The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:43 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - Oh yeah, you did mention him. As I recall I don't know him - I don't believe. Similar science backgrounds.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 06:45 PM

Yep ,that was the consensus, you guys never crossed paths.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
The way I look at it Chris is this. His spirit will live on with you for ever, also the ones you inspire to be the best a person they can be. The gift that keeps on giving.
You're right, great memories of someone are the greatest tribute to them! I didn't want to get too far down into the weeds, but Jim Otto grew up in Wausau, Wisconsin. He grew up in extreme poverty. His family lived in an abandoned Chicken Coop for quite some time that was offered to them by some family friends. He came a long way. Love to hear stories like that!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 22nd, 2024 at 07:29 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:20 PM
Running On Empty

I know (more than a couple) closer to a handful of people who reside in Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Grafton/Cedarburg. There is one possibility of a person (male) who could fit the bill. Betsy was BRI Director Robert (Bob) Montgomery's Lab Supervisor @ the BRI (Blood Research Institute) where I was a researcher. I met this person once, maybe saw him twice in 10yrs-12yrs (1992 - 2003). Betsy & this person (partner) shared/resided together (not married) the entire time I knew Betsy (Shorewood). I believe they may have gotten married as I was leaving the BRI. Betsy didn't attend many social events/functions, and the several times I saw her w/ her partner was very few & far between - they more or less had their own agenda(s) both individually and outside of my social group. Noteworthy however is her partner did work in biochemistry & microbiology (somewhere I don't recall). Betsy's background was also in biochem/microbiology. Interesting, I guess.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 03:41 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Two AM came and went. Got up with Tiger and just wasn't feeling it, so I went back to bed. Woke up and felt exactly the same. I think it's going to be a long day.

Need to make a trip to Home Depot after work and get a few things I'll need for the weekend. The joys of owning a house. Or two.

Wheels are slow coming in. Might have to do a quick systems check of the eyelids.

How are things going today Jamesbo?

Have a good day everyone.

Old May 23rd, 2024, 05:43 AM

Norm, my buddy taught at U of W @ Milwaukee. He retired after the state cut education funding a couple of years ago. His wife, who's name I can't recall, is of asian descent. I met her about ten years ago, and as I recall, she was very nice. She hasn't come along on his visits back here as she still teaches, and he comes during the week. His comes back to put flowers on his parent's graves, and then catches up with relatives and friends. She will probably retire next year, as she is tired of trying to teach "unteachable" students.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.
How are things going today Jamesbo?
x2! Jim - Hope you're feeling better with each passing day and get to go home soon.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 06:00 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Betsy isn't of Asian descent so I guess that puts a cap on any notion I'd have known/met your buddy. I hope the Meade tastes good.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 06:22 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - You have a visitor in the waiting room...

Old May 23rd, 2024, 10:12 AM
Always room for one more

Want to tell you guys about my awesome lunch. This will probably turn into a typical long and inane Mike story.

So there's this place near the airport, Skinny's, that I've been going to pretty much since I've lived here. Ran by an older couple. The woman's nickname is Skinny. They are Korean. After my short stint on second shift, I didn't go to Skinny's for years. Occasionally if I were in the area during the day I'd stop in. "Mrs. Skinny" always remembered me. They had a son they didn't have a lot of good things to say about. He was in trouble all the time, drugs, booze, whatever, and for awhile when on parole he would help out. Time goes on and Mr. Skinny died. So it was just "Mom" and Sung. The place was always packed, and just the two of them running the place, and a cashier. More years roll past. Mom has a bad back and can hardly work and she wants to retire. She sells out to a local cop and she retires. Sung starts on a career of Real Estate. The cop, frankly, runs the place into the ground. The floor is sticky, the tables not wiped down, quality of food goes down as the prices go up. And there's an ever increasing amount of people in the kitchen who can't do diddly. Sung stayed on for a couple weeks training everyone how to do things. I had to quit going, because it was just awful. I mourned.

Fast forward to yesterday, and I see my former wall guy, who now works in the hangar, and he said Mom and Sung are back at Skinny's. The cop opened another place in Newnan and runs that and a food truck. So I went in today, guess what I saw. Tables and floor clean. Long line out the door. Mom and Sung -only- running the whole place. Food was great. Just like old times. The prices were still the cop's way inflated prices, but that's okay because things are now back the way they should be. I'll be a regular patron again and I'm so happy.

The menu has a lot of Korean dishes on it, but also chili dogs, egg rolls, cheeseburgers, and several types of fried rice. I get mine with shrimp. And when I went in there today guess who I saw. My old wall guy. He is also Korean and talks Mom and Sung's ears off. Man do I love that place. I've been going well over 20 years.

Okay! I thought that might get long. Thanks if you stuck through it.

We've hit our target already. So we get to sit for an hour and a half before we go home. Eh, I'll reach the end of the internet again. Or take a nap. It's nice out, cloudy, but not raining. What a nice day it's been so far.

