would you? I'm keeping a list of all 67 cars by last seven of the VIN and build date.

Okay that's it for me. Hope the week started out good for everyone.
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:28 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - No. My Dad was a GM guy - almost entirely Buick. Les Renwick lived two doors from our home - he owned Renwick Motor Sales (Elgin, IL) w/ one of his brothers. Dad always bought his cars from Les. I dropped one drive shaft in Dad's 1959 LeSabre and then another in his 1964 Wildcat convertible. He told me I had to buy and own my own car. He picked out the 4-4-2 for me and told me where to get my loan. For me, cars were cars. I had 57 first cousins on my Mom's side of the family - we had cars out our bazookas. Seems like we would own a different car every other year. I owned a ton of cars, beat up a ton of cars, ran downtown to Chicago with all my friends fixing and upgrading stuff every other weekend it seemed at J.C.Whitney's. Had I known then what I know now about 'classics', I'd never have beaten those things up - maybe! In our youth do we seldom appreciate what the future holds. I'd love to have the data plate and even recall exactly which 1967 4-4-2 I owned but it was plain Jane I'll tell you - front bench seat, no frills except for that screaming frick'n 400 CID engine. That car hauled *****.
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Always room for one more

I made many trips to "The Original Warshawsky and Company" on Archer Avenue. Funny how the JCW catalog and the Warshawsky catalog were identical. Loved that building with the wood floors and the ten coats of paint on the walls. That all went away when JCW built a big warehouse out I-80 somewhere around LaSalle.

Remember my friend who just lost his dad, and has the big yellow lab on his way out? They labored the whole weekend thinking they'd have to put him down come Monday, but today he was relaxed and ate like normal. To get him to go out they steady his front legs and lift up the back end by his tail. The vet said this wouldn't hurt him. So this is the new norm and they aren't crazed over an impossible decision. It only prolongs things but the dog isn't in pain and it eases my friends' hearts so I think it's a good thing.

The wind-down is about done getting ready for bed. In about one minute this gets turned off and hopefully I can get to sleep.
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

James - Speaking of hay. I developed what's referred to as hay fever when I was in my early teenage years which continues to this day - an absolute nightmare to deal with. Turns out what I'm allergic to is perennial ragweed pollen (Ambrosia psilostachya). You want to see an extreme case of an allergic reaction you should see what happens to me when I get within 10' of a field or patch of perennial ragweed - I'm an absolute complete ball of snot - my eyes swell up, my eyes turn completely red, I want to scratch my eyeballs and rip them from their sockets, my nose profusely runs with snot (non-stop, continuous), I sneeze every 10-15 seconds and I am complete miserable mess. I've never experienced anything like it. It's nothing like you can imagine - seriously, unbelievable reaction. I don't cough, or go into any respiratory arrest, it gets in my eyes and nose and I'm a disaster.
Old May 20th, 2019, 04:51 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - You got it buddy. The buildings to us young guys were huge and just like you described. We'd take the Milwaukee Road train from Elgin, IL (it only went as far West as Elgin) to downtown Chicago Saturday mornings to get our car 'stuff'. Yes, me & my friends would often discuss how the OWC & JWC catalogs were nearly identical.
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:02 PM
Running On Empty

Allan - I studied the neurotransmitter GABA pathway in graduate school in several different courses. Gabapentin is the pharmaceutical analogue of GABA. You probably already know this but GABA actually stops neuronal synapse from occurring. Without GABA our neurons would continuously fire and we'd be a frozen neural synapse of nerve cells.
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:09 PM
Oh no, not again...

Well, it's kind of nice around here, the sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and the hottest it got up to yesterday (according to the Electra) was a whopping 60 degrees. Today isn't much better, but it does beat snow.

Allan, my lawn mower is about 8 years old, it's a "Troybuilt" and I got it on sale at Canadian Tire. It has the self-propelled option because I kicked up a fuss that the machine I wanted for the price I wanted to pay was out of stock. It's nice, does the job. It desperately needed an oil change though, and you're right; no drain plug. So I had to tip it over and drain it through the filler. Made a hell of a mess of my garage floor. But I got it all out. Now the mower is a lot happier and sounds better too. Amazing how parched the lawn is, I've been soaking it down for the past 2 evenings now. As for missing my lot, no, not really, it they'd be gone a week or two, then yes, but not for a couple of days. They got back yesterday evening, so today we did some family things.
I'm glad you're one of the few that respects the flag enough to replace it. Even the federal government leaves them hanging until they're totally threadbare and ripped.

