The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Movie remakes

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2020, 07:40 PM

Movie remakes

Over the years there have been many movie remakes, some pretty good some not so good. three come to mind for me,
1.Cape Fear, the original Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum, I really do believe the original was better and Robert Mitchums portrayal of Max Cady was more disturbing than Robert De Nero's Cady.
2. True Grit, well I wanted to hate the re-make because after all no one can replace the Duke !!and that's a fact but I think Jeff Bridges came as close to being perfect as you can get !! Hailee Steinfeld did a good job as Mattie,I think Matt Damon sucked as LaBoeuf (and it aint hard to out act Glenn Campbell) Duvall's Ned Pepper was better than Barry Peppers, over-all I enjoyed the remake two of my favorite scenes are Rooster kicking the kids off the porch at the trading post for abusing the mule and the old man in the bear suit !!
3 well its the holiday season and Miracle on 34th street will air 100 times, sorry you aint replacing Maureen O'Hara or Natalie Wood.
Original hands down.
So there's 3 what are your picks or thoughts on what I listed ?
Old December 8th, 2020, 09:10 PM

If the "Duke" had turned a few wrenches, at least one of the following comments wouldn't hold true. How are dainty hands suppoosed to fire a large-caliburred six-shooter? :

...But the "epitome of masculinity" was actually rather gender-transgressive:
1. His real name was the gender-bending Marion.
2. Watch him walk. He sashays like RuPaul.
3. He had small, delicate hands.
4. He was slim and svelte, nothing like a muscleman.
5. He got his start as a "Sandy Saunders, the Singing Cowboy."
6. In His Private Secretary (1933), his character is a feminine-coded bon vivant who wants to marry a minister's granddaughter, but he's too "debauched."...

I wouldn't replace Natalia Nikolaevna Zakharenko (alias "Natalie Wood") either. I had a crush on her, earlier in life, that stayed with me. I particularly liked the Movie "This property is condemned" of which she starred in as "Alva"

Getting back to remakes, the film "Escape from Alcatraz" played by Clint Eastwood isn't a bad one-off from Burt Lancaster's original

Regarding Robert Mitchum, he was once rated Hollywood's best actor, because supposedly there wasn't a role he couldn't play. In fact, my mom was scared of him, because he played that travelling psychopath role in a real life way

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; December 8th, 2020 at 09:19 PM.