The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Movie Review: Brothers

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Senior Moment Member

Movie Review: Brothers

I went to see the movie Brothers last night with the better half. It wasn't very good and was moving kind of slow and here we come to the part that made my blood boil. Two Marines are being held captive and one is told to kill the other with a length of pipe. At first he refuses but then does it. I walked out. Never in our military's history has one soldier killed another guided by the hand of the enemy. I feel this is a travesty to show our fighting men in this light. What do you guys think?
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Sorry, I've never heard of it. I guit going to the picture show years ago. Sounds kinda FUBAR from your discription. Sorry you wasted so much time and $$$
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Senior Moment Member

No one else left. What is happening in America? This has me crazy!
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM

I think the masses are numb and dumb.

I think every school kids should be REQUIRED to visit Normandy to find out just how lucky we are.
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

That's nice work, Jim. Good for you.
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:51 AM

The dumbing down of America has been going full tilt boogie the last 30 years. With the advent of the Internet this condition has kicked into hyper-drive.

Look at our politicians and see a perfect example. Then we must look at ourselves for voting them in.

Scary stuff.
Old December 5th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Apathy is one of our worst enemies. The history of fighting for this great nation should be part of the school curriculum. Instead it is pushed to the background by the isolationest and pieceniks that no dominate
Old December 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM
GM Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up on the movie. Sounds like a terrible story line and I won't go and waste my money on it. Surprised the marine corps did not issue a statement yet condemning this.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM

AMEN and X's 100 on Jamesboro's thoughts..................... I lost two cousins in WWII (I barely remember them, but DO remember them in uniform); one a carrier pilot killed in the Pacific. The other on the Battan Death March. That generation was truly the greatest, and we (the whole world) should be grateful for their sacrafice. Required history lesson(s) in school. I will have to admit I am a Flag waving SOB!!!!!!
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM

I believe we need to teach our kids about the real hero's fighting for our country today. I got a story through email describing a soldier who diffused IED's that was very moving. I couldn't verify it so I didn't pass it to many people. But those are the stories we don't hear about in the news. They seem anxious to tell us about negative things in the Military, either facutal or fictious. But rarely to we see pictures or hear the stories of soldiers sacrifice to protect their brethern. Or pictures of the medic caring for a wounded child, others of soldiers playing ball with children in nearby villages. You have to go out of your way to find these pictures and stories. I have friends who say they don't support the war but do support our troops. I don't know ANYBODY who says they don't support the mission or the troops. But where are the news stories that build up our troops? OK, if they don't want to say good things about what the solidiers are doing to build bridges with, and care for the civilians over there as that might appear to support the mission. Why can't they say good things about how the soldiers are commited to each others safety and well being? Tell us how our brave men and women have enlisted to serve our country?

Thank you for giving us a heads up on this movie. I won't support that kind of hateful propaganda with my money either!!!
Old December 14th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Olds fanatic

Count me out too. That's a disgrace even by Hollywood's standards. And I agree that it may be appropriate to hear a statement from the military condemning this rediculous and offensive plot line. I think the fact that the enemy (in the plot) created this horrendous scenario is one thing, but to suggest that an American Soldier would go through with this is beyond comprehension.
Old December 15th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Captain of my ship

Nothing wrong with supporting our troops who are now in harms way to help preserve our freedoms. I hope that history will remember those who pay the ultimate sacrifice for freedom in this war as true heros and people who all of us remember with as much or more pride as those who died and served in WW1 and WW2
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Apathy is one of our worst enemies. The history of fighting for this great nation should be part of the school curriculum. Instead it is pushed to the background by the isolationest and pieceniks that no dominate
I agree whole heartedly. My good friend/Toronado buddy/mentor told me last year, this apathy crap has gone into hype drive since 1973 (ie when this country started to go downhill).
But I will say, this country has not seen a decent president since Ronald Regan (no apathy with him).
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
AMEN and X's 100 on Jamesboro's thoughts..................... I lost two cousins in WWII (I barely remember them, but DO remember them in uniform); one a carrier pilot killed in the Pacific. The other on the Battan Death March. That generation was truly the greatest, and we (the whole world) should be grateful for their sacrafice. Required history lesson(s) in school. I will have to admit I am a Flag waving SOB!!!!!!
I will NOT be watching that movie!!!!!
Thank you for sharing that personal history!
A good friend of mine is a Tuskgee Airman (worked on P-51 Mustangs), and I should stop by and vist him for Christmas.
We like chatting aobut airplance and cars (mostly Oldsmobiles)!!!!!
Sidenote: Oldsmobile supplied crankshaft and other interal parts fo rthe some fo the P-51s!
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Captain of my ship

The story about the Tuskegee Airmen is really something but not told for too long after the war.They were one of if not the most sucessfull airgroups in the war but because of different views in the 50's and 60's they were not celebrated as they should have been.