Norm, doing a driveshaft in a 59 Buick is a major undertaking and probably was a hell of a bill. That was the second last year for the torque tube drive, and in order to get at the back u-joint you pretty much have to remove the entire rear axle housing from the car. The 64 Buick had a conventional open-driveshaft system so would have been a lot cheaper, except that it has 7 u-joints and a steady bearing. All those u-joints act like CV joints, and have special ball-and-socket dealies in them. It's still a spaghetti mess when it goes wrong, all that to make up a couple of inches in tunnel height. Getting my driveshaft rebuilt in the Electra cost more than to rebuild the rear axle. Now you know why no one fixes up old Buicks.

Dan, - never owned a Vega, but knew a few people who dumped (or tried to) a SBC into them. One of the fastest cars was one that had a 400 SBC in it. My other buddy just ripped one down, dreamed about it, and then hauled it off to the wrecker when his parents wanted their garage back. But I haven't seen a stock Vega in about 30 years. The engine was comparatively successful in Opel; but once loaded down with anti-pollution stuff and then hooked up to a low RPM threshold automatic it was doomed to fail. It was a bit better with a manual transmission, but still an underpowered dog no matter what you did with it. I think the worst car I ever drove was either a Datsun 210 or the Ford Pinto. The Datsun would have been fun, but it had some tricky handling and was dissolving like a shipwreck. The Pinto, well, what can be said about a Pinto that hasn't already been said? Just ***** with a capital S.

Back out to the watering...and then early to bed tonight, long weekend's over, and have to go back to work tomorrow.
Old May 20th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Running On Empty

I owned a red 1970 Opel Kadett Rallye Sport Coupe before I left for graduate school (Univ Of Oklahoma). I had a U-Haul metal luggage carrier on the roof completely stuffed with belongings, trunk was packed, I coudn't see out the rear window, the back was packed to the headliner, the passenger seat stuffed except enough to see the RH mirror. It was -25*F outside, windchill factor of -40*F, wind out of the West between 20-30 mph and I was driving due West to Kansas City, MO struggling to stay warm at 55-60 mph INTO a 20-30 mph headwind. I had two large blankets wrapped around me. I was in disbelief as I witnessed the car doors had separated from the body frame by a minimum of 1" all the way around the entire door of each door from the contracted metal. The following morning in Kansas City, I was parked on an incline in my girlfriends driveway and the right rear tire was flat. I had to remove everything from the car just to jack up the right rear to change what I thought was going to be a flat. Turns out the wheel had actually cracked. That was a cold day in hell.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 20th, 2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What a nice end to the day! Hahahahaha, I showed the missus a weed whacker (Weed Eater - Brand name) that's on sale right now at Lowe's for 89.00. Since my attempt at fixing the Homelite hasn't borne fruit I decided that I MAW buy this and have it in hand while I make a last attempt to get the Homelite up and running. I can't believe that Lowe's has such crappy inventory controls. Their web page showed none at the store just 2 minutes away, but 2 in stock at the West end store. I talked the missus into joining me for the trip, and told her we could also go to the garden center to check out some veggies she wanted to buy, but forgot the other day when we were at Casa Depot buying that new washing machine. We got to the west end Lowe's and surprise surprise! Nothing in stock except two damaged ones...BUT they said that Gateway had 6 of them. Well sheet on a steek. Gateway is another 20 minutes away on the Henday and Whitemud but in for a penny, in for a pound. At the Gateway store I couldn't find one so i asked for help. The associate looked up their puter screen and said , "Yup, we got 6 of em:" So I said "Show me". He hunted high and low and finally found 1. It was the only one in stock. Go figure. The box looked damaged so I wanted to see if the unit was intact, and it was. He told me there's a 30 day money back return policy - no questions asked, which is good because I still think my Homelite can be salvaged. But having this spare is a great option just in case.