Old May 23rd, 2024, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Okay! I thought that might get long. Thanks if you stuck through it.
Mike - Nice story, read every bit of it! It's great to have places like that where you know the food will always be good. The local Diner and Frozen Custard place where I get burgers from at least once a week, Ginny's Kitchen and Custards, is celebrating it's 35-year anniversary (same owner) this summer. I've lived in this same area since 1986 and I have been a frequent customer since they 1st opened in 1989. Their burgers are made with 100% Ground Chuck, always made to order, and never disappoint.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 23rd, 2024 at 12:11 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 01:00 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Good story. Reading a longer (than usual) story from you isn't necessarily going to be inane. Folks who don't read are seriously much more inane.

I'd like to go to Skinny's. My favorite Korean food is a type of fried rice & shrimp. I've eaten at several different Korean restaurants in the Chicago area. Once with a Korean I worked with. He was insisting I should get (try) the Blood Soup (and, it was real blood). Sorry, I don't do blood as a food therefore I don't do Black Pudding when I'm in England.

I'd like to go to Ginny's, also. Sounds excellent since I love custard, as well. I wonder if Ginny is related to Skinny?

Just returned home from my dentist. My intention was to play 18 again today, but I elected to cancel and get an evaluation of the tooth, instead. I may have a cracked tooth (tooth above the crown which came off last week). Been bothering (a nuisance) me about the past 3-4 weeks. Today was an evaluation. Going to put a crown on that tooth next Wednesday morning 8AM.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Just returned home from my dentist. My intention was to play 18 again today, but I elected to cancel and get an evaluation of the tooth, instead. I may have a cracked tooth (tooth above the crown which came off last week). Been bothering (a nuisance) me about the past 3-4 weeks. Today was an evaluation. Going to put a crown on that tooth next Wednesday morning 8AM.
Well that's a bummer, out of the frying pan into the fire. Nothing like constant tooth pain to make you generally miserable. I hope it all goes smoothly for ya Norm!
Old May 23rd, 2024, 05:50 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Well that's a bummer, out of the frying pan into the fire. Nothing like constant tooth pain to make you generally miserable. I hope it all goes smoothly for ya Norm!
Thing is there's no constant tooth pain. Only when pressure is applied and chewing when I hit that one particular spot; so, I want to get this addressed early before constant pain becomes a reality.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 06:09 PM

Thing is there's no constant tooth pain. Only when pressure is applied and chewing when I hit that one particular spot; so, I want to get this addressed early before constant pain becomes a reality.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I had a cracked one once that acted just like you described. I did the same thing as you, I had a crown put on before it became a severe issue.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 06:38 PM
Running On Empty

Don't tell anyone, but Jim is on-line right now.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 06:56 PM

Lemme guess - he’s looking at the pictures of his visitors.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 06:57 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Lemme guess - he’s looking at the pictures of his visitors.
Hopefully...
Old May 23rd, 2024, 07:02 PM

Well we don’t want his heart rate and blood pressure monitors to start alarming.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 07:12 PM

Good deal, thanks for letting us know Norm! 👍
Old May 23rd, 2024, 07:23 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Be sure to aim directly into the bed pan...

Old May 24th, 2024, 01:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I must be better, 2am came and I got up and stayed up. A whopping 3 of us in for overtime. Two mechanics and the guy who greases the bearings. We're sure to get a lot done this morning.

Some people stayed late yesterday and turned out 65 wheels. That's well and good, but they are stacked up everywhere and we can hardly move around. One visit from the fire marshal and he'd put a big hurtin' on us. The lead always says, let's get ahead, but then we stop at a certain number. My feeling is, keep going. That's how we get ahead.

Thanks you guys for reading my story. My heart was just full walking in there and seeing Mom and Sung back there working. Busting *** is what they were doing. It's funny, most anyone I ask Do you go to Skinny's the answer is usually, never heard of it. Well someone must know because the place is always packed. My friend the Korean wall guy hadn't heard of it, but when I said they were Korean boy he was there in a flash, and goes to this day. I think he kept in touch with Sung while they were away.

Jamesbo come out. I need to know how to scald milk. Mom won't tell. By the way, does anyone like ginger?

A joke I heard years ago was, what's wrinkled and smells like Ginger? Fred Astaire's face.

Well I've got lots of cards so I might as well get signing. Even though the cover guy won't be in until 6. I love organization. Have a great day everyone. Friday is upon us!

Old May 24th, 2024, 05:39 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Yes, I like Ginger. I'm not a large fan of eating raw seafood (Sushi or Sashimi). If I go to a Sushi restaurant I generally eat Shrimp Tempura w/ ginger. I have a Butternut Squash soup recipe which calls for Ginger & adds a wonderful flavor. I very much enjoy the taste of Ginger. The last time I made Ginger Snap cookies was prior to the last ice age, but the use of freshly grated Ginger (root) makes Ginger Snaps burst in your mouth delicious. I recall as a kid growing up I liked Ginger Ale. If we were sick Mom would give us Ginger Ale to drink. I've had a Ginger beer a couple of times.
Old May 24th, 2024, 06:33 AM

Good morning guys,

The only thing I can think of I really like with Ginger in it was my Mom's homemade Gingerbread. I like Ginger Ale (Vernor's) too, but it always gives me heartburn so I don't ever get it anymore.

