The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

My son is going into The Coast Guard.

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2014, 06:10 PM
71 cutlass convertible

My son is going into The Coast Guard.

update 8/11/14

update 6/3/14

My son has wanted to go into the Coast Guard since he was about 16. He has been working towards it. He has done all the tests and passed his physical. He has been accepted, he will go in after he graduates high school. He is looking at entering the beginning of Aug. He has been doing Jr. ROTC in high school and enjoyed it. What sealed it for him is he did a mini-cruise last summer at the basic training center in NJ.

Larry

Last edited by lshlsh2; August 11th, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:49 PM

Thank him for defending my freedom! Tell him to not volunteer for anything and that there is no such thing as a coward in the armed forces....All give some and some give all.
God Bless America!
Alex in Idaho USA

Last edited by Alex1972CutlassS; February 6th, 2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:50 PM

You raised him right, congrats..
Old February 6th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You must be very proud as you should be. I certainly appreciate his service to our country. I bet he enjoys the Coast Guard.
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Congratulations! Coasties are good people.

Semper paratus. Words to live by.

- Eric
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Randy C.

I finished a 27-year career in the U.S. Coast Guard in 2000. Your son has something to be very proud about. In these days, getting into the USCG is a very competitive process...recruiters tell me it's the hardest armed force to get into...it takes a sterling record, lots of positive recommendations and a very high ASVAB score. He will be discouraged in boot camp...they will push him to his limits...but keep after him to stay with it because, if he doesn't, there is a line-up of others that want to take his place. The rewards for his efforts will come down the road, 1 year later, 4 years later, 10 years later, and thereafter. It will be interesting to hear what rate/specialty he wants to take. I was a shipdriver and spent much of my career on the larger ships (medium and high endurance cutters) but there are a number of areas where he will find his niche and be able to exercise his expertise. Please let us know his progress and where and what he will be doing!

Best Regards,
Randy Corrigan
Olympia WA
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:06 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Personally I am very glad by his choice. He is very smart but gets bored in school. He is not ready for college. I think he will do very well in the coast guard.

Larry
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:11 PM
71 cutlass convertible

His ASVAB was an 83. Believe it or not he wants to be a cook. It is one of the reasons he is getting in so fast. The original estimate was about 18 months to get in.

Larry
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Thumbs up Bravo

Congrats there...Know a few who managed to brave all the testing and requirements and all I can say is great job and good luck to your son.
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Administrator

It's a very good career, I wish him the best. Tell him not to base his opinion on the few first weeks of boot camp.
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I don't know about the Coast Guard, but I put some time in on some tugboats, and those sumunabiches can work miracles with an ancient diesel-fired coal stove in a tiny galley.

Most popular man on the boat if he can cook a good meal.

- Eric
Old February 6th, 2014, 07:58 PM

I wouldn't want to discourage his choice of rate, but he might also consider the weather service (Aerographers Mate). We had four Coasties in our A school at Lakehurst NJ when I was in the Navy. They almost named their choice of duty stations because there were so few in that rate. And since there were so few in the Aerographers Mate in the Navy, I made E5 in two years and eight months. Could have made E6 if I had re-upped for two years.
Old February 6th, 2014, 08:07 PM

Great to hear, sounds almost like my path to the Navy, ROTC in HS then 4-years as an Avionics Electronic from 88-92. Enjoyed it greatly and the lessons learned from that time still following me to this day. No regrets! Tell him Godspeed and be careful.
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:43 AM
The Noob Messiah

I wanted to THANK YOU to all that are/have served, Thank you for your service, your sacrificed and your dedication to keep me and my family safe.

I had 2 buds from high school that joined the Coast Guard,,,,they were so beaten down when they were assigened to a base in Hawaii LOL....They both loved what they did.
Old February 7th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Oldsdruid

Great to hear! A cousin went Coast Guard straight out of HS and did well. He had planned a career until a vengeful ex-wife planted some outright lies and got him a DD. Hope your boy does well, USCG is a highly honorable career.

Just tell him to be careful around drug runners. John said that was the worst part of his 14 years in the CG and he was glad when he moved from Seventh District to Bellingham, which is where he was when the bitch cut his legs out from under him.
Old February 7th, 2014, 05:15 PM

The CG has a great history both in peace time and war. Great history during WW2. I had the oppurtunity to work alongside the CG in the Gulf Wars. Professional and always dependable. They had some tough duties during Desert storm that took a strong stomach and guts...They also loved to wheel and deal ( as do Navy guys) getting beer in the most crazy places on earth. Good luck and Bravo Zulu to him!
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:05 AM

Congrats!
Old February 8th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Randy C.

Now that is an exceptional ASVAB score.

Being a cook, he will see a lot of sea duty, very much like I did. Most of the billets for cooks are on ships. And, what people said before, the cooks play a big part in the morale of a unit. Great food helps tremendously towards great morale. In my 27 year career, I saw the cooks get better and better as time progressed. And, when I was on ships in the Long Beach, CA, area (2 times, 1987-1989 and 1996-1998), we would sometimes leave a cook on the beach when we deployed for 1-2 months, so that cook could work in an "apprentice" progam in the Queen Mary. We benefited greatly from that!!!