Now that we had that unit buttoned in the trunk, it was getting late and I suggested we stop somewhere on the Calgary Trail and have dinner. I found a nice Asian place called Beijing Beijing. At first we were skeptical but what the heck. It was packed!! My missus said that was a good sign because if Asians liked it, the food was likely very good. She was spot on. Not only was it delicious but the servings were TX size. We brought home 3 doggie boxes for my son, and that will save the missus from having to make a special meal just for him. The poke tenderloin I was spoda grill will marinate till tomorrow I guess.

Mike - I'm not sure how old that episode was but yes, it was at least a couple years old. The name Hugh Gordon does ring a bell. For sure it's not the guy in a wheel chair. Trying to remember but I think the amphi was a light color - off white maybe? What I do remember was how versatile it was going from land to water and then back onto land again. I'm surprised at how quick they actually travel in the water. I guess the collector market for the amphi has driven the prices up quite dramatically. Anywho, I'm sorry to hear that Hugh passed, as he seemed to be a very polite and well mannered gentleman. I had to look up that Dave the Wave and found this video. Kind of cool what he does to keep the dream alive

Marc - Yes sir, I'm the only one in this hood who flies a flag, and proudly too. I even have to cut back the neighbors tree as it's encroaching into my yard close to the flagpole and I don't want the flag to be eaten by a stupid branch. My flagpole has been up for almost 20 years now. One year the doorbell rang and it was a fellow from the seniors residence down the block. He handed me a brand new flag and said he appreciated me flying the Maple leaf. Not only for patriotism but it helped him decide if he needed to bundle up just by looking at how the flag was flying. BTW, Happy Victoria Day!

Norm - Exactly. And I need it to work big time to block those neuron synapses that make me feel the foot pain. There's another product called Duloxetine which is supposedly a better option, except the dosage I was scripted is too low and therefore ineffective. I'm going to ask the Dr if he can up the dosage and right now I'm using 700 mg of Gp every 9 hours or so. You probably remember that the threshold for peripheral neuropathy control starts at around 2100 mg, and I've passed that a long time ago. Interesting thing is when I'm active, the neuropathy is blocked by my activity. Maybe it's a focus thing?
Old May 20th, 2019, 09:20 PM
Running On Empty

Allan - I'll tell you what. I live in the boonies. We (well, the city on the other side of the bridge) have only Lowe's and they suck large donkey ***** in every way possible - I hate going in that place. Argh! I don't know jack about dosage and/or thresholds for either GP, PB or Duloxetine relative to (in particular) types of neuropathy - that's M.D. Pharmacology stuff. I studied the various calcium channel pathways of GABA, Acetylcholine [ACh] acetylcholinesterase & cholinesterase inhibitors [general cholinergic neuron pathways] from a biochemistry molecular biology context and not an applied practice. I believe peripheral neuropathy is worse when at rest, worsens at night (sleep) and often doesn't even manifest itself while engaged in physical activity. This has a lot to do with the SNRI pathway which (as you might expect) is regulated via calcium channel pathways. The GABA analogue drugs attempt to influence the SNRI pathway via (seeking) to manage uptake of cholinesterase. The SNRI pathway is modestly complex, suffice it to say SNRI (Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors) activity is highly dependent on the physiological state (sleep/awake). Since Serotonin is the precursor of Melatonin, Serotonin activity influences the body's ability to remain awake and/or to fall to sleep. It's modestly complex, but when you suggest is your neuropathy blocked by activity - yes. Is it a focus thing - not really. It is more of the matter of influencing the amounts of L-Tryptophan, Serotonin & Melatonin in the body - which vary throughout the day based upon being awake (and the amount of physical activity which burns glucose) as opposed to night when you are at sleep or at rest and there is less glucose being consumed. It's really only one of the very many signalling pathways, but it's one I have some familiarity with since I worked on an enzyme (PI3K) which influences all cells abilities to uptake and down regulate the many enzymes involved in channeling ions across cell membranes. Not quite like rebuilding the armature or commutator of a starter motor on a classic Oldsmobile.
Old May 20th, 2019, 11:06 PM

48/32 (today's high and low temps) There is a yellow second design Vega near me in decent condition. It appears to be somebody's daily driver. Back when I had my '66 GTO, which was '1980'-82, I drove a '74 or '75 Vega automatic to consider as a winter beater. I was on Business Route 31, at a stop light, the light turned green, and I floored it. The next light was half mile away, I just hit 50mph as I approached it. I turned around, went back to the seller, and said no thanks.
Old May 21st, 2019, 02:45 AM

Anyone know what the above pic is?

