The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Mondello's V.O. Twister II restored (interview)

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2023, 12:49 PM

Mondello's V.O. Twister II restored (interview)

I posted this in General, but I probably should have posted it here in the Clubhouse. I would like to get some more traffic for people to see the results of the restoration. Mods, no problem for you to move or delete as necessary. Here is what I posted.

Those of you who know Dave Worthington (Oldsranch) in SE Dayton OH (Waynesville area) might be interested in this. He and I have been friends for about 21 years and he told me about 5 or 6 years ago that he had been in touch with Mary Mondello and that he bought the original V.O. Twister II back and was going to restore it to former glory. He said (at the time) to not say anything so I didn't and when he finished it, I was like holy hell, badass. Well, it's been a coupla years, but now Bob Powers (some of you may know him) did an interview after the Nats this year at Dave's house. Very nice history and great look at the finished product.

Here's the interview:
Old September 14th, 2023, 01:35 PM
Past Administrator

I'm glad I waited and viewed the whole video, to be rewarded with a startup near the end was cool. Showing my ignorance as I am not a racer, what is the device in front of the driver's head that is plumbed to the valve cover air breater? Additional filtering?
Old September 14th, 2023, 04:50 PM

I think that Cooper boy did the paint. He does nice work.
Old September 14th, 2023, 08:27 PM

Yes, Gregg Cooper did the paint and Bill did striping/etc
Old September 14th, 2023, 08:58 PM
Running On Empty

Great video. Thanks for sharing.
Old September 15th, 2023, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I am not a racer, what is the device in front of the driver's head that is plumbed to the valve cover air breater? Additional filtering?
It looks like a catch can for any blow by oil out of the valve cover rather than allowing it to spew out of a typical valve cover mounted breather.
Someone else can chime in on whether this is right or wrong. I've never seen that before either.
Old September 15th, 2023, 08:58 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by rfpowerdude
It looks like a catch can for any blow by oil out of the valve cover rather than allowing it to spew out of a typical valve cover mounted breather.
Someone else can chime in on whether this is right or wrong. I've never seen that before either.
One of several of my gear head cousins installed something very similar on one of his race cars (early 70s) in Wisconsin. You're spot-on regarding a blow-by catch can, but it's my understanding there are several to numerous ways to install these devices (depending on the device and its configuration parameters) & in theory they help/assist in maintaining or adjusting (manipulating) crankcase/vacuum pressure. I'm not smart enough to elaborate since I'm unfamiliar with their usage.
Old September 15th, 2023, 09:35 AM

It's just a catch can, and as the name implies, catches oil. Those valve covers don't have baffles, just 4 bosses to mount a plate under the hole.
Old September 15th, 2023, 06:43 PM
Past Administrator

So, that is better than a baffled valve cover and standard vent and breather cap?
Old September 15th, 2023, 07:09 PM
Running On Empty

Some of these are NOT simple catch cans. As previously suggested, depending on the type of device and available ports, routing, etc., there is some type of ability to modify/adjust (manipulate) crankcase/vacuum pressure. I can't speak to them with any degree of knowledge because I don't know enough about them. There's a slurry of information out there if you research it.
Old September 15th, 2023, 08:22 PM

With repeated and regular high rpm jaunts, I’m thinking the catch can is best over the standard baffle and breather. Oil pump jamming as much to the top as it does…
Old September 16th, 2023, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Some of these are NOT simple catch cans. As previously suggested, depending on the type of device and available ports, routing, etc., there is some type of ability to modify/adjust (manipulate) crankcase/vacuum pressure. I can't speak to them with any degree of knowledge because I don't know enough about them. There's a slurry of information out there if you research it.
There is; this is not and here's why: the systems you are referring to are carefully sealed systems and usually involve a vacuum pump. This catch can is push connected to a cheap , push in, chrome breather. A real vacuum system uses fittings to seal all the connections. Boosted LS application catch can systems can get somewhat complicated too, but this isn't that, either.
Old September 16th, 2023, 03:09 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by fleming442
There is; this is not and here's why: the systems you are referring to are carefully sealed systems and usually involve a vacuum pump. This catch can is push connected to a cheap , push in, chrome breather. A real vacuum system uses fittings to seal all the connections. Boosted LS application catch can systems can get somewhat complicated too, but this isn't that, either.
Gotcha. That makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Old September 17th, 2023, 05:16 AM
Past Administrator

So in the vehicle shown in the video you are saying it is just for looks.
Old September 17th, 2023, 05:18 AM

If you’re referring to the catch can, it is not for looks. It’s an actual catch can. Def something that would have been used