I kind of enjoyed the hunt for drug runners in the Caribbean. Much more challenging and exciting that doing fisheries patrols in the Bering Sea. The top mission for me was search and rescue - finding someone alive in a liferaft after their boat or ship went down is an exhilerating experience.

Worst duty -USCG Headquarters in Washington DC; best duty - assigned to ships in Charleston, SC, and San Pedro, CA.

Randy C.
Old February 8th, 2014, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It's a very good career, I wish him the best. Tell him not to base his opinion on the few first weeks of boot camp.
Umm...yeah. Something I would like to forget. Cold fried bologna on a frosty December morning in Great Lakes, IL.

The food on the U.S.S. Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) was not great, usually edible, but the food at NAS Fallon and NAS Oceana was often pretty good. Shore guys and gals have the advantage because they get the freshest food available. Shipboard, at least on long deployments, doesn't always have that at least until the next ONREP. It is difficult to feed officers and crew (6000 on the TR) 4-meals a day, 7-days a week. The working conditions are hard and cramped, and I rank it as the most thankless job in the military, but I think it is probably the most important. Tell him a 'thank you' will be rare, but do the best he can with what what's available. There will be complaints and teasing from the crew, but tell him not to take it too personally, that's more about busting ***** than anything else. Really all the crew expects from him, and each other, is maximum effort, no more, no less. And if all else fails, grab the hot sauce on 'Yakisoba night.'

Remember; You can **** off your supply and maintenance folks, you can **** off the Master Chief and the officers...
But...
...NEVER **** of the cooks!

Last edited by chrisneu68olds; February 8th, 2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: ...
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:25 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Just showed my son this thread. He thanks everyone for their encouragement and kind words.

Larry
Old February 11th, 2014, 08:07 PM

Nice to see another soldier CO......I'm a 50deuce..."Strike Force". Nice olds...

Alex in Idaho USA...
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:53 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Robert signed papers today for a delayed entry. He will start boot camp on August 5th.

Talk about signing papers. A whole lot of forums, he must of signed his name 25 times.

Larry
Old June 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM

Graduation at the Coast Guard station in Cape May, NJ used to be open to the public. Don't know if it still is. It's nice to see.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:04 PM
Randy C.

Good luck to him. At least he will have a couple of months to rest his writing hand! They will treat him good!

Randy C.
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:13 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Originally Posted by Redog
Graduation at the Coast Guard station in Cape May, NJ used to be open to the public. Don't know if it still is. It's nice to see.

It is open to at least parents and family and already planning to go.

Larry
Old June 5th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Getting There

congrats to your son Larry bet your proud

strange how your kids grow so fast mine is USN and couldn't be prouder
Old July 16th, 2014, 10:54 AM

My buddy in the Marine Corps was a cook, he joined the Marines by accident, when he finally got to the Navy he was very happy. Your son will do great.
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:37 PM
71 cutlass convertible

He went off to boot camp on 8/5. Today we got the first letter so we can now write him. Wife is looking at it as an 8 week summer camp.

Larry
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Summer camp, lol. Good luck to him, remind him that attitude is everything.
Old August 11th, 2014, 07:25 PM

the best advice any military man ever gave me that has stuck with me for over 30 years....YOU GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT!!! Pass this on. He will go so very far with a can do attitude...he'll stick out to his commanders. Tell him BRAVO ZULU from an ole Navy guy.
Old August 12th, 2014, 10:17 AM
Randy C.

Tell him the correct answers are always:
YES, SIR!,
NO, SIR!,
AYE AYE, SIR!, and
NO EXCUSE, SIR!

and he will be fine! And, with all the women in the Coast Guard, now, a MA'AM every now and then is also appropriate!

He also needs to remember "RED, RIGHT, RETURNING" and he will be on his way to success!

Randy C.
27 Year USCG retiree
Old August 12th, 2014, 10:28 AM
71 cutlass convertible

He had some good advice before he went in, from others that have been in the service. He also did 4 years jrrotc in high school. He also did a minnie boot camp during high school at the coast guard training center where he is now. It gave him a taste of what he is going through now.

Larry
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:16 AM

Outstanding, Eyes and Ears open; mouth Closed. The key to success in the military. My grandpa (Coast Guard) told that to my dad (Navy) who told it to me (Army); it worked well.

Bill
Old August 18th, 2014, 07:24 AM

Man there's a lot of you knee-deepers on the this board. I have to respect all you skimmer types though, when the green water is coming up to the bridge. When it got bad on the surface we just pulled the plug. "Diving officer, Take 'er deep!"

Larry, tell your son Chief Dean says Bravo Zulu, and may he always have fair winds and following seas.

Scott
aka FTC/SS