The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Memorial day

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2019, 04:01 PM

Memorial day

Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:09 PM
MOTORHEAD

Sacred Duty

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60394474...#sp=show-clips

Thanks to all the Veterans for your service
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:46 PM

X2 same here. It ain't about the burgers and franks... Tedd
Old May 24th, 2019, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the reality slap. Im sure most kids these days and even young adults dont realize the true meaning of the holiday and we should all slow down and recognize the sacrifice that some made so we could be here and live in this great country.
Old May 24th, 2019, 06:41 AM

Thank you for creating the thread Jamesbo
Old May 24th, 2019, 08:34 AM

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend all! Any other retired National Guard guys or gals here? 12 years in MnARNG MOS 19E10
Old May 25th, 2019, 08:27 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, thank you for starting this thread and I don't think there could be a better illustration. When somebody says "have a happy Memorial Day" you know damn well they have no idea what Memorial Day is about. It is not happy, it is solemn. It is not just a time for a long weekend to cook out, get on the lake and have a big old time. It is fine to do those things but please take a moment give thanks to those who paid with their lives so we are able to do these things. If you are reading this thread, please take the time to at least post a brief thank you. The holiday is not for us surviving veterans. We have our day in November. It is for the memory of these special veterans and their families. Good bless them.
Old May 25th, 2019, 08:39 AM
Phantom Phixer

Thanks for posting this thread .
It's a good reminder of what Memorial Day is REALLY about .
Old May 25th, 2019, 11:31 AM
Always room for one more

Thank you to the veterans who served and are still serving. I don't think thank you is enough for those who paid the ultimate.

Jamesbo, my grandmother used to call this Decoration Day. I think she visited Granddad's grave once a year, and it was on Memorial Day. Glenn I know I don't say thank you enough. I need to do better.

Hope everyone stays safe.
Old May 25th, 2019, 12:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have noted Memorial Day countless times in my life without really knowing what it symbolized. Mike's grandmother had this right in her observation - to some it is called Decoration Day. From what I saw (in a brief snapshot) this is how it's eulogized.
Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. ... Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971.
I'm not American, but I offer my sincere condolences and respect to the families who have lost loved ones in the service of the USA, and pray their sacrifices will never be forgotten - or abused.
Old May 25th, 2019, 01:02 PM

Bravo, I am a disabled Veteran and thanks so much for the post, MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 25th, 2019, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Allan R
I have noted Memorial Day countless times in my life without really knowing what it symbolized. Mike's grandmother had this right in her observation - to some it is called Decoration Day. From what I saw (in a brief snapshot) this is how it's eulogized.

I'm not American, but I offer my sincere condolences and respect to the families who have lost loved ones in the service of the USA, and pray their sacrifices will never be forgotten - or abused.
Growing up I remember when it was called Decoration Day, it was celebrated on May 30th. Memorial Day, the last Monday of May, is a day of mourning of those that gave the ultimate sacrifice, not a celebration. Rest in Peace.

Nice touch with the flags Allan.
Old May 25th, 2019, 02:56 PM

I'll go see my grandparents this weekend at the cemetery. He was Corps of Engineers, a light bird colonel. Fortunately, he survived the war, so Memorial Day is not directly for him, but he's worth going seeing anyway on a nice spring day along with my grandma.
Old May 25th, 2019, 03:13 PM
Olds Fever

Posting in memory of the "FALLEN" who gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country to preserve the freedoms that we have today... We truly need to realize the meaning of those sacrifices and NOT take them for granted... Since we can't thank them in person, we DEFINITELY need to HONOR them...
Old May 27th, 2019, 06:37 AM

I recently visited a D-Day Memorial in Bedford Virginia. This town lost the most soldiers per population ratio on D-Day . It is an awesome place to visit and a great tribute to those fallen hero's. If you ever get a chance to visit there it is a somber remembrance . Thanks to all who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.
Rick