I saw a Cosworth Vega outside a Subway a few years back. I thought I posted a pic here. Maybe I'll hunt for it

Norm, I had a Opel in college too

Old May 21st, 2019, 05:33 AM

Norm, neat story about your frigid trip. It appears the Opel was overloaded?? Yeah.
Allan, your story with the weed wacker is almost exactly as what happened to me about 20 years ago. Since then I never take one apart. If it doesn't start I spray it w/ start fluid, if still doesn't start I go buy a new one for $89.00. Just not worth the hassle. I do fix carbs on bigger lawn mowers, generators, etc, but I think weed wackers are throw aways.
James, is that a window operator? Neat looking...
Looks like a sunny day today, going to see my grandson play ball and see my granddaughters last high school orchestra concert tonight. My how they grow. Oldest grandkid graduates high school this year, then 5 more graduations in the next 6 years! Yesterday wife and I had a big scrap lumber fire in the new fit pit I dug. Was a good day, cold and cloudy but just perfect for working and a big fire. Wife brought over a picnic and we ate lunch at the barn.
Old May 21st, 2019, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

I saw a Cosworth Vega outside a Subway a few years back. I thought I posted a pic here. Maybe I'll hunt for it

Looks like a governor for a steam engine.
Rick
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:38 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

James - It appears the two shafts are designed to continuously rotate with a handle on each side of the one shaft used to turn the shaft (perhaps by hand it would appear). I think the base attachment might simply be nothing more than an attachment point for display purposes only. It suggests to me a type of massage device which might be used for physical therapy used to "knead" the tissues of the body by applying pressure and rotating the handles.

Exactly the same style Opel I had.
Old May 21st, 2019, 10:19 AM

Hmm, I thought that it was a Do-nothing.
Old May 21st, 2019, 11:10 AM

"Exactly the same style Opel I had."

Norm mine was pretty bullet proof except when it got hot summer [highway speeds] it was hard to crank

​​​​​​​SEVERELY abused
Old May 21st, 2019, 12:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It's Tuesday, and the brides BD. Unfortunately it's also super windy out so she doesn't want to do anything outside like we'd planned. Mebbe have to improvise.

Norm - I'm calling BS on that door shrinkage on your car. In the overall law of constants, you'd have a car that would be about 1" shorter which is impossible, and the whole car would 'shrink' proportionately. What were ya smokin that day? Metal doesn't feel windchill so that's just out the window too. The only cars that would exhibit some degree of thermal shrinkage in cold weather are those whose panels are polymers, such as the Saturn, and some other 90's GM products. I've seen panel gaps on the Saturn increase by a whopping 1/16" in severe cold.

Jim - You've never seen that before? It's a bullshit grinder. I have one made of wood, same principle, just different shape.

Greg - The other thing I didn't care for at the Lowes stores was they were horribly organized. HD has them beat hands down in that area, and at least their on line inventory counts are accurate.

Hmmm, what other kind of POS car can we trash now? I know - the Lada. My brother bought one a loooong time ago. It even came with a tool kit. For a reason. Should have been called a Fool kit because nothing about it was even close to workable. I remember a guy at work asked me to drive his Lada back to the shop one day. It was -25 or so and the heater didn't work. Last time I did that for him, and that car was wonky unstable too. It would do donuts on a winter road without provocation. Weird, from the inventors of the famous T34 battle tank, a car that isn't worth a pile of cow dung.
Old May 21st, 2019, 12:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slow day at work. I fussed and stewed about staying late all night last night and the first thing the lead said this morning? Who volunteers to stay late. Well, I wasn't on that list and at 230 I boogied for the door. I just felt wacked all day, maybe it was giving a pint of blood yesterday at the dr's office. Maybe it's the powdered vitamins and such that is supposed to perk me up. Who knows. I got 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night.

When I was but a wee one, my Mom drove a Kadett wagon. It was the requisite green of the early 70s, and really the only thing I can remember about it was the radio would stay on after you shut the engine off. You'd have to turn the radio off yourself or the battery would run down. Hm.

