The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Michigan Police scrapping pistols... why?

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2014, 09:55 AM

Michigan Police scrapping pistols... why?

They have a LONG list of some very nice pistols they are scrapping soon unless the owner shows up to claim them...

Why not SELL these to responsible persons?
Old April 7th, 2014, 10:17 AM

They're at least as stupid, over here.
They had this gun amnesty, a couple years ago, after some school shooting or the like. Anyone who hoarded a gun or inherited one from the time it was legal to own one (before 1945) could surrender it, without getting charged. Instead of selling the guns on international markets, the regime would simply melt them down. Selling the guns would have generated much needed revenue. I guess, since it wasn't their own money in question, it didn't matter. It's no wonder that we have 19% sales tax here
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:29 AM

Scrapping the pistols could destroy evidence of a weapon used in a crime.
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:32 AM
NôôB

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
It's no wonder that we have 19% sales tax here

I will never complain about the 8.25% sales tax we have here ever again, GEEBUS!!!!
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:37 AM

Most police depts. do this. Some do it when they retire old service weapons as well. I believe the military does this now also. They did it with their old Hum-Vees too. The world just gets dumber.
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
They have a LONG list of some very nice pistols they are scrapping soon unless the owner shows up to claim them...

Bad Publicity. Invariably every time police departments sell abandoned guns one of them ends up used in a crime and the police have egg on their faces.
Old April 7th, 2014, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
I will never complain about the 8.25% sales tax we have here ever again, GEEBUS!!!!
Neighboring Switzerland raised the sales tax from 7.6 to 8%, a couple years ago. They have better roads and better infrastructure, in general, than Germany, despite being a smaller country with not enough agrarable land to feed the population without food imports.
Michigan's salestax was at 4%, when I left
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:06 PM

We're paying 5% fed sales tax ... and 9.975% provincial on the federal. Here's a laugh for ya ... anyone else paying tax on stamps?

They're scrapping the guns for one simple reason ... no police force anywhere wants an armed population. No matter what their public statement, no matter what your legal rights, ... if you're armed, you're their enemy. Period. 'Vigilantes' in Mexico have done more to clean up gangs and crime in a year than the entire law enforcement structure, with the US CIA and FBI included .... what's the official position? The vigilantes must disarm. Armed criminals keep law enforcement employed. Armed law abiding citizens ... they're dangerous.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:15 PM

I think, you mean those "vigilantes" are a form of neighborhood watch?
At one of those ports, Chinese raw chemicals for brewing meth was shipped in and they took precious metals in trade. One of those drug cartels, down in that corner, even got citizens to grab arms and fight the intruding government forces which did nothing all along, except ignore or took part in organized crime
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:22 PM

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-26918961

Not saying anything else on the subject, don't really need to.
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:38 PM

Some say, this vigilante group might be infiltrated by the Templar Cartel, to a certain extent
Old April 7th, 2014, 02:04 PM

Neighboring Switzerland raised the sales tax from 7.6 to 8%, a couple years ago. They have better roads and better infrastructure, in general, than Germany, despite being a smaller country with not enough agrarable land to feed the population without food imports.
Michigan's salestax was at 4%, when I left
We've been at 6% for quite a few years now.
Old April 7th, 2014, 03:59 PM
1969 cutlass convertible

Once again the police take the blame for everything that's wrong. First off police don't make any laws. They are law enforcement officers. They only follow the laws and rules that are made by the the law makers. That's what they are sworn to do. If the laws are stupid they still have to enforce them. I once heard an interview with a British police officer who was working with the Dallas police. He was asked what is the difference between police in the uk and the u.s. His answer was in the uk we hire an officer to enforce the law support him and expect him to do it. In the u.s. You hire a police officer to enforce the law an then you dare him to do it.
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM

so, you can't just go down and claim one of them bad boys, eh?

Dang.
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM

The Police dept isn't in the gun business they want to get guns back to original owners or get the hell rid of them.
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM

The ultimate goal is to disarm the citizen. We have gun buybacks here in NJ, no questions asked. The newspapers often show the catch and I have heard rifles shotguns and pistols are oftenturned in by widows who are left with war relics and collections and hunting arms. To see these collectable guns headed for scrap is sinful in my eyes.
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:01 PM

It's no wonder that we have 19% sales tax here
Try 25%.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by jag1886
The Police dept isn't in the gun business they want to get guns back to original owners or get the hell rid of them.
Well, there are a lot of better ways to "get rid of them"
Like, sell them to licensed dealers at auction, and give me some of my tax money back. Or fix these damn roads at least. You guys in other states have SO MUCH BETTER roads- I have travelled a bit lately.

To scrap perfectly good items of any sort is just irresponsible.

But it happens a lot...
Old April 13th, 2014, 06:31 PM

I've heard about guys setting up outside gun buybacks and paying people more money for their guns to save them, sometimes people trade in very rare and valuable guns, and sometimes the cops save them but usually they get scrapped. Some crazy old lady brought in a real **** STG-44 assault rifle her husband brought back, luckily one of the cops knew what it was.

My friend's ex's idiot mother found a real German Luger her father took off a dead officer during WWII and turned it into an amnesty for NOTHING to be destroyed, my friend and I were raging when we heard this because even in Canada, there is a special exemption for people who find historically significant, rare, or antique firearms who do not have a PAL (Possession and acquisition license) where if they do not want to get their license they can apply for a special permit that allows them to possess that one firearm.

I live in Canada so I am very familiar with idiotic gun control laws, back in the 90s they literally picked up an issue of gun digest and circled everything that looked scary, I am not kidding, they havent updated the lists since the early 90s though so there is all sort of new stuff we can own no problem. But, for example, the H and K G11 is banned by name, now if you don't know what that is, that is an experimental German gun that saw service in very small numbers using experimental caseless ammunition and now they are all in museums, even if you had one you could never get the special caseless ammo but that is banned by name in Canada, it had a cameo in "Demolition Man" as the future gun Wesley Snipes steals.

Our government is so stupid that shortly before the firearms act in the early 90s they handed out tons of Valmet Hunters to the Native tribes up in the frozen north who needed good reliable rifles to support their families. The Valmet Hunter is a Finnish AK47 variant that has a traditional style stock and foreend and has been optimized as a hunting firearm, a few years later these people got letters in the mail saying their hunting rifles the government gave them were now dangerous prohibited weapons and they had to apply for grandfathered status to be allowed to keep them, these guys complained and the government realizing their mistake had a motion to make an exemption, so the Valmet Hunter and the military style version the Valmet M76 became legal, the funny thing is if you read the reasons why all of them apply to the modern Saiga sporter and similar AK pattern rifles that are illegal here, also the SVD Dragunov is banned as an "AK Variant" even though it has a completely different action. There are even some tactical type bolt action rifles from the 80s banned by name that otherwise would be perfectly legal because they had a bipod or a scary scope.

This is my baby that technically shouldn't be legal but got in through a loophole. Its a CZ91 Skorpion in .380, a real Czech made civillian version, not a Yugo or other copy, and not a version made in the US.

Old May 6th, 2014, 09:42 AM

How about removing the barrel and selling the rest for parts then?

Crikey it took me weeks to find an extra magazine for the old S&W 39-2 I acquired recently.

We NEED our roads fixed here. Throwing away money is irresponsible.
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Octania

I've just ordered my second Australian police surplus revolver. There was a big debate over there (down under) as to whether they should sell these guns to the American public in good conscience. In truth, many firearms sold in the US come from all over the world, whether used or new.

Not sure I'd want a gun that the police "found" though. I'd like to maybe know it's history a little better. Best wishes.