The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

National Anthem

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2021, 08:13 AM

National Anthem

Found this. Being a Veteran I felt a need to post it. I usually mute out the singing if it isn't done correct without any embellishments.

Old February 5th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

What a great message but I doubt whoever is singing the national anthem will ever see it. On the other hand I will not be watching the super bowl this year and have not watched any other NFL games this year. When they started taking the knee during the anthem this old veteran was done. I haven't missed it.
Old February 5th, 2021, 10:18 AM

I have felt that way for years. The National anthem is not something that anyone should be allowed to put on their own personal “touch”.

How can anyone forget Roseanne Barr “singing” the national anthem years ago? I didn’t like her before, never cared for her “humor”, I can’t change the channel or volume whenever she appears.

Im not a musically talented person. I’m definitely the black sheep of my family. My brother absolutely kicks *** on drums, my sister played oboe and flute, my wife plays the violin, my son is a drummer, my stepdaughters can play just about any instrument with little difficulty. I play my stereo, that’s the limit of the music ability. Having said that, I have heard many times the national anthem is a difficult song to sing. It seems like common sense to whoever is in charge of these decisions that selecting someone to sing it should consider that, along with the “image” that selection presents.

Britney Spears is pleasing to the eye to look at, but can’t sing. She “talks” her lyrics. I don’t care how patriotic Kanye West may or may not be in real life, based on his attitude, he has no place performing the anthem. Theatrics have no place in the singing of the a anthem, so unfortunately that limits most of today’s musicians.

Im sure it wouldn’t be too difficult to find someone to respect the honor of singing the anthem, and to do it well.
Old February 5th, 2021, 11:54 AM

I haven't watched a game since the late 80s. The wife and I usually take advantage of the reduced crowds and go do something that we normally wouldn't do because of all the people. It's nice to be able to get out while so many folks are inside.
Old February 5th, 2021, 11:56 AM

When I'm the President of the USA, I will go to the Super Bowl during the last year of each of my terms, and the Anthem will be played by the Marine Corps Band. You may thank me later.

Edit:

Also,

“If you think the last four words to the national anthem are " gentleman, start your engines", You might be a redneck.”

Jeff Foxworthy

Last edited by Koda; February 5th, 2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old February 5th, 2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Found this. Being a Veteran I felt a need to post it. I usually mute out the singing if it isn't done correct without any embellishments.

Ahh Men , Nuff said !!!!
Old February 5th, 2021, 02:35 PM
Olds Fever

Well said... Maybe all the players should stand and sing it and do away with the celebrities............... I know, that would be asking a little too much.....
Old February 5th, 2021, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Well said... Maybe all the players should stand and sing it and do away with the celebrities............... I know, that would be asking a little too much.....
I like your idea, John! I'd rather hear it sung from the heart with a few gaffes, perhaps, than intentionally done wrong trying to show off.

I'm like the rest of you when it comes to the vocals - leave the vocal gymnastics and acrobatics out of it, and sing it like it was written. Now that will really show off singing abilities! I think most of the performers do the funky stuff because, frankly, they don't have the skill to perform it the way it was written.
Old February 5th, 2021, 05:32 PM
Banned

I have heard some great versions. I so agree with the original post. Do not be-on-say this song.

I think Lady Gaga killed it though.
Old February 5th, 2021, 05:50 PM

Or Whitney Huston's version sung during the Gulf war. It put a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye..... Tedd...

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; February 5th, 2021 at 05:58 PM.
Old February 5th, 2021, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tedd thompson
or whitney huston's version sung during the gulf war. It put a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye..... Tedd...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_lcmbvymrs
👍