I hadn't seen that video of Dave the Wave before. He's an okay guy, a bit of a wise acre, knowledgeable about the cars and does good work. I love how he says car. Just that Chicago "a."

Okay off to the chiro. Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old May 21st, 2019, 02:25 PM
Running On Empty

Allan - I don't believe I or anyone else stated the windchill contributed to the metal or metal feels windchill? If so, point that out to me? I was freezing my *** off at those temperatures, is that BS? You're jumping to great lengths to suggest the entire car would be ~1" shorter - how you arrive at this conclusion is beyond me. I didn't have a ruler, tape measure or micrometer w/ me at the time to provide an exact measurement for you - let's say it was a LARGE *** gap - will that suffice? A large enough gap which did not exist on a normal day at normal temperatures but which gap was achieved at the temperatures I already described and a constant gap which allowed wind to enter the car along all sides of each door. Likely a combination of the rubber insulation shrinking and the metal contracting as well. Please don't tell me you don't believe metal does not contract when it is chilled. Then, we could have a serious debate on the expansion and contraction of various substances in one of their states - solid, liquid or gas. BTW, there is no overall law of constants, there are many laws of constant and each is unique. So, I'm calling BS to your overall law of constants.

I assume you understand the requirement for bridge expansion joints and how they operate (as one simple example of everyday metal expansion and contraction). Am I missing something here or are you suggesting the metal on a vehicle doesn't expand or contract? Much has to do w/ the materials which comprise the metal and the heat capacity of that material. Am I to understand you believe only a polymer shrinks in cold weather? Or, only polymers used in vehicle fabrication? You certainly have a propensity to argue. I'd just like to call BS to this entire topic.

And, you know the only real reason a polymer would shrink in cold weather was because you saw it: "The only cars that would exhibit some degree of thermal shrinkage in cold weather are those whose panels are polymers, such as the Saturn, and some other 90's GM products. I've seen panel gaps on the Saturn increase by a whopping 1/16" in severe cold." Could you provide visual evidence of your observations? I'm calling BS to your observations.
Old May 21st, 2019, 04:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Old May 21st, 2019, 05:03 PM
Oh no, not again...

Well, if there's anyone who knows about the effects of severe cold on cars, it's Allan and I.
First off, I agree Norm, an Opel has an absolutely crappy heater and they never did learn about cold from Stalingrad simply because no one came back to report how their cars failed miserably in the cold. The Soviets took care of that. So, your point that an Opel is a piece of crap in -25 temperatures is probably fact. My grandfather drove nothing but Opel and not one of them was an exceptional car; - they were all pretty lacklustre and not very good. They had lousy fit and finish, the motors were flimsy, and the interior plastics were brittle and the same shade of calf-***** brown. He had the Rekord, which had a mildly souped version of the Chevy 230 straight 6 in it. POS.
That said, -25 is a temperature that was the daytime high up here for 3 weeks in March. So...my poor old LeSabre sat outside and froze the whole time, I took it into a car wash to de-clump and de-ice it twice. It didn't grow, it just fogged up and was impossible to defog until I scratched it all off. Nor did any of the vinyl crack or shrink, - although the dash will if you come from a heated garage into the dead cold, Key point is not to touch anything, and never place a hot cup of coffee on the dash.
What is fun is watching the cracks in the windshield grow as heat is applied. Mine in the LeSabre looks like a roadmap of Greater Edmonton, it took a nasty rock (it might have been a bolt) last winter and I haven't replaced it yet. Don't know if I will, the car is starting to rust out and may not be long for this earth anymore.

So; what other cars can we slag? Where does one start; Pick one...

The Ford Maverick (Mava-wreck) or Mercury Comet (Vomit)
Pontiac Astre (Ashtray)
AMC Gremlin
AMC Pacer
AMC Matador
Buick Apollo (should be "Apologies to Chevy")
Early Toyota Corolla
Any Mazda from the Seventies
Any Fiat built
Any Renault built
Who's ever heard of a Peugeot?
Citroen, should be "Citron", the French word for lemon
Chrysler K Cars

...And the list goes on.
I didn't mention Yugo because that's too obvious, as is Lada or Skoda.

So who's gonna start?