My youngest daughter turns the big 30 on Memorial Day, which is hard for me to believe. Couple of car events this weekend. There's the reoccurring cruise-in at Raising Canes restaurant on Saturday evening. Then there's a judged Show that was supposed be on Sunday, but has already been pushed to Memorial Day because of a high threat of rain Sunday. The judged Show is the one where I won the really cool Tire/Wheel shaped Clock last year.

Hope everyone has a great Friday and Memorial Day weekend!
Old May 24th, 2024, 08:43 AM

Back home from the ICU from he'll.
home PT starting today
Old May 24th, 2024, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
home PT starting today
Sure glad to hear you're back home pardner! That's the best news I'll hear all weekend! 👍
Old May 24th, 2024, 09:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good deal Jamesbo. Back to eating biscuits and rare bit.

Old May 24th, 2024, 10:50 AM

home PT starting today
Welcome back. Talking about tooth pain. started getting pain in my lower jaw last weekend, like there was food wedged in between a couple of teeth. Flossing did no good, then an incisor became VERY sensitive when making contact with anything. It settled down a bit eearlier tis week. Got in to the dentist yesterday, took an x-ray, which showed nothing, then did the cold test on 3-4 teeth, nothing. he did a little poking around and really came up with nothing more a little sensitivity on a canine. As a precaution, he prescribed amoxycillin. We'll see how it goes.
Old May 24th, 2024, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Talking about tooth pain. . . .
We'll see how it goes.
Dan.- Hope the issue has gone away, and stays away. Good luck!
Old May 24th, 2024, 02:40 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - W E L C O ME B A C K.

Damn happy you're out of hospital. You dodged a bullet. You most likely recall Legionnaires outbreak (1976). Mike may have been in diapers.
Old May 24th, 2024, 03:02 PM

Jim happy news keep getting better

Norm I remember those days in 76 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Philadelphia_Legionnaires'_disease_outbreak
Old May 24th, 2024, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Welcome back. Talking about tooth pain. started getting pain in my lower jaw last weekend, like there was food wedged in between a couple of teeth. Flossing did no good, then an incisor became VERY sensitive when making contact with anything. It settled down a bit eearlier tis week. Got in to the dentist yesterday, took an x-ray, which showed nothing, then did the cold test on 3-4 teeth, nothing. he did a little poking around and really came up with nothing more a little sensitivity on a canine. As a precaution, he prescribed amoxycillin. We'll see how it goes.
Dan that exact thing happened to me earlier this year. The anti-biotic snapped it out within days. I think what happened was a food catch in either under a crown or something similar.
I think tooth pain is a 9.923 on the F*&^K scale

Good luck with the recovery, should be quick
Old May 24th, 2024, 03:09 PM

. Going to put a crown on that tooth next Wednesday morning 8AM.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with the fix Norm
Old May 24th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - Thanks.

On a scale between 1 & 10, passing a kidney stone ranks right up there around 100. The absolute worst excruciating pain I have ever experienced in my life.
Old May 24th, 2024, 03:17 PM

Chris I posted a link to a you tube I follow on the site for some interest with the storms that may be effecting you and others. club house section weather and sky Happy Birthday wish for your daughter and yourself a milestone for sure

Enjoy
Old May 24th, 2024, 03:19 PM

Keith - Thanks.

On a scale between 1 & 10, passing a kidney stone ranks right up there around 100. The absolute worst excruciating pain I have ever experienced in my life.
Thanks Norm now I have that to look forward to....seriously my little brother said the same, like pissing rusty razor blades while shak'n like a dog ****'n bones
Old May 24th, 2024, 03:35 PM
Running On Empty

Thanks Norm now I have that to look forward to....seriously my little brother said the same, like pissing rusty razor blades while shak'n like a dog ****'n bones
I've known guys who have to more or less routinely pass stones - I have no idea how they manage. I met one or two gals who passed a stone and they said it worse than giving birth. It's like passing a basketball through the eyelet of a needle.
Old May 24th, 2024, 03:49 PM

Chris I posted a link to a you tube I follow on the site for some interest with the storms that may be effecting you and others. club house section weather and sky Happy Birthday wish for your daughter and yourself a milestone for sure
Enjoy
Keith - Thanks for the b-day wishes for my daughter. I know the thread (weather & sky) you're referencing, I'll check it out, thanks!
Old May 24th, 2024, 03:56 PM

I've known guys who have to more or less routinely pass stones - I have no idea how they manage. I met one or two gals who passed a stone and they said it worse than giving birth. It's like passing a basketball through the eyelet of a needle.
I feel very lucky I've never had to experience passing a kidney stone, it sounds excruciating! I have had severe back spasms caused by a severely pinched nerve in my spine that were so severe I couldn't get myself off the floor. I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance to pain, but that was unlike any pain I had ever experienced, totally debilitating!
Old May 24th, 2024, 04:24 PM

Good luck with the recovery, should be quick
Thanks.
​​​​​​​On a scale between 1 & 10, passing a kidney stone ranks right up there around 100. The absolute worst excruciating pain I have ever experienced in my life.
Oh, hell yes. Been there, done that. No thank you please!