The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Memorial Day

Old May 25th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Memorial Day

Just a little tidbit of history. On Memorial Day, the flag of the United States is raised briskly to the top of the staff and then solemnly lowered to the half-staff position, where it remains only until noon. It is then raised to full-staff for the remainder of the day.

The half-staff position remembers the more than one million men and women who gave their lives in service of their country. At noon, their memory is raised by the living, who resolve not to let their sacrifice be in vain, but to rise up in their stead and continue the fight for liberty and justice for all.

Give a moment before you run out to the sales, cookouts, and car shows for all the people who gave their lives so you can enjoy your freedoms.
Old May 25th, 2018, 05:28 PM

As a Viet Nam vet ('67-'68) I will have my flag raised proudly on Monday.
Old May 25th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Vet here too. Going to Wall Mart on Monday and buy another ERA cap. Haven't seen the wall in some time when I do I look up my best friend I lost. I was lucky and went to Korea in 1968-69 Drafter 2 years worked for the Gov't for 23 years and retired with 25 years total.
Old May 25th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Eric, thank you for this post and the tidbit of history. I would ask that you all remember the families and loved ones of those who have paid the ultimate price. I lost two school mates in Viet Nam. The hurt for these families never goes away. They just learn to live with it. God Bless them and God Bless the USA.
Old May 26th, 2018, 07:38 AM

Don't forget to fly your flag, be proud that you are a American and honor those who paid the ultimate price...... Tedd
Old May 26th, 2018, 03:10 PM

Too many do not know the difference between Memorial (Decoration) Day, Veterans (Armistice) Day, and Armed Forces Day - or have forgotten what each day represents and who should be commemorated on each day.
Old May 28th, 2018, 06:22 AM

I am not a Veteran and I thank all Veterans for their service. My flag fly's everyday for them and for others lost on American soil due to acts of war. Your service is greatly appreciated. My son was giving me some issues about marching with the scouts today in the local Memeorial day parade and I had to give him some insight on the importance of his and others support. I learned this at an early age and was reminded 17 years ago what it means to serve this county. Again, I thank all Veterans for there service so I can have the opportunity and privilege to be able to address my son.

"If you can read, thank a teacher. If you can read english thank a Veteran!"

Last edited by zeeke; May 28th, 2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old May 28th, 2018, 07:08 AM

zeeke,

the last couple of years i have attended a car show event in the indianapolis area in late october which is sponsored by a local boy scout troop. as a veteran of the usaf, i was very impressed with a flag retirement ceremony which is conducted by the troop on their camp ground at the show. the proper way in which "the stars & stripes" is retired in a flag burning is a 12 minute ceremony that the troop takes very seriously along with the scout master ---solemn & respectful. i really admired the fact that a group of 12-14 yr. olds carried themselves in such an outstanding manner...... feel real proud taking the time to get involved with the local scouting program in your area